BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

In my opinion gestede has done nowt since leaving rovers so he should get his arse back here.

That's a decent shout. He needs to dispense with the need to wear gloves (can you ever imagine Shearer wearing a pair?). A small thing but if I were a centre half marking him, I'd stick one on him early on because you'd suspect he was a soft touch. It would also be handy to have another French man in the team to keep him company! ;)

7 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Cardiff had a far better squad, Mangala (5m), Zahore rated at 8-10 million. Morrison, Gunnarsson, Bennett, Pilkington, Hoilett he has got firing since stepping in at Cardiff.

Completley agree with your post though by and large our squad is complete fodder at this level and needs urgent investment, Rotherham and Bolton, maybe Wigan, Ipswich and Millwall might finish below us, after that I'm struggling 

Villa could be in for a torrid time too, so maybe we can stay fairly safe?

There's always been a weird obsession on here with people wanting ex players back.

Unless that player was exceptional, I have never really understood it.

For me I have always thought Rovers (certainly in more modern times) should be a club moving forward bringing in mostly young hungry players (with one or two experienced heads too), developing them then hopefully sell them on for big money after enjoying them for a few years.

I think that's what Mowbray is trying to do, and I hope it works out for him/us.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 9

40 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

There's always been a weird obsession on here with people wanting ex players back.

For me I have always thought Rovers (certainly in more modern times) should be a club moving forward bringing in mostly young hungry players (with one or two experienced heads too), developing them then hopefully sell them on for big money after enjoying them for a few years.

I think that's what Mowbray is trying to do, and I hope it works out for him/us.

Correct there's been a long list recently, some even said Lowe !!!!

I might make an exception for Gestede though because there isn't many around of his type these days and for someone like us even just for a season it could prove vital having someone who can plunder his type of goals in the ranks.

I wouldn't be buying him and paying big money but a loan for a season would be tempting if the wages could be done in affordable fashion.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Agreed, suppose its an understandable lack of knowledge of the general market making it easier to suggest players people already know but I dont understand it either.

Seen suggestions of getting Mahoney back, getting Gallagher back, last year it was Emnes and Akpan, none of whom are anywhere near good enough. That or players like Rhodes and Gestede who we cant afford.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed, suppose its an understandable lack of knowledge of the general market making it easier to suggest players people already know but I dont understand it either.

Seen suggestions of getting Mahoney back, getting Gallagher back, last year it was Emnes and Akpan, none of whom are anywhere near good enough. That or players like Rhodes and Gestede who we cant afford.

Akpan???!!! That's up there as one of the stupidest things I've ever heard!

Edited by donnermeat
  • Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

Bristol city selling two of their best players with Flint  joining Boro and Bobby Reid close to joining Cardiff.If they don't bring in the right replacements they'll struggle next season 

Thing is I can see them using that £15 million to go out and sign some real quality, what they won't do is trouser it all and then moan about FFP rules.

Meanwhile how much is that now for Middlesbrough since they were relegated? £50-60 million with Flint and McNair arriving this week? Alright for some, lets see if an embargo ever gets put on them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Bristol city selling two of their best players with Flint  joining Boro and Bobby Reid close to joining Cardiff.If they don't bring in the right replacements they'll struggle next season 

Doubt they’ll struggle, they’ve got a top manager. 

Just now, Tormund said:

Doubt they’ll struggle, they’ve got a top manager. 

He did well last season but I think your being very generous to be calling Lee Johnson a top manager.

He was close to getting the sack the previous season and some Bristol fans are still unhappy with him.

• Like 3

Just now, islander200 said:

He did well last season but I think your being very generous to be calling Lee Johnson a top manager.

He was close to getting the sack the previous season and some Bristol fans are still unhappy with him.

He seems to lurch from one extreme to the other. Last season for the first half they were top 6 pushing the top 2 and knocked Man Utd out of the cup. Then they fell away significantly and only just made a top half finish. Season before they started off reasonably well but fell away and ended up in a relegation battle and he was arguably lucky to keep his job.

Not that Bristol City fans have any reason to complain, the Championship is the top end of the scale for them.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Chapman tweeted a pic of his passport with the comment "Austria bound". Got excited there, but turns out Boro are off there this weekend 

I have heard that Chapman was due to have a meeting with Mowbray a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason it didn't happen.

