BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

44 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Don't think I said it had. Doesn't change anything though - we need more quality, the sooner the better, and it costs. Trying to do it on the cheap is a very dangerous game.

Think we need to realise that we can't just have a repeat of last summer. Last summer for a modest sum of about £1 million we were able to recruit a top quality League one side. This time round we need better players which cost more and we're in a League with clubs who can spend more, so a million on 5-6 decent League One players might not be sufficient.

lets see who we signed before the season starts. 

But we aren't going to be spending loads of millions after millions this summer. Mowbray and Waggott have told you the way we will to sign players this summer. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Wouldn't have thought Cardiff's situation had any relevance whatsoever to our own. As a general rule of thumb if you get promoted and do not strengthen significantly you are going to struggle.

but we will strengthen the squad. we still in June. still 6 weeks of the transfer window to go

It's not about spending mega money, thats got us in the shite as it is. It's about spending money wisely

Remember king kennys first signing? Little Ian Wright from Oldham for next to nowt. TM has a plan and i'm more than happy to go along with it.

Young hungry guys mixed with a sprinkle of silver dusted experience ... Boom!

Top half garaunteed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pomster said:

It's not about spending mega money, thats got us in the shite as it is. It's about spending money wisely

Remember king kennys first signing? Little Ian Wright from Oldham for next to nowt. TM has a plan and i'm more than happy to go along with it.

Top half garaunteed

correction ............…. Alan Wright from Blackpool. £500.000.00

• Like 1

Half a mil was big money back in the day considering a million bought you a top class forward operator like Mike Newell.

But yes it was a bit of a left of the field signing I suppose ?

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wouldn't have thought Cardiff's situation had any relevance whatsoever to our own. As a general rule of thumb if you get promoted and do not strengthen significantly you are going to struggle.

There are examples of both working, and lots of examples of excess leading to further decline.

We are a good example of spending money and not getting any value, however our investments haven’t all been bad, Cairney, Gestede, Marshall, Conway and Evans all cost less than a million, and all of them have/had at least one promotion from the second tier on their CVs. 

The general rule of thumb for me, sensible improvements and building of a “team” is the best way to achieve any goal long term. Ofcourse, Wolves and others are perfectly obvious examples of quick fixes done with big investments, but as Pomster and others have pointed towards, we’ve spent a lot of money in the past and had not much in return. 

I’m absolutely buzzing to hear comments and rumours about players being binned off in interviews because of attitude. We need to build a mentality, that started from the ground up 12 months ago and the solution for me is continuity, patience and pragmatism. One bad apple spoils the cart. I admit more funds would help us get those exceptional talents and characters but I also feel a small pot makes the staff seek the absolute most out of their means.

A proper team spirit alone will win us points, and more quality around a few key players could help us surprise a few.

• Like 2

A "character test" is a great innovation by Mowbray . It's a pity we didn't have one years ago - it would have saved us from the likes of Martin Dahlin, Danny Murphy and Bradley Orr. 

Personally, I'd wouldn't sign any player who didn't have 3 A-levels,  who didn't wear a suit and tie for the interview and had any facial hair.  Tattoos would be a no-no too.

Nice Boys only need apply.    

53 minutes ago, Alan75 said:

correction ............…. Alan Wright from Blackpool. £500.000.00

Ok, I stand corrected. But the point i was trying to make is, is that Uncle Jack had bought rovers and money was freely available. Everybody expected Kenny to splash out on a big name transfer  but he bought Ian Wright from third tier Blackpool for £500k

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

A "character test" is a great innovation by Mowbray . It's a pity we didn't have one years ago - it would have saved us from the likes of Martin Dahlin, Danny Murphy and Bradley Orr. 

Personally, I'd wouldn't sign any player who didn't have 3 A-levels,  who didn't wear a suit and tie for the interview and had any facial hair.  Tattoos would be a no-no too.

Trouble is that doesn't throw up the right kind of leaders it takes allsorts to make a good dressing room I bet. The odd character is fine as long as the boss is strong enough to handle him and the leaders keep them in check.

The personality check would've certainly weeded out Orr and a good few others, Stokes for example but i'd think Murphy and Dahlin were good pros it's just how the hell their types got through the medicals and get the contracts they did that needed kyboshing, I think it has been now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Definitely with you on beards and tattoos. We're getting old

36 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Based on this you wouldn't sign Dack, Messi, Sterling, Kane, Ronaldo (wears ripped jeans) etc I completely disagree about turning someone away in what they dress in.

2 hours ago, pomster said:

Top half garaunteed

half a mil - next to nowt? We barely spend that 20 years later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Is that you Mary Whitehouse? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pomster said:

Ok, I stand corrected. But the point i was trying to make is, is that Uncle Jack had bought rovers and money was freely available. Everybody expected Kenny to splash out on a big name transfer  but he bought Ian Wright from third tier Blackpool for £500k

Alan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Garage Flower said:

I’d hope Tony would have to brains to know you don’t judge someone’s character on how they look but by the way they behave and conduct themselves. You fool. 

In most cases how you look is a reflection of character.

