BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

When he first played, his first touch was a throw in. Game by Game, he improved and I think you have summed up his contribution perfectly. The team missed him massively when he was injured and I look forward to watching him this season.

I don't think we missed him as much as we might have done but that meant having to play Bennett there. Two good right backs there.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We were saying "had exceptional seasons" you have now downgraded to "had success" :) Not sure any of those 3 were exceptional, but I will give them to you because I am in a good mood. Still, far more teenagers struggle than succeed, so lets see with Woodburn. 

You don't think they had exceptional seasons? All three got young player of the year/player of the year in their respected seasons....do you even know what you are talking about?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Rich Sharpe tweeting that a story on Armstrong coming shortly.

Davenport likely to be out with injury for Ipswich 

Davenport thing is disappointing, but the indications are that he would be starting on the bench anyway I guess. Most likely Smallwood & Evans, with Travis an outside bet. 

Hopefully it's minor, and he'll get his chance to start against Carlisle, see what he can do from there. 

4 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

I can't help but think this Armstrong story is going to be a negative one. Hope I am surprised :)

I wouldn't be heartbroken, unless we're getting a striker with some size and strength for him to play off. If we can only have one we need a Graham  mk2 not a Matt Derbyshire mk2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You don't think they had exceptional seasons? All three got young player of the year/player of the year in their respected seasons....do you even know what you are talking about?

Both Palmer and Hughes wikis have no mention of them winning player or young player of the year awards.

When did they win these awards? 

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't be heartbroken, unless we're getting a striker with some size and strength for him to play off. If we can only have one we need a Graham  mk2 not a Matt Derbyshire mk2.

Most of me agrees with you. I think I've just gotten to the stage that this Armstrong saga has dragged on for so long (if it is him we're after) that it would be nice to see him on a permanent deal just to kind of put my mind at rest. If that makes sense? Almost like you can accept what Tony has been saying about the competitive budget and we're not all going crazy with our 'loans only' policy we presume is occurring.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Both Palmer and Hughes wikis have no mention of them winning player or young player of the year awards.

Will Hughes definitely won young player of the year. Think it was 2014 if I am not mistaken

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hughes won it in 2014.

Palmer wasn't within the three I mentioned. Keep up BDS. Zaha and Lookman the other 2. Although he did have an exceptional season - helping to guide Huddersfield to promotion

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Hughes won it in 2014.

Palmer wasn't within the three I mentioned. Keep up BDS. Zaha and Lookman the other 2.

No, he got on team of the year. Not what you said. 

Lookman won apprentice of the year, again not what you claimed

I can keep up very well. You just aren't being accurate in your statements  

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, he got on team of the year. Not what you said. 

Lookman won apprentice of the year, again not what you claimed

I can keep up very well. You just aren't being accurate in your statements  

Will Hughes won the FL Young player of the year in 2014. Keep looking.

Lookman won the Championship young player of the year award in his year, also known as apprentice award, but for players 18 or under - still player of the year though.

Keep looking through wiki BDS. You'll find all you need soon pal.

• Like 1

Sharpe can't surely be peddling the same story as last week... Wages/fee too high etc... Most likely, there's an offer on the table and it's up to them. Although the way TM was speaking about Palmer seemed to suggest we're going into this season without Armstrong. 

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

With respect Gregg you aren't the first to ignore the short-trousered elephant in the room that was Coyle when talking about our relegation. He was the ONLY reason we went down. We now have a fitter, better, more motivated squad. A squad that doesn't waddle on to the pitch chewing a doughnut each (mainly because Caddis has already had them). 

Our 1st eleven is no worse than the likes of PNE, Millwall and Sheff Utd of last season. In fact I'd take our squad above all theirs (unless any have broken the bank this summer which I doubt). They were all top 10 in the end. With a fair wind with decisions and injuries I'd expect us to be anywhere from 18th to 8th. I think we have too much quality to go down and manager pragmatic enough to get results. 

I hope your right and tinker Tony implements the right system and right players to play it because this time round mistakes like last year will get punished

• Like 2

Doubt he would need a story to say it is not happening - could we finally be getting our man on a perm?

Would still need another striker, one more in the Graham mold.

Edited by JacknOry

It would be poor form from the club to peddle the whole agent benno thing if there wasn't something coming with Armstrong, given the whole thing is a reference to Bennett being on the case of trying to get him back here.

Given the Telegraph's form for being non-committal I would expect Sharpe's 'update' to be something along the lines of Armstrong is a target but his fee/wages are an issue so instead there is a loan offer with Newcastle and we're waiting to see whether they accept it. Just my guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Good post.

But the budget isn’t presented like £5m for fees and £5m on wages. It’s broken down but effectively the budget is is one number that is agreed and encompasses player contracts, transfer fees, Wages and associated costs.

