BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, you didn't say it, but your only input on him working with a personal trainer was that it wont help his first touch. 

He will be fitter , faster, stronger from working with a PT. His Instagram and twiiter pictures will look better for his female fans which is no use if you can't control the ball, shoot and spend the rest of the winter on the bench. If he improves his finishing and control he will be a top player in this league. You can be as fit as you want if he can't improve on his footballing weaknesses he is no use to us going forward

Edited by Oldgregg86

Just now, RovingRover said:

All well and good to say we might not be running a formation that makes use if wingers. But we still need that option should things need changing.

Don’t worry we have Conway and Bennett to terrify full backs up and down the country.

• Like 1

Just a look at whats currently on the books;

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Bennett    Rothwell    Smallwood        Bell

Dack

Samuel Graham 

Subs/backups;

GK Leutwiler, Fisher

Defence; Nyambe, Downing,

Midfield; Evans, Whittingham, Travis

Forwards; Gladwin, Conway, Nuttall.

Thats a version of that team without any signings from this point on. They mentioned 5 today in the LET, but do we honestly need that many?

The u23s from last season might see some loan time but perhaps Tomlinson, Platt, Magliore etc could be added to the backup?

A version without further investment for alternate 4231;

Raya

Nyambe Lenhihan Mulgrew Williams 

Evans            Smallwood

Samuel            Dack          Conway

Graham 

Subs/backups;

GK Leutwiler, Fisher

Defence; Bell, Downing,

Midfield; Rothwell, Whittingham, Travis, Bennett

Forwards; Gladwin, Nuttall.

In the “352” be happy to see investment at Centreback to push Mulgrew to LCB (as mentioned earlier in summer, a big powerful style to counter anything and improve attacking/defending set pieces) and the obvious- wide attackers, to supplement the 4231 variant of our tactics from last season.

As for the “4231”, I think this is currently weaker, without seeing Rothwell in his role and reliance on Samuel/Conway - hence why id be looking at some investment in those areas. Chapman and Armstrong would be two who instantly improve both versions of our recent tactics imo.

Edited by Biz

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, no, no. You were saying we will struggle badly next season because we played poorly in most games last season. That was what people took issue with. You never mentioned winning ugly initially. 

My post..exact words..

"He does have a point. Strip away the heady final days of what turned out to be a successful season.  So many "ordinary" performances were saved by one or two moments of shear class. I would imagine a stroll through the match threads on this very site would find many expressing a similar view."

Where do I even mention next season, let alone that we will struggle badly? We haven't even completed our business-at least, I hope not!?

My post was very obviously-if you bother to check- a response to the instant dismissal of another poster's analysis of last season?

You seem intent on ticking both keyboard warrior and straw man boxes at the same time.

No, no no indeed! ?

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

Raya

Graham 

Relegation Fodder

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I don’t recall it being a complete failure? I remember it being ineffective at times, useful at others. Similar to how we played 4231 and 442 times and it looked useless - ie Oldham away.

4231 was in the main used, so i dont understand the desperation to change from a formation that worked in order to get us promotion.

When we did use it we looked flat. Bury at home, Doncaster at home, did we play it v Oldham at home first half? 

It doesnt get the best out of our best players. When he did play it he sometimes put Mulgrew central of a 3 to accomodate Williams, so he couldnt step out. He played 2 number 10s either side of a striker so I dont feel it gets the best out of Dack either slightly wider.

We cant be counting on the likes of Gladwin or untested youngsters either. Weve gone up with a decision so we dont need players who might at a push do a job, we need to bring in ready made quality, not overload more kids in.

Only reason we are so short on wingers is that the players we played there last season were all on loan. They need replacing with better quality.

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Relegation Fodder

That’s without another penny or loan, and to be honest I still disagree. Under TM, that team or the unchanged 352 would scrape survival imo.

Im quite sure we will see further recruits though. In a much better position than 2 years ago.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

4231 was in the main used, so i dont understand the desperation to change from a formation that worked in order to get us promotion.

