BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Think its fair to say that none of the players have exactly kicked on and excelled. However when you look at the horror show that has unfolded here since their departures we've hardly coped well have we?

All 3 are pretty much where they were when they were at Rovers. Mid-table or top half of the Championship. It remains to be seen whether we are ready to reach such lofty heights again but at present i think we're short and lets be honest all 3 of them would likely walk into our starting 11.

People can get distracted by our success of last season but the reality is we're still some way behind even the play-off chasing Championship clubs having been in that pack only 3 years ago before the slash and burn stripping down process began and the last 2 seasons have been wasted coming to terms with the consequences of that policy and subsequently trying to rebuild from it. 

Not really fair to point the finger at those players about the grass being greener etc. when we've undoubtedly suffered more than they have during that time.

Rhodes would not get in our side right now.He has hardly played or scored in 2 years so no he wouldn't walk into our side,especially when we play with one front man a role Rhodes could not play.Yes Rhodes scored loads of goals here but that was a couple of years ago,his confidence looks shot to pieces.Two years of not scoring goals or playing regularly is a long time.

It would be between Hanley and Lenihan to partner Mulgrew.Hanley would be in now but I'm a big fan of Lenihan and if he stays injury free and continues to develop then there wouldn't be too much between them.

Marshall on his day would get in the side but again he isn't anything special.He isn't consistent enough and half the time he doesn't look bothered. 

All 3 players are nothing special imo.Rhodes on 30 or 40 grand a week?No thanks.

I'm not just saying this because they left, and I'm not criticising them for leaving ,the way the club was being rub and with our lack of ambition I don't blame them for moving on.But the 3 of them are nothing special.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

Backs up what I thought about him, top man! 

Hope common sense prevails on this one. 

On transfers in my naivety I got Marriot and Maddison confused, is Maddison a player in a position we’d be looking at? Isn’t he an attacking midfielder or could he play in the role of Armstrong or Chapman out wide?

Winger primarily but can play number 10 too, great assist stats for last season - a big reason why Marriot got so many goals.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Steve Waggott is currently on my train from London, off peak in standard class, what a man, look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves 

That means he's on personal business not Rovers!

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, 47er said:

That means he's on personal business not Rovers!

Or he's not flash enough to cost the club a few quid extra for the sake of 30mins on the train.

Pennies and pounds.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked on Twitter. If we didn't go off what we have got to go off, there would be no discussion 

You seem to want to just throw a million at Bauer to get the move done quickly. In reality we need to be patient and try to get the best deal. That's football and that's business. Not like football manager unfortunately. 

Not saying we Can't discuss rumours, it was just you confidently asserted that the players you listed were our main targets and I Can't see any real evidence We're in for any of them apart from Bauer.

As far as he's concerned; we can wait all we like but if we aren't offering something sensible in the same sort of ballpark as Charlton are talking we won't get the player. Not during this window anyway.

32 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Exactly the type of player we need to avoid.

A former 18 million international defender with lots of prem experience to develop our younger players, yea totally man ? exactly what we need I reckon, few players with higher level experience. He is only 33 need I point out another 33 year old Just went for 88 million. Life in him yet 

38 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

A former 18 million international defender with lots of prem experience to develop our younger players, yea totally man ? exactly what we need I reckon, few players with higher level experience. He is only 33 need I point out another 33 year old Just went for 88 million. Life in him yet 

Wes Brown, Gordon Green, Danny Murphy all had international experience and could have helped develop the youngsters. Avoid these types of signings at all costs. Leave the development to the coaches not ageing players stealing a wage. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Did you just compare Glenn Johnson to Cristiano Ronaldo? Really? Did you just do that?! ?

3 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Just watched the second half of the Hibs friendly. Nyambe wasn’t troubled in the slightest and looks to have dropped a half stone, looks a touch leaner. Most underrated player in the squad. Nyambe is first choice and Travis and Bennett can back him up. 

We need strikers and wingers, two of each and another Centre Half.

Agree..he gets a lot of stick and makes the odd mistake but every game I saw us last season he was our main attacking outlet from the back. Bombed forward at every opportunity. Far more than WIlliams ever does. 

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Glenn Johnson was never worth £18million, he may have been sold for that much but he was never worth it.

He'll turn 34 in a month and has a nice history with injuries to go with that.

He would be here for one reason and one reason only, a final pay day.

