BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I hope Venkys look at Armstrong has a good investment which he is. his value is only going to go up imo. 

I agree. I think his value will go up if we can get him for a couple of million and he starts to perform in the Championship.

Sadly our owners don't tend to go to that sort of outlay no matter what the likely/potential return on it. They haven't gone past the £1 million mark for 5 years and that was when we were getting parachute payments.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It also means we'll be learning how to fit together the new players in vital league matches. If it's such a smart idea why don't other teams do it ?

I didn't say it was smart. I just think that's how they operate. Cheep cheep

I'd like Armstrong but only if the fee and his wages are reasonable.

2-3 million would be reasonable in today's market but wouldn't be bringing him in if his wages are anywhere close to 20k a week and he expected that here.

Did well for us last season but in his previous loan spells in the championship he struggled and was inconsistent. Things didn't work out at all last season at Bolton for him and at Barnsley he had some good games but was inconsistent. 

Maybe Mowbray is the man to get the best out of him but if we don't have much to spend then I'd favour a loan move for Armstrong over a permanent deal

The thing is, we know for a fact that he compliments our only other 2 competent attacking players, Dack and Graham, very well. I know he struggled at Barnsley and Bolton in this league but within our team we know he fits in and thats a big advantage.

I dont like players that arent naturally wingers playing wide usually, but I think hes more effective there, in that hes very clever at running in the space that Graham vacates when he comes deep to get the ball. 

His goals at MK Dons last season are perfect examples of them 2 in particular linking well.

If we had Armstrong wide, with that tendency to come in a bit, and a more natural winger on the other side, then as a front 4 that would have a lovely balance to it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Armstrong might be able to play in all 11 positions but how many is he good in ? I'd suggest playing up front alongside a target man is where you'd get the most out of him but are we going to play like that ?

I like up front or Wide. Has pace and as @roversfan99 pointed his goals against MK Dons sum up how we should play him in most goals. 

47 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I agree. I think his value will go up if we can get him for a couple of million and he starts to perform in the Championship.

Sadly our owners don't tend to go to that sort of outlay no matter what the likely/potential return on it. They haven't gone past the £1 million mark for 5 years and that was when we were getting parachute payments.

I understand that point but I feel they like Mowbray and will back him if it the right deal. 

I don't get this panic. There are plenty of teams who are still waiting to do major business, we're not alone. We've got our key players to sign new deals and brought in a couple of players and I'm sure that by the end of the window we will have made our moves. 

Judge the window at the end, no point being worried now. It would have been great to have everything wrapped up by now and to have a squad together, but if we have to bring players in on deadline day we will still have a season ahead of us. I'd rather make the right move than the first move. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ossyian said:

What a Kent!

Get behind the boys. 

All we need is to be is patient, keep the faith in Mowbray. All about the personalities and getting the right types in early for Austria pre season. Plenty of time like 3 weeks, all about trusting Mowbray you know. YAWN

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like up front or Wide. Has pace and as @roversfan99 pointed his goals against MK Dons sum up how we should play him in most goals. 

I understand that point but I feel they like Mowbray and will back him if it the right deal. 

Have you learnt nothing under these Indians? Since when did they cash wise last back any manager?

Anyone else find it a bit odd how all 3 of Ipswich's signings were supposedly targets of ours? Chalobah, Harrison and Edwards all tipped to come here at various stages. Almost as though us and Ipswich are shopping from the same list....

I would have thought we'll be in similar territory in terms of revenues and finances but even they have gone out and spent a couple of million.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Anyone else find it a bit odd how all 3 of Ipswich's signings were supposedly targets of ours? Chalobah, Harrison and Edwards all tipped to come here at various stages. Almost as though us and Ipswich are shopping from the same list....

I would have thought we'll be in similar territory in terms of revenues and finances but even they have gone out and spent a couple of million.

Hurst will have seen Edwards and Harrison last season and was obviously impressed with them, like I was.

49 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Our owners, sadly, have no vision.  That comes through in their attitude to their own businesses mainly producing and selling chicken.  When they took us over, they had the opportunity to really make inroads into that market in the UK using us as a vehicle, they could have kicked KFC into the long grass if done correctly.

However, they looked over the precipice and looked back again as they only saw the outlay and not the rewards.  This is often the result when the money/ company has been inherited.  Unfortunately we have been and appear to be expendable in this process.

What I can't understand is why they don't get rid of us even though it will cost because all they will get long term is aggro.  I presume it is in their psychology as in the main Indians, certainly those born into a certain caste, can be and are quite arrogant.

• Like 3

Just now, Eddie said:

I don't get this panic. There are plenty of teams who are still waiting to do major business, we're not alone. We've got our key players to sign new deals and brought in a couple of players and I'm sure that by the end of the window we will have made our moves. 

Judge the window at the end, no point being worried now. It would have been great to have everything wrapped up by now and to have a squad together, but if we have to bring players in on deadline day we will still have a season ahead of us. I'd rather make the right move than the first move. 

No one has said that they wont be judging at the end of the window. People have made the valid points below and its hardly as if people are panicking by saying these things:

Players that would have improved us have to rival clubs.

Venkys are notorious for turning off the tap and stunting our chances of progression. So thats a valid concern.

That ideally players would be here to bed in during pre-season, especially considering Mowbray stating as such at the beginning, and considering our slow starts in each of the previous 2 years.

• Like 3

Just now, Eddie said:

I agree Eddie

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Ipswich doing some decent business. Harrison and Edwards two of the best players I saw last season in their positions. 

Guess we see whether they can step up a division.

Edwards was very good. Dont remember Harrison at all

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Have you learnt nothing under these Indians? Since when did they cash wise last back any manager?

No need for that. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

A few on twitter saying we have bid for Liam Lyndsay at Barnsley. Nixon says no truth to it 

Suspiciously soon after that website named him as one of three defenders we should try for. Just that article snowballing I bet

4 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Get behind the boys. 

All we need is to be is patient, keep the faith in Mowbray. All about the personalities and getting the right types in early for Austria pre season. Plenty of time like 3 weeks, all about trusting Mowbray you know. YAWN

This is what people have done for the last few years though.

We’ve got all Summer.

We’ve got all July.

There’s no rush.

The World Cup is on.

The window doesn’t shut until the end of August.

Nobody else is signing anyone.

We need to trust the manager - he is getting the right deals and avoiding paying over the odds.

The season hasn’t started yet.

The season’s only a week old.

There’s still time yet.

Then when we do finally make some last minute signings - the killer...

They need time to gel - they’ve not had a proper pre-season.

And when we don’t...

He’s keeping his powder dry.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Has anyone actually asked Rich Sharpe if Rovers have an interest in Maddison? He is pretty quick to deny any Rovers' interest on linked players in the media (Harrison, Eisa, Edwards, etc), but haven't seen him deny the Maddison rumour? 

Yes I did and no reply. Same with the Peterborough chairman, Alan Nixon and sports Pete. Complete silence. 

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

They sold a centre half to Bristol City for 5 million.Also speculation that Waghorn will be off for another reported 5 million.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Davenport was very good again on Sunday according to few fans who went

Did those fans also tell you we played 3 at the back as you were certain it was a back 4 on Sunday ;)

Edited by Ricky
  • Like 1