BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Now now, play fair!

Anyone would be delighted to have a player of Foden's calibre here, but it's a tad unrealistic at the very least!!

One poster above disagrees and I am sure few more would too if we signed him. Not in the position we need etc ,etc 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Now that would be a signing!!

Ahh mate. Don’t do this to us!! There’s prob about 10 lads just googled “10 reasons why you should hate Phil Foden” just so they have something to complain about! Hahahah 

Weirdo.

I'd love for the Foden rumour to be true. You can see talk of Leeds being linked on the internet but no talk of Rovers except for BDS' mate. I wouldn't mind signing him just to beat Leeds to him. He's definitely a marquee signing.

My only worry about it would be we have other areas we have to strengthen before and should spend money on that but it would be an incredibly hard offer to turn down to sign Foden regardless of the mentioned.

And before BDS and Paul Mani's Crusaders come knocking I'm not complaining I just want a striker or two

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we got Evans off the books, it would comfortably cover Fodens wages or another good loan for that matter. 

Creeping into the territory that I was concerned about last week e.g. we're talking about getting shut of people to enable incomings.

Dangerous and concerning path to be on.

We all know that Evans is likely to be top earner at the club and I think all of us would agree he shouldn't be top earner here.

There's probably more of a debate to be had as to his abilities and whether we should make an offer to keep him beyond next summer.

But at the time of writing he's here under contract and there's no indication of anyone being interested in buying him. As such all our efforts should be on adding to the squad and strengthening, not getting rid of an experienced Championship player in order to facilitate a loan move for a teenager from City.

• Backroom

Players we've signed on silly wages like Evans tend to be paid off as opposed to being sold, meaning we save little or no money. Technically they're off the wage budget but from a cashflow perspective nothing has changed - you'd be just as well off keeping the player and just increasing the wage budget. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Evans was very good in the last month of the season, Mowbray described him as our best player in that last month so id be shocked if he doesnt start the Ipswich game.

He was good in the last month alright, it was the best I have seen him play. Why didn't he do it all season? He is a full international who has played most of his career in the Championship, I expected more from him in League 1. I would prefer to see Travis or Davenport given the shot this season. 

• Moderation Lead

One poster above disagrees and I am sure few more would too if we signed him. Not in the position we need etc ,etc 

He actually said he's be surprised it was him because we have a ton of midfielders, not that he didn't want him.

If we could get a midfielder of that calibre (based on how highly he's rated alone), I'm sure we would make a place in the team for him tbh.

22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16372541.mowbray-gives-update-on-rovers-contract-negotiations/?ref=mac

“We have some big players in the final year of their contract and for varying reasons we are not in a position to do anything on those deals because of the situation of those deals and the current cost.

In other words, Mulgrew and Evans earn big money, so no offer on the table. 

We signed up the rest of the squad on new deals because they're cheap...

I think Mulgrew and Evans are specific cases rather than indicative we won't pay anyone that kind of money again or that the other deals are cheap (I imagine Dack got some degree of parity). Given their age, injury records, AND the high wages, it wouldnt be sensible giving them lengthy contracts on big money. I think most of us would let Evans go next year anyway. Think it's on reason we went for Davenport. Mulgrew is best watched until January to see if we should commit again, and at his age in this league you probably want to take it a year at a time. If his performances do dip, he will probably accept a cheaper deal.

6 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Patrick Roberts would be nice but I can't see that happening either. When people were suggesting Nmecha, was that taken from somewhere or was it a presumption? I don't know much about him

Nmecha was an educated guess based on Mowbray waiting for a young attacking City player that was part of their US tour. No name was mentioned, but the field was narrow. I don't think anybody entertained the notion that it could be Foden though..

Just now, JHRover said:

Creeping into the territory that I was concerned about last week e.g. we're talking about getting shut of people to enable incomings.

Dangerous and concerning path to be on.

We all know that Evans is likely to be top earner at the club and I think all of us would agree he shouldn't be top earner here.

There's probably more of a debate to be had as to his abilities and whether we should make an offer to keep him beyond next summer.

But at the time of writing he's here under contract and there's no indication of anyone being interested in buying him. As such all our efforts should be on adding to the squad and strengthening, not getting rid of an experienced Championship player in order to facilitate a loan move for a teenager from City.

What? There has been no indication that we need to sell to buy, absolutely none. Evans is probably our top earner and he just doesn't do enough for me. I would like to See Travis or Davenport start with Whittingham as the experienced 3rd option. I just don't think Evans does enough. 

Just now, briansol said:

Nmecha was an educated guess based on Mowbray waiting for a young attacking City player that was part of their US tour. No name was mentioned, but the field was narrow. I don't think anybody entertained the notion that it could be Foden though..

Thanks. Do we know if Nmecha is any good?

Just now, K-Hod said:

He actually said he's be surprised it was him because we have a ton of midfielders, not that he didn't want him.

If we could get a midfielder of that calibre (based on how highly he's rated alone), I'm sure we would make a place in the team for him tbh.

The quote 

"I also don't think he is who we need right now, need natural wide players and a quality striker"

Sounds like he doesn't want him to me :p 

Is Foden more central as in Smallwood/ Evans or attacking? 

What? There has been no indication that we need to sell to buy, absolutely none. Evans is probably our top earner and he just doesn't do enough for me. I would like to See Travis or Davenport start with Whittingham as the experienced 3rd option. I just don't think Evans does enough. 

