BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

19 minutes ago, J*B said:

A little context only causes more chaos on here - if he says 'a reliable source' or 'someone at the club' all he will get is "WHO!"

Understandbly so. Some people will jump on the back of any transfer gossip however unreliable but most want more than just "ive heard" or "my source tells me" before taking any notice.

For example, your mystery source suggested that we wanted McNulty, and a Liverpool winger (cant remember the name) on loan in January. Neither happened.

Said it the other day but Peterboroughs chairman is the most unprofessional ever. A dream for those who can try and guess where his players are going based on process of elimination and pass off the information as being "in the know" but it sends out a really bad impression of the way he and by association his club operate.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Understandbly so. Some people will jump on the back of any transfer gossip however unreliable but most want more than just "ive heard" or "my source tells me" before taking any notice.

For example, your mystery source suggested that we wanted McNulty, and a Liverpool winger (cant remember the name) on loan in January. Neither happened.

Said it the other day but Peterboroughs chairman is the most unprofessional ever. A dream for those who can try and guess where his players are going based on process of elimination and pass off the information as being "in the know" but it sends out a really bad impression of the way he and by association his club operate.

Totally, but the club has changed big time in terms of people in position of knowledge. Its a long time ago since I could post the team for each match 24 hours in advance on here knowing it was the case and that Kazim Richards was telling people on twitter privately whats going on behind the scenes. I don't think anybody at all can confidently call transfers anymore, the only one that has proved they can is the Sky Sports guy on twitter but he's only ever a couple of hours in advance of an official announcement. 

Combined to this, we have an actual scouting process now which has been implemented by Mowbray. So when tiny bits are told to people, its often they're only one on the list - e.g. McNulty (which 3 independent people told me - all off here) and Adekanye (told by a journalist) probably where targets, its just we signed different players instead - Armstrong in Adekanye's case. 

What i'm loathed to do is create a culture of people questioning every single rumour on here again which has already seen the likes of Kamy (who has genuine contacts at Ewood) and Nicko (who once upon a time did have genuine contacts at Ewood, although I admit it did go a bit weird in the end) leave the website and leave us all just guessing. Theres a good 2/3 people still left here that post and get info - it won't always be right - but its worth taking everything is a 'decent rumour' and nothing more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, callumrovers said:

Maddison is close. Mentioned this days ago. 

Hi do you have any idea what the fee is likely to be? I am sure that the Peterborough chairman in one of his tweets mentioned a £2.5 release clause payable in one lump sum and yet somebody is quoting him as saying it is "£1M ish". Do you know the answer?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16343908.mowbray-has-to-bide-time-with-transfers/

These sort of comments disturb me. We appear to have gone full circle from the optimistic comments of May and June where Mowbray was talking of adding 5 or 6 quality players and getting them in for the start of pre-season to being sat here with pre-season well underway with only 2 additions and the manager having to explain that more time is required as we wait for the loan market to open up.

Hopefully my concerns will be misplaced but my interpretation is we've gone from wanting 5-6 signings done for the start of July to now being in mid-July with only 2 done and the manager saying it is going to potentially take another 4 weeks until we know whether we can borrow some players from clubs higher up (a recipe that rarely ends in success unless you're in the market for the 'big' ones from Chelsea etc).

Having only added 2 players so far, neither of which have any significant experience, to see the manager talking about waiting for the loan market to open up is worrying.

'Hopefully' adding one or two players that are our own along with some Premier League loans when those clubs get round to it isn't good enough in my view.

I think we HAVE to add at least 3 more permanent players good enough to go straight into the first team. This means at least one winger and a couple of forwards to share the goalscoring burden and give us options.

IF we get those minimum of 3 hopefully 4 or more then assuming nobody important leaves we ought to have enough, but at present we don't.

Mowbray has earned trust and confidence but if we're already looking at loans at the back end of the window having signed 2 players and let 5 go then it doesn't fill me with confidence.  

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16343908.mowbray-has-to-bide-time-with-transfers/

These sort of comments disturb me. We appear to have gone full circle from the optimistic comments of May and June where Mowbray was talking of adding 5 or 6 quality players and getting them in for the start of pre-season to being sat here with pre-season well underway with only 2 additions and the manager having to explain that more time is required as we wait for the loan market to open up.

Hopefully my concerns will be misplaced but my interpretation is we've gone from wanting 5-6 signings done for the start of July to now being in mid-July with only 2 done and the manager saying it is going to potentially take another 4 weeks until we know whether we can borrow some players from clubs higher up (a recipe that rarely ends in success unless you're in the market for the 'big' ones from Chelsea etc).

Having only added 2 players so far, neither of which have any significant experience, to see the manager talking about waiting for the loan market to open up is worrying.

