BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

After the game Mowbray was speaking about Nuttall and said he would be an option for us if we don’t sign anyone else - hope he’s a little more confident than he sounds of bringing in new forwards 

"if we don't sign anyone else". Bloody hell!! That is frightening.

Is it time to panic yet?

Edited by 47er

There's only one way we are going if there's not at least 4 new players who will start.  Announcing new contracts on sky like we are making new signings worries me.  Teams are spending and improving squads and my worry is that we are in for the Jason Lowe"s of this world 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

There's only one way we are going if there's not at least 4 new players who will start.  Announcing new contracts on sky like we are making new signings worries me.  Teams are spending and improving squads and my worry is that we are in for the Jason Lowe"s of this world 

We missed out on our key target so 

6 hours ago, RovingRover said:

Three bold names who could be good loan options in terms of what we are looking for who haven't gone out from their clubs yet...

Reiss Nelson (Arsenal), Ademola Lookman (Everton) and Tammy Abraham (Chelsea) could all help solve our pace issues.

Tammy would be a massive step into solving our problems especially if he replicates his Bristol City form.

Would love to be in a position to sign players like that but a bit far fetched them mate 

I hope we sign someone we have never mentioned or been linked with and we are all pleasantly surprised

10 hours ago, Tom said:

After the game Mowbray was speaking about Nuttall and said he would be an option for us if we don’t sign anyone else - hope he’s a little more confident than he sounds of bringing in new forwards 

Sounds ominous.

Why can’t there be more balanced opinions? All of the communication from the manager suggested he was happy with the budget, knew exactly which players he wanted (based on ability and mentality) and that he wanted to sign them as early as possible.

Other than being unable to get them done early I see no change in that rhetoric. So why are there so many assuming ‘we’re skint’ or ‘we’ve no plan b’ etc? 

TM appears to refuse to settle for players unless they have the right character etc. So maybe, just maybe he doesn’t want Adulkan or Mcmanaman or Wildschut...

I’m getting worried too but surely we need to get to the end of the window before the hysteria kicks in? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe his first target for the striker position which I think is Armstrong in my opinion. Newcastle are tough to deal with Ashley there who is good business man and very good when it comes to getting what fees he wants. So lets say Mowbray is negotiating to get the fee down with some of the money based on appearances and goals. its can be a long negotiations

from the list you posted yes some names but we don't know what the wages, loans fees, agents fees involved so we cant judge or maybe doesn't want them  

Why would Mowbray be negotiating with Ashley? Surely this would be Waggott?

Stll think if Armstrong and Chapman come back, it will only be on loan.

So apparently we want a new centre half after loaning out Wharton according to the LT. I personally think we are actually covered there even with Wharton gone, but what is the point of loaning out a player which could have been useful in the squad and first team for it to then leave us short in the eyes of TM. Our budget clearly is low so why not save the money from buying a defender if we can just use some of our youth players. Doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Feels like groundhog day.

Mowbray didnt even do his usual "the markets difficult, agents are difficult, we are spinning different plates, we hope to sign some players soon bla bla bla" interview after the game. It was more, Nuttall needs game time so wed like to loan him out to continue his development but we might have no choice but to keep him.

Whilst I get that we want value for money, the market is what it is and the longer we leave it, the more that clubs will be able to cash in on our growing desperation. There will come a point where it is too late to say "why should we overpay for average players."

Im not too sure I swallow it anyway, I listed a number of players that our direct rivals have signed that would have improved us. Maybe we arent looking hard enough.

I think all parties take responsibility. 

I think Venkys will have made some funds available but we're talking similar or slightly more than last season. Last season those funds went a long way, in the Championship they are unlikely to deliver much.

I think Mowbray is too 'principled' in what he does. I think he often strives for perfection when perfection isn't possible. This applies to everything he does - his signings, formations, etc. I think we'll have had the option to bring in countless players who would probably be good enough for this division but Mowbray has very set ideas in his head about what he wants. That's admirable but not really pragmatic for a club in our situation, which is becoming increasing desperate and it seems inevitable that he will end up having to take people who he perhaps didn't want to start with. 

