BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

29 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He looked a handy player but his fitness record is very poor.

Yeah. It's a shame about Hoban as he looked like a really able defender. Decent with the ball, good in the tackle and in the air. Sadly there are some athlete's bodies that have been injured that much they become like an old elastic band - one small stretch and they snap. He's one of them.

It's interesting to see who he lines up as centre half cover though. Mulgrew, Lenihan, Downing & Nyambe isn't enough if he continues with the 3 at the back he's been playing pre season.

I think some people are severely underestimating how short we are in some positions. Injuries to Mulgrew & Lenihan like they've had in their past and suddenly our defence is non-existent.  Likewise, injury to Conway, like in his past, and we will literally not have a single wide player with 1st team experience at the club.

I predicted that we'd need 7 incomings as a minimum at the end of last season. I still stand by that. I think even the 5 banded about is still shy of what we need to put forward a properly competitive team.

That said, survival is the aim of the game this season so we do only need to be better than 3 other teams.

• Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yeah. It's a shame about Hoban as he looked like a really able defender. Decent with the ball, good in the tackle and in the air. Sadly there are some athlete's bodies that have been injured that much they become like an old elastic band - one small stretch and they snap. He's one of them.

It's interesting to see who he lines up as centre half cover though. Mulgrew, Lenihan, Downing & Nyambe isn't enough if he continues with the 3 at the back he's been playing pre season.

I think some people are severely underestimating how short we are in some positions. Injuries to Mulgrew & Lenihan like they've had in their past and suddenly our defence is non-existent.  Likewise, injury to Conway, like in his past, and we will literally not have a single wide player with 1st team experience at the club.

I predicted that we'd need 7 incomings as a minimum at the end of last season. I still stand by that. I think even the 5 banded about is still shy of what we need to put forward a properly competitive team.

That said, survival is the aim of the game this season so we do only need to be better than 3 other teams.

Did you Know

Tommie Hoban's last professional game was for.....

Blackburn Rovers

vs. Bristol City (h) 17th April 2017

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I genuinely trust TM. I think the reason we haven’t signed any more players is because he won’t panic and buy for the sake of it. 

Whether it’s list a, b, c or d...if we’ve got a better squad then I’ll be happy. 

Why do you think that's the reason we haven't signed any more players?

I think you simply want to believe that. It doesn't make sense to me. We don't want him to panic, we just want him to sign the players he targetted and presumably believes are necessary.

To my mind its much more likely that the plans he drew up before last season ended have not been acted on because there isn't sufficient funds. Much more obvious explanation.

Evidence?---its the same reason that has ruined just about every transfer window since Venkys rolled up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hoban far too injury prone and not good enough. That performance v Barnsley still fresh in my mind.

Him and Gallagher, dont get the desire to bring players from our last failed Championship season. Need better.

IMO you can also add Chapman to these two ..300 minutes played over 14 matches for us ..two major injuries. 

Big risk to  sign 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

I think you simply want to believe that. It doesn't make sense to me. We don't want him to panic, we just want him to sign the players he targetted and presumably believes are necessary.

To my mind its much more likely that the plans he drew up before last season ended have not been acted on because there isn't sufficient funds. Much more obvious explanation.

Evidence?---its the same reason that has ruined just about every transfer window since Venkys rolled up. 

Mowbray's take on things. Intesting part for me is that it still seems that he is working with his first choice targets. 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16371151.tony-mowbray-on-rovers-search-for-attacking-recruits/?ref=mac

Just now, briansol said:

Mowbray's take on things. Intesting part for me is that it still seems that he is working with his first choice targets. 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16371151.tony-mowbray-on-rovers-search-for-attacking-recruits/?ref=mac

I think the only glimmer of hope at the minute is that last summer most of our signings came as surprises in the sense we weren't massively linked with any of them over a period of a few weeks where we were questioning whether a deal would be done. Most of them when announced were players we as fans weren't actively talking about as potential transfer targets. Praying to god our owners aren't arse raping us as usual and have actually given Mowbray a bit of something to work with. ? 

I don't imagine we have the funds required to get Armstrong for Newcastle's £3mil price tag... but as ever with Venky's - we never know where we stand.

But if we do, I think I'd prefer to see us go for someone like Jack Marriott, who has a release clause of £2.5mil and arguably wouldn't have the complications around an overly high salary too.

7 minutes ago, sweeneybrfc said:

I don't imagine we have the funds required to get Armstrong for Newcastle's £3mil price tag... but as ever with Venky's - we never know where we stand.

But if we do, I think I'd prefer to see us go for someone like Jack Marriott, who has a release clause of £2.5mil and arguably wouldn't have the complications around an overly high salary too.

