BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You unhappy about Armstrong coming back?

No, not unhappy, per se. He was very good last season against L1 opposition.

It’s just that taking a step back, our squad is last season’s plus Rothwell, Davenport and Palmer, minus Payne and Chapman.

We are putting a lot of stock in the ‘potential’ of this side. I’d like us to sign a 2018 version of Danny Graham to balance the lack of Championship experience in the squad. There’s still time but we are not yet where I would like us to be in terms of squad strength.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I think this was well down the line as far back as last week. I'm still of the belief that the Bennett PR exercise early this week and the 'Agent Benno' thing was being done knowing Armstrong was on his way. Mowbray was probably teasing with his comments the other day.

If it comes off I'm pleased provided it is just one of 3 attacking signings. With him and Palmer we've probably now made up for the trio of departures from last season but of course we need to be stronger than last season so more options are needed.

The 2 other attacking players being a pacey winger and target man? 

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

It’s just that taking a step back, our squad is last season’s plus Rothwell, Davenport and Palmer, minus Payne and Chapman.

We are putting a lot of stock in the ‘potential’ of this side. I’d like us to sign a 2018 version of Danny Graham to balance the lack of Championship experience in the squad. There’s still time but we are not yet where I would like us to be in terms of squad strength.

not sure you can say lack of Championship experience in this squad. Plenty of experience in the squad like Mulgrew, Lenihan, Williams, Smallwood, Whittingham, Evans, Bennett and Conway. 

But I agree we need a target man type striker in. 

Just as a pointer on the argument that we needed the signings in early to hit the ground running; I'm not convinced, whoever we sign, that the line-up against Ipswich will contain any of the new recruits. Perhaps one. I think Mowbray wants to phase the new players in slowly. Rightly or wrongly. Off the back of a successful promotion season, I don't think he wants to change it too much. Try and reward the lads who got us here. Ingratiating too many new players can have the opposite effect. Coming off a season of struggle, it may work better. 

I'm not suggesting this is preferable, or dumbing down any expectations. I just don't think it's the unmitigated disaster that some seem to think. 

Edited by Doaksie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The 2 other attacking players being a pacey winger and target man? 

I think that's what we need yes. Though I'm not sure Mowbray likes that sort of thing,  think he prefers other ways so doubt we'll see a big lad target man turning up.

• Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Mods will be all over this pal don’t worry. They don’t like people being deliberately inflammatory. We’ll see their interjection soon I’m sure...

Not true. We just don’t like people being dicks. Nothing posted in the recent past has been fitting of such a description though, so everyone will have to try harder, clearly....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I agree. A younger Graham, a winger, a defender would do. In that order. Not that bothered by bringing in another keeper this window.

I think you'll find that most of the squad has indeed Championship experience. It's basicly just Dack, Rothwell and the young ones like Travis who haven't played there before. They might have been relegated but at least they have experienced the level.

2 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

Just as a pointer on the argument that we needed the signings in early to hit the ground running; I'm not convinced, whoever we sign, that the line-up against Ipswich will contain of any new recruits. Perhaps one. I think Mowbray wants to phase the new players in slowly. Rightly or wrongly. Off the back of a successful promotion season, I don't think he wants to change it too much. Try and reward the lads who got us here. Ingratiating too many new players can have the opposite effect. Coming off a season of struggle, it may work better. 

I'm not suggesting this is preferable, or dumbing down any expectations. I just don't think it's the mitigated disaster that some seem to think. 

Wise words ..

4 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

Already given him a bit haha

I posted in here a few hours ago calling him a tw@t. I'm glad others have joined the bandwagon... Lynch him! :lol:... Happy Armstrong is coming back, needs to prove himself at this level but we've seen how good of a finisher he is. Feed him and he will score. 

This confirmed yet? Would be great news if it is - its two positions for one player.

If it is confirmed, IMO, we need a target man type similar to grhama and a pacey winger and at a push - a CB.

2 minutes ago, briansol said:

I agree. A younger Graham, a winger, a defender would do. In that order. Not that bothered by bringing in another keeper this window.

I think you'll find that most of the squad has indeed Championship experience. It's basicly just Dack, Rothwell and the young ones like Travis who haven't played there before. They might have been relegated but at least they have experienced the level.

For ‘experience’ think ‘quality’.

There is a missing piece in our squad.

On 30/07/2018 at 17:56, Butty said:

Mitro joins Fulham for 22 million. Might mean Newcastle would accept a bit less for Armstrong now.. 

If you can't give yourself a bit of credit sometimes then who can ;) 

• Like 9

He said 4 or 5 more to come in right? One down (hopefully), 3 or 4 more to go. 

i would hope another couple are perms, winger and 'younger' version Graham type striker. Then a couple of loans to pad the place out a bit.

• Like 1

Good signing for me if it's anything around the fee mentioned above! 

Would love to get a winger with some pace in now. Someone mentioned Ojo earlier, someone of that ilk would do nicely.

Then another striker and I reckon we're more or less set to have a good crack this year