BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chaddy I played at a good level of football. Mainly either left or right back but as a lad I played all over the park. The attributes I needed to be a good left back then are exactly the same as you need now to play well at  left back now, nothing has changed in that respect.

You needed pace, quickness in the turn, you needed to know when and where to commit to the tackle, how to jockey the guy you were playing against. Decent heading ability,  the ability to pass accurately with both feet, short passes as well as long. You need to be able to communicate clearly, especially with the rest of the back four and the guys playing directly in front of you.

What applied then applies equally now. Fitness, tactics, formations etc can all be taught. Inate footballing ability comes with playing from the minute it gets light until the minute it goes dark. And then it was under the street lights for more.

I used to knock about with a guy who played as a striker for England Schoolboys, he practiced with a tennis ball on a cobbled street near his house.  In games you couldn't get the ball off him.

You're dealing with the Football Manager generation. They think football is Rabona's, False Nines and a goal celebration that makes them look 'edgy'. The ability to think quickly, trap a ball and not get a tragic tattoo has been lost somewhere along the way. Progress my arse.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

One thing is for sure - there hasn't been a stampede from other clubs wanting to snap Conway up. That tells me a lot.

And that works in Rovers favour if they do want him as a bit part experience player ..they can offer him less .

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Practically every other ingoing and outgoing that takes place at the club this summer is more important than Conway signing a new deal. It's happening, those that disagree just have to deal with that. 

It's a tricky one though pal, if he'll stay for a modest wage it's a no brainer he strikes me as a true pro and one of the leaders in the dressing room but if, as might be likely, they are throwing a 10k plus per week championship wage at him it puts another slant on it.

That could mean we can't contribute to a Sam Gallagher type loan wages or even a Chapman so you can see why people want to let him go. I'm a fan of him but echo others in he does struggle now and I don't like setting out the start of every game with a knackered defensive winger on one side and an out of position striker on the other. This league is unforgiving and we'll get quickly found out with that but if he has guys on decent money he has to justify it I think it's been said a few times the owners question why big earners are sat on the bench.

• Like 3

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Going off TMs comments about recruiting young up and coming talent into the squad ,keeping someone like Conway may not be a bad thing.He seems like a good professional,never seem to hear anything untoward regarding his life outside football and has Championship experience to pass down to the (hopefully) new young recruits that TM is aiming for .

I think that's the point that has been missed. It was fairly obvious that Conway was going to get a new deal when Mowbray came out in the LT (not that way) a month or two ago and said that the team manages itself and that the most important figure in that regard in the changing room was Conway. Or words to that effect.

Team spirit has been a massive factor in this seasons success as has been acknowledged by everyone at the club, and as has been obvious to anyone watching. Conway will be vital to that because it will be his job to tell people in the changing rooms to wind their necks in when needed. It could be argued that Mowbray will see Conway as his best signing this summer in a changing room full of young lads with egos..

• Like 1

• Backroom

For the record Jacob Davenport was a Tommo exclusive you need to credit me any time his name is mentioned.

Fuds

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

It's a tricky one though pal, if he'll stay for a modest wage it's a no brainer he strikes me as a true pro and one of the leaders in the dressing room but if, as might be likely, they are throwing a 10k plus per week championship wage at him it puts another slant on it.

That could mean we can't contribute to a Sam Gallagher type loan wages or even a Chapman so you can see why people want to let him go. I'm a fan of him but echo others in he does struggle now and I don't like setting out the start of every game with a knackered defensive winger on one side and an out of position striker on the other. This league is unforgiving and we'll get quickly found out with that but if he has guys on decent money he has to justify it I think it's been said a few times the owners question why big earners are sat on the bench.

10k a week is nothing for the de facto leader/manager in the dressing room at a club where there are so many young lads who might be getting ahead of themselves. I doubt he'll be on that though. Mowbray openly said out of contract players in their 30's need to realistic.

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Great, where abouts is it you live ? I'll pop around later for your cheque. Get the cat a goldfish. 

I'd imagine we could be in for both Armstrong and Chapman without my contribution, and would be happy to have both back. 

