BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Find Mowbrays interview today to be very brave.

Firstly, id love Armstrong in particular back, as ive said, permanently. Chapman im worried about his injuries so for me it would have to be a cheap deal but id be excited if he came back, albeit less so than Armstrong.

Its brave in that hes said judge him at the end of the window. If our signings arent better than Armstrong and Chapman then hes put his head on the block saying what hes said, so fair play and I look forward to him acting on his word. 

I think it can be dangerous to get too obsessed with Championship experience. Experience in general, we have Mulgrew, Graham, Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Williams, Conway and Bennett so plenty. I dont get how the City kid fills this demand either. And his first 2 signings have very little combined Championship experience.

Ive had this debate before with @chaddyrovers, it has to be worthwhile experience. In his attempted defence of Kent and Gallagher, he used Championship experience, even though in the main it is negative experience, Gallagher scoring very few goals and Kent having one average loan spell and one horrendous one. Dack has no Championship experience but that wouldnt stop most teams in the league taking him.

I get that Armstrong has not performed at Championship level before but I feel like it is still somewhat of a safe choice in that we know he has pace, directness and goals which we need and works perfectly in tandem with Dack and Graham. But there is of course a semblance of risk which I acknowledge.

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Eh!!!!!???????

“We’re working away but would rather sign signing B rather than signing D. And although we can get signing D we will try and get signing B. And that’s why things can get held up at times.”

That says to me that both Arma and Chapman are ‘d’ signings who are available to sign now but that Mowbray wants to persist with his ‘B’ signing (after missing out on the ‘A’ who went for £7m). How on earth do you see that as ‘pretty darned depressing’? ??‍♂️

Agree,why the doom and gloom if he’s trying to bring in better than Armstrong and Chapman.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Find Mowbrays interview today to be very brave.

Firstly, id love Armstrong in particular back, as ive said, permanently. Chapman im worried about his injuries so for me it would have to be a cheap deal but id be excited if he came back, albeit less so than Armstrong.

Its brave in that hes said judge him at the end of the window. If our signings arent better than Armstrong and Chapman then hes put his head on the block saying what hes said, so fair play and I look forward to him acting on his word. 

I think it can be dangerous to get too obsessed with Championship experience. Experience in general, we have Mulgrew, Graham, Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Williams, Conway and Bennett so plenty. I dont get how the City kid fills this demand either. And his first 2 signings have very little combined Championship experience.

Ive had this debate before with @chaddyrovers, it has to be worthwhile experience. In his attempted defence of Kent and Gallagher, he used Championship experience, even though in the main it is negative experience, Gallagher scoring very few goals and Kent having one average loan spell and one horrendous one. Dack has no Championship experience but that wouldnt stop most teams in the league taking him.

I get that Armstrong has not performed at Championship level before but I feel like it is still somewhat of a safe choice in that we know he has pace, directness and goals which we need and works perfectly in tandem with Dack and Graham. But there is of course a semblance of risk which I acknowledge.

End of the day he’s delivered last year. He deserves the benefit of any doubt. We know the hand he’s been given by venkys.

• Backroom

The problem is that if Mowbray was referring to Chapman and Armstrong as "D" signings, then it's going to make it a bit underwhelming if we do end up signing them as the thought will now be that we could have gotten better but for whatever reason didn't. It might also make it harder to sign either Chapman or Armstrong if they don't think Mowbray rates them and know they'd be coming in as "last resort" signings. Not sure it's necessary to put stuff like this out in public, unless Mowbray is very confident we will get better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

The problem is that if Mowbray was referring to Chapman and Armstrong as "D" signings, then it's going to make it a bit underwhelming if we do end up signing them as the thought will now be that we could have gotten better but for whatever reason didn't. It might also make it harder to sign either Chapman or Armstrong if they don't think Mowbray rates them and know they'd be coming in as "last resort" signings. Not sure it's necessary to put stuff like this out in public, unless Mowbray is very confident we will get better.

If we signed Armstrong and Chapman I’d suggest most Rovers fans would be happy.

