BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

28 minutes ago, neophox said:

Also look at the ridiculous spending by Nottingham, £25m spent this window. 

Its not ridiculous if they get promoted off the back of it. Its a calculated gamble. If it pays off the rewards are vast, if they fail then they 'might' get into trouble with the authorities, or more likely they'll just have to sell a couple and carry on.

24 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Player transfer values and wages have been on the up in the Championship for quite a few years. Refer back to QPR and Leicester.

With increasingly wealthy clubs being relegated from the PL, with increasing money in the Championship from media rights and by natural progression the up trend will continue until and unless an overall implosion occurs by media money input falling - unlikely and forcast to rise.

If I can see that so can the likes of Waggot. It has not caught anyone by suprise.

Final judgement on Rovers performance in this window is reserved until it closes, and I don't mean the loan window!

Our signing of Rhodes was one of the first 'mega' signings for a Championship club. Most clubs haven't reached that level yet but spend a few million here and there on players.

We can plead poverty and come high and mighty about 'holding firm' in a difficult market. Reality is we've had 2 massive advantages over most clubs in the last 5-6 years. One being we had parachute cash but wasted most of it, the other being we had £30 million+ of players which we sold and banked the dosh.

Most clubs haven't had both of those luxuries and yet have ended up in a stronger state than we are in. The benefits of sensible management!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Do the telegraph and Sharp know that much though?Yeah they hear names or whatever but it's been many years since the telegraph had a genuine exclusive. 

I found the article a bit pointless today,no names mentioned. 

Whether exclusive articles or not I find Rich Sharpe to be one of the better ones covering Rovers from the LT in recent years, he still has copy to write , you get pieces like this with no names, on the other hand because of his relationship with the club maybe they have asked for the name to be withheld in case others start sniffing around the player.

I rather that than another riddle from the gatekeeper of the transfers which if questioned, he uses his mighty hack powers to send you to fudsville

Edited by perthblue02

Just now, perthblue02 said:

Whether exclusive articles or not I find Rich Sharpe to be one of the better ones covering Rovers from the LT in recent years, he still has copy to write , you get pieces like this with no names, on the other hand because of his relationship with the club maybe they have asked for the name to be withheld in case others start sniffing around the player.

I rather that than another riddle from the gatekeeper of the transfers which if questioned, he uses his mighty hack powers to send you to fudsville

Don't get me wrong I like Sharp but the let is not a paper for exclusives.And to be fair the let is the same old stories rehashed over and over again.

I mean come on at least give us a name in that article today.I could understand if it was a perm deal and they where trying to keep it under wraps but it's a loan move and I'm sure most clubs will already know what players city are willing to loan out

Can understand why people are so underwhelmed and frustrated.

I do agree with @chaddyrovers (minus the irony) that the article is a bit pointless without a name but whoever this supposed player is, its going to be a really raw untested one, almost certainly on loan.

The quotes in the article from Mowbray are the biggest take out in that he seems to be getring frustrated. It seems we are not shopping in a competitive market, the 2 signings weve made, whilst Davenport im quite happy with neither will improve the first team loads and I would expect both to be subs maybe initially.

As mentioned we need more than 2 attacking players. If we dont sign some quality it will be a long season at the bottom and the momentum will soon be lost.

I think everyone is frustrated at the state of the market at the moment. That doesn't mean to say good players aren't available at a reasonable price. Owners up and down the country continue to put millions in in order to balance the books and provide funds for signings in the effort of reaching the big money PL.

If Mowbray wants to spend 2 million quid the owners should put their money in and try and get this club back to the PL as they claim they want every year. Fishing in the sub- 1million pound pool is always going to be a frustrating time in a world where 10 million is considered a bit of a cheap deal these days.

I am in no way advocating a Nottingham Forest style spending spree but if Mowbray can't even table an offer of 2 million quid then, in all honesty, what are we to expect? I sincerely hope it's a case of "keeping the powder dry" and eventually we will land a definitive key player or else it's obvious the funds clearly have never been there. 

• Like 4

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think everyone is frustrated at the state of the market at the moment. That doesn't mean to say good players aren't available at a reasonable price. Owners up and down the country continue to put millions in in order to balance the books and provide funds for signings in the effort of reaching the big money PL.

If Mowbray wants to spend 2 million quid the owners should put their money in and try and get this club back to the PL as they claim they want every year. Fishing in the sub- 1million pound pool is always going to be a frustrating time in a world where 10 million is considered a bit of a cheap deal these days.

I am in no way advocating a Nottingham Forest style spending spree but if Mowbray can't even table an offer of 2 million quid then, in all honesty, what are we to expect? I sincerely hope it's a case of "keeping the powder dry" and eventually we will land a definitive key player or else it's obvious the funds clearly have never been there. 

Or we reach the day after the window has slammed shut and it turns out 'money was there to spend from the owners but we weren't going to spend it for the sake of it'. We've heard that one a few times before.

• Like 6

Just now, R1verS1deBlue said:

We need 7 players who are Championship first team quality.

If you include those 2 kids we bought (which personally I don't) then we need 5 more.

