BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 minute ago, Garage Flower said:

Not jumping the gun or owt but I hope we don’t come up, spend @#/? all, sell Dack in January, Mowbray walks then back down we go.

It’s the hope that kills you isn’t it genuinely thought we’d see a bit of investment. Gonna be horrible this summer. 

Lets see what comes from those talks 1st.

It could free transfers and loans or maybe just a couple millions pounds for players. 

But Mowbray is meeting the owners face to face which is a big positive and hopefully he can convince them to back him and his plans. 

We dont know how many players Mowbray wants?

IMO we need 6 or 7. 

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Lets see what comes from those talks 1st.

It could free transfers and loans or maybe just a couple millions pounds for players. 

But Mowbray is meeting the owners face to face which is a big positive and hopefully he can convince them to back him and his plans. 

We dont know how many players Mowbray wants?

IMO we need 6 or 7. 

No you’re quite right let’s see what happens yet. I can’t see him walking he wants a full season in Championship. We need a good few players, we need lads ready to come in and be starters. He’s mainly been good in the transfer market.

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

From.Nicko

Blackburn. Mowbray going to India for budget talks. Some close to Venkys say there might not be much cash around. #bitinpaper

That bloke lost his scoops when Kean left.

I could write “a bit in the paper” saying Rovers don’t have much money to spend.

Venkys meanwhile have millions.

Bit odd if they dont have cash around - isnt their main business doing better than ever right now?

Besides, i thought there were two budgets drawn up, one for Championship and one for league 1? What was it then, fck all and fck all.

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting much backing in the last close season but I was wrong. We did get a bit of money to spend. The problem is a £750,000 player can make a big difference in this league, in the Championship it's £7.5 million players that make a big difference.

I'm not sure Venkies want to get back in that game, we'll know before too long.

I'm not going into it again but Mowbray has signed his share of flops as well as the success stories. Will they think the money he has been given has been spent wisely in terms of player re-sale value ? Take Dack out of the equation and how many of his signing have increased in value ? 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Remember with Venkys & their 'advisors' there's ALWAYS a very real chance of rinse and repeat !!!

This is the absolute only grain of success in their tenure so if they screw it up now it will be truly horrific and unforgivable and if anyone backed them after that you'd really need to visit a head quack.

However it's understandable if there isn't wads of cash around as the increase in income will be quickly swallowed up by all the pay rises, new contracts and bonuses etc. What we'd expect is them to find just a couple of mill on top of that to invest in the team in some decent buys and reinvest ALL from any unwanted sales.

Not really too much to ask is it, it's a proven formula.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wasn't expecting much backing in the last close season but I was wrong. We did get a bit of money to spend. The problem is a £750,000 player can make a big difference in this league, in the Championship it's £7.5 million players that make a big difference.

I'm not sure Venkies want to get back in that game, we'll know before too long.

I' not going into it again but Mowbray has signed his share of flops as well as the success stories. Will they think the money he has been given has been spent wisely in terms of player re-sale value ? Take Dack out of the equation and how many of his signing have increased in value ? 

Smallwood would have but you are right. Some think his overall signings have been great but id say average tbh. Dack, Smallwood, Downing (to an extent) from the perms have been positives but Gladwin, Caddis, and Whittingham have been pants and Samuel has been disapointing, so you could say 3 out of 7 which is not that great.. I did not include Bell as its difficult to say as we have not seen enough of him yet.

As for loans, you could argue he has done better here with Chapman, Armstrong, Payne and Antonsson at least contributing and being a part of the squad.

As for 7.5 million players being the equivalent of 750k players in League 1, you are probably right in terms of proven quality. I still feel that there are plenty of shrewder signings that could be made that would improve on what we already have or compliment it. id rather this than going back to big transfers fees that could do more than good as happened the last time.

Would be nice if they could throw 5 mil in though if it was used to pick up 2 or 3 decent players with potential and with future resale value. Then work with out of contracts and loans for the rest.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Smallwood of the first half of the season, definitely. The Smallwood post January ? I'm not so sure.

Well he practically had no value when we signed him after he was out of contract at a relegated Rotherham. He now has a promotion on his CV having been an ever-present in the lineup. Pretty sure thats nailed on increase in value.

Big test for him is if he can cope in the championship.

• Backroom

News at 11: Nicko takes a 50/50 punt!

He’s proven right if we don’t spend and if we do then he was right but Tony changed their mind.

I was sat across from a man from Pune on the train last week so I’ve probably got more sources close to Venkys than Hacko

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

From.Nicko

Blackburn. Mowbray going to India for budget talks. Some close to Venkys say there might not be much cash around. #bitinpaper

I am reassured by the fact that he rattled off comments about loads of clubs. So he was going to say something about rovers even if he has no info.

But given what we have been through I think that, if it is just fiction, then it is out of line coming out with something like that. 

Mowbray sounds like he will want to see some commitment. I'm as nervous as during the promotiin run in. 