When we did use it we looked flat. Bury at home, Doncaster at home, did we play it v Oldham at home first half? 

It doesnt get the best out of our best players. When he did play it he sometimes put Mulgrew central of a 3 to accomodate Williams, so he couldnt step out. He played 2 number 10s either side of a striker so I dont feel it gets the best out of Dack either slightly wider.

We cant be counting on the likes of Gladwin or untested youngsters either. Weve gone up with a decision so we dont need players who might at a push do a job, we need to bring in ready made quality, not overload more kids in.

Only reason we are so short on wingers is that the players we played there last season were all on loan. They need replacing with better quality.

Agree with much of that but I think it’s a good tactic to have a good two or three shapes to use. I think we will have to rely on counter a lot this season, which could be benefitted by 3 Centrebacks and an extra forward. If it’s not working, change around.

It’s not desperation to completely change what worked, it’s pragmatism to understand different options are necessary.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

My post..exact words..

"He does have a point. Strip away the heady final days of what turned out to be a successful season.  So many "ordinary" performances were saved by one or two moments of shear class. I would imagine a stroll through the match threads on this very site would find many expressing a similar view."

Where do I even mention next season, let alone that we will struggle badly? We haven't even completed our business-at least, I hope not!?

My post was very obviously-if you bother to check- a response to the instant dismissal of another poster's analysis of last season?

You seem intent on ticking both keyboard warrior and straw man boxes at the same time.

No, no no indeed! ?

Man, at least own up to what you said /implied 

Anyway, couldn't be bothered dissecting it any further. 

Seriously negative bunch on here. If they aren't criticising the team for playing more bad games than good in a promotion winning season, they are finding the negative in a player who works with a personal trainer before starting pre-season. 

Any signings imminent? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

21 hours ago, Butty said:

Classic Nixon. Giving himself till Sunday to come up with a bullshit reason why a deal he said was definitely going ahead, is now not going ahead :lol: Take note Chadster your mate really does know F ALL. 

IMG_9647.PNG

Because the world is waiting with baited breath for the big Norwich and Blackburn transfer specials. 

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It will give him more strength allowing him to hold off the defender, meaning he will be able to get a better first touch on the ball.

Sorry but that comment is complete and utter horlicks! You can't improve a first touch if you don't have the ability to do so in the first place. All the personal fitness trainers in the world can't alter that bit! You make some good posts then completely balls it up with silly statements like the above

40 minutes ago, ossyian said:

Sorry but that comment is complete and utter horlicks! You can't improve a first touch if you don't have the ability to do so in the first place. All the personal fitness trainers in the world can't alter that bit! You make some good posts then completely balls it up with silly statements like the above

I will go away and think about what I have done 

55 minutes ago, ossyian said:

Jason Roberts had a poor first touch but he held the ball up fantastically well for Benni Mc to play off him. That was all down to him being as strong as an ox and holding off the defender.

He was also and expert poor finisher ?

• Like 1

We know Samuel isn't a regular finisher his career record shows that and it's unlikely he ever will be so what we need from him every game is graft and putting himself about using his size.

He isn't, never was and never will be the complete striker that's why he was a league 1 sub last season and I think it was only the manager desperately trying to justify his signing that actually kept him involved.

If a hard summer with a PT gets him stronger, sharper and more up for it then it'll be an improvement and he might come in handy over the season like last. Personally he's one i'd have looked to trade but it's not likely that'll happen so get ready for Samuel MKII.

Edited by tomphil

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Man, at least own up to what you said /implied 

Anyway, couldn't be bothered dissecting it any further. 

Seriously negative bunch on here. If they aren't criticising the team for playing more bad games than good in a promotion winning season, they are finding the negative in a player who works with a personal trainer before starting pre-season. 

Any signings imminent? 

