BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Possibly not, but that was why I said we'll need investment. The same however applies to a lot of clubs in the Championship. If they don't strengthen this summer or if they lose a key player or two they will expect to struggle. All the indications are that we will strengthen.

As it happens I believe this current squad (including loans) is better than the one that achieved 51 points last time round and went down on goal difference despite having Owen Coyle in the dugout for 7 months of the season. If nothing else the camaraderie, fitness and pride in the side are superior to what they were.

Agreed that the squad is better than the Coyle squad (and a much better manager). But I think the Championship will be more difficult than when we got relegated. There's more established ex-Premiership clubs with money than there was at the time we went down. 

I wasn't overly convinced by the performances towards the end of last season. Playing like we did for the last 8/10 games would be relegation form in the Championship, we got away with it because L1 is poor. That said, if we add wisely (central mid/Striker/wingers/full back) I think we can use the team spirit and winning mentality to challenge in the top half. We've got to trust Tony to spend wisely, there's no alternative!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Smallwood, Chapman, Armstrong, Downing and Bell all good signings

Smallwood was a good signing - an vital part of the promotion team -  while Armstrong and Downing contributed.

There must be question marks over all 4 though in terms of the Championship. 

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Whittingham got injured around Christmas. He was very poor up to that point. He then couldn't get back in the side when he recovered. His failings had nothing to do with injury, more that his legs had gone and he was totally unsuited to League 1 football. Gladwin was just awful. He looked like he was on a heavy dose of sedatives whenever he came on. Again, nowt to do with injuries. Caddis just spent most days in McDonalds. I saw him eating one on the bench once. He had half a fillet o fish round his mouth when he was warming up.

I still think Whittingham will come good and play a part next season. Ain't nobody changing my mind on that!

13 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Agreed that the squad is better than the Coyle squad (and a much better manager). But I think the Championship will be more difficult than when we got relegated. There's more established ex-Premiership clubs with money than there was at the time we went down. 

I wasn't overly convinced by the performances towards the end of last season. Playing like we did for the last 8/10 games would be relegation form in the Championship, we got away with it because L1 is poor. That said, if we add wisely (central mid/Striker/wingers/full back) I think we can use the team spirit and winning mentality to challenge in the top half. We've got to trust Tony to spend wisely, there's no alternative!

I feel confident, that we won't be in a relegation scrap and I don't necessarily think the Championship will be harder than it was the season before last. I am certain Bolton have still got big problems and expect them to finish in a relegation spot. Add Rotherham to that and that's two of the relegation slots already sorted. Reading, Birmingham and Forrest are going to have some issues and who know, we might get someone like Villa, or even one of the relegated premier league sides having problems, like those that Sunderland had. All in all with Mowbray there from the start and no more players there of the disruptive type, I think we are in for a decent campaign.

20 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Smallwood was a good signing - an vital part of the promotion team -  while Armstrong and Downing contributed.

There must be question marks over all 4 though in terms of the Championship. 

Big questions. Hopefully they answer them 

16 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Was thinking about Paul Gallagher - his contract is up at the end of next month, he's got vast experience in the Championship, and he's still a tidy player. He'd be 34 by the time the season started, but he could be worth having around. Maybe a return to Rovers would give him a bit of a buzz and, in return, give us someone to fill that hole in midfield that we were constantly looking for last season.

Not for me. We'll have enough players at the Club who only have 60 minutes in them without signing another one. His best years are over.

• Like 1

I think Gallagher as part of the squad would make sense, if only because he play in a number of different positions to a high standard and should fit in with Tony's style of play. 

That said, we still need more pace, badly, so he'd need to be an 'extra' one assuming we have the budget for it. 

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB3/plus//galerie/0?jahr=2018&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&land_id=0&yt0=Show

League 1 players out of contract this summer according to this list ^.

As Waggott seemed to say we were looking primarily at out of contract players in his recent interview, and Mowbray has said he wants young and athletic players who see Rovers as a step up, we may be signing a few off the list. We were linked with Joe Rothwell in January, and Holmes and Adelakun at Scunny are both highly-rated. I thought Holmes was very good at Ewood.

Edited by blueboy3333

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I'm amazed at your defence of Whittingham, as I honestly don't see the grounds for it. Is it just a hunch? He was largely pap, and as has already been said, it wasn't until Christmas when he got injured, so I don't really understand how any of us can predict his improvement next season at a higher level.

I don't think Whittingham will go, though, but I can't see us spending time giving him another chance at central midfield. Evans deserves it over him!

I am basing it on the fact that the entire team was struggling when he was playing badly, everyone was gelling, Dack wasn't even playing that well. After coming back from injury then, he was never going to break back into the squad the way we were playing.  I am also basing it on his pedigree in the Championship, not many players have had a better career there. He is 33, players have had wonder seasons much older at higher levels. 

I just think our fans are very quick to write players off sometimes. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that he will have a good season. Before he came here Cardiff were offering him a new deal and they got promoted from the Championship. 

Just now, Gladwingone said:

Dack is a third division player who has an opportunity to show if he can shine in the Championship. My bet is not. He is worth about £1.5million tops until proven.

You need to spend less time on your computer and xbox and more time in the real world.

I think your alarm clock went off early, time to go back to bed 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Before he came here Cardiff were offering him a new deal and they got promoted from the Championship. 

A bit of context. Cardiff were offering him reduced pay with no guarantee of playing time:-

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/neil-warnock-delivers-an-update-on-cardiff-city-ace-fans-wont-like-this/

Giving an update on the 32-year old’s future, Warnock said: “We’ve had a good chat Peter & I, we’ve laid the cards out. He has to see what happens, what develops for him as well. He might have clubs who can offer a more lucrative contract or a chance to play more regularly.”