5 hours ago, Biz said:

I’m not sure why I’m wasting my time replying, but you know as well as I do - if it simply came down to funds, wages and transfer fees, we would’ve returned to the top flight at the first attempt under Kean.

Cardiff hardly spent a penny in transfers last summer, other than Madine - and he hardly made an impact.

Clever, patient and long term business, not spending money for the sake of it.

Nothing long term about Cardiff's business. Warnock arrived mid-season in a relegation scrap, kept them up and then swiftly assembled a squad that got them automatic promotion. No talk from Warnock about long term building jobs - he wanted promotion at the first attempt and knew how to get it. 

I know it doesn't purely come down to wages and transfer fees. The point i was trying to make was that last season it was much easier to put together a good side on a relative shoestring due to a lack of competition and the fact that a million quid goes a long way in League One. In the Championship you have to be prepared to pay more, if not you will likely struggle. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Nothing long term about Cardiff's business. Warnock arrived mid-season in a relegation scrap, kept them up and then swiftly assembled a squad that got them automatic promotion. No talk from Warnock about long term building jobs - he wanted promotion at the first attempt and knew how to get it. 

I know it doesn't purely come down to wages and transfer fees. The point i was trying to make was that last season it was much easier to put together a good side on a relative shoestring due to a lack of competition and the fact that a million quid goes a long way in League One. In the Championship you have to be prepared to pay more, if not you will likely struggle. 

Cardiff had a far better squad, Mangala (5m), Zahore rated at 8-10 million. Morrison, Gunnarsson, Bennett, Pilkington, Hoilett he has got firing since stepping in at Cardiff.

Completley agree with your post though by and large our squad is complete fodder at this level and needs urgent investment, Rotherham and Bolton, maybe Wigan, Ipswich and Millwall might finish below us, after that I'm struggling 

35 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Cardiff had a far better squad, Mangala (5m), Zahore rated at 8-10 million. Morrison, Gunnarsson, Bennett, Pilkington, Hoilett he has got firing since stepping in at Cardiff.

Completley agree with your post though by and large our squad is complete fodder at this level and needs urgent investment, Rotherham and Bolton, maybe Wigan, Ipswich and Millwall might finish below us, after that I'm struggling 

I look at our forward line, which is the area causing me concern at present. As it stands we've Danny Graham, who does a job yet will be a year older, then we've Dack who we were possibly too reliant on last season who is unproven at Championship level, and then Samuel and Nuttall with question marks over whether they were even good enough for League One. Having waved goodbye to Antonsson, Armstrong and Payne, we're in I would say quite urgent need of work in that area.

This is an area where decent players are in short supply and who generally cost more money than other areas. We need pace and presence up the top end of the pitch, and like it or loathe it they will cost substantial money, unless the plan is to rely on a couple of loans again, which goes against the steady building job talk we've heard because after 6-12 months the loans will need replacing, as we're finding now with last season's gone and seemingly out of reach this time.

Of course there are one or two gems out there like Gestede was for us but in the main even proven League One forwards cost millions - Rhodes, Marriott etc. 

For those saying that the season hasn't started yet and there's plenty of time - I know this. But I'd remind you of our own manager's comments not too long since where he clearly wanted most of his business done by now so they could travel to Austria and 'bed in' with the squad. Listening to managers one of the big things with foreign training camps is the chance for the players, old and new, to go away for a week together, effectively live together, eat together, get used to each other, train together. 

Every season in the last 4-5 years we have started slowly looking disorganised and short in key areas. I want to avoid that this year.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I look at our forward line, which is the area causing me concern at present. As it stands we've Danny Graham, who does a job yet will be a year older, then we've Dack who we were possibly too reliant on last season who is unproven at Championship level, and then Samuel and Nuttall with question marks over whether they were even good enough for League One. Having waved goodbye to Antonsson, Armstrong and Payne, we're in I would say quite urgent need of work in that area.

This is an area where decent players are in short supply and who generally cost more money than other areas. We need pace and presence up the top end of the pitch, and like it or loathe it they will cost substantial money, unless the plan is to rely on a couple of loans again, which goes against the steady building job talk we've heard because after 6-12 months the loans will need replacing, as we're finding now with last season's gone and seemingly out of reach this time.

Of course there are one or two gems out there like Gestede was for us but in the main even proven League One forwards cost millions - Rhodes, Marriott etc. 

For those saying that the season hasn't started yet and there's plenty of time - I know this. But I'd remind you of our own manager's comments not too long since where he clearly wanted most of his business done by now so they could travel to Austria and 'bed in' with the squad. Listening to managers one of the big things with foreign training camps is the chance for the players, old and new, to go away for a week together, effectively live together, eat together, get used to each other, train together. 

Every season in the last 4-5 years we have started slowly looking disorganised and short in key areas. I want to avoid that this year.

I worry about the defence too. As much as I'm a fan of Mulgrew, he isn't dominant and leaves his man a lot. We need a beast at the back and (some will laugh) a Jason Roberts style battering ram as an option up top.

I do think we'll be fine in the Championship but I want us to challenge up the top half - every fan should!