BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Average pace for a striker, he wasn't rapid by any means.

Too be fair I'd say his pace was decent enough, it's his lack of strength and ability to hold the ball up that lets him down for me. If we wanted a big target man big Matt Smith would be ideal, always rated him for his work rate alone. Without being the most gifted of players he's a huge guy and scored 11 league goals in the league last season for QPR. I'd be tempting him with a move back up North. 

Not being funny but Gallagher is lacking confidence, he definitely wasn’t poor here on loan, scored quite a few. Doesn’t help that he’s being farmed out on loan left right and centre. If he does leave Southampton, he needs to leave permanently and work his way into a settled side. 

40 minutes ago, neophox said:

Well Antonsson choosed Malmö FF and may play Champions League football. He was way better than Nuttal and Samuel with his attitude and did score more goals and he wanted to come

here. Sadly it did not happened and we shall see IF we can find better.. 

He was a poor player. No better or worse than Samuel but yes, a better attitude. 

Just now, Tormund said:

Not being funny but Gallagher is lacking confidence, he definitely wasn’t poor here on loan, scored quite a few. Doesn’t help that he’s being farmed out on loan left right and centre. If he does leave Southampton, he needs to leave permanently and work his way into a settled side. 

I just read he's on £24k a week at Southampton ! Football is a mad world. You'd think he could afford a personal trainer and some Guinness and steak on that sort of money. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I just read he's on £24k a week at Southampton ! Football is a mad world. You'd think he could afford a personal trainer and some Guinness and steak on that sort of money. 

Certainly is a big wage. I’ll take him for 12k a week on loan.

10 hours ago, tomphil said:

We need height up front desperately and he's proved he can score goals at this level plus well he's better than Samuel so it's an interesting one although I think he'll end up somewhere that's prepared to pay a big loan fee.

Yes but he isn’t very good in the air for somebody so tall. 

Just now, robbojohnno said:

I don't understand this one. We need to make a permanent signing. Gallagher on loan is just an expensive stop gap and we will have to find someone this time next year. Avoid.

2 loans and 2 permanents still to come in. No reason why Gally won't be coming here on loan. He is the kind of decent character that Mowbray likes.

Agree we should be looking at permanents but we don't have the money to sign the likes of Gally and pay his wages. That's why Mowbray's permanents are coming from league 1 and the City youth team...a d those 2 cost close to £1m in total. 

As I said last night, wouldn't be totally against him coming back here on loan but ideally we get someone else in on a permenant basis. We definitely need to bring 2 forwards in before kick off. Samuel should only be a bit part player this season and Nuttall should be loaned out. I hope TM didn't return from India expecting more to spend than what he's now been told he has to spend.. Wouldn't be the first time our owners have done something like this. Promised Lambert the World when he took the job then when he realised it was bullshit he was gone..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Ronaldo and Messi, nice strawman Chris.

You may watch plenty of football Chris but  you only seem to repeat the same names Chris once Nixon links them to us.

I expect you to list Gallagher in every post now alongside Clark Kent; then Nixon will link someone else and you’ll mention him every day as well. 

I’d rather we went for a Marriott type over Gallagher, more up front cost but a potential investment and would be our player.

Gallagher isn’t bad bad by any means but it would be disappointing if he emerged as our main striker target at this point and would imply other things haven’t come off.

If we have this new method in place I’m surprised we haven’t yet been linked with more unknown quantities from abroad rather than a striker we all could have mentioned.

I have suggestion lots of players who Nixon hasn't mention so please don't lie about that. I suggestion April/May players like Matt Smith, Chris Martin as Target man options to sign. I think I also suggestion Gallagher a while back. Didn't I suggest Edwards from Peterborough or QPR winger Samuel Odayi. I did suggest going for Sam Winnall who has goals at this level and someone who is likely to leave Sheff Wednesday this summer. 

Does Marriott have the game for the Championship or will he just be another Matty Taylor who struggled for goals since joining Bristol City? if we don't have loads of money surely we should be looking to buy someone with experience of scoring goals at level like the players I have mention. 

I would agree would you on your last comment tho Tom tho. Think its a good point you make

43 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Agree about over inflated prices but sad to say if you want a player you will have to pay the going rate. If you don't you dont get the players. If we get a bad start then panic sets in and we'll pay even more.

