BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

We need a twenty goals plus player.

Do you have any suggestions? Last season only two players reached double digits, Vydra and Grabban. Grabban just moved to Forest for 6 million and Vydra would cost far more in and is on 30k at Derby. 

Season before that you had Chris Woods, Dwight Gayle, Tammy Abraham and Glenn Murray with 20+ so you are looking at a very limited group and very expensive group with 20+ credentials. 

As I mentioned before it have to be punt on an old-timer, a PL loan or a lower league prospect. Could we revive someone like Ross McCormak without disrupting team morale? Would Nchema be the next Tammy Abraham? Seems like most of the lower league prospect like Marriot, Eisa and McNulty has already moved this transfer window.

12 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

When is the deadline for a player to be eligible for Saturday's game?

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Previous seasons I think players had to be registered by midday on the Friday.

I doubt we will see anything happen until next week on transfers

Too risky to bring someone unknown in (to rest of team) & not match-fit or to the standard of fitness TM needs.

We go to Ipswich with what we have.

Edited by Cherry Blue

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Just on Gallagher...

18 in 107 championship appearances is a poor goal return. Hes proven over a decent period of time that he cannot score enough goals to really be considered a capable Championship goalscorer.

He also doesnt fit the role that you would want from a lone striker. He cant hold the ball up or play with his back to goal, he has neither the strength or the intelligence.

He is amidst a group of strikers that Mowbray has had, Gallagher, Samuel, Antonsson and Armstrong, all of whom would probably see themselves as number 9's, and all of whom whilst Mowbray has flirted with the idea of playing them central, he has tended not to trust them long term in that position, clearly valuing Graham in that position and playing them wide instead as the wide forwards he professes to like so much, as all 4 are better facing the goal with their mobility than with their back to it. Mowbray clearly values the excellent hold up that Graham provides, albeit his body is on the wane with age.

If I remember rightly, Gallagher scored quite a lot of his goals playing in a 4-4-2 formation under Coyle. He often had Graham doing the dirty work for him in a formation that otherwise was incredibly flawed, and he wouldnt have that luxury now that we have Palmer and specifically Dack, meaning that if Gallagher played in our team, you would think it would be with Dack off him as a lone striker, and for reasons that ive already explained, hes not suited to it. 

I also cannot see us affording him anyway. I would like to think that Mowbray has a few non ex-Rovers in his sights as well that can live up to the hype that seems to be building in regards to the funds apparently available, and the fact that players considered better than Armstrong and Chapman are in his sights. That said, @chaddyrovers always says to trust Mowbray. I do but sadly, I know never to think Venkys will spend any money until the ink has dried on the contract.

Think that is quite accurate, especially that both Gallagher and Armstrong are not hold up players like Graham. Gallagher for me is quite similar to Samuel, probably an upgrade. Armstrong lacks height and power, but is quicker, more dynamic and more of a goalscorer. 

Just now, renrag said:

When Rudy Gestede joined Rovers he had a career return of 17 goals in 132 appearances, (7 in 55 in the Championship). Shearer had 23 in 118, so it’s not just the stats that count

Re: Gallagher

A redeeming fact about the MK Dons loan, was that he just had lost his father who he was close to and was mentally wasn't there. At Birmingham he was often deployed on the right wing, and was probably their best player after Christmas according to my Brum friend. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you think that Garner and Gallagher are better/should be on a higher list than Armstrong? I'd have to strongly disagree, wouldnt want either. And have either been linked apart from Gallagher by Nixon which doesnt count.

Also, need to keep repeating in Mowbray we trust. No one said they dont, any distrust is towards the owners and it doesnt help to stop the myth that everyone doesnt trust him.

Gallagher just only tho.

Did well here 1st time and would into the squad easily

5 hours ago, DE. said:

He could have been here for 56 games and it wouldn't have mattered, as I'm sure Josh King would attest. 

Just noticed Barrow is at Reading now. Thought he'd go on to do more.

Got a mate who is a Swansea fan and ex player, helps out with training with Swansea under 16s and he rated Barrow very highly !!

1 hour ago, RovingRover said:

I'd rather take a forward who had a goals to games ratio of 1 in every 2 League One games (Armstrong) than 1 in every 6 last season and 1 in every 4 the season before in the Championship (Gallagher).

Hopefully would take both, it would bring versitlity and options !!

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Gallagher v Armstrong is an interesting one. I would say Gallagher is the better out and out striker, but Armstrong has versatility in his favour. Gallagher has a better goalscoring record in the championship. I would be happy with either,but at a push I would probably prefer Gallagher. Controversial perhaps 

I couldn't disagree more on that. I wouldn't be at all unhappy if Armstrong came in permanently  preferably alongside a bit more of a target man type. On the other hand not only would I not say Gallagher is proven at Championship level, after a relegation season and a six goal season I'd say he is perilously close to being proven NOT good enough for the Championship!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

They would both want to be upfront. Which would be willing to sit on the bench with Graham?

Options are needed, look at Spurs they need to spend 30 + million for a bench warmer to cover for Kane 

They are in short supply which ever the level is, unless you throw crazy money at it

4 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

They would both want to be upfront. Which would be willing to sit on the bench with Graham?

If Armstrong was bought I doubt very much TM would be playing him as a lone striker. He would be playing same position as he was last season with the option of him going up front if we change to a 2.Dack needs a striker like Graham to play off...Armstrong doesn't have the strength or height to play up front on his own imo

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

“Apparently someone is travelling to Blackburn tonight ready for talks with Rovers tomorrow about a move .... interesting”

?

Not having a go at you but without a name or at the very least a bit of info to give it context that quote is completely worthless.

If it's complete rubbish and no-one signs, source can say "nothing must have come of it".

If it's a complete stab in the dark,  but by pure coincidence someone else does sign (which is a fair probability at this stage) source can say "I told you so".

• Like 2