So them being our D options means that either way we should end up being very happy by Aug 9th

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

If we signed Armstrong and Chapman I’d suggest most Rovers fans would be happy.

So them being our D options means that either way we should end up being very happy by Aug 9th

The problem is Chapman won't start games. Mowbray has never liked him so has never played him. He said if he came back again he wouldn't start him. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

End of the day he’s delivered last year. He deserves the benefit of any doubt. We know the hand he’s been given by venkys.

None of my post suggested or implied that I doubt Mowbray. 

My point suggesting he has bravely said that hes aiming to get players higher on the list than Armstrong and Chapman is a brave and bold statement. If he achieves this, then everyone will be saying how good his signings are, in that they will be better than players that would be very popular should they return, and if he doesnt, then he would have failed in the market. If he ends up with Armstrong and Chapman, then any disappointment that the higher quality targets hes mentioned havent joined will be totally overwhelmed by happiness to see 2 favourites back. (unless they are both loans, then fingers will be pointed at those above him)

None of that is any way negative or doubting of him.

33 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I'm not convinced he wasn't taking the pee either.  That said, he's a niggly little git who occupies defenders constantly. And has scored at champ level. The niggly bit is something we don't currently have.  On that basis,  he'd be worth considering.  Wouldn't take him above Armstrong though.

I agree we need a niggly, Speedie/Dickov type.

Re the chicken dance, somebody I know says that in the days before that Rovers game, Garner was in the De Lacy, going on about how he was going to celebrate in that way, if he scored at Ewood....

I had no idea that it was something he did every time he scored throughout his career...

If he does sign for Rovers and starts to do that every time he scores, I guess we will be calling it post irony!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Yeh, just having a look and there is just him and Lewis Grabban who have been sold for around the £7 million mark, so must be one of them two you would think, as you would think it would be a player who's in the championship.

Was looking at Bolton's transfers, they don't seem to have done to bad to say they have no money, Magennis irish international, Donadlson an established decent champ striker not overly exciting but a decent player, Oztumer good signing, Hobbs is a good centre back, Pritchard plenty of potential from Spurs and Wilson, if he can stay injury free would be an astute signing and Olkowski a Polish international with 13 caps.

27 Northern Ireland Centre-Forward   Charlton Athletic England  Charlton 225 Th. €

28 Poland Right-Back   1. FC Köln Germany  1. FC Köln Free Transfer

26 England Defensive Midfield   Birmingham City England  Birmingham Free Transfer

34 Jamaica
England
Centre-Forward   Sheffield United England  Sheffield Utd. Free Transfer

17 England
Ireland
Right Midfield - Everton FC U18 England  Everton U18 Free Transfer

27 England
Turkey
Attacking Midfield   Walsall FC England  Walsall FC Free Transfer

29 England Centre-Back   Nottingham Forest England  Nottm Forest Free Transfer

20 England Right-Back - Arsenal FC U23 England  Arsenal U23 Free Transfer

21 England Central Midfield - Tottenham Hotspur U23 England  Tottenham U23 Free Transfer

30 Ireland
Northern Ireland
Centre-Back   Sunderland AFC England  Sunderland Free Transfer

Magennis, Donaldson and Lowe are all pony but the rest of those signings look interesting. Hobbs looked like he could be a real player when he was younger but is still only 29 so could be an astute signing.

10 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Re the chicken dance, somebody I know says that in the days before that Rovers game, Garner was in the De Lacy, going on about how he was going to celebrate in that way, if he scored at Ewood....

I had no idea that it was something he did every time he scored throughout his career...

If he does sign for Rovers and starts to do that every time he scores, I guess we will be calling it post irony!

We need somebody with size and presence up front more than we need a Garner type. Speedie wasn't playing up there on his own. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

A gamble for sure.  Two players that offer directness and pace.  Both with young England honours and integrated very well with the rest of the squad but unproven at champ level.  I doubt they are deals that we would ever lose money on.

• Like 1

Strange and poor interview from Mowbray in my opinion, don’t understand what he has to gain from it. It seems like he has trouble to not try to explain himself when he’s getting a bit of stick, he’s too honest.