'Hopefully' adding one or two players that are our own along with some Premier League loans when those clubs get round to it isn't good enough in my view.

I think we HAVE to add at least 3 more permanent players good enough to go straight into the first team. This means at least one winger and a couple of forwards to share the goalscoring burden and give us options.

IF we get those minimum of 3 hopefully 4 or more then assuming nobody important leaves we ought to have enough to

Mowbray has earned trust and confidence but if we're already looking at loans at the back end of the window having signed 2 players and let 5 go then it doesn't fill me with confidence.  

Calm. The window is mental. Every team is struggling. We have done well to get 2 in. I really don't think fans appreciate how difficult it is to sign players. Add in that this is a world cup year and you have a really challenging job. 

What do you suggest is done to speed up the process? Every fan at every club wants to know the secret :) 

• Like 1

You have to feel that England's run in the World Cup, combined with the early start date (and early deadline) for the season will result in a lot of 'late' signings.

Today is 10th July, our season starts 4th August (3 weeks and 3 days).

Whatever happens with England, their last game at the World Cup is going to be less than four weeks from the start of the Premier League season. Likely meaning the England squad players will have to be eased back into the season (given they'll have at least two weeks off, then into a 'preseason' schedule)

Premier League starts 10th August (a month from today) and Premier League transfer deadline is 9th August, which is the same for us.

We're almost guaranteed to sign a couple either permanent, or on loan, from the Premier League. Yet these players will be needed for preseason trips, matches, media and commercial events etc...

I'd expect once the World Cup is over and the dust has settled, its going to be a frantic three weeks! With signings aplenty across all the leagues.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Calm. The window is mental. Every team is struggling. We have done well to get 2 in. I really don't think fans appreciate how difficult it is to sign players. Add in that this is a world cup year and you have a really challenging job. 

What do you suggest is done to speed up the process? Every fan at every club wants to know the secret :) 

It isn't so much the timing of it than the numbers. I accept that the window is difficult and that most clubs haven't got going properly yet but let us remind ourselves once again that Tony Mowbray very clearly said in his interviews back in May and June that he wanted his business done or nearly all done in time for pre-season. Unless he was misunderstood then he has not achieved what he said he wanted to achieve. Excuses like it being a World Cup year or other clubs not doing much business have nothing to do with our manager saying that was what he wanted and now seemingly adopting the complete opposite view in saying as long as we've got them here in 4 weeks time then its ok.

Of greater concern to me is that the Telegraph are once again pushing this loan market obsession which keeps getting put out as though the solution is to pick up who we can on loan. We haven't got enough as it is and waiting for loans is a high risk strategy which I suspect is favoured by those running the club as it saves on contract, fees and wages.

I don't necessarily accept that we've 'done well' to sign 2 players, one of which was out of contract. Plenty of clubs have done a lot more business than that so far.

Just now, JHRover said:

It isn't so much the timing of it than the numbers. I accept that the window is difficult and that most clubs haven't got going properly yet but let us remind ourselves once again that Tony Mowbray very clearly said in his interviews back in May and June that he wanted his business done or nearly all done in time for pre-season. Unless he was misunderstood then he has not achieved what he said he wanted to achieve. Excuses like it being a World Cup year or other clubs not doing much business have nothing to do with our manager saying that was what he wanted and now seemingly adopting the complete opposite view in saying as long as we've got them here in 4 weeks time then its ok.

Of greater concern to me is that the Telegraph are once again pushing this loan market obsession which keeps getting put out as though the solution is to pick up who we can on loan. We haven't got enough as it is and waiting for loans is a high risk strategy which I suspect is favoured by those running the club as it saves on contract, fees and wages.

I don't necessarily accept that we've 'done well' to sign 2 players, one of which was out of contract. Plenty of clubs have done a lot more business than that so far.

This window is more difficult than even Mowbray expected. I don't see a single club in the championship doing business that I am jealous of. Do you? 

Every club in the Championship uses the loan market. You can find real talent there. It worked well for us last year and I hope Mowbray can recreate that and integrate the lads into the squad. Not sure what the issue is? 

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

IF we get those minimum of 3 hopefully 4 or more then assuming nobody important leaves we ought to have enough, but at present we don't.

Completely agree. Seems to be a case now of "might" and "hoping" we get some of the players we need. Still all smacks of not enough money being made available to bring in the targets he wants to me.

Two other points stood out for me reading that, extremely depressing reading if you're one of our younger players finally hoping to make a breakthrough here and disappointing to see Conway cited as a reason why we might have a decent season.

This window is more difficult than even Mowbray expected. I don't see a single club in the championship doing business that I am jealous of. Do you? 