13 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Glenn Johnson was never worth £18million, he may have been sold for that much but he was never worth it.

He'll turn 34 in a month and has a nice history with injuries to go with that.

He would be here for one reason and one reason only, a final pay day.

Wes Brown had a great sense of humour apparently!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Ronaldo, one of the greatest players of all time, looks after himself like no other athlete on the planet and would still walk into practically any lineup in the world at 33 - hence why clubs are still willing to pay 88 million for him despite his age. Shirts sales alone will probably recoup alot of that.

Can you say the same about Glenn Johnson?

if there was still 'life in him yet' - surely a premier league team would have snapped him up as he is out on contract. They haven't and now he is scrapping around looking for one last contract at whatever club he can find that will take him.

Not saying its a completely bad shout and dont want to tarnish all older players with the same brush but we have been stung on these types of signings countless times over the years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

Or he's not flash enough to cost the club a few quid extra for the sake of 30mins on the train.

Pennies and pounds.

Pleb staff---2nd class rail ticket

Owners-----Rolls Royce each!    :unsure:

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/07/10/do-west-brom-among-bookies-favourites-to-sign-peterboroughs-marc/

Maybe it's not us, although it has been reported that 2 championship clubs have met his release clause of £2.5M - Us and West Brom? The bookies clearly don't think it is us.

Thought his release clause was just over £1million. In that case it won't be us, cannot see us spending that on one player. If we did I think it would be onto loan signings then.

4 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/07/10/do-west-brom-among-bookies-favourites-to-sign-peterboroughs-marc/

Maybe it's not us, although it has been reported that 2 championship clubs have met his release clause of £2.5M - Us and West Brom? The bookies clearly don't think it is us.

It hasn't been mentioned on any site that we are interested so unfortunately I'm becoming increasingly confident it's not us. Always seemed a signing which would be too good to be true. 

Just now, TruRover said:

It hasn't been mentioned on any site that we are interested so unfortunately I'm becoming increasingly confident it's not us. Always seemed a signing which would be too good to be true. 

Keep the dream alive you never know. It all depends on highly Tony rates him. He could see him as a major catalyst to make things happen, in which case he may think £2.5M is a price worth paying. Until he has gone somewhere else I will keep wishing and hoping. 

• Like 1

Just now, TruRover said:

Amazing how we've ended up in a state where signing a decent player from Peterborough is considered to be beyond reach.

If you take that Peterborough chairman's comments at face value then there's only a handful of clubs that could fill the criteria unless he's going abroad. If his release clause is only a million or so then I'd be astonished if there weren't a dozen or more Championship clubs activating it and I'd be extremely impressed if we'd managed to do so under a veil of secrecy ahead of rivals.

I have to say that I'm underwhelmed to say the least with our business so far. That's no particular criticism of those who have come in who I know very little about and who might turn out ok for us. However I don't believe we are stronger than we were at the end of last season, I think we are weaker.

Maybe we'll see more activity in the coming weeks but at the time of writing I'm not exactly comfortable with what has happened so far. A signing like Maddison would allay those concerns by addressing a problem area with a sought after player.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Keep the dream alive you never know. It all depends on highly Tony rates him. He could see him as a major catalyst to make things happen, in which case he may think £2.5M is a price worth paying. Until he has gone somewhere else I will keep wishing and hoping. 

He may think it's worth paying, but my hair would be shocked into growing back if those kind of funds were be available.

Look mate, I'm not trying to piss on yer chips; I'd love if we signed him too. Until it's dead in the water, I'll also be holding onto a sliver of hope but I just think that if we had that kinda money to spend, we wouldn't be playing silly buggers with Charlton over their centre-half.

Edited by Give 'Em the Axe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Until it's dead in the water, I'll also be holding onto a sliver of hope but I just think that if we had that kinda money to spend, we wouldn't be playing silly buggers with Charlton over their centre-half.

If, in theory, we had 2.5 million to spend on a player in a position we really need to strengthen, it doesn't mean we have an EXTRA 2 million to spend on a central defender with 12 months on their deal.

There's two things at play there. Prioritising - if our budget was say, 3.5 million, you can't buy both and the other players we need, but you could probably get one and fill the other positions acceptably. Also, value for money. We might feel one just about represents it, and the other doesn't at all, for the prices asked.

Spending 2.5 mill on one player wouldn't mean we can spend that on everyone.

Edited by bluebruce
Fixed some of the grammar.
  • Like 2