BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Down the years the goalposts have often moved where signings are concerned once the majority of ST's have been sold.

However I still think this season it's mostly down to waiting for the freebie market to kick in.

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

We have relegation fodder written all over us without,at least 4 quality first team signings. Not panicking yet though 

Have to disagree. This is a better team to the one that was relegated, that’s before any signings- imo obviously.

Id understand that many would disagree but from the performances I’ve watched, and Tony’s influence - even statistically when he inherited a rock bottom broken team from Coyle - even with only a couple of loan replacements, we are a better “team” than that imo.

A lot of that comes from spirit, character and organisation, and obviously id like to see us further up than just merely surviving but I think we are in a better starting point than a few others might.

• Like 5

Just now, Biz said:

Have to disagree. This is a better team to the one that was relegated, that’s before any signings- imo obviously.

Id understand that many would disagree but from the performances I’ve watched, and Tony’s influence - even statistically when he inherited a rock bottom broken team from Coyle - even with only a couple of loan replacements, we are a better “team” than that imo.

A lot of that comes from spirit, character and organisation, and obviously id like to see us further up than just merely surviving but I think we are in a better starting point than a few others might.

Damn right!

13 minutes ago, pomster said:

Damn right!

That’s not to say I don’t think the division has moved on a bit in two years, but I’d be quite happy to predict we’d stay up easily if we sign a couple more for key positions, and blood a few more talented youth players into the squad, I think it could be a big year for Travis, Tomlinson, Nuttall, maybe even Platt and Hardcastle.

Improvements in Darragh, Nyambe, Raya - we’ve a real bag of potential quality to add to - even a few key players like Dack and Smallwood are a decent age to develop further.

2 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Guys are good with Conway and Samuel on the wings and Graham and er Nutall up front?

I think we’d likely start 4231 or a variation with 3 CB’s, which means Conway and Samuel are likely to be the attacking width at current, with Graham, Dack and backup of Gladwin (maybe also Rothwell?) as the other two attackers (number 9 and 10.)

Those positions are the most in need of recruitment for me. Antonsson, Chapman and (mainly) Armstrong played in those wide attacking roles, and they’ve all left.

Id like to see us add at least one more winger who can play left or right, instead of a striker out wide. Listening to sounds from the club, Chapman looks potentially setup and I’d not bet against Armstrong returning later in the window if he isn’t signed by someone else or given more opportunity at NUFC

Back to Rothwell, there may be legs in the stuff from Oxford, about him potentially suiting a more attacking role. The article below suggests he could suit an “modern inside forward from the left” or withdrawn striker, so potentially he would be a wideman in our setup? 

https://eflreference.wordpress.com/2018/06/18/joe-rothwell/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Biz

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Thing is I can see them using that £15 million to go out and sign some real quality, what they won't do is trouser it all and then moan about FFP rules.

Meanwhile how much is that now for Middlesbrough since they were relegated? £50-60 million with Flint and McNair arriving this week? Alright for some, lets see if an embargo ever gets put on them.

They’re in massive trouble if they don’t go up this time. They’re already in financial trouble for failing to go up this season, according to Boro fans. 

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Bristol city selling two of their best players with Flint  joining Boro and Bobby Reid close to joining Cardiff.If they don't bring in the right replacements they'll struggle next season 

Bobby Reid is a terrible buy for a premiership club. 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Yeah I started off saying the 'we are better than the squad we got relegated with' claptrap too, but now I'm starting to get more worried, and the statement carries less and less weight.

The team your comparing it too, was two years ago to the day, and money has been pissing into the division since then, the division has gotten stronger. It's not a fair comparison.

As pleasing as last season was, our performances most of the time were quite poor, but for a solid back line and Raya, and touches of quality we were poor for most of the season. After what happened last time in the championship, along with people like Conway getting retained, I am fearful that we are not going to be good enough.

• Like 2

Yeah I started off saying the 'we are better than the squad we got relegated with' claptrap too, but now I'm starting to get more worried, and the statement carries less and less weight.

The team your comparing it too, was two years ago to the day, and money has been pissing into the division since then, the division has gotten stronger. It's not a fair comparison.

