BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

The positive brigade can parade it all they want, but if we go out into Ipswich with this squad then we are weaker than we were in league 1. Luckily, very lucky, we have a gaffer who csn organise a team and a team that like the manager, that should see is through to safety, but it will be a crappy season. 

• Like 1

Just now, AAK said:

One thing is for sure, if that bugger is guna be second string to graham, and graham gets injured, ill be watching darwen. Nuttall isn't worthy of even being a football league player, never mind championshio, hes absolute garbage. 

Are you related to Dominic Samuel in some way?

• Like 1

I personally think that Wharton, Nuttall and Tomlinson should go out on loan. I did think the same for Travis, but maybe his performances and versatility mean we need him a bit too much.

I understand @Stuart how you may be skeptical about players who we have loaned out in the past, but like you said, Raya and Lenihan benefitted recently and everything needs to be treat on its individual merits, is Wharton going to play in front of Mulgrew and Lenihan? No, and are Downing and Williams with their experience more likely to be adequate cover? Id suggest yes, more so than keeping Wharton for the odd game when he could be playing a full season regularly at a club he is already comfortable at.

Tomlinson is behind Smallwood, Evans, Bennett, Davenport, Whittingham and Travis, and has never had regular first team football, nor would he get it here. Same with Nuttall, he had an impact when he first came into the team off the bench mainly, then he faded and when he started, I remember v Bury away and Bristol Rovers at home, he looked short physically and unable to lead the line, so give him a season in League 1 or League 2.

We was linked with Nmecha the other day from City, thats not a deal id want us to do however, as he has no first team experience really himself. Davenport is a bit different in that he held his own in this league last season, and is a long term project.

55 minutes ago, Tom said:

After the game Mowbray was speaking about Nuttall and said he would be an option for us if we don’t sign anyone else - hope he’s a little more confident than he sounds of bringing in new forwards 

Doesnt instill confidence does he? http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16370473.lincoln-city-0-blackburn-rovers-1-tony-mowbray-reaction/?ref=mac

On Nuttall, Mowbray said: “Joe only has Dominic Samuel and Danny Graham ahead of him and at the moment he’ll definitely be in and around the attacking options for us.

“If that’s how we start the season then Joe will have to be around it.

“I’ve talked to Joe and potentially a loan move - if we can get the strikers in that we want, or the attacking options - then I think Joe’s next progression might well be to play 30 or 40 games somewhere - similarly to Scotty Wharton - and score some goals and give him the confidence and belief in playing in the league."

He sounds frustrated and as if nothing is imminent, reading between the lines. (What else can we do considering our transfer window is so slow?) 

The quote in bold, almost implies that either theres a chance that we wont sign any strikers, or at best, they will be loans after the season has started. Neither of which possibilities for me can be deemed acceptable.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

CB is not a priority though.

Agreed. If we are strapped for cash, no need to spend it on a non-priority position. If we have anything left over after a striker and 2 wingers then maybe.

• Like 3

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

CB is not a priority though.

I agree. Attacking players are the priority but just seems odd we were interested in Bauer before the Wharton deal. Now that Wharton has gone I find it hard to believe a CB won't be coming in. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I understand @Stuart how you may be skeptical about players who we have loaned out in the past, but like you said, Raya and Lenihan benefitted recently and everything needs to be treat on its individual merits, is Wharton going to play in front of Mulgrew and Lenihan? No, and are Downing and Williams with their experience more likely to be adequate cover? Id suggest yes, more so than keeping Wharton for the odd game when he could be playing a full season regularly at a club he is already comfortable at.

Tomlinson is behind Smallwood, Evans, Bennett, Davenport, Whittingham and Travis, and has never had regular first team football, nor would he get it here. Same with Nuttall, he had an impact when he first came into the team off the bench mainly, then he faded and when he started, I remember v Bury away and Bristol Rovers at home, he looked short physically and unable to lead the line, so give him a season in League 1 or League 2.

Just so I understand what you are saying...

We should trust the loan system because 2 out of 30-plus loans out of the club have given us two players?

We should loan out our homegrown CB cover, our CM cover and our ST cover so that we can buy or loan replacements?

I’ve no problem in principle with Wharton going to L1 but not L2. I do have a problem with our manager’s poor treatment of Nuttall and his disparaging comments. He will probably need to go on loan now to get his confidence back - and he only signed a new deal last season as well. Such mixed messages from the club. I wonder what Travis et al must think.

