BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Isnt fantastic a massive exaggeration? He was loaned out to Ireland last year, he cant be as good as you say.

Besides, Hart will probably leave himself so its a moot comparison. Left backs one position with Williams and Bell that we look solid in.

Loaning out youngsters is a sign that they are good not bad.

6 hours ago, 47er said:

The activity on here has been frenetic, the activity by the club in the actual transfer market less so.

Is it fair to conclude that the owners have let the manager down yet again and that his inability to sign players "early" and not to rely on last minute loans is probably down to an inadequate budget that leaves the manager no room to move?

As it stands, the enormous impetus of a highly successful season is in danger of being thrown away. Its a familiar situation and fore-shadowed by many weeks ago.

I can see us struggling to be dragged into a relegation battle which would be heart-breaking after such a lift last season.

I wouldn’t conclude that the owners have let us down, no. TM and the directorship went out there with seemingly well laid plans and the feeling when they returned was that the news on budgets was good...

Hate to say it but I am coming to the opinion that TM and the directors had underestimated the market. It’s never easy to get value early in a World Cup year as teams start back late, sign players later meaning the trickle down comes later. But when you listen to TM over the last few days it’s evident that they are struggling which is a worry.

its a worry because we a badly short of people to create and score goals at the top end of the pitch. If truth be known had I realised we would struggle this much I’d have happily agreed to keeping last seasons squad and not signing a single other player because I think we were stronger then than we are now...maybe they need to reasses and go back to Venkys for some more cash.

There’s time. Hope we can add some good creativity and goals soon or it will be a long hard season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

It was Phil foden knowing our bad luck and we missed out on him

It doesn't say we missed out on him,  just that  City aren't letting him go as they are taking him on tour which would suggest he's a good player though I would expect Foden to go to a premier league club if any.

TM says he has four or five plates spinning so that suggests we are certainly trying.

IF we are in for Maddison then TM's comments about agents might suggest that he is after quite a bit in wages. When TM  made his comments about the budget after coming  back from India I remember thinking that we might have a few million to spend  but it might be difficult  as when you spend  a couple of  million or more on  a player they expect wages to match, who knows maybe 20k+  a week and it didn't seem like they wanted to upset any players by getting ones in on significantly better wages.

It is all conjecture of course but it might be that TM and Waggott are trying hard to persuade Maddison, or any other relatively high fee player and agent, to take lower wages and it is dragging on and on.  You can tell Mowbray has been getting frustrated over the last couple of weeks especially and that he is sensitive to fan frustration but  I expect he will still make the number of signings he wanted to but the quality might be a little more questionable.

34 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

It doesn't say we missed out on him,  just that  City aren't letting him go as they are taking him on tour which would suggest he's a good player though I would expect Foden to go to a premier league club if any.

TM says he has four or five plates spinning so that suggests we are certainly trying.

IF we are in for Maddison then TM's comments about agents might suggest that he is after quite a bit in wages. When TM  made his comments about the budget after coming  back from India I remember thinking that we might have a few million to spend  but it might be difficult  as when you spend  a couple of  million or more on  a player they expect wages to match, who knows maybe 20k+  a week and it didn't seem like they wanted to upset any players by getting ones in on significantly better wages.

It is all conjecture of course but it might be that TM and Waggott are trying hard to persuade Maddison, or any other relatively high fee player and agent, to take lower wages and it is dragging on and on.  You can tell Mowbray has been getting frustrated over the last couple of weeks especially and that he is sensitive to fan frustration but  I expect he will still make the number of signings he wanted to but the quality might be a little more questionable.

No point signing players If they aren't going to improve what we ave.  Under 23s can plug gaps.  

If they weren't aware of the expected fees and wages of players they were interested in, then clearly the scouting system isn't working.

13 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

No point signing players If they aren't going to improve what we ave.  Under 23s can plug gaps.  

If they weren't aware of the expected fees and wages of players they were interested in, then clearly the scouting system isn't working.

Do you really think it's as simple as knowing the fee and wages before going for a player? Wow. It's so simple. Why does practically every transfer drag on I just don't know. You should be our Head of negotiations :) before you inevitably get poached by Madrid of course :D

Bit of a random name throw but looking at that Man City squad list, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jack Harrison. Signed from New York City F.C. in January and was loaned out to boro straight away. Lad grew up around Darwen.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 47er said:

Reading the LT article TM clearly blaming player wage demands for hold-ups/lack of success.

