BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

56 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If he gets the 5 he's suggested along with the 3 already in then that's 8 for the summer. I remember being shot down for suggesting we needed at least 7 new signings to go with what we already had.

Said the same at the beginning of this transfer window JH. 7/8 is the minimum really to become a truly competitive Championship team.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbrays says he wants 4-5 new signings and you say this is worrying news. I just found that a really bizzare comment

I would have no problem with Graham as 1st choice with a Championship experienced permanent signing and a young loan from the Premier league as competition. 

You say we have Conway and Bennett as our only wide men options, what about Palmer and Samuel? 

Because Samuel shown in his handful of appearances out wide in League 1 that he wasn't comfortable there.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

Depends how cut and dry you look at it. Are we more likely to spend 2.5 million on Peterborough's Maddison or 3 million on Newcastle's Armstrong?

Just going off the fact how he's been talking about signing proven champ quality. We haven't bid for Armstrong yet and he isn't a priority due to his lack of experience at this level... TM's words.

Edited by Neal

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would have no problem with Graham as 1st choice with a Championship experienced permanent signing and a young loan from the Premier league as competition. 

The problem then however is that this time next year we will need at least 2 strikers of sufficient quality. Graham might well be moving on after this season or no longer be able to perform, the loan you want will go back to his parent club, and Samuel and Nuttall might be surplus to requirements.

That's why we need an heir to Graham now, to come in and play this season. Bringing in a loan to play 2nd fiddle is just delaying things until next season when it will have to be addressed on a bigger scale.

As far as I'm concerned we need at least one striker now to call our own who we build around and who shares responsibilities with Graham. Ship Nuttall out on loan and see how he goes on. Give Samuel a chance when possible and make a decision on him and then next summer we make decisions on Graham and Samuel whilst still having someone else to fall back on.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The problem then however is that this time next year we will need at least 2 strikers of sufficient quality. Graham might well be moving on after this season or no longer be able to perform, the loan you want will go back to his parent club, and Samuel and Nuttall might be surplus to requirements.

That's why we need an heir to Graham now, to come in and play this season. Bringing in a loan to play 2nd fiddle is just delaying things until next season when it will have to be addressed on a bigger scale.

As far as I'm concerned we need at least one striker now to call our own who we build around and who shares responsibilities with Graham. Ship Nuttall out on loan and see how he goes on. Give Samuel a chance when possible and make a decision on him and then next summer we make decisions on Graham and Samuel whilst still having someone else to fall back on.

Completely agree with that.

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm on the same planet as you thank you very much "pal". Lol.

Cover might be what we need for players like Raya, Lenihan and Dack.

Up front and out wide we need players who will come straight into and improve the first eleven.

Nowhere did I we need cover did I?

We want a squad where everyone need to earn their places. You perform you keep your place

7 days left of the transfer window of this crazy window with crazy prices. 

If you could choose either Armstrong or Maddison who would you pick. I'm pretty sure we couldn't afford both and I'm a little torn. Think I'd try get Maddison on a permanent and try loan a striker in the mould of Graham. Not a clue who that would be mind 

2 minutes ago, dallydally said:

I'd go for Maddison and Nugent from Derby

Nugent at 34 years old? Why? 

Ive heard people mention Crouch and I'm against that aswell.

If we sign Clough Permanent I would be pleased. He is available. Supposedly hes in talks with Rovers but not 100% sure info is correct. 

Does the transfer window really close next Thursday? it closes end of August. Think you will find in the leagues outside the Prem now will be deals on loans but signing permanent at Christmas written in the deals,  it is a way round it. It will be agreed on fee before the loan so basically a signing. That is the way I believe TM will do his transfers, would not be surprised if we only signed one next week and the rest  late august. TM will get better fees this way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

7 days left of the transfer window of this crazy window with crazy prices. 

So if we didn't sign anyone else on principle and went down that'd be ok would it?

The market is what it is. I can't see prices doing anything other than increase further in the short to medium term.

I we weren't prepared for that it's our look out.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nugent at 34 years old? Why? 

Ive heard people mention Crouch and I'm against that aswell.

If we sign Clough Permanent I would be pleased. He is available. Supposedly hes in talks with Rovers but not 100% sure info is correct. 

Where's that info from Chadster?

43 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Well we have about a week to see what happens next.

I think we can all agree that if we start the season with this squad then we are weaker than last year?

We need some permanent signings this coming week, ideally 3 forward minded players. Based on what Mowbray has said, he wants 4 players by next week with perhaps a 5th before loan market ends.

I don't agree with the bold statement. Last season the players we had were mostly unproven, the fact the they turned out OK was to our advantage. This season most of those same players have proven their worth and have a good team spirit and work ethic. I therefore think we have a very similar but much stronger squad. 

40 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Man.... are you ever grasping at straws now trying to defend this transfer window.

I said I wanted two quality strikers to come in leaving Graham as a decent third oprion plus at least one wide man who could go straight into the first eleven as well. How is that wanting "competition for places?"

I think deep down you know as well as well as I do we're headed for serious trouble if we go into the season with 33 year old Graham plus Samuel and Nuttall as our striking options plus Conway and Bennett as the wide men.

Still seven days plus change left until the permanent deadline so let's hope we can do something about it.

I feel like you are ignoring the fact that we’ve already signed Palmer and Rothwell who Mowbray will most likely play out wide.

I agree we need 2 more quality signings up front and out wide to have a truly strong team that’s able to compete this season, but not at the expense of team spirit and Mowbray has got it right with his current approach to signings.

Signing “two quality strikers” and immediately relegating Graham (one of our key men last season) to third choice before a ball has even been kicked this season would be a disaster. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pitty said:

Does the transfer window really close next Thursday? it closes end of August. Think you will find in the leagues outside the Prem now will be deals on loans but signing permanent at Christmas written in the deals,  it is a way round it. It will be agreed on fee before the loan so basically a signing. That is the way I believe TM will do his transfers, would not be surprised if we only signed one next week and the rest  late august. TM will get better fees this way.

We can't be waiting for 31st of August to get our buisness done.We need the majority in next week.Season starts Saturday not 31st of August 

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

We can't be waiting for 31st of August to get our buisness done.We need the majority in next week.Season starts Saturday not 31st of August 

I know what you are saying but from quotes TM is making this is the way I believe he will do his business. He does not seem to be in a rush does he and seems quite relaxed about the situation. Might work out well for us. 

21 minutes ago, JayDee said:

If you could choose either Armstrong or Maddison who would you pick. I'm pretty sure we couldn't afford both and I'm a little torn. Think I'd try get Maddison on a permanent and try loan a striker in the mould of Graham. Not a clue who that would be mind 

I'd be happy with either to be honest.

Really liked what I saw of Armstrong last year & think Mowbray is far more likely to get a tune out of him than was the case at Bolton. That said, I'd probably just go for Maddison because he looks like he can handle himself physically. 

I suppose if a request is sent to Venkys now for funds for transfers then the authorisation might come through in time for January. That might be a benefit of loaning now with a deal in place for the winter window.