I thought you were suggesting that we should get rid of Evans now in order to free up wages to enable us to bring in a teenager on loan.

I think getting rid of first team permanently contracted players to free up cash for loan signings is a slippery slope to be on.

Central midfield requires more than 3 players over a season, especially when neither Travis nor Davenport have any experience of playing there regularly and Whittingham missed most of last season and has attracted plenty of criticism himself for his performances.

Like with everything else if/when he goes the likelihood is we'll get an inferior replacement.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not even sure on this. Dishing out new contracts is of course important and a positive step. Particularly tying Dack and Lenihan down to new deals. But does it require money to be available to do it? Our revenues will be considerably higher now we are in the Championship (Waggot estimated last week they could be almost double those of last season), so for the owners to sanction new deals and increased wages whilst important I'm not sure it really requires them to immediately dip into their piggy banks to fund. It is more the case of increasing wages now we are receiving increased revenues.

They've shown in the past that they don't really mind cranking up the wage bill and bringing in loans and frees on higher wages than others will pay, the problem comes when they have to dip into their own funds to bankroll cash purchases.

I think you are spot on here.

I don't think Madam D will be signing any cheques while Venky's are still under ASM. The earliest this will be lifted is 1st August but more likely September or October.

Has any money been spent at all this summer? - Maybe Oxford have been paid but City may be happy to wait a while. As you say, new contracts don't require cash up front.

Mowbray has stated deals are close and he understands why they are not being completed. I'm convinced it is cash flow from Pune. Trying to sort out settlements with other clubs with no cash up front is obviously going to be difficult - maybe impossible!

Just now, JHRover said:

I thought you were suggesting that we should get rid of Evans now in order to free up wages to enable us to bring in a teenager on loan.

I think getting rid of first team permanently contracted players to free up cash for loan signings is a slippery slope to be on.

Central midfield requires more than 3 players over a season, especially when neither Travis nor Davenport have any experience of playing there regularly and Whittingham missed most of last season and has attracted plenty of criticism himself for his performances.

Like with everything else if/when he goes the likelihood is we'll get an inferior replacement.

I said if we could get someone to take Evans it would be good to free up the wages for whatever. 

I wouldn't be so skeptical about loans either, clubs have been promoted from the Championship on the backs of good loan players. 

And Whittingham does?

Evans isn't pulling up trees for me, but it's an odd shout to drop him for Whittingham.

Just now, islander200 said:

Looks exceptional in his YouTube vids but most the clips are against other youth teams.

Clearly talented but would be a gamble with little or none first team experience 

Not really much of a gamble if he is signed on loan, apart from taking the place of another loan, who would also be a gamble :) 

Just now, bluebruce said:

And Whittingham does?

Evans isn't pulling up trees for me, but it's an odd shout to drop him for Whittingham.

I never said drop him for Whittingham. Read my posts. 

Smallwood will start, if Evans left that would leave ;Travis, Davenport and Whittingham for the 2nd midfield spot. Bennett is also an option. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Moderation Lead

The quote 

"I also don't think he is who we need right now, need natural wide players and a quality striker"

Sounds like he doesn't want him to me :p 

Is Foden more central as in Smallwood/ Evans or attacking? 

To be fair, he's right, central midfield isn't as much of a priority as wide players and strikers. But I'm sure we'd all make an exception for anyone that was available that would improve the team.

Evans tends to play well when the rest of the team around him is playing like tigers hence his form towards the end of last season, the little spell he had under Bowyer early doors and when he's surrounded by better players in the International team.

Rest of the time odd game aside he's a complete passenger who hides we've seen enough of him now to cast judgement and then there's his glass like physical stuff. If the team have a good season he might well shine especially if he's after a new contract or to catch someones eye so hopefully he'll justify his top wages for once and we'll reap some benefits.

They'd be bonkers to throw a new big money contract his way though we'll be saddled again unable to get shut because no one will ever pay big money for him.

• Like 1

I never said drop him for Whittingham. Read my posts. 

Smallwood will start, if Evans left that would leave ;Travis, Davenport and Whittingham for the 2nd midfield spot. Bennett is also an option. 

I read your post, cheers. You never mentioned Smallwood in it. I inferred you meant that anyway though since you said experienced 3rd option. Putting him ahead of Evans in the pecking order is odd though, he definitely contributed less last year. We aren't going to be selling Evans on his wage with his injury record, so moot point.

I bet Whittingham is on a good wedge. Rather shift him.

I just think we have positions of higher priority atm, we are well stocked in central midfield, however we are lacking elsewhere. Would love to see foden come in, he's a very exciting player but only after we sort out deals for wide men and a striker. I also don't think we have any interest/hope of singing him.

Corry Evans. I think it shows you exactly what sort of character/player he is when his only good games for the club were against the likes of Walsall & Peterbrough in the third division whilst we're charging for promotion.

Awful player, and no wonder you never see him linked away. Salford City wouldn't even take him on.

Just now, bluebruce said:

I read your post, cheers. You never mentioned Smallwood in it. I inferred you meant that anyway though since you said experienced 3rd option. Putting him ahead of Evans in the pecking order is odd though, he definitely contributed less last year. We aren't going to be selling Evans on his wage with his injury record, so moot point.

I bet Whittingham is on a good wedge. Rather shift him.

I thought it went without saying that the King will have one of the midfield slots :) 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel