BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, TruRover said:

I honestly would only pay 1.5 million max for Armstrong, 3 million could be better spent elsewhere, for instance we could sign chapman and Maddison for about that.

Armstrong, Chapman and Maddison for around £3 million.  Have you been advising venkys? ?

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Only said we could get maddison and chapman for 3 million, not Armstrong aswell? Maddison has a release clause of 2.5million which can be paid in instalments over 2 years and I imagine chapman would cost 500-700k.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

I'm not saying any have been leaked out. I was merely asking for opinions - you seem to throw out opinions like this on a daily basis but I got pulled on it when I ask for some ? :)

I do suggest different names who I feel Mowbray might want or be looking at. Plus who is might within our target

27 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It seems to be reasonably well accepted that the fee for Davenport was in the region of 500k and that we would probably have to find around 250-300k compensation for Rothwell who was out of contract.

800k for 2 players. Nothing like the 3m figure being quoted for Armstrong. Chaddy seems to think this is evidence of money to spend. I would say it's exactly the opposite and that  we have to shop at pound stretcher.

3 million for Armstrong. You would pay that over a couple of years anyway. You wouldnt pay it up front. 

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Wouldnt read much into that chaddy. No quotes or anything from Mowbray, just speculation on Armstrongs perceived availability.

And you really the LT would print something the club or Mowbray wouldnt want out there. Armstrong is a target..

Just now, RovingRover said:

Ipswich Town have apparently agreed a £750,000 fee with Bristol Rovers for Ellis Harrison according to the East Anglia press.

20180723_104928.jpg

Good fee for Ipswich. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

So the fees could have been anything - or nothing ?

No, because they are fees. Not the absence of fees. And city dont give away promising youngsters for free. Neither do Oxford, who were rejecting bids from us in Jan and would still have been entitled to compo.

The Davenport fee was reputed to be around 500k, and the Rothwell one somewhere around 300k. I think I saw 500k for that one somewhere too, not sure.

The club doesn't officially announce fees anymore, always undisclosed. But the ballpark figures are generally reported consistently, and stated by the LT. If you used undisclosed as meaning we might not have spent a fee you'd be assuming we got Dack and Samuel for free too. I think even Rhodes was officially undisclosed.

Edited by bluebruce

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Is it a good window though if you've missed out on all your preferred targets and ended up having to bring bodies in almost for the sake of it?

Guess we'll never know. The Club will claim We've brought in our number one targets all along no matter who turns up.

To be fair though it wouldn't take long with them out on the pitch to see if we were stronger or not. 

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It varies. If clubs know you have cash, are desperate, and they are under no pressure to sell or have multiple bidders, then prices can inflate.

If however, they've been asking too much and they know it, and the player wants to leave or they in fact are desperate for the cash themselves (sometimes to buy a player they've been holding back on too), prices can drop dramatically.

The end of the window is a time where prices tend to reshuffle both ways. Clubs don't want to risk an unhappy asset sitting around sulking, nor missing out on their own targets because they didn't free up enough funds. The dynamic fluctuates.

If the window is one big poker game, the end of it is where everyone has to play their real hand.

The other point is the payment structure. 3m cash can become 500k per year with any residual to be payed upon a transfer or contract extension. Looks good for selling club "we got our Price" and suits the buyer. Suspect that is how many deals later in the window happen (apart from top 4 in prem)

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

From what bit I've seen of Wharton he strikes me as a footballing centre half. I'd have preferred for him not to go to an " ale house  football  " type team. 

Perhaps TM wants him to toughen up a bit as well as gametime?

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Is it a good window though if you've missed out on all your preferred targets and ended up having to bring bodies in almost for the sake of it?

Guess we'll never know. The Club will claim We've brought in our number one targets all along no matter who turns up.

I genuinely trust TM. I think the reason we haven’t signed any more players is because he won’t panic and buy for the sake of it. 

Whether it’s list a, b, c or d...if we’ve got a better squad then I’ll be happy. 

Reading between the lines TM is still trying for Armstrong but a major hurdle is going to be wages after that it's looking like loans from prem clubs 

Imho if we finish above three other sides it'll be a success 

• Like 3

Taking the LT article at face value then it would seem that it is not the fee but the wages for Armstrong that are an issue.  

If the lad genuinely wanted to come and felt he could kick start his career with us, then you would assume he would take a drop and be here by now. 

If he wants increased wages etc, then he wouldn't fit the Mowbray mantra personality wise -So we would drop our interest.

With that logic, I conclude the deal is dead in the water.?

I think we need to forget Armstrong tbh... There is absolutely no way they are going to pay 3 million for him. If they aren't going to pay 750k for Harrison then they're not going be chucking 3 mill around. 

Just now, Neal said:

I think we need to forget Armstrong tbh... There is absolutely no way they are going to pay 3 million for him. If they aren't going to pay 750k for Harrison then they're not going be chucking 3 mill around. 

I doubt we were interested in Harrison. I still think Chapman and Armstrong are the deals Mowbray wants done 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

I think Mowbray is too 'principled' in what he does. I think he often strives for perfection when perfection isn't possible. This applies to everything he does - his signings, formations, etc. I think we'll have had the option to bring in countless players who would probably be good enough for this division but Mowbray has very set ideas in his head about what he wants. That's admirable but not really pragmatic for a club in our situation, which is becoming increasing desperate and it seems inevitable that he will end up having to take people who he perhaps didn't want to start with. 

That, 100%. How dare he wear a cap and have his shirt untucked...

Didnt Bradley Dack turned up to his first day of training with a sparkling red sequined backpack, date a "celebrity" and go out on the piss as much as possible... yet is still far and away our most prized asset?

C'mon Tony.

Not to start anything controversial with this next comment just simply a curiosity but what are the odds of Mowbray being first manager out of work this season (sack or walk)?

Edited by Angry_Pirate

15 minutes ago, Neal said:

I doubt we were in for Harrison. People seem to think when clubs buy a player for a certain fee and we don't buy him, we missed out or couldn't afford him. Mowbray isn't going to be interested in every player that moves.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Neal said:

This is my point. I’m not saying we have £3m but how on earth does Harrison going to Ipswich for £750k mean we HAVEN’T got any money!!? Hahaha

Just now, Neal said:

Didn't their manager say we were interested? Unless I'm mistaken. 

No, he said he hadn't heard anything from Blackburn, when it was rumoured that we were interested. Rich Sharpe said we were never interested so that was probably fake news all along

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

That we finish this window with a stronger squad than the one that finished last season.

I think we're still a few signings short of being a better squad having lost Payne, Armstrong and Chapman at the end of their loans.

Great to nail down contracts for Dack, Lenni etc.

But still desperately short on the wings and for strikers.

Just now, OJRovers said:

I think we're still a few signings short of being a better squad having lost Payne, Armstrong and Chapman at the end of their loans.

Great to nail down contracts for Dack, Lenni etc.

But still desperately short on the wings and for strikers.

I agree mate. 100%

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
52 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I genuinely trust TM. I think the reason we haven’t signed any more players is because he won’t panic and buy for the sake of it. 

Whether it’s list a, b, c or d...if we’ve got a better squad then I’ll be happy. 

To be fair, I think everyone trusts TM, just not Venky's.....

• Like 2