The one theme that I’m trying to get across is that you are always trying to get the best for the cash you have. Never at anytime has TM said he has big money fees. He said he was happy with the budget. I don’t think you can say he’s lied there. 

In terms of being able to afford forwards, it’s surely more about value for money. If you can get the right price for the right calibre of player then you buy. If you want a higher level of player for less money you loan. Managers pick their battles.

Whether players are ‘good value’ or not is a matter for the manager and the club. Either way, the window isnt yet shut so who’s to say we won’t have spent a couple of million?

I enjoy reading you posts Mani - often written from a perspective of being more involved within the game than I.  

The buying the best value - be it loans or permanent - I get.  I get the all encompassing budget and picking battles etc.  However, surely any formulated plan/approach to procuring players with this budget, would start with the weakest area.  By TM's admission, this has been top end of the pitch.  The first 2 signings (which we have spent a chunk of our budget on) haven't addressed the weakness as we had players in those positions -not great but not the biggest weakness. The widely talked about keeper at the beginning of the close  season - not a priority.  The CB target that has rumbled on - not  a priority (I think we need one but not essential - or wasn't until we loaned out Wharton!).  

So I would have thought we would have addressed the forward options before looking at any of these others.  Spent what was needed/we could afford (even if loans) then move on to the 'lesser' positions.  The longer the window goes on, the less we look like we have any kind of plan.  Especially given he  had a list of targets drawn up at the end of last season that were just awaiting budget clearance from Venkys.

I understand the window has not closed and hope I will be pleasantly surprised - (along with the circa 1000 extra  ST holders that Waggot believes our exciting  signings will attract).

But I just can't escape the feeling that somewhere over the last couple of months, this window/budget/list of targets/plan has gone tits up.

Perhaps, as others have mentioned, we needed to offload a few and that hasn't happened?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

You can sign free agents anytime can't you ?

Like who at that time? 

3 hours ago, Neal said:

So... If local reporter in direct contact with the club is saying we're not in for Nmecha... Does that make Alan Prixon Billy bullshit? 

Sharpe did say that He had a different name but Nixon could have a different name/target

12 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I enjoy reading you posts Mani - often written from a perspective of being more involved within the game than I.  

The buying the best value - be it loans or permanent - I get.  I get the all encompassing budget and picking battles etc.  However, surely any formulated plan/approach to procuring players with this budget, would start with the weakest area.  By TM's admission, this has been top end of the pitch.  The first 2 signings (which we have spent a chunk of our budget on) haven't addressed the weakness as we had players in those positions -not great but not the biggest weakness. The widely talked about keeper at the beginning of the close  season - not a priority.  The CB target that has rumbled on - not  a priority (I think we need one but not essential - or wasn't until we loaned out Wharton!).  

So I would have thought we would have addressed the forward options before looking at any of these others.  Spent what was needed/we could afford (even if loans) then move on to the 'lesser' positions.  The longer the window goes on, the less we look like we have any kind of plan.  Especially given he  had a list of targets drawn up at the end of last season that were just awaiting budget clearance from Venkys.

I understand the window has not closed and hope I will be pleasantly surprised - (along with the circa 1000 extra  ST holders that Waggot believes our exciting  signings will attract).

But I just can't escape the feeling that somewhere over the last couple of months, this window/budget/list of targets/plan has gone tits up.

Perhaps, as others have mentioned, we needed to offload a few and that hasn't happened?

Been saying it all along.

Feeney and Ward out of contract, Davenport and Rothwell in on contract.

Wharton out on loan for the year, Palmer in on loan for the year.

I suspect there's very little if any room on the payroll and numbers authorised for more incomings, particularly permanent deals, until departures are secured first. Wouldn't surprise me to see Gladwin, Hart or Caddis paid off soon to make way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffRover said:

Has Duane Holmes gone anywhere yet? Sky linked us with him a while back.

Would give us pace out wide. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Ben Woodburn is closing in on a Sheffield United loan deal. Would have been an excellent option for us in the attacking third. Plays left wing or up front - just what we need.

Have to assume Mowbray doesn't fancy him as much as Klopp or we'd have surely gone in for him.

Never played in championship so its a big risk. Will he cope with Physical side of the Championship? 

1 hour ago, markhayhurst said:

Adam Armstrong very much at Newcastle today and posting training stories on instagram 

Interesting. I dont think hes coming back. Shame. 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tony Mowbray admits former loanees Harry Chapman and Adam Armstrong are among the club’s targets - but not at the top of their list.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16389050.they-are-in-the-mix-rovers-boss-on-chapman-and-armstrong/

Hmmm not sure it sounds like anything major is close and Chapman and Armstrong will only be considered if all else fails.