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

All true, but Mowbray obviously sees him as someone he wants around for whatever reason. I do wonder how ruthless Mowbray would be in these situations, but I suppose he did let Ward and Feeney leave, granted on loan 1st to give them a fair crack at earning a new deal elsewhere. 

If the budgets were so tight that offering Conway makes or breaks other deals, I am assuming Mowbray wouldn't be offering it 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

The reason is he manages the dressing room. Mowbray said so.

Ya, I would say he is one of a core group of senior pros that Mowbray wants around. His lieutenants I suppose. I don't see Conway starting many games to be honest. MAny clubs have players like that around...

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

All true, but Mowbray obviously sees him as someone he wants around for whatever reason. I do wonder how ruthless Mowbray would be in these situations, but I suppose he did let Ward and Feeney leave, granted on loan 1st to give them a fair crack at earning a new deal elsewhere. 

If the budgets were so tight that offering Conway makes or breaks other deals, I am assuming Mowbray wouldn't be offering it 

Fair point i'm not sure he'd keep Conway on a fair whack at the expense of new blood. For me Mowbrays biggest strength as manager at Rovers hasn't been his style of play or tactics but just his overall experience of management, something we've never had under Venkys so we'll have to trust him on this one.

Mind you i'll be moaning like fook if he's starting Conway every game next season you just watch ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

10k a week is nothing for the de facto leader/manager in the dressing room at a club where there are so many young lads who might be getting ahead of themselves. I doubt he'll be on that though. Mowbray openly said out of contract players in their 30's need to realistic.

Hope so but it seems the bog standard championship wage these days.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15774428.Tony_Mowbray_welcomes_the_return_of_Craig_Conway_as_he_challenges_Rovers_winger_to_provide_a_goal_threat/

“I know that Craig looks after all the discipline side of things within the dressing room for myself and the staff.

“I don’t live in their dressing room so if someone is five minutes late and I’m on the phone, Craig manages that and makes sure that the dressing room is managed properly, professionally and efficiently. His personality allows him to do that.”

• Like 4

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15774428.Tony_Mowbray_welcomes_the_return_of_Craig_Conway_as_he_challenges_Rovers_winger_to_provide_a_goal_threat/

“I know that Craig looks after all the discipline side of things within the dressing room for myself and the staff.

“I don’t live in their dressing room so if someone is five minutes late and I’m on the phone, Craig manages that and makes sure that the dressing room is managed properly, professionally and efficiently. His personality allows him to do that.”

And that says it all !

Just now, tomphil said:

Fair point i'm not sure he'd keep Conway on a fair whack at the expense of new blood. For me Mowbrays biggest strength as manager at Rovers hasn't been his style of play or tactics but just his overall experience of management, something we've never had under Venkys so we'll have to trust him on this one.

Mind you i'll be moaning like fook if he's starting Conway every game next season you just watch ?

There is no way Conway will start most games next season 

Conway shouldn't be a starter any more. But as a last 20-30 minute senior player to come on and use his experience in games it could be valuable. I'd be in favour if it was a reasonable wage on a 12 month deal with him being a sub not a starter.

• Like 1

Not sure TM should be admitting letting players manage themselves. All OK this season just gone with the success, but next season, if it turns out a struggle, we may ask wtf?! Besides, if TM isn't in the dressing room for a player being late, isn't he late himself?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

So Conway is Mowbray's eyes and ears in the dressing room - the snitch in other words.

No wonder he's got a new contract!

Like him as a player but he shouldn't be starting games next season

Conway shouldn't get a new deal for me for one reason, he simply isn't good enough anymore. He struggled pretty much all last season when he played and in a faster paced game he would be found wanting. Giving him a deal would also probably stifle the development of one of the youngsters who may well step up.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16248729.Steve_Waggott_provides_updates_on_Rovers_contract_talks/

Im REALLY interested to see how some will put a negative slant on this...?

This sort of rubbish is just as bad as Mercers constant purposeful winding up.

End of the day, the success of this summer will be judged by actions (signings and sales), not by words, so its irrelevant anyway.