17 hours ago, JHRover said:

I look at our forward line, which is the area causing me concern at present. As it stands we've Danny Graham, who does a job yet will be a year older, then we've Dack who we were possibly too reliant on last season who is unproven at Championship level, and then Samuel and Nuttall with question marks over whether they were even good enough for League One. Having waved goodbye to Antonsson, Armstrong and Payne, we're in I would say quite urgent need of work in that area.

This is an area where decent players are in short supply and who generally cost more money than other areas. We need pace and presence up the top end of the pitch, and like it or loathe it they will cost substantial money, unless the plan is to rely on a couple of loans again, which goes against the steady building job talk we've heard because after 6-12 months the loans will need replacing, as we're finding now with last season's gone and seemingly out of reach this time.

Of course there are one or two gems out there like Gestede was for us but in the main even proven League One forwards cost millions - Rhodes, Marriott etc. 

For those saying that the season hasn't started yet and there's plenty of time - I know this. But I'd remind you of our own manager's comments not too long since where he clearly wanted most of his business done by now so they could travel to Austria and 'bed in' with the squad. Listening to managers one of the big things with foreign training camps is the chance for the players, old and new, to go away for a week together, effectively live together, eat together, get used to each other, train together. 

Every season in the last 4-5 years we have started slowly looking disorganised and short in key areas. I want to avoid that this year.

Nailed it with that post. I'd also like to see quality reinforcements all over the pitch who can perform at Championship level but as a first priority I'd agree with you and say we need two strikers who can find the net at Championship level and at least one pacey wide man none of whom will be cheap.

We all know there's still plenty of time of the transfer window left yada yada and TM may be about to pull a number of rabbits out of hats we Don't yet know about but as an outsider looking in the indications from what has transpired to date do not point to enough funding being available or the right calibre of player being brought in.

Conway being retained, Rothwell being signed, apparently we can't afford 2m for the young Charlton centre back or to pursue any serious interest in Armstrong and we Don't appear to have any real interest in either in bringing Chapman back.

I'm not saying the likes of Bauer and Armstrong are necessarily worth £2m and £3m respectively but if those are the players the manager really wants he sbould be backed and for me it does all rather point to us trying to cobble together a side out of 2 and 6, a packet of pork scratchings, a half eaten mars bar and a bunch of loanees like we unsuccessfully tried to do under Coyle.

could have course be completely wrong. Very much hope I am.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Nailed it with that post. I'd also like to see quality reinforcements all over the pitch who can perform at Championship level but as a first priority I'd agree with you and say we need two strikers who can find the net at Championship level and at least one pacey wide man none of whom will be cheap.

We all know there's still plenty of time of the transfer window left yada yada and TM may be about to pull a number of rabbits out of hats we Don't yet know about but as an outsider looking in the indications from what has transpired to date do not point to enough funding being available or the right calibre of player being brought in.

Conway being retained, Rothwell being signed, apparently we can't afford 2m for the young Charlton centre back or to pursue any serious interest in Armstrong and we Don't appear to have any real interest in either in bringing Chapman back.

I'm not saying the likes of Bauer and Armstrong are necessarily worth £2m and £3m respectively but if those are the players the manager really wants he sbould be backed and for me it does all rather point to us trying to cobble together a side out of 2 and 6, a packet of pork scratchings, a half eaten mars bar and a bunch of loanees like we unsuccessfully tried to do under Coyle.

could have course be completely wrong. Very much hope I am.

most of the championship clubs haven't made many moves. expect the next couple of weeks to get very busy and some daft rumours in media. 

Mowbray has said he happy with the budget and the way he wants to build the squad and club. 

I wouldn't paid 2 million for Charlton centre back with 12 months left on his contract. 

why has the 3 million pounds come from for Armstrong? I expect we sign him on loan after the permanent signing transfer window. 

Mowbray has said he has spoken with Chapman last week

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

We have relegation fodder written all over us without,at least 4 quality first team signings. Not panicking yet though 

disagree there. 

Millwall didn't make loads of signings last summer but add some good players to there squad and finish top half. I would be very happy with that