As pleasing as last season was, our performances most of the time were quite poor, but for a solid back line and Raya, and touches of quality we were poor for most of the season. After what happened last time in the championship, along with people like Conway getting retained, I am fearful that we are not going to be good enough.

Your post was reasonable enough until the last paragraph. Performances most of the time were poor? We wouldn't have been promoted if that was the case. Plain and simple. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Your post was reasonable enough until the last paragraph. Performances most of the time were poor? We wouldn't have been promoted if that was the case. Plain and simple. 

Thought the entire post was reasonable. We looked a pretty ordinary side carried by Dack most of the rime imo, even at L1 level.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Spot on especially the money paragraph look at the signings cost 2 years ago to now. Crickey  Forest have just spent 13m on one player. 2 years ago they purchased assambalonga for 5.

Edited by Scotland1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I missed two games last year out of 46. We were poor in most, no point sugar coating it. We had a couple of players that had no business being in the league, namely Dack, Raya and Mulgrew.

We need to improve a lot before this season kicks off.  

• Like 7

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Thought the entire post was reasonable. We looked a pretty ordinary side carried by Dack most of the rime imo, even at L1 level.

Agreed we really lacked a spark without Dack so much so when injured twice he was still an option from the bench or started with a niggle expecting 60 mins from him.

I missed two games last year out of 46. We were poor in most, no point sugar coating it. We had a couple of players that had no business being in the league, namely Dack, Raya and Mulgrew.

Ridiculous statement. 

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Agreed we really lacked a spark without Dack so much so when injured twice he was still an option from the bench or started with a niggle expecting 60 mins from him.

I can see your point but there was a completely different context. 99% of the teams we faced played to stop us. This season there will be more space in the final third because teams will come at us instead of sitting in.

47 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

We need improvements yes.

But your assessment of last season? ??

Just now, RovingRover said:

We need improvements yes.

But your assessment of last season? ??

He does have a point. Strip away the heady final days of what turned out to be a successful season.  So many "ordinary" performances were saved by one or two moments of shear class. I would imagine a stroll through the match threads on this very site would find many expressing a similar view.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

He does have a point. Strip away the heady final days of what turned out to be a successful season.  So many "ordinary" performances were saved by one or two moments of shear class. I would imagine a stroll through the match threads on this very site would find many expressing a similar view.

If we were that bad, we wouldn't have went up. We were a point away from winning the league. 

We won a lot of games. We found different ways to win them

Such strange criticism 

Classic Nixon. Giving himself till Sunday to come up with a bullshit reason why a deal he said was definitely going ahead, is now not going ahead :lol: Take note Chadster your mate really does know F ALL. 

IMG_9647.PNG

• Like 2

Just now, Butty said:

Classic Nixon. Giving himself till Sunday to come up with a bullshit reason why a deal he said was definitely going ahead, is now not going ahead :lol: Take note Chadster your mate really does know F ALL. 

IMG_9647.PNG

He's a dinosaur and about time he was extinct from this stuff but he has his agent pals to serve and probably a few bookies so he'll continue to spin his yarns whilst there's a few quid in it.

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I suspect there’s no way you’ll agree with 1/3 of what got us out of jail, but in terms of goals it was definitely Dack, Graham and Mulgrew that saved our bacon time and again. 

Also, on occasion, Raya pulled off worldie saves...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Omg. If any person believes you can accumulate 96 points, scoring 80+ goals as an ‘ordinary side carried by Dack’ (or any one player) they have no knowledge or experience of team success.  

I don’t know where this ‘we were average last season’ rhetoric is coming from but I can only think that it’s borne of the frustration of grown men who are impatiently waiting for transfer news.

It’s beyond ridiculous. Laughable.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I suspect there’s no way you’ll agree with 1/3 of what got us out of jail, but in terms of goals it was definitely Dack, Graham and Mulgrew that saved our bacon time and again. 

Also, on occasion, Raya pulled off worldie saves...

Also, early in the season, Chapman who made cameo performances which changed games, then there was Smallwoods last gasp winner at Fleetwood, oh and how about Bennett’s mom performance in Cm against Shrewsbury? Hang on, Armstrong scored 8 goals too...Antonsson started the season in excellent goal scoring form...

Amazing really, for a one man band!! Haha

• Like 2