Greedy players or inadequate budget?

There are clubs in the championship who are spending crazy money this summer, some with parachute payments some without.  Unfortunately for us this has had a trickle down effect in that what we thought would be a reasonable budget is now being stretched.  The hope is that as we get closer to the deadline it will focus people's minds and deals with get done and a more realistic level.  

Priority has to be to get permanent deals done first as window closes 5pm on 9th August.  Loans we can worry about later as that window is open until 31st August.

• Like 2

Just now, Kamy100 said:

There are clubs in the championship who are spending crazy money this summer, some with parachute payments some without.  Unfortunately for us this has had a trickle down effect in that what we thought would be a reasonable budget is now being stretched.  The hope is that as we get closer to the deadline it will focus people's minds and deals with get done and a more realistic level.  

But isn't what was a 'realistic level' 3, 4 years ago, now something else entirely? The Championship has moved on and if we are not careful we will be left well behind (if we haven't already).

• Like 1

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16363040.rovers-season-ticket-update-as-liverpool-sales-top-10000/?ref=mac

Waggott talks about season tickets and transfers

“I think we’re up to circa 9,000 and I am aiming for 10,500,” Waggott said of season ticket sales.

“The statistics are quite interesting in terms of new supporters coming back and returning ones from the 2011/12 season. I look at all the trends of how we’re doing and I think with a few more to renew, we can hit that target.

“I’m hoping we can add to that with the announcements we’re going to make and with the targets Tony has got, which are very exciting, but the market is very competitive.

“We’ve been working hard, but players not yet coming back, the World Cup has added more complexities but as I’ve said to Tony, we’ve got to hold firm.”

Seems to me from reading that they are hopeful of some signings to attract more season ticket sales which in turn would lead to thinking we are still hopeful of getting some good players in and that leaves me more optimistic.  The 'hold firm' line though might mean we have to be patient.

Edited by Blueandwhitemike

Just now, Mattyblue said:

But isn't what was a 'realistic level' 3, 4 years ago, now something else entirely? The Championship has moved on and if we are not careful we will be left well behind (if we haven't already).

Absolutely Matt but it does seem that this summer in particular the level has gone up much faster than previously.  We had Wolves last year paying crazy money but the rest of the league was fairly sensible so things remained relatively controlled.

Personally I would rather they carry on doing what we are doing in that we only spend what we can realistic afford to do so, it might not be very exciting but hopefully it will lead to the debt being slowly being reduced and our medium term future being a little bit more secure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BG1492 said:

Bit of a random name throw but looking at that Man City squad list, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jack Harrison. Signed from New York City F.C. in January and was loaned out to boro straight away. Lad grew up around Darwen.

This makes sense. Attacking quick winger.

Have patience. TM is the most sensible manager at Rovers since Allardyce. He wants hungry players who wants to succed at Rovers. Davenport and Rothwell are fine examples. He also wants to shift some players out. Wait and see. 

• Like 5

Player transfer values and wages have been on the up in the Championship for quite a few years. Refer back to QPR and Leicester.

With increasingly wealthy clubs being relegated from the PL, with increasing money in the Championship from media rights and by natural progression the up trend will continue until and unless an overall implosion occurs by media money input falling - unlikely and forcast to rise.

If I can see that so can the likes of Waggot. It has not caught anyone by suprise.

Final judgement on Rovers performance in this window is reserved until it closes, and I don't mean the loan window!

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

• Backroom

The article in the Telegraph is concerning, mention that we want to add at least 2 attacking players. Truth is we need 4!

A lot of focus on loans when Tony was on record saying he didn’t want that.

Really concerning, we could start the season with Conway in line for a starting spot which would be disastrous really.

• Like 4

Just now, Tom said:

The article in the Telegraph is concerning, mention that we want to add at least 2 attacking players. Truth is we need 4!

A lot of focus on loans when Tony was on record saying he didn’t want that.

Really concerning, we could start the season with Conway in line for a starting spot which would be disastrous really.

Do the telegraph and Sharp know that much though?Yeah they hear names or whatever but it's been many years since the telegraph had a genuine exclusive. 

I found the article a bit pointless today,no names mentioned. 

• Like 1