Every club in the Championship uses the loan market. You can find real talent there. It worked well for us last year and I hope Mowbray can recreate that and integrate the lads into the squad. Not sure what the issue is? 

I see the business being done at Stoke, Middlesbrough, Forest, Bristol City and Norwich and see large amounts of money being spent and quality signings made. I accept however that most of those clubs either have parachute money or have sold a few for a lot of money so have more to spend.

Elsewhere Brentford have made a few decent looking signings without spending big money. Reading signed a couple of seasoned performers.

Admittedly a few others haven't got going yet like the Sheffield clubs, Leeds, QPR.

It's not really a question of being 'jealous' of other clubs but it does irritate me to see the loan market being discussed already. I think it is the cheap, easy and low risk approach and I don't think you can build a successful club or squad when reliant on it. We need our own quality personnel throughout with a couple of loans chucked in at the end as options to turn to if needed.

• Like 3

Considering our budget I honestly think our business has been rather good. Davenport is a player who seemingly has big potential and a player who can go straight into the first team. Rothwell is another who has potential aswell as having experience and will be excellent back up to dack. If we get in Maddison, which would be a real coup, then our business will be looking excellent and imo we'd only be in need of another winger (chapman) and a striker before our squad would be ready for the season ahead.  Business has been slower than we would of all liked but sometimes that's how these windows go. 

Although it has been frustrating having very little transfer news or rumours for us fans to feed off, it can only be viewed as a positive in my eyes. It shows there are very little leaks within the club and that's how it should be, points to the club being run well, or better than it has been in the past. 

Although i think we will sign a couple on loan, unless they have experience in the championship, like Armstrong for example,  I'd rather us give oppuntinuties to our youngsters such as Wharton and Travis. Let's see how the next couple of weeks go.

47 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Copped a bit for saying the same stuff a while back. This is not where we wanted to be and its not where TM said we would be. He's also on the record as thinking its not great to rely on loanees.

Now he says he's waiting for the loan market too open up.

How to reconcile these contradictions?

Venkys anyone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Maddison ticks all the boxes for us, and I think would be a quality signing that would generate some excitement. He's in a position we need to strengthen in, fits the Mowbray mould of being relatively young, proven at a lower level, Mowbray will know him from last season and when at Coventry.

Still don't have much confidence it will be us. The Posh chairman's comments seem to leave 4 potential clubs but I'd still think WBA and possibly Stoke would be in ahead of us. Maybe not Stoke who seem to be shopping in mega money signings but WBA would make sense given they're losing a few.

If he has a release clause at £1 million or so I would expect numerous clubs to be in for him and it to then come down to who he fancies playing for/who is going to pay him most.

Might be a quality signing but I doubt he’d generate much excitement.

An exciting signing would be one that the youngsters in our fanbase will have heard of. Trouble is that if they are in our budget they are almost certainly past it!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 47er said:

Copped a bit for saying the same stuff a while back. This is not where we wanted to be and its not where TM said we would be. He's also on the record as thinking its not great to rely on loanees.

Now he says he's waiting for the loan market too open up.

How to reconcile these contradictions?

Venkys anyone?

Don't get me started. Anyway, the thought police are around!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Might be a quality signing but I doubt he’d generate much excitement.

An exciting signing would be one that the youngsters in our fanbase will have heard of. Trouble is that if they are in our budget they are almost certainly past it!

Wrong!  More imagination needed here Stuart! An exciting signing is someone with a long foreign name who we've never heard of.

The excitement lasts until he plays!

• Like 1

Todd Kane available on a free from Chelsea. He would be great competition for Nyambe. 

Jesus he's only 24 seems to have been about for ages. Had promise when we first had him here but doesnt have seemed to have improved at all in the years that have passed which is a worry. 

• Like 1

Todd Kane available on a free from Chelsea. He would be great competition for Nyambe. 

Not sure he ever turned into the player people thought he would after he left here.

He also suffered an ACL injury a couple of season back, always a concern with those types of injuries.

Edited by davulsukur

Just now, davulsukur said:

Not sure he ever turned into the player people thought he would after he left here.

He also suffered an ACL injury a couple of season back, always a concern with those types of injuries.

Kane's 25 in September, he's never played a league game for Chelsea and they've loaned him out to 7 clubs.

That's their 'model' all over. Hoover up loads of talent, put them on long term contracts and loan them out for half their career.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Kane's 25 in September, he's never played a league game for Chelsea and they've loaned him out to 7 clubs.

That's their 'model' all over. Hoover up loads of talent, put them on long term contracts and loan them out for half their career.

Yep, awful club. Ruins a lot of players careers.