It is Maddison who has the release clause, not Marriott. Marriott is valued at 6 mill.

48 minutes ago, 47er said:

This is why I’m confident mate. Because our manager is confident that he’ll get his first choices. How could he be confident if he didn’t have the funds?

Actually, based on words from the horses mouth, your theory isn’t very obvious at all. I’m not trying to offend people. I’m just pointing out that the manager (whom we all trust, seems happy and confident). So why can’t we judge this window once it closes?

7D581B60-E174-422D-AC45-BE9353C6FB7C.jpeg

Just now, Paul Mani said:

This is why I’m confident mate. Because our manager is confident that he’ll get his first choices. How could he be confident if he didn’t have the funds?

Actually, based on words from the horses mouth, your theory isn’t very obvious at all. I’m not trying to offend people. I’m just pointing out that the manager (whom we all trust, seems happy and confident). So why can’t we judge this window once it closes?

7D581B60-E174-422D-AC45-BE9353C6FB7C.jpeg

If a player has a release fee and the club aren't willing to let them go for under that fee then how long can it possibly take?

Armstrong is £3m. Maddison is £2.5m. Both managers and chairmen from each club have stated this several times. To me it doesn't seem plausible that we have been haggling for those deals for so long. That either suggests that we don't have the funds to buy them or they simply aren't targets.

Either way, if Newcastle truly are holding out for £3m I certainly wouldn't be paying it. Armstrong is a good player, Maddison is better....and cheaper.

56 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Minimum financial backing for Mowbray...so disappointing after last seasons efforts.

Venkys clearly want maximum return for little input,just one big problem...everything they have touched has turned to shyte.

Eh!?? The window hasn’t closed!? 

• Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

If a player has a release fee and the club aren't willing to let them go for under that fee then how long can it possibly take?

Armstrong is £3m. Maddison is £2.5m. Both managers and chairmen from each club have stated this several times. To me it doesn't seem plausible that we have been haggling for those deals for so long. That either suggests that we don't have the funds to buy them or they simply aren't targets.

Either way, if Newcastle truly are holding out for £3m I certainly wouldn't be paying it. Armstrong is a good player, Maddison is better....and cheaper.

Without going too deeply into things (or my relationship with footballers past and present) agreeing a deal in football can take an inordinate amount of time. Especially if the two clubs are some way away from the magical number and the player is pushing the move...

Whattttttt!? The window closes next month guys!!! Hahahah 

Of equal or even more importance is the countdown to Ipswich which is when the season starts. That is when we need everyone in place and ready to go. The transfer deadline is an artificial creation milked by the media for ratings and viewing figures. We need to be ready for the big kick off or once again we'll be starting a season on the back foot. Fortunately this time we have a better manager and appear to be much fitter but its quite a long running theme here that we kick off a season short of where we need to be. 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Of equal or even more importance is the countdown to Ipswich which is when the season starts. That is when we need everyone in place and ready to go. The transfer deadline is an artificial creation milked by the media for ratings and viewing figures. We need to be ready for the big kick off or once again we'll be starting a season on the back foot. Fortunately this time we have a better manager and appear to be much fitter but its quite a long running theme here that we kick off a season short of where we need to be. 

I’ve read the quotes from Hurst and he’s as worried as anyone that their squad is light in numbers.

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulg Williams

Smallwood Davenport 

Bennett Dack Rothwell

Graham

This team can win at Ipswich imo.

• Like 4

I’ve read the quotes from Hurst and he’s as worried as anyone that their squad is light in numbers.

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulg Williams

Smallwood Davenport 

Bennett Dack Rothwell

Graham

This team can win at Ipswich imo.

Such a slow team with neither winger offering width or an attacking threat. Can get away with Bennett there at times providing youve pace on the other side. Rothwell should be back up for Dack. And dont see Davenport starting over Evans.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Such a slow team with neither winger offering width or an attacking threat. Can get away with Bennett there at times providing youve pace on the other side. Rothwell should be back up for Dack. And dont see Davenport starting over Evans.

Yeah I agree it’s a slow team but a team capable of beating Ipswich nevertheless....

fyi - I’m not saying that team is good enough for the championship. I just provided it as it has been mentioned that we had to be ready for the first game.

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

There is no evidence that we have ever been after Maddison. It was a theory based on statements from the Chairman. On Friday it was revealed that the club in question was relegated from PL and most likely WBA.

Regarding Armstrong a major stumbling block will be wages, he was given a 4 year deal in 2016 and it would take some serious compromise to get him into our wage structure, that is if we can afford 3 millions.