The only thing he could gain from saying something like this is to reduce the price of Armstrong/Chapman but then I’m not sure how they’d take being the D choice (unless he’s telling the two of them something different in private).

I’d rather he just keep his mouth shut if I’m honest, the top managers don’t tell the press what their A, B, C, and D choices are.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Garner is what's commonly known as a shithouse Len.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Magennis, Donaldson and Lowe are all pony but the rest of those signings look interesting. Hobbs looked like he could be a real player when he was younger but is still only 29 so could be an astute signing.

That list of signings looks very similar to the Coyle summer list when we went down. Some might turn out ok like Mulgrew. They have a better manager then Coyle, and they will probably have more fight than quality.  Magennis is an awkward customer, though never prolific. Otzumer has quality, but I'm not sure how he fits in in Parkinson's tactics. He couldn't get the best out of Armstrong so I have my doubts.

Just now, Igloo5090 said:

Is Abel Hernandez still available?

Think so, but we could never afford those wages which was the reason he couldn't agree a new contract. Far too good for Championship so I reckon he will have a payday in China or somewhere exotic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, briansol said:

Think so, but we could never afford those wages which was the reason he couldn't agree a new contract. Far too good for Championship so I reckon he will have a payday in China or somewhere exotic.

He’s only 26 though would he go to China now? Be a great signing that but obviously very doubtful 

6 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Strange and poor interview from Mowbray in my opinion, don’t understand what he has to gain from it. It seems like he has trouble to not try to explain himself when he’s getting a bit of stick, he’s too honest.

The only thing he could gain from saying something like this is to reduce the price of Armstrong/Chapman but then I’m not sure how they’d take being the D choice (unless he’s telling the two of them something different in private).

I’d rather he just keep his mouth shut if I’m honest, the top managers don’t tell the press what their A, B, C, and D choices are.

I didn't read it as they being on the D list. Appearantly they where very much in the mix so they could be anywhere from lower on the B list all the way to D. It was clear that he was aiming higher which is interesting as those two are highly rated among the supporters. He does set himself up for a bit of failure if we don't land them or someone better though. 

25 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

The man can’t win can he. Some fans are on twitter begging Rich Sharpe to see if Mowbray has said anything about signings. Other fans would rather him keep his mouth shut. And contrary to what you say, Mowbray does not mention the names of any players at all in his quotes either today or in previous interviews.

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Agreed. I'd be happy to have Armstrong and Chapman here as I think the pair of them would bolster the squad nicely, but I'm not sure there needs to be any suggestion we're aiming higher. Obviously if we are then that's great, but there's just no need to say it publicly. We just need to do as we usually do under Mowbray and get our business done under the radar. Should we make a couple of even better signings then that's fantastic, if we do end up with Armstrong and Chapman then most of us would be perfectly happy with that. The only frustration would be if we ended up with nobody, or more loaned youngsters as in the 16/17 season who either aren't able or aren't willing to contribute enough.

As it stands I trust Mowbray to ultimately get it right. I'll be anxious until the end of the window, though, as the owners have screwed us and other managers over so many times in the recent past. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Agreed. I'd be happy to have Armstrong and Chapman here as I think the pair of them would bolster the squad nicely, but I'm not sure there needs to be any suggestion we're aiming higher. Obviously if we are then that's great, but there's just no need to say it publicly. We just need to do as we usually do under Mowbray and get our business done under the radar. Should we make a couple of even better signings then that's fantastic, if we do end up with Armstrong and Chapman then most of us would be perfectly happy with that. The only frustration would be if we ended up with nobody, or more loaned youngsters as in the 16/17 season who either aren't able or aren't willing to contribute enough.

As it stands I trust Mowbray to ultimately get it right. I'll be anxious until the end of the window, though, as the owners have screwed us and other managers over so many times in the recent past. 

There is no evidence that we are going to end up with nobody or loan 4 more players into the club. Mowbray said "we know we can get our D targets" in a permanent signing context so while we'd all like to get the best players possible, the chances of signing nobody are remotely slim and not worth the discussion really.

Edited by JeffRover