2 hours ago, Bucksrover said:

I am reassured by the fact that he rattled off comments about loads of clubs. So he was going to say something about rovers even if he has no info.

But given what we have been through I think that, if it is just fiction, then it is out of line coming out with something like that. 

Mowbray sounds like he will want to see some commitment. I'm as nervous as during the promotiin run in. 

If Mowbray can’t make Madame fall in love with football then nobody can.

(My money’s on nobody).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Well he practically had no value when we signed him after he was out of contract at a relegated Rotherham. He now has a promotion on his CV having been an ever-present in the lineup. Pretty sure thats nailed on increase in value.

Big test for him is if he can cope in the championship.

Smallwood will be no good in the championship. He's far too slow, players glide past him a lot and once a player gets past him he doesn't track back quick enough. Some quality players in championship who will like playing against him. 

• Backroom

The majority of Mowbray's permanent signings haven't been great imo, although our best overall signing and the reason we got promoted was a permanent in Dack, so... OK. His loan signings have generally been decent, which is good as I get the feeling he'll be relying on a few more loans next season. 

The level of investment over the summer will determine the sort of level we're competing at next year. If we're going to compete towards the top end of the division I'd say we need ideally:

Big nasty centre back experienced at Championship level. Big nasty midfielder experienced at Championship level, Creative midfielder, 2 wingers one of which hopefully Chapman if he can demonstrate his fitness. Proven goal scorer at Championship level.

Out: Caddis, Williams, Evans, Conway, Samuel, Whittingham

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Bit odd if they dont have cash around - isnt their main business doing better than ever right now?

Besides, i thought there were two budgets drawn up, one for Championship and one for league 1? What was it then, fck all and fck all.

No----fck all +

19 hours ago, Bucksrover said:

If Nicko is as wrong about Rover's transfer budget as he usually is then that gives us cause for optimism!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The level of investment over the summer will determine the sort of level we're competing at next year. If we're going to compete towards the top end of the division I'd say we need ideally:

Big nasty centre back experienced at Championship level. Big nasty midfielder experienced at Championship level, Creative midfielder, 2 wingers one of which hopefully Chapman if he can demonstrate his fitness. Proven goal scorer at Championship level.

Out: Caddis, Williams, Evans, Conway, Samuel, Whittingham

I agree 100% with who we need to sign. We need a few more nasty players in our team for the fight, no doubt about that. 

Completely disagree about Williams, would be very unnecessary letting him go. He is a decent option at left and centre back. You don't mention a replacement in your potential signings so who covers at left back?

I am on the fence about Evans and Samuel. If we got good offers for both I would consider it, but I don't think we will get offered enough that it would actually make sense to release them and then need to find replacements. 

• Like 2

I would like to point out that Venkys share price has ROCKETED up. It was 400 rupees per share during the 16-17 close season. It is now 4000 rupees per share. 900% increase. They have made a huge amount of money in the past year. Now let's see if they are willing to part with 10-20m. It is feasible for them at the moment. 

EDIT - Math error / :P

Edited by rovers1993

57 minutes ago, rovers1993 said:

I would like to point out that Venkys share price has ROCKETED up. It was 400 rupees per share during the 16-17 close season. It is now 4000 rupees per share. 1000% increase. They have made a huge amount of money in the past year. Now let's see if they are willing to part with 10-20m. It is feasible for them at the moment. 

A share price going up only brings in funds if the shares are sold and Venkys aren't going to do that and lose control of their own company. More relevant is how they are going to recover the £150m they have loaned to the club........

58 minutes ago, rovers1993 said:

I would like to point out that Venkys share price has ROCKETED up. It was 400 rupees per share during the 16-17 close season. It is now 4000 rupees per share. 1000% increase. They have made a huge amount of money in the past year. Now let's see if they are willing to part with 10-20m. It is feasible for them at the moment. 

400 to 4000 is a 1000% increase ? Not when I went to school.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I agree 100% with who we need to sign. We need a few more nasty players in our team for the fight, no doubt about that. 

Completely disagree about Williams, would be very unnecessary letting him go. He is a decent option at left and centre back. You don't mention a replacement in your potential signings so who covers at left back?

I am on the fence about Evans and Samuel. If we got good offers for both I would consider it, but I don't think we will get offered enough that it would actually make sense to release them and then need to find replacements. 

The problem is that Williams and Evans have shown in the past they can't really cut it at Championship level. I'd say both have been at the correct level this season and even then there have been a lot of questionable performances.

I'd keep Williams as backup, but I'd get Evans out the door at the first opportunity. Let's be honest, the only players still at the club from the Bowyer era are the ones nobody else wanted. We sold everybody remotely decent (note I'm talking about Bowyer's signings & mainstays, Cairney, Rhodes, King, Gestede, Hanley, Duffy... hell, even Jason Lowe found a Championship team willing to take a punt).

I'd also have Samuel out ASAP as he's shown nothing to suggest he will even be worthwhile as backup in the Championship. We might have to make do with loaning him out though as I'm not sure there will be many interested parties as far as a permanent transfer goes. 

• Like 1