BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

18 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

With respect Gregg you aren't the first to ignore the short-trousered elephant in the room that was Coyle when talking about our relegation. He was the ONLY reason we went down. We now have a fitter, better, more motivated squad. A squad that doesn't waddle on to the pitch chewing a doughnut each (mainly because Caddis has already had them). 

Our 1st eleven is no worse than the likes of PNE, Millwall and Sheff Utd of last season. In fact I'd take our squad above all theirs (unless any have broken the bank this summer which I doubt). They were all top 10 in the end. With a fair wind with decisions and injuries I'd expect us to be anywhere from 18th to 8th. I think we have too much quality to go down and manager pragmatic enough to get results. 

Coyle was the main reason but not the only blueboy. The squad simply wasn't good enough over the course of 46 games and that's why we got relegated.

Our squad is better now, our manager is better now but it certainly doesn't mean we can't fall into a relegation battle. Better teams than this have been sent down before I can assure you of that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TruRover said:

As the season approaches I actually think our squad is looking promising. This would be my starting 11 going into the Ipswich game.

Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Williams

Smallwood - Evans

Samuel - Dack - Palmer

Graham

Bottom 6 team in my opinion and injury or loss of form to key players away from being relegation fodder.

Deeply disappointed with our activity so far. I just hope they'll surprise us with a quality permanent signing in the next 72 hours.

What I do not want to see is panic loan signings in the final hours before the window closes. 

• Like 3

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Coyle was the main reason but not the only blueboy. The squad simply wasn't good enough over the course of 46 games and that's why we got relegated.

Our squad is better now, our manager is better now but it certainly doesn't mean we can't fall into a relegation battle. Better teams than this have been sent down before I can assure you of that.

Coyle was 85-90% to blame. We lost our opening game 4-1 to Norwich and even then it was apparent the players were under prepared. How many games did we lose 3-2 under him? Compare our centre midfield options then to now. We also didn't have a Dack. 

There was a noticeable improvement in the time Mowbray managed us in the Championship. Last season was different as League 1 required a different approach. 

We could have course get involved in a relegation battle, but we could just as easily be involved outside the play offs. 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

A tiny bit perhaps? 

There’s a bloody load of remaining bitterness and anger at decisions taken 2011-2017 that have little to no direct impact on what we can do this summer yet it’s brought to this and other threads on a daily basis. 

Just look up - what on earth does Kean and Scott Dann have to do with the interview with a new player ?

That was a joke-obviously, I would have thought!

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/would-bringing-kasey-palmer-back-1747154.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

Just reading this. Mentions a tendency to run down blind alleys and hold on to the ball too much but its par for the course for the type of player he is so that doesnt concern me too much. He tries things and is exciting.

The more worrying aspect is positionally. Says there was a struggle to fit him in the team with Vydra taking his favoured 10 role, the article also dispells the myth that hes equally capable wide. I just hope we can find a way to get both him and Dack in the starting 11 together. 

Oxford fans said the same about Payne and they were right. Palmer sounds like another who is more comfortable in the middle, but I'd also imagine he's a lot stronger than Payne. 

It's a strange one really, Mowbray has said Palmer will provide cover/competition for Dack but he's also said he can 'travel' with the ball from deep (central midfield). Pretty much what he said about Rothwell too. We seem to be signing a lot of central players. I fear three at the back based on the signings so far (Bell included) and the lack of genuine wide men, and the fact we also want Bauer/Beevers. It would be certainly be easier to play Dack and Palmer together behind a striker if we have wing-backs. Then again he may just be want competition in every position and that the likes of Rothwell and Palmer will play wide. One thing is for certain is that he likes his wide men to work hard and track back. The opposite of Chapman. 

Be interesting to see how we set up at Ipswich. I think the squad is shaping up nicely apart from up front. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamieUK said:

That no 7 is crying out for CHAPMAN...

What's the first choice XI as it stands?

--------------------------Raya

Bennettt----Mulgrew----Lenihan-----Bell

-------------Smallwood-----Rothwell

---------Samuel ------Dack-------Palmer

---------------------------Graham

Good enough subs to come in : Williams, Rothwell, Evans, Davenport?, Travis?

We look very light up front and wide mid and right back. Also no decent keeper backup for Raya. Also not convinced by CB reserves.

Mid table championship team, but very vulnerable to injury.

19 minutes ago, its_rovertime said:

A work colleague has just returned from a holiday in Portugal and told me he met a rovers fan out there who knows Joe Garner and said that he's very unsettled at Ipswich and would love to return to the North West, preferably back to Rovers.

