BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Anybody know how about him?

Screenshot_20180726-171057_Twitter.jpg

He was on Jamie Vardys non league academy on the tele. I remember watching it out of curiosity thinking it was a bollocks PR stunt but the lad did sign for Stevenage and I’d see him crop up every once in a while on Sky Sports News with a goal. I was quite happy for him he came across a decent lad.

All I remember about his game was he closed down and ran around an awful lot. I must admit I never thought I’d see him in a Rovers shirt but happy to see how he gets on. Look at Vardy or Lambert. Lads out there who can score at higher levels than they’ve been given a chance. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Goals in November guaranteed our promotion?

Okay. Maybe not November alone, but his performances over his time at Rovers did gain us promotion.
If you break them down. He got the sole winning goal against Scunthorpe United (3 points), he got a goal and an assist against Oxford United (3 points), the winning third goal against Peterborough United (3 points) and an additional assist (1 point) for us against Scunthorpe United.

Without those 10 points, we would have finished behind Shrewsbury United and had to rely on the play offs. People are happy to slag off Marcus for his time at Rovers, but we should remember that he contributed to the cause.

• Like 2

Just now, RovingRover said:

Okay. Maybe not November alone, but his performances over his time at Rovers did gain us promotion.
If you break them down. He got the sole winning goal against Scunthorpe United (3 points), he got a goal and an assist against Oxford United (3 points), the winning third goal against Peterborough United (3 points) and an additional assist (1 point) for us against Scunthorpe United.

Without those 10 points, we would have finished behind Shrewsbury United and had to rely on the play offs. People are happy to slag off Marcus for his time at Rovers, but we should remember that he contributed to the cause.

I couldn’t agree more. He never set the world alight but he did a job and without his contribution we might not have gone up. 

• Like 1

Just now, RovingRover said:

Nobody is questioning he did'nt contribute .... That was in league 1, just not good enough for the champ

Antonsson grew on me after his debut vs MK Dons where I honestly thought it was the worst debut I have ever seen... including Garry Flitcrofts ?.

He was much better as a LW/LF and had a knack of getting in good areas (much like MGP in his first few years). It was a shame when he got injured vs Scunthorpe around Xmas, however maybe that directly lead to us perusing Armstrong who did equal if not more for our promotion IMO.

Doesn't change the fact that I was dreading the prospect of Marcus in the Championship, no way we could carry both him and Conway.

Jeez do we need a proper winger.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

Newton has come up the hard way, without a doubt. But at 27 he is old in football terms to make such a leap and there have to be question marks over whether he can improve.  The Championship is a big jump for a player who has had only one season in League 2.

Vardy was 24 when he became a League footballer with Fleetwood (again old in football terms) but he was very much a one-off, and Leicester deserve credit for giving him a chance when other clubs hesitated. 

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Anybody know how about him?

Screenshot_20180726-171057_Twitter.jpg

This is an old link from a couple of months back resurfacing which may be a worry. You asked me about him before as he used to play for Tamworth where I now live. Hopefully nothing in it. 

Just now, JayDee said:

This is an old link from a couple of months back resurfacing which may be a worry. You asked me about him before as he used to play for Tamworth where I now live. Hopefully nothing in it. 

Appeared on hitc.com originally end of May also linking QPR, Charlton and Burton, Fleetwood and Bradford with him

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/30/por-blackburn-and-qpr-among-sides-tracking-hit-man-newton/

Writer of the article is @SportsPeteO on twitter , think his name has cropped up on here before regarding transfers , 

23 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Fair point.  Glad he hasn't come back though!

22 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Fair point.  Glad he hasn't come back though!

How many singing his praises now would be jumping up and down if he came back ? He's gone back to Malmo because he wasn't fast enough or strong enough for this level of football. Leeds had seen enough. No other British club was interested obviously.  You can get away with not being strong up front  if you're quick and you can get away with not being quick if you're strong but you need one of those attributes at least.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How many singing his praises now would be jumping up and down if he came back ? He's gone back to Malmo because he wasn't fast enough or strong enough for this level of football. No other British club was interested obviously.  You can get away with not being strong up front  if you're quick and you can get away with not being quick if you're strong but you need one of those attributes at least.

Hes gone to Malmo to play Champions League football instead of Championship football thats a difference.

2 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

Well lets get him back then ..i didnt realise how much the team relied on him last season ..

Fuck me this thread is turning into The Life of Brian. 

"Ok apart from his goals and MOM appearances and winning us loads of points what has Antonnson ever done for us"

Edited by ossyian
  • Like 3

If we  signed him for a fee you be pretty disappointed at wasting the money.

He had a purple,patch where he scored a few late in 2017 but before and after that spell he was largely ineffective in a successful team.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1