BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 minute ago, AJW said:

Not sure we're good enough to play with natural wingers , I don't think we can play the way we played last year in this division , there were times last year when we almost played with 4 attacking players , if we do that this year we will get mullered 

I disagree. Whilst Palmer is a welcome addition if he's better than what we've got, arguably we now have 3 number 10's in Dack, Palmer (if he signs) and Rothwell and elsewhere our needs are still exactly the same as they were before.. I think we need the ability to get behind the opposition on either flank so at least one if not two wide man still needed for me.

Plus 2 strikers still the main priority and ideally a big nasty centre back.

• Like 5

So has Palmer been confirmed ?. 

I'm not doubting the lads ability and I'm sure he could do a job for us but I echo the sentiment of others. We have dack and rothwell whose natural position is there. We need to start strengthening the areas we are desperately short in starting with goals and width. Players who are comfortable running at the full back and whipping crosses in for Danny head

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

So has Palmer been confirmed ?. 

I'm not doubting the lads ability and I'm sure he could do a job for us but I echo the sentiment of others. We have dack and rothwell whose natural position is there. We need to start strengthening the areas we are desperately short in starting with goals and width. Players who are comfortable running at the full back and whipping crosses in for Danny head

Paperwork should be completed Monday..according to sky sports news and the Let

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I disagree. Whilst Palmer is a welcome addition if he's better than what we've got, arguably we now have 3 number 10's in Dack, Palmer (if he signs) and Rothwell and elsewhere our needs are still exactly the same as they were before.. I think we need the ability to get behind the opposition on either flank so at least one if not two wide man still needed for me.

Plus 2 strikers still the main priority and ideally a big nasty centre back.

Horses for courses I dare say , some games we will need an greater attacking threat , and having wingers who get behind teams and stretch defences will be essential others we will have to play with more responsibility maybe even 4 narrow across midfield and  Dack or Palmer  dropping in behind a loan striker 

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

No.  Just that they have for the last couple of seasons. Just like the striker we were linked with - who cost £6.5 mil - they must have a pretty strong squad to be able to let them go.  Can you imagine us loaning out a £6.5 mil striker?

The market is crazy, but teams have shown that you can do well with a limited budget in the championship. 

If we are to do well we need to add a little pace and definitely another striker.

It's obvious Mowbray doesn't fancy Samuel as a centre forward when playing just one up top, he played Dack as a false 9 v Liverpool and played him wide of the three behind Graham v Everton. Imo  he had a good game the other night against Everton. 

But we need a striker as good if not better than Graham going into the season.Im a Danny Graham fan but I don't see him being fit all season 

• Like 4

Just now, Mattyblue said:

That sounds a bit Roy Keane-esque for my liking...

A bit different to Roy Keane tho in fairness it's been no secret all summer that Palmer has been available to loan so I don't think rival teams will all of a sudden swoop in for Palmer on the back of Rovers reportedly agreeing a deal.

I'm sure plenty of champ teams showed an interest but with both sky and the let running with the story I'm confident the deal is done 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Aye, not sure who the equivalent of Ferguson would be in this situation...

As Neil said the other night the obvious one to.be worried about would be Lampard at Derby but with the signings they brought in there isn't really a place for him.And if Derby and Lampard wanted him it would have been confirmed already

Just now, islander200 said:

As Neil said the other night the obvious one to.be worried about would be Lampard at Derby but with the signings they brought in there isn't really a place for him.And if Derby and Lampard wanted him it would have been confirmed already

And their lies the difference

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Kasey Palmers natural position is as a number 10 chaddy. I saw him quite a few times for Huddersfield, usually flanked by wingers such as Van La Parra and Kachunga, obviously they were on TV a lot as they were battling for promotion, and he scored from that position at Ewood I remember. I am not a fan of playing players out of positions when it can be helped, and I hope that Palmer is not seen as the winger we have been rumoured to be after, as he isnt one. I can see him being effective from say the left cutting in and linking with Dack, but only if whoevers on the other side gives us more width to compensate, a direct winger. He can play wide but it is not his natural position, he is not going to be as effective there, its not a difficult concept to understand. And I never said he isnt a good signing so no need for that comment.

Take on board your point Paul about the fluidity within them 3 attacking positions, but if you put 3 players together who all want to come inside for example, they can get into each others space and it can be counter-productive. Natural width and pace gives you that alternative if there is no space in the middle.#

You both used the phrase "can play," Mulgrew and Lenihan can play central midfield, Bennett can play at right back, Williams can play at centre back, at a push Dack could play wide, but youve seen that you dont get the best out of any of those players in them positions.

Disagree on there not being any natural wingers any more, albeit maybe they are not quite as common, I still feel width is just as crucial now as ever. We had a winger last season in Chapman. In the Championship, there is Albert Admoah, Yanic Wildshut, Hakeeb Adelakun, Florian Jozefzoon, Harry Wilson, Tom Ince, James McLean, Adama Traore, Jacques Maghoma, Kamil Grosicki, Jarrod Bowen, Gwoin Edwards, Adam Reach, Jon Taylor, Gareth McLeary, Tom Barkhuizen, Luciano Narsingh, Nathan Dyer, Oliver Burke, Matty Phillips and Calum McManaman. All natural wingers who like to run at full backs and stretch the play so they do exist still.