It's also hard not to think that Waggott's sole remit here is to stretch the pennies even further than previously. It seems almost everything he has done or said relates to keeping spending on a tight leash and further cuts. Increased ticket prices, closure of the Darwen End, wanting larger away followings, increased membership fees. If the main idea behind him being here is to keep a grip on finances and cut further I'm not optimistic of significant funds finding their way into the transfer pot.

Worrying times really. Needs addressing urgently.

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Why can’t there be more balanced opinions? All of the communication from the manager suggested he was happy with the budget, knew exactly which players he wanted (based on ability and mentality) and that he wanted to sign them as early as possible.

Other than being unable to get them done early I see no change in that rhetoric. So why are there so many assuming ‘we’re skint’ or ‘we’ve no plan b’ etc? 

TM appears to refuse to settle for players unless they have the right character etc. So maybe, just maybe he doesn’t want Adulkan or Mcmanaman or Wildschut...

I’m getting worried too but surely we need to get to the end of the window before the hysteria kicks in? 

There is no hysteria, lots of people are worried though just as you say you are.

Read your second sentence again. Quite right, that's what we were told. 

Read your second---"other than being unable to get them done early"------that's a pretty big "other than". I'm worried others will sign them instead of us, why wouldn't I be as time drags on? Note that I'm quite balanced about this and not all hysterical.

So why are we assuming we are skint or no plan b etc?  1) Because Venkys have form in Transfer Windows   2) What other explanation is there for not getting the targets identified and  listed in List A before we had even secured promotion and 3 )because TM seems to be putting more reliance on loans which he said he didn't want.

So we are both worried but you seem to want to explain your own worries away.

• Like 2

I think it's clear from Mowbrays comments after the lincoln game that theres nothing happening on the transfer front.

Imagine saying in May that we would start the new season weaker than we ended the previous, even the most negative of folk wouldnt have had that.

17 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Rovers being skint is a matter of public record.

The inflation in the transfer market too. Very average players are moving for a couple of million.

We’ve not spent £2m since the parachute payments ran out and last Summer’s spending spree was preceded by the Dann and Hanley departures the previous year.

We aren’t selling - we’ve no one to sell - so the maths says we aren’t buying either.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I think it's clear from Mowbrays comments after the lincoln game that theres nothing happening on the transfer front.

Imagine saying in May that we would start the new season weaker than we ended the previous, even the most negative of folk wouldnt have had that.

There will be several who don’t believe that we are. Certainly in terms of attacking options we are weaker.

We could be back to the Bowyer days of trying to get a goal and sitting back. Could be a very long season.

I'd rather we got quality long term loans than average permanent signings. We need to blood some of the u23's too.  It seems that run of the mill players are worth ridiculous amounts these days, so there's money to be made promoting the youth players.  

If Adam Armstrong scores 10-15 goals next seasons in championship , the guys transfer value will rocket so the £3m , although quite high for us now will be a sound investment ... If only Venkys knew that

Just now, AJW said:

If Adam Armstrong scores 10-15 goals next seasons in championship , the guys transfer value will rocket so the £3m , although quite high for us now will be a sound investment ... If only Venkys knew that

They're not interested, that should be obvious by now. Having said that I'm not convinced that Armstrong is the answer to our problems. He blew hot and cold last season at a lower level than the one we are at now. Most of the time he was played out wide, that's not his best position. If we're going to play with an out and out winger we need to sign one and not play someone out of position there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I'd rather we got quality long term loans than average permanent signings. We need to blood some of the u23's too.  It seems that run of the mill players are worth ridiculous amounts these days, so there's money to be made promoting the youth players.  

The problem with the quality players on loan is they are a very nice profitable side line for the big boys and a reason why they stockpile all the best youth players. A top quality Premier League youth player would have an astronomical loan fee, I feel the days of loaning out young lads to come back and get in the first team are thinning out, they simply are an extra revenue stream.