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Are you related to Dominic Samuel in some way?

Lol, i forgot about that donkey as well if  honest mate. Worst couple of strikers since Ashley ward. 

Just now, AAK said:

Lol, i forgot about that donkey as well if  honest mate. Worst couple of strikers since Ashley ward. 

:lol:

We are a decent League One side now. It’s going to be interesting watching us try to compete in the Championship. Just look at Wigan and Bolton. Even Wigan are better than us and pay-day-loan merchants Bolton just bought Oztumer!

31 minutes ago, AAK said:

One thing is for sure, if that bugger is guna be second string to graham, and graham gets injured, ill be watching darwen. Nuttall isn't worthy of even being a football league player, never mind championshio, hes absolute garbage. 

Well. That’s enough internet for me for the weekend.

One of the most myopic and utterly ridiculous things I have read on here. Quite the achievement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

McLean has gone to Stoke for 5m so I imagine we will see in the upcoming days if West Brom were the ones who were close to signing Maddison as surely they would be able to now.

I think it is WBA who want him

1 hour ago, Tormund said:

You would think we should see some movement this coming week. 

I feel we will make 1 or 2 signings this week. 

I hope one is Armstrong and the other Barrie McKay who fit the bill the type of winger we need

15 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

Why do we seem to be poorer then every single team in the English league... Like why you do this venkys .. Sigh

Please explain why? also why should be over pay for average players. Mowbray knows what type of players he wants. only 17 days of this transfer window to sign players here permanently

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Just so I understand what you are saying...

We should trust the loan system because 2 out of 30-plus loans out of the club have given us two players?

We should loan out our homegrown CB cover, our CM cover and our ST cover so that we can buy or loan replacements?

I’ve no problem in principle with Wharton going to L1 but not L2. I do have a problem with our manager’s poor treatment of Nuttall and his disparaging comments. He will probably need to go on loan now to get his confidence back - and he only signed a new deal last season as well. Such mixed messages from the club. I wonder what Travis et al must think.

I think we have to treat it on its individual merits. From the few players you mentioned, a few proved to be nowhere near good enough, O'Sullivan a prime example, and the likes of O'Connell and Morris were sold I think before we got to a level whereby they would have been able to be the assets they would be today. Maybe you could argue that we need to have more of a plan when loaning players out, but we cant write it off as a development tool altogether.

Regarding replacements, the simple answer is for 2 of them, they probably wont be needed, but even if they were, we dont want to keep the 3 young lads knocking around on the off chance of 20 minutes here and there. Tomlinson is in an area where we are well stocked, Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Davenport, Bennett and Travis are all ahead of him. Wharton isnt going to play over Mulgrew and Lenihan, and Downing and Williams provide experienced cover. Nuttall is a bit different in that hes in an area widely acknowledged that we need reinforcements, but surely you would agree that going into a Championship season with a strikeforce of an aging Graham, Nuttall and Samuel would be inadequate? 

I understand potential criticism about the club Wharton has gone to, but its a club hes comfortable with, that rates him enough to give him regular game time, maybe he wanted to go back or there were not potential interested suitors of note in League 1? Not sure.

Think you are harsh suggesting that Mowbray has been harsh or treat Nuttall poorly. Hes clearly been asked about the issue, and has answered it, based on the dialogue him and Nuttall have had before todays goal. Seems a consistent message as per Wharton, sign a long term deal as we see you as part of our future, but go out and get regular games under your belt first. Graham started the majority of games in the second half of the season so im not really sure you can point too many fingers there regarding sapping his confidence either. Travis was given bits of game time last season and is regularly praised, but again he wasnt going to stroll into the first 11 last season of a team winning regularly on a successful promotion push, regardless of under 23 form.

(Just typed out a reply then accidentally hid it so I dont know how to get it back!)

• Like 1

Could we just clarify exactly what we need.

Do we all agree 1x CB, 2x CF's and 2x Wingers are needed? Emphasis on height for the CB, pace for the two wingers and one of the Forwards, whilst the other has some height about him?