As always with these things take it with a large pinch of salt, no indication that we are even interested, personally not sure it would be the answer to our striker wishes either but just thought I'd pass it on for potential debate!

This surfaces every summer, sod him and his chicken dance the Preston ponce leave him there.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

What's the first choice XI as it stands?

--------------------------Raya

Bennettt----Mulgrew----Lenihan-----Bell

-------------Smallwood-----Rothwell

---------Samuel ------Dack-------Palmer

---------------------------Graham

Good enough subs to come in : Williams, Rothwell, Evans, Davenport?, Travis?

We look very light up front and wide mid and right back. Also no decent keeper backup for Raya. Also not convinced by CB reserves.

Mid table championship team, but very vulnerable to injury.

Have you heard of this Nyambe fella??

Not that I want to make excuses for Coyle but one problem was that our significant transfer business was left until the 11th hour when Williams, Gallagher, Emnes and Mulgrew arrived. By the time they were here and up to speed we were playing catch up.

Now where does that seem familiar.

So yes he was an appalling appointment who should never have been anywhere near this club but it seems getting our important business done at the last minute isn't a one-off.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
28 minutes ago, its_rovertime said:

A work colleague has just returned from a holiday in Portugal and told me he met a rovers fan out there who knows Joe Garner and said that he's very unsettled at Ipswich and would love to return to the North West, preferably back to Rovers.

As always with these things take it with a large pinch of salt, no indication that we are even interested, personally not sure it would be the answer to our striker wishes either but just thought I'd pass it on for potential debate!

The last few times I've been out on the ale in Clitheroe, I've seen him, so that would fit.

Given his past endeavours, he can go and sit on a telephone wire for me.....

• Like 3

Coyle was a monumentally huge reason for relegation everything about his appointment and the way he went about things screamed it from the off. However the owners, Senior and TM himself could and should have strengthened the squad more when they had chance.

Anyway that's done now we've come back in better shape on and off the park largely thanks to this gaffer but we are still a bit too light in different ways than before at the min.

Edited by tomphil

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Teams go down for all sorts of reasons. The main one is the manager. Of course we can get dragged into a relegation battle but I don't think we will based on the reasons I gave. Mowbray isn't the messiah or even  a naughty boy, but he is cautious and pragmatic enough to get results. Coyle just put them on the pitch. 

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Coyle was a monumentally huge reason for relegation everything about his appointment and they way he went about things screamed it from the off. However the owners, Senior and TM himself could and should have strengthened the squad more when they had chance.

Anyway that's done now we've come back in better shape on and off the park largely thanks to this gaffer but we are still a bit too light in different ways than before at the min.

Mowbray wasnt here during the Transfer window. 

Mowbray was appointed 2 days after Man Utd FA cup lost at home

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

A bit of a weak link for me, maybe I'm being unfair?

I think he has improved, but next season will be the real test of that. He will be starting anyway, that's for sure...

When you think about it Bennett really is a great lad to have around. I wouldn't mind if I saw his name on the team sheet at RB, CM or RW 

Sign 3 or 4 at the 11th hour that you might have signed earlier and you've saved a months wages, that's the V way.

At least this summer there isn't the dread of who might depart for money at the last min to pay the summer running costs....

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Teams go down for all sorts of reasons. The main one is the manager. Of course we can get dragged into a relegation battle but I don't think we will based on the reasons I gave. Mowbray isn't the messiah or even  a naughty boy, but he is cautious and pragmatic enough to get results. Coyle just put them on the pitch. 

Thats Dack 

1 hour ago, unsall said:

What do you mean snidely,obviously a top Rovers fan but very negative and if you ask him he’ll probably agree he is,cautious might be a better description ?

I don't find him negative in the slightest. Just because he doesn't think everything in the garden is rosy doesn't detract in the slightest from his loyalty to Rovers and his football knowledge and nous. One of the very best contributors on here, I always find his contributions thought-provoking and honest.

Prefer him vastly to those dicks who simply want a reaction. 

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Not that I want to make excuses for Coyle but one problem was that our significant transfer business was left until the 11th hour when Williams, Gallagher, Emnes and Mulgrew arrived. By the time they were here and up to speed we were playing catch up.

Now where does that seem familiar.

So yes he was an appalling appointment who should never have been anywhere near this club but it seems getting our important business done at the last minute isn't a one-off.

Is when they come to the club relevant beyond them missing a game or two at the start due to rustiness? I doubt it. There is no equivelanc between then and now.  Coyle could have had them all signed up on the first day of the window and he would still have been a shit manager with no idea of how to win games. 

• Like 1