4 minutes ago, cesus said:

The problem with the quality players on loan is they are a very nice profitable side line for the big boys and a reason why they stockpile all the best youth players. A top quality Premier League youth player would have an astronomical loan fee, I feel the days of loaning out young lads to come back and get in the first team are thinning out, they simply are an extra revenue stream.

True but unfortunately, that's where we find ourselves these days. I'd rather be paying heftier wages for a younger class player than someone like Murphy who was here topping up his retirement fund.  I'm certain the squad will be added to and with our lack of money, I've always suspected it would be via loaning. Hopefully, Armstrong and Chapman are fond of the club and are digging there heels in for a return here. We need pace in the side and players who want to play here - they fit the bill.  We might be relying on some Mulgrew free kicks until the end of September though ?

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Clearly TM did have a list of targets (I was told he'd submitted those to the Board at the end of last season) and he subsequently conveyed the impression upon his return from India he was happy with the funds available.

It would appear some weeks later as I've been saying all along that with the benefit of hindsight that funding has been insufficient to land any of the players he wanted and the rhetoric from TM has in fact changed substantially from confidently predicting bringing in six signings at the start of the window etc to being "excited" about the sort of players who would be coming in (funnily enough near the ST early bird deadline), to being "hopeful" of bringing in players with experience to admitting that we may not be able to bring anyone in at all in preference to Nuttall.

You don't really think by TM would leave landing his targets until the last week or so of the window by choice and play Russian roulette by risking someone else nipping in first do you?

We would appear to be in a right old mess. The only saving grace as far as I can see it is that it is still hopefully not too late for the Manager Board and owners to completely re-evaluate and put some decent funding in place to bring in players of the calibre we need.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, AJW said:

and if he doesn't his price goes down....thats the gamble

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Agree Paul. 

57 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think there is bids in for players and its a waiting game. 

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They're not interested, that should be obvious by now. Having said that I'm not convinced that Armstrong is the answer to our problems. He blew hot and cold last season at a lower level than the one we are at now. Most of the time he was played out wide, that's not his best position. If we're going to play with an out and out winger we need to sign one and not play someone out of position there.

Mowbray likes playing wide forwards in his formation/system. Now this might not be your way but it is his way

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Clearly TM did have a list of targets (I was told he'd submitted those to the Board at the end of last season) and he subsequently conveyed the impression upon his return from India he was happy with the funds available.

It would appear some weeks later as I've been saying all along that with the benefit of hindsight that funding has been insufficient to land any of the players he wanted and the rhetoric from TM has in fact changed substantially from confidently predicting bringing in six signings at the start of the window etc to being "excited" about the sort of players who would be coming in (funnily enough near the ST early bird deadline), to being "hopeful" of bringing in players with experience to admitting that we may not be able to bring anyone in at all in preference to Nuttall.

You don't really think by TM would leave landing his targets until the last week or so of the window by choice and play Russian roulette by risking someone else nipping in first do you?

We would appear to be in a right old mess. The only saving grace as far as I can see it is that it is still hopefully not too late for the Manager Board and owners to completely re-evaluate and put some decent funding in place to bring in players of the calibre we need.

If they ask Venkys to re-evaluate the budget I think at best a decision will be made in time for the January transfer window, more likely they will fire anyone who asks for an increased budget having dealt with club business at the May/June summit meeting. We'll be off the agenda until next May unless something major happens e.g. we're looking like getting relegated which might push them into action sooner.

If Waggott is to be believed he now has decision making abilities on finances. I find that hard to believe. Maybe on how much is spent down at Ewood on maintenance etc. but not on how much we spend on transfer fees.

As we've had most summers it is an ever changing picture. Once again early optimism quickly gives way to silence and increasing concern.

Mowbray's messages in the press have changed significantly since the start of the summer. If the Telegraph had any idea they'd be pushing Mowbray on why this is the case. It seems either something has changed at the top or a major miscalculation has taken place on the transfer market and funds required.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

and if he doesn't his price goes down....thats the gamble

I don't think We're after Armstrong anyway but I find it hard to think of a scenario whereby his price would go down substantially.

Hold steady if he doesn't particularly  rip up any trees maybe.