This sound about right?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I hope one is Armstrong and the other Barrie McKay who fit the bill the type of winger we need

Please explain why? also why should be over pay for average players. Mowbray knows what type of players he wants. only 17 days of this transfer window to sign players here permanently

The criteria was set circa the visit to India. Four perm signings and 2 loan.  Good enough signings to generate extra ST sales.  Cashing in on the positivity of last season; best time to buy players; concentrating on those out of contract; rather have permanent than loans; Do our business early; Time to bed in etc.

...Hoilett will sign a new contract in the next 48 hours...The new Rooney....

Who is Barrie McKay Chaddy?

I suggest Charles Charlie Charles.  Wand of a foot.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
Utter frustration.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's a new one :blink:

Just now, RovingRover said:

Do we all agree 1x CB, 2x CF's and 2x Wingers are needed? Emphasis on height for the CB, pace for the two wingers and one of the Forwards, whilst the other has some height about him?

This sound about right?

Yeah pretty much spot on although I would get rid of gladwin whittingham and Evans and bring another midfielder in personally

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Feels like groundhog day.

Mowbray didnt even do his usual "the markets difficult, agents are difficult, we are spinning different plates, we hope to sign some players soon bla bla bla" interview after the game. It was more, Nuttall needs game time so wed like to loan him out to continue his development but we might have no choice but to keep him.

Whilst I get that we want value for money, the market is what it is and the longer we leave it, the more that clubs will be able to cash in on our growing desperation. There will come a point where it is too late to say "why should we overpay for average players."

Im not too sure I swallow it anyway, I listed a number of players that our direct rivals have signed that would have improved us. Maybe we arent looking hard enough.

Just now, RovingRover said:

This sound about right?

That my friend is bang on.  It's obvious to most People.

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Notts Forest player ?

Where as that come from ? only signed for Forest last  July and on a  four year contract, doubt our transfer war chest  of a fiver and a couple of bags of Venky's chicken nuggets would get him

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Feels like groundhog day.

Mowbray didnt even do his usual "the markets difficult, agents are difficult, we are spinning different plates, we hope to sign some players soon bla bla bla" interview after the game. It was more, Nuttall needs game time so wed like to loan him out to continue his development but we might have no choice but to keep him.

Whilst I get that we want value for money, the market is what it is and the longer we leave it, the more that clubs will be able to cash in on our growing desperation. There will come a point where it is too late to say "why should we overpay for average players."

Im not too sure I swallow it anyway, I listed a number of players that our direct rivals have signed that would have improved us. Maybe we arent looking hard enough.

I’m just playing devils advocate here but what if all of Mowbray’s targets are still available and the reason we’ve not got them over the line yet is because we’re still negotiating. 

I mean, the only legit targets I have seen haven’t gone anywhere yet. All these teams signing players Bolton, Wigan etc have signed players that we probably didn’t want.

Not for one minute suggesting we have loads of money but I do think we have money to spend, just trying to do the best deals for the players he wants maybe? I don’t buy into ‘missing out on targets’ this summer. He wants Bauer, Chapman and Armstrong - we’ve known this all summer. And they’ve not gone anywhere! IF they do go somewhere else I’ll get worried but for now I’ll just sit tight and trust the process 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Going to Rangers for about £2m.

Just now, Ruaney said:

I’m just playing devils advocate here but what if all of Mowbray’s targets are still available and the reason we’ve not got them over the line yet is because we’re still negotiating. 

I mean, the only legit targets I have seen haven’t gone anywhere yet. All these teams signing players Bolton, Wigan etc have signed players that we probably didn’t want.

Not for one minute suggesting we have loads of money but I do think we have money to spend, just trying to do the best deals for the players he wants maybe? I don’t buy into ‘missing out on targets’ this summer. He wants Bauer, Chapman and Armstrong - we’ve known this all summer. And they’ve not gone anywhere! IF they do go somewhere else I’ll get worried but for now I’ll just sit tight and trust the process 

Exactly and well said

1 minute ago, Ruaney said:

Absolutely, im not in the pack with my pitchfork just yet demanding Mowbray resigns out of principle or any of that nonsense.

My post was more aimed at Chaddy asking why we should overpay for "average" players. I used them examples to show how teams around us have managed to sign players that IMO would have improved us, relatively cheaply. Of course if we sign players like Armstrong who are better, then that point becomes obsolete anyway.

Chaddys theory wouldnt marry up with your theory anyway as I presume Mowbray wouldnt have long term targets that he considered to be average!