Faster pace etc will likely mean DG & CM will pick up some injuries (which surprisingly to most of us, they stayed clear of last season).

We are threadbare quality wise.

Dack (who is unproven at this level) may do OK... or not.

Last season when teams picked him up, he was anonymous and then we really struggled.

Expect this every week against better sides.

In short we need a plan B player and a plan C player (in case plan A Dack isn't working).

Presently we DO NOT HAVE THEM.

2 weeks to kick off...

46 games to the play offs...

So 7 first-team players, right...  Who are you dropping from last year? 

I think you are going to be disappointed 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

There's nothing wrong with suggesting first team players. We need players that can go straight into the first team and improve the squad.

Squad fillers will make sure we stand still and if we stand still, we go backwards.....

• Like 3

Just now, K-Hod said:

There's nothing wrong with suggesting first team players. We need players that can go straight into the first team and improve the squad.

Squad fillers will make sure we stand still and if we stand still, we go backwards.....

Exactly. Even Man City have made signings you'd expect to be in the first team this season and they romped the best league in the world last season.

This idea that we have a good enough squad because we came 2nd in League 1 is wrong. This season is an entirely new season altogether and we should always look at improving our first team

• Like 2

Just now, islander200 said:

Hughill is reportedly available to loan from West Ham ,anyone think he would be a decent option to come in and play up front?Would imagine he is on a high wage tho

Would be a great signing, not a fan of loans to much but he would be a step above what we have atm, proven to score goals and fits the target man role. However imagine there would be a number of clubs ahead in the que.

Just now, islander200 said:

Hughill is reportedly available to loan from West Ham ,anyone think he would be a decent option to come in and play up front?Would imagine he is on a high wage tho

Yes, he would be a great signing. Can imagine a fee would be involved though and a long queue 

Just now, K-Hod said:

Nope nothing wrong with it, but nothing wrong with asking who they should replace in the first team either! 

Just now, TruRover said:

Would be a great signing, not a fan of loans to much but he would be a step above what we have atm, proven to score goals and fits the target man role. However imagine there would be a number of clubs ahead in the que.

I'm not a big fan of loans either unless they have an option to buy attached to them.But I suppose it depends on the quality of the loan player in question.Hughill has done it in the championship so like you say probably be a que for him.

We have been stung with loans in the past but last year we did use the loan market well.Chapman, Armstrong,Downing,Payne and Antonnson all played their part.Harper was the only one that did nothing 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Exactly. Even Man City have made signings you'd expect to be in the first team this season and they romped the best league in the world last season.

This idea that we have a good enough squad because we came 2nd in League 1 is wrong. This season is an entirely new season altogether and we should always look at improving our first team

Who have they signed that you reckon will be in the first team? I think the players in the starting 11 last season would disagree with you there.

It's about creating competition. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Davenport and Rothwell will be starting the 1st game of next season  

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So 7 first-team players, right...  Who are you dropping from last year? 

I think you are going to be disappointed 

Armstrong/Chapman, Antonsson and Payne have gone so that's 3 replacements up top to start with. Samuel and Nuttall were regulars in the squad yet not sure if either are good enough for the Championship.

So straight off that's 6 players in forward positions who have either left the club or probably aren't good enough for the Championship.

They need replacing.

I've no problem with Samuel staying as 3rd choice striker on the bench but don't think Nuttall is up to it.

• Like 1

I think 7 players is changing the goalposts a little and I have to disagree. It's not the Premier League! I'd argue we are AT LEAST as strong as when we came down, on goal difference, due to bad management.

5 minutes ago, R1verS1deBlue said:

Dack (who is unproven at this level) may do OK... or not.

Last season when teams picked him up, he was anonymous and then we really struggled.

Obviously, still don't know what Dack will do in the Championship, but (maybe rose tinted glasses) I don't really remember him being kept quiet or anonymous by anyone? Towards the end of the season his fitness struggled yes, but what other examples were there of him being nullified? 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Armstrong/Chapman, Antonsson and Payne have gone so that's 3 replacements up top to start with. Samuel and Nuttall were regulars in the squad yet not sure if either are good enough for the Championship.

So straight off that's 6 players in forward positions who have either left the club or probably aren't good enough for the Championship.

They need replacing.

I've no problem with Samuel staying as 3rd choice striker on the bench but don't think Nuttall is up to it.

The only 1 of them you could call a definite starter was Armstrong though. 

I would have doubts about Samuel and Nutall too, so we do need a striker. 

Payne was a nice back up to Dack, I am surprised we didn't sign him on loan as he was available. I suppose he didn't want to be a sub, nor did Huddersfield. I think Mowbray plans on using Rothwell there. Then there is Glad.... actually, ya so Rothwell can play there 

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I think 7 players is changing the goalposts a little and I have to disagree. It's not the Premier League! I'd argue we are AT LEAST as strong as when we came down, on goal difference, due to bad management.

Obviously, still don't know what Dack will do in the Championship, but (maybe rose tinted glasses) I don't really remember him being kept quiet or anonymous by anyone? Towards the end of the season his fitness struggled yes, but what other examples were there of him being nullified? 

Multiple player of the month awards and player of the year is all the proof you need to know you are right.

• Like 1