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

A bit of context. Cardiff were offering him reduced pay with no guarantee of playing time:-

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/neil-warnock-delivers-an-update-on-cardiff-city-ace-fans-wont-like-this/

Giving an update on the 32-year old’s future, Warnock said: “We’ve had a good chat Peter & I, we’ve laid the cards out. He has to see what happens, what develops for him as well. He might have clubs who can offer a more lucrative contract or a chance to play more regularly.”

They offered him a deal anyway. Sounds like we had competition too

"a number of Sky Bet Championship clubs are lining up a deal for Cardiff City’s Peter Whittingham, who is out of contract at the end of the current season."

Probably similarr to what we will be offering Conway this summer 

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I think a reasonable season of playing time is enough to judge a player. He was given plenty of chances, and never looked up to the challenge. You won't find many piping up for Whitts based on what they've seen. I think we can afford to replace him this time around, because he simply isn't good enough for what we need. Maybe loaning him out to a League One side would help matters and allow us to bring in someone better - like Gally. ?

As I said, I think he will be good to have around. I will leave it at that :)

18 minutes ago, Gladwingone said:

Dack is a third division player who has an opportunity to show if he can shine in the Championship. My bet is not. He is worth about £1.5million tops until proven.

You need to spend less time on your computer and xbox and more time in the real world.

1.5 million tops, are you for real???  I can only assume you are stuck in the Year 2000.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Possibly not, but that was why I said we'll need investment. The same however applies to a lot of clubs in the Championship. If they don't strengthen this summer or if they lose a key player or two they will expect to struggle. All the indications are that we will strengthen.

As it happens I believe this current squad (including loans) is better than the one that achieved 51 points last time round and went down on goal difference despite having Owen Coyle in the dugout for 7 months of the season. If nothing else the camaraderie, fitness and pride in the side are superior to what they were.

Depends on what is meant by strengthen. Some think it is enough that we upgrade the bench. For me, we need to upgrade the starting XI and have the shoe-instgis season fighting for a place. And I include the potentially distracted Dack in that.

My angle on it is i'd like to see Whittingham leave and be replaced in the squad by Gallagher then let that be the only over 30's deal this summer unless we can pick up something Grahamesqe or Mulgrewesqe on a free ?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/uk-sport-news/championship-gossip-blackburn-rovers-leeds-1613480

Relegated MK Dons look set to lose midfielder Ousseynou Cisse.

The Sun on Sunday reports both Championship side Leeds United and Blackburn Rovers, who were promoted from League One this season, are interested in the Malian powerhouse.

The 6ft 5in midfielder is an athletic, combative midfielder who played 36 times for Milton Keynes Dons last season.

We could do with more height and strength

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Whilst we're speculating on the prospect of Rovers fans signing, would anybody take Jem Karacan?

Been released by Horwich, apparently doesn't really fit in with Parkinson's style of play. Not seen much of him recently, but a talented player and one that would suit Tony's style a bit more, perhaps?

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/uk-sport-news/championship-gossip-blackburn-rovers-leeds-1613480

The Sun on Sunday reports both Championship side Leeds United and Blackburn Rovers, who were promoted from League One this season, are interested in the Malian powerhouse.

The 6ft 5in midfielder is an athletic, combative midfielder who played 36 times for Milton Keynes Dons last season.

Can't say I remember him from our matches against them, but their fans seem more than happy in the main for him to leave. MK Dons season ticket holder mate said he'd drive him here! Hopefully just gossip IF he is that poor.

None of this season's promoted teams - Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham - have received parachute payments in their promotion season which blows a hole in Mowbray's theory. Even a team in its final (of 3 years) can't spend big because the following season their finances fall off a cliff.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Posted that link yesterday pal. 

Just now, alcd said:

None of this season's promoted teams - Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham - have received parachute payments in their promotion season which blows a hole in Mowbray's theory. Even a team in its final (of 3 years) can't spend big because the following season their finances fall off a cliff.

Parachute cash used to be spread over 4 years when we got it. On that basis Fulham might have been in their final season of it this year, but in the 3 years before that they'd had one play-off campaign and 2 bottom half campaigns. Likewise Cardiff were relegated 4 years ago this summer so potentially were in receipt of some money but their spending dried up years ago.

But yeah, in this seasons top 12 only Villa, Middlesbrough and possibly Fulham/Cardiff had parachute income. Wolves, Derby, PNE, Millwall, Sheff Utd, Brentford and Bristol City didn't get any.

Bottom half Sunderland, Hull, Norwich and possibly Reading/QPR all got parachute dosh and it got them nowhere.

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Parachute cash used to be spread over 4 years when we got it. On that basis Fulham might have been in their final season of it this year, but in the 3 years before that they'd had one play-off campaign and 2 bottom half campaigns. Likewise Cardiff were relegated 4 years ago this summer so potentially were in receipt of some money but their spending dried up years ago.

But yeah, in this seasons top 12 only Villa, Middlesbrough and possibly Fulham/Cardiff had parachute income. Wolves, Derby, PNE, Millwall, Sheff Utd, Brentford and Bristol City didn't get any.

Bottom half Sunderland, Hull, Norwich and possibly Reading/QPR all got parachute dosh and it got them nowhere.

It has to be the greedy unmotivated players, who are still picking up a large wedge that creates the problems for these teams. Once relegated, if the players on big money with little or no drop in salary, feel like they can't be bothered any more, their club has a big problem. It is surprising how many clubs have dropped out of the big league and failed to make it back and I think that missing out on an instant return, creates huge problems. I see trouble at Hull and Villa this coming season, but we shall see.

• Like 2