BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Can anything be disused without throwing that line out? We all know what happened, but I don't see how it relates to the bizzare suggestion that Mowbray  turned down a bigger transfer budget 

Maybe he didn't maybe he just asked for less than they thought he would and highlighted retaining the key players first and foremost so they were pleasantly surprised. Maybe this so called bigger budget was offered on the basis he was willing to sell a few then use the alleged re-investment.

Either way it's quite a canny move by him A) Keep expectation levels low all around, B ) After speaking to others he'll have known damn well he was unlikely to get any promised money from sales anyway so he's playing it safe on either count.

Time will tell if he was right but if the begging bowl comes out in Jan they should honour it.

• Like 2

Like I said TM wants to take the slow slow approach and “ Build” and wants to stay in the project ...

Win or Bust is not for him and players who wear caps backwards!

Managers are in it for themselves in the end just like some players..

The Rothwells might be clean cut looking wise but they are for the long term and big gambles and this team is basically the same that went down.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 47er said:

YES! Went to that game, went absolutely ballistic when we won with virtually the last kick of the game. Wonderful, clinical goal from Santa Cruz but everyone who thinks Dunn wasn't a terrific player should look at that first goal.

Left foot as well. Sign of things to come from Robbo on his debut...

14 minutes ago, neophox said:

Fletcher cost Boro £6,5m When arrived last year. Talented striker. 

Reading around and he seems to have rapid pace and directness,  similar to Marcus Rashford. I would be ecstatic with Fletcher...as he cost 6.5 million I can imagine it's on loan.

14 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Like I said TM wants to take the slow slow approach and “ Build” and wants to stay in the project ...

The Rothwells might be clean cut looking wise but they are for the long term and big gambles and this team is basically the same that went down.....

A slight contradiction there Unleaded. All managers are in it for themselves but win or bust is not for him?

Reading into this I would say that the gaffer is looking after the best interests of the club. I would rather build this year, develop a squad and then build on that the year after. Only 3 clubs will get promoted next year, assuming it's the relegated clubs, we still have Leeds, Villa,  etc still in the league, realistically we cannot compete financially with them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 47er said:

Uncalled for? You're being a bit soft to react to my mild retort. If we have a budget of 3-5 million (big difference there by the way) we are not doing much with it are we?

Too much complacency, too much "in Tony we trust", too much "it'll alright on the night" style of thing.

All I know is that, with just days to go to the start of the season, our team is weaker than we were in Div 1.

Loss of momentum created last season. Such a shame.

Yeah you misrepresented opinion knowingly. Uncalled for in my book. I've tried to keep a polite profile here, doesn't seem to work so well so maybe I've been too soft.

Totally agree we are weaker than Div 1 and this transfer window hasn't gone to plan. Mowbray asked to be judged at the end of the window and I will.  He says he is confident the deals wil be done by then, if they're not the window has been a major fail. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, unleaded said:

This is different from taking a smaller Budget than what was offered me thinks

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, unleaded said:

But you didn't say that.

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I read the quotes where he spoke about building the club sensibly, I just don't recall the part where he told the owners to put their money back in their pocket. Can you please show us the quote where Mowbray said he stopped the owners from spending more money.

No idea where that is.  Just recall reading it.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Ashley Fletcher would be a very poor signing. His goal record is shocking. Hope we are looking at much better than that. Saw him a couple of times for Sunderland and he isnt nearly good enough.

Yeah but Sunderland has been sruggling

I keep hearing talk of the 'slow' approach of gradually building a squad. Yet the manager has said that half of his remaining business will be loan signings.

Several of those the manager has signed weren't good enough for League One, never mind the Championship - Gladwin, Caddis, Hart - and now need to be disposed of and replaced.

He said yesterday that Evans and Mulgrew will not be getting new contracts as things stand as we can't afford them.

So lets assume we bring in 4 more, 2 of which are loans. Then next summer (assuming we manage to survive) we need to replace the loans, Evans, Mulgrew and whoever else is out of contract. Its a never ending rebuilding job.

Like building on quicksand. How about we sign some decent players good enough for the Championship on long term deals, keep them and each transfer window add a few who are better, rather than leaving it to the last minute and relying on the loan market to fill up the squad until next year.

Before anyone has a go at me, the manager has said this himself and yet it doesn't seem to be happening.

• Like 3

I’m in the camp of Mowbray has earned our trust until he does something to lose it. I like his ‘brick-by-brick’ approach and hope the days of massive overspending on dollopers and has-beens is over. I’m sure he’s working day and night to bring players in but the fact is we are not first choice in this division and may well have to wait till the last week when players/agents unrealistic expectations hit the wall of reality.

I’m also not sure how many points having “momentum” (ie fewer fans moaning) wins us in July.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Alan Myers suggesting we're interested in Ashley Fletcher from Middlesbrough, was at Sunderland last season.

Alan Myers has told the same. 

Highly rated. He would bring pace to the attack. Never settled anyone. 

My biggest question would be wages and what he on there?

38 minutes ago, neophox said:

Unleaded: Has Mowbray told you this? Do you think we will try and get Ollie McBurnie?

McBurnie will Swansea number 1 striker this season imo

Just now, JHRover said:

I keep hearing talk of the 'slow' approach of gradually building a squad. Yet the manager has said that half of his remaining business will be loan signings.

Several of those the manager has signed weren't good enough for League One, never mind the Championship - Gladwin, Caddis, Hart - and now need to be disposed of and replaced.

He said yesterday that Evans and Mulgrew will not be getting new contracts as things stand as we can't afford them.

So lets assume we bring in 4 more, 2 of which are loans. Then next summer (assuming we manage to survive) we need to replace the loans, Evans, Mulgrew and whoever else is out of contract. Its a never ending rebuilding job.

Like building on quicksand. How about we sign some decent players good enough for the Championship on long term deals, keep them and each transfer window add a few who are better, rather than leaving it to the last minute and relying on the loan market to fill up the squad until next year.

Before anyone has a go at me, the manager has said this himself and yet it doesn't seem to be happening.

Like Davenport?