I cant see Mowbray panicking at all. think he will stick to his guns and not over pay for players

42 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

What has been told to date was that Mowbray would not be held ransom to an overflated transfer market. As it stand our squad is good enough to stay up and that is all I want to see this year. Progress with an extra year of experience under our belt and some good hungry players. There are some exciting players being mentioned with the likes of Gallagher, Armstrong, Chapman, Maddison, even if we got half of them we would have a seriously good looking squad on our hands!

I'm pleased Mowbray isn't paying over the top for average players or daft wages. that's not we need as a club or a playing squad. 

41 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

The new scouting system must be just a man and a dog if we are still only looking at players who have played well against Mowbray and players he has managed before....which was the case last summer as he admitted. 

Its takes times to put in place a new scouting system and get it working properly

32 minutes ago, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Gallagher makes sense in that he is mobile and quick and will provide the link for the likes of Dack to play off. He will also provide an outlet for when we're under the cosh which we will be this season at times. 

The LT have said 2 permanent signings and 2 loans still to come in. If he also wants a keeper then we may need more than 4.

I agree on the type of player Gallagher is and someone Mowbray could improve

7 minutes ago, Tormund said:

scored 11 league goals here when on loan. 

I agree he needs to leave Southampton permanently but the question is how many clubs could afford the fee/clauses Southampton would want and his current wages?

• Like 1

Just now, roversinmyblood said:

Yes but he isn’t very good in the air for somebody so tall. 

Neither was Crouch and nor is Kane not that i'm actually comparing ability but it just seems the way with big lads these days the out and out target man type is disappearing even lower down the scale. Both those and I think Gallagher to be fair have scored their share of headed goals but yeah it's annoying when someone 6ft plus suddenly becomes a foot shorter than the centre half when the ball is aimed at their head.

Just now, tomphil said:

Neither was Crouch and nor is Kane not that i'm actually comparing ability but it just seems the way with big lads these days the out and out target man type is disappearing even lower down the scale. Both those and I think Gallagher to be fair have scored their share of headed goals but yeah it's annoying when someone 6ft plus suddenly becomes a foot shorter than the centre half when the ball is aimed at their head.

Crouch has scored more headed goals than anyone in Premier League history, just a stat I heard the other day. If Gallagher was as good as him in the air I’d be delighted.

Defenders head up and away, strikers down and aimed, does negate some height advantage sometimes.

• Like 1

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Maddison not on Posh Portugal trip. Chairman on twitter saying Championship club still working on deal for him so Maddison has stayed in England. It must be close whoever it is (Us, Rotherham, Stoke, Swansea or WBA) 

There is also the possibility that a new club has come in for him. Will be interesting to see where he turns up. Fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Crouch has scored more headed goals than anyone in Premier League history, just a stat I heard the other day. If Gallagher was as good as him in the air I’d be delighted.

Defenders head up and away, strikers down and aimed, does negate some height advantage sometimes.

Actually I think the point a few are making is Gallagher as target man back to goal type thing after I said we need height up front, Crouch good header but poor jumper, Kane tends to come off his man then jump, lean backwards. Centre halves jump straight up to get as much forward purchase as possible as you say.

As I've said also the days of target men looking to flick on are fast disappearing, from what I remember of Gallagher he was ok heading towards goal if a little weak but my point remains we need some good height upfront in the box to get on the end of scoring opportunities ahd to me he fits that BUT I think he's probably too expensive.

I do think he's an improvement of Samuel & Nuttall though.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Some Trumpesque stuff about shame and lies on here, I think the big fella's visit is having an influence.

Gallagher was a player with potential when he was here, he has talent and but although he had some games he didn't quite do enough for me.

If he's coming as the lesser of two incoming strikers on a cheap loan then he's not a bad option though I'd prefer him on a permanent.   He is about the age that he really needs to start fulfilling his potential if he wants to make it in the premier league but if he hasn't improved much and is coming in as the main striker to challenge Graham I would hope there might be better out there.

Just now, TruRover said:

There is also the possibility that a new club has come in for him. Will be interesting to see where he turns up. Fingers crossed.

I think it's the same club. He would have been straight on twitter to announce otherwise. Us or WBA would be my guess but as I exclusively revealed on here it's likely to be us if we are trying to get them to agree to a 100 year repayment plan. 

• Like 1