To again clarify so im not misquoted, im very happy with the standard of Kasey Palmer and excited to see what he could bring to our team, as I know he has ability, and in comparison to some of the dross weve been linked with recently, notably Ashley Fletcher, signing a player like Palmer is a breath of fresh air, albeit on a short term deal. That said, I would be very disappointed if this was instead of a natural winger.

Spot on. Great post 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Kasey Palmers natural position is as a number 10 chaddy. I saw him quite a few times for Huddersfield, usually flanked by wingers such as Van La Parra and Kachunga, obviously they were on TV a lot as they were battling for promotion, and he scored from that position at Ewood I remember. I am not a fan of playing players out of positions when it can be helped, and I hope that Palmer is not seen as the winger we have been rumoured to be after, as he isnt one. I can see him being effective from say the left cutting in and linking with Dack, but only if whoevers on the other side gives us more width to compensate, a direct winger. He can play wide but it is not his natural position, he is not going to be as effective there, its not a difficult concept to understand. And I never said he isnt a good signing so no need for that comment.

Take on board your point Paul about the fluidity within them 3 attacking positions, but if you put 3 players together who all want to come inside for example, they can get into each others space and it can be counter-productive. Natural width and pace gives you that alternative if there is no space in the middle.#

You both used the phrase "can play," Mulgrew and Lenihan can play central midfield, Bennett can play at right back, Williams can play at centre back, at a push Dack could play wide, but youve seen that you dont get the best out of any of those players in them positions.

Disagree on there not being any natural wingers any more, albeit maybe they are not quite as common, I still feel width is just as crucial now as ever. We had a winger last season in Chapman. In the Championship, there is Albert Admoah, Yanic Wildshut, Hakeeb Adelakun, Florian Jozefzoon, Harry Wilson, Tom Ince, James McLean, Adama Traore, Jacques Maghoma, Kamil Grosicki, Jarrod Bowen, Gwoin Edwards, Adam Reach, Jon Taylor, Gareth McLeary, Tom Barkhuizen, Luciano Narsingh, Nathan Dyer, Oliver Burke, Matty Phillips and Calum McManaman. All natural wingers who like to run at full backs and stretch the play so they do exist still.

To again clarify so im not misquoted, im very happy with the standard of Kasey Palmer and excited to see what he could bring to our team, as I know he has ability, and in comparison to some of the dross weve been linked with recently, notably Ashley Fletcher, signing a player like Palmer is a breath of fresh air, albeit on a short term deal. That said, I would be very disappointed if this was instead of a natural winger.

However if we play three at the back we don't necessarily need wingers - but similar to England three number 10 type players to play behind a lone forward.

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

However if we play three at the back we don't necessarily need wingers - but similar to England three number 10 type players to play behind a lone forward.

Im personally very hopeful that we stick to the 4-2-3-1 formation that has seen us well throughout last season. Our attempts at playing 3 at the back with the current personnel have been unsuccessful and I would hope that Mowbray sticks with the system that has proven itself to suit our current team.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Im personally very hopeful that we stick to the 4-2-3-1 formation that has seen us well throughout last season. Our attempts at playing 3 at the back with the current personnel have been unsuccessful and I would hope that Mowbray sticks with the system that has proven itself to suit our current team.

You may be disappointed then mate Mowbray signed bell for a reason and has played bennett at full back for a reason. I can see a back three of williams, mulgrew and lenihan, with bell and either nyambe or bennett as wing backs in some games. 

Just now, AAK said:

You may be disappointed then mate Mowbray signed bell for a reason and has played bennett at full back for a reason. I can see a back three of williams, mulgrew and lenihan, with bell and either nyambe or bennett as wing backs in some games. 

I can imagine I wont be the only frustrated fan if he reverts from a successful formation to one that in the main, had more questions than answers last season.

Last night was the first time Mowbray could play what he considered to be his best team, and he played 4-2-3-1, so im hoping he has learnt from his mistakes.

Bell is a left back, he was playing there at Fleetwood. Equally capable as a wing back granted but hardly proof that hes the catalyst for reverting to 3 at the back.

He played Bennett at full back last season because Nyambe was injured, and at full back, not wing back so thats a strange example.

Nyambe is never a wing back in a million years. Hes suited to full back as hes far better defensively than he is going forward.

Mulgrew would be the middle of the 3, therefore the least able to step out. When we played it the other season he was on the left which gave him license to move out knowing there was a defender in the middle as cover.

Lenihan is not a ball playing defender by any means and neither is Williams so im not sure they are suited to that formation either.

Otherwise, we should play 3 at the back...

I don't think Bell's attacking strength alone warrants us playing 3 at the back. I would even suggest that when Bell is solely responsible for wide attacks on the left he struggles.  He would be more effective as the left back in a 4, taking advantage of overlaps and 2 on 1s in combination with a left sided midfielder. 

32 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

How did that work out for England ? And that was with 3 so called mega stars playing that role.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Lenihan's original position was as a central midfielder. We adapted him to CH. Mulgrew has played quite a lot of his career in central midfield I think? At one point it looked like his best position for us and many fans wanted another CH so we could push him upfield. I may be misremembering, but I thought I'd read before that Williams started out as a centre half too.

Sometimes a player is actually suited to a different position, sometimes to everyone's surprise. I remember Emerton being better at RB when we moved him there, though we had bought him as a RW.

Not to say you're wrong on this lad, and I'm a round pegs for round holes guy in the main, but sometimes things aren't that simple.