I like to think I'm being objective not negative. I take my blue and white glasses off when I watch us play. There's no point in trying to fool yourself.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Jason Roberts had a poor first touch but he held the ball up fantastically well for Benni Mc to play off him. That was all down to him being as strong as an ox and holding off the defender.

He was also and expert poor finisher ?

He’s the ideal player we need. Loved Roberts personally, remember him battering Vidic at home and Terry in the semi 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biz said:

Just a look at whats currently on the books;

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Bennett    Rothwell    Smallwood        Bell

Dack

Samuel Graham 

Subs/backups;

GK Leutwiler, Fisher

Defence; Nyambe, Downing,

Midfield; Evans, Whittingham, Travis

Forwards; Gladwin, Conway, Nuttall.

Thats a version of that team without any signings from this point on. They mentioned 5 today in the LET, but do we honestly need that many?

The u23s from last season might see some loan time but perhaps Tomlinson, Platt, Magliore etc could be added to the backup?

A version without further investment for alternate 4231;

Raya

Graham 

Subs/backups;

GK Leutwiler, Fisher

Defence; Bell, Downing,

Midfield; Rothwell, Whittingham, Travis, Bennett

Forwards; Gladwin, Nuttall.

In the “352” be happy to see investment at Centreback to push Mulgrew to LCB (as mentioned earlier in summer, a big powerful style to counter anything and improve attacking/defending set pieces) and the obvious- wide attackers, to supplement the 4231 variant of our tactics from last season.

As for the “4231”, I think this is currently weaker, without seeing Rothwell in his role and reliance on Samuel/Conway - hence why id be looking at some investment in those areas. Chapman and Armstrong would be two who instantly improve both versions of our recent tactics imo.

Either of those line ups is relegation fodder. 

We need something. Preferably pace out wide and up top to hit teams on the counter.  Just too many pedestrian players in there.    Sounds like we are keeping our powder dry until clubs are prepared to accept less than market value for their players...

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I like to think I'm being objective not negative. I take my blue and white glasses off when I watch us play. There's no point in trying to fool yourself.

I agree. I am just so relieved we got that promotion. There were so many games I saw, where were were unconvincing for large parts. Many others have said the same thing. I know what I saw!

I don't think I felt that about any of my five  previous Rovers promotion sides, although we did win ugly a good few times during Kendall's promotion.

For me, it is a bit of a paradox in that last year's team showed moments of genuine "poetry"to brighten up passages of turgid prose..

That said, I admit I also see games-or moments in games-through blue and white glasses. I don't think I will ever got over that one!

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I agree. I am just so relieved we got that promotion. There were so many games I saw, where were were unconvincing for large parts. Many others have said the same thing. I know what I saw!

I don't think I felt that about any of my five  previous Rovers promotion sides, although we did win ugly a good few times during Kendall's promotion.

For me, it is a bit of a paradox in that last year's team showed moments of genuine "poetry"to brighten up passages of turgid prose..

That said, I admit I also see games-or moments in games-through blue and white glasses. I don't think I will ever got over that one!

Nail on head.  Last season we played well in patches.  Normally a couple of 20 minute spells or one half. It was usually enough at that level but won't be this year.  

• Like 1

Can’t beleive the amount of people writing Samuel off. The lad is 23 years old, 6ft 1in and pace like an express train. His personal trainer decision shows he’s hungry to do well. He’s a confidence player for me. Needs to score early and get a run. But he has all attributes to do well in the Championship imo. Good luck to the lad.

• Like 7

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Can’t beleive the amount of people writing Samuel off. The lad is 23 years old, 6ft 1in and pace like an express train. His personal trainer decision shows he’s hungry to do well. He’s a confidence player for me. Needs to score early and get a run. But he has all attributes to do well in the Championship imo. Good luck to the lad.

There seems to be a rumour that Samuel is quick.  Have we signed a new player? The lad is faster than most of our squad but I would imagine Bell and Nyambe are comfortably quicker.

An express train he is not.

• Like 1