That said, to echo others, IF Graham, Lenihan, Dack and Smallwood sign new deals, thatd be good news, Conway re signing would be bad as hes not good enough any more, not sure if agreeing with 4 out of 5 aspects of that article is positive or negative but there you go.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who would you rather have - Armstrong ( a wide forward ?  ) or a fully fit Chapman ( an out and out winger ) ?   I know who I'd chose out of those two.  There's a lot of rubbish talked about modern football , the game hasn't changed that much over the years.

To be honest, youd have to say Armstrong has proven himself to be more effective, in that Chapman has never shown more than flashes, obviously for reasons beyond his control. From wide, Armstrong proved himself to be incredibly effective, and he did often provide width as well.

That said, im a big fan of out and out wingers, I do appreciate why sometimes wide forwards are so effective and im not against having one like Armstrong, but I did feel that our weakest area last season was the lack of an out and out winger, when Armstrong had an off day, whether it was Conway or Antonsson on the other side, I never felt that we had a proper attacking threat on the other side. The way we play, 2 outside forwards can leave us too narrow. A natural winger has to be the first priority.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Did you watch Conway much last season? He really struggled IMO and I don't think I'm alone in that. Just a question, but, if Mowbray had deemed Conway surplus to requirements, would you be upset or think that was wrong??

There is absolutely no room for sentiment in professional sport. Conway has been a great servant to the club, but if he struggled in league one and he's now a year older, the championship will be even tougher for him, that much stands to reason. 

If finances are tight, as they have been for the last few years, we need to have every single squad member earning a wage making a big contribution.

Totally agree. It would be totally sentimental, and if he wasnt offered one, im sure chaddy would say he agrees that its time for him to go. The expiry of his contract after a season in which he didnt set up a goal and added nothing going forward, with him potentially finishing on a high, everything about it suggests that its time to go.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Practically every other ingoing and outgoing that takes place at the club this summer is more important than Conway signing a new deal. It's happening, those that disagree just have to deal with that. 

What a strange comment. Surely that means that theres no point in the messageboard at all if we "just have to deal with" whatever happens, whether people agree or disagree with the choice of Conway getting a new deal, they have the right to share that opinion on here.

33 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Going off TMs comments about recruiting young up and coming talent into the squad ,keeping someone like Conway may not be a bad thing.He seems like a good professional,never seem to hear anything untoward regarding his life outside football and has Championship experience to pass down to the (hopefully) new young recruits that TM is aiming for .

TM made it clear to Payne that he will be a bit part player at the club and im sure Conway will have been told the same and any new contract will be influenced by that fact. Im sure it will be a "Sorry Craig ..you aint gonna get much playing time but your presence here  could be influential to the young squad so we re only offering you so much ..take it or leave it ". 

Really cant see Conway getting a more substantial deal if not probably a reduced deal ..the Club hold the cards not Conway.

Whilst I totally appreciate the importance of experience, know how etc, you have to be able to offer something aside from that. Theres plenty of experience aside from Conway in Mulgrew, Graham, Bennett, Williams, Whittingham, Evans, so its hardly as if he is our only potential leader. He didnt set up any goals at all last season, hes forever injured, and when his plays, its blatantly obvious that sadly his legs have gone to the extent that he cant get that half a yard that he needed when he was setting up goals on a regular basis. He was totally ineffective at League 1 level too, so hed actually have to cope with a big increase in quality and speed, and sadly hes proven that he cant do that at this stage of his career. For me, anyone who feels that he can is basing their view blindly on sentimentality, mirroring Mowbrays view, which to an extent I understand as hes been a good servant, but logically itd be a year too far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Did you watch Conway much last season? He really struggled IMO and I don't think I'm alone in that. Just a question, but, if Mowbray had deemed Conway surplus to requirements, would you be upset or think that was wrong??

There is absolutely no room for sentiment in professional sport. Conway has been a great servant to the club, but if he struggled in league one and he's now a year older, the championship will be even tougher for him, that much stands to reason. 

If finances are tight, as they have been for the last few years, we need to have every single squad member earning a wage making a big contribution.

If Mowbray wants to keep Conway then, of course Chaddy approves! Ignore the fact that he's 33 and had a poor season in Div 1, he will be reborn in August!

This does not show the ambition we are all looking for.

• Like 1