BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Raya

Nyambe.     Mulgrew.  Lennihan.  Bell

Bennett   

Play it when he's injured! Joking aside, Dack played in a midfield '2' for Gillingham.  Can play that role and does his fair share of tracking back.

I'm not advocating we go 4 4 2.  Just think it is a system that can still be utilised if you want 2 up top -without going 3 at the back.  Dependent on having decent wide men though!

Dack would be wasted tieing him down to a more structured role. You don't want him running back marking people.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

39 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Disagree. The manager’s job is to get the best people for the job and to ensure that unity and team spirit. It won’t be a happy group for long if we keep losing games.

Talent is just as important as team spirit.

Of course it is, but we cant compete in the talent stakes with teams with premier league players. We cant compete with teams with parachute money. We cant compete with teams spending 30-40 million. The playing field isnt level and my point was we will need to excel in other areas to bridge the gap if we hope to do well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

@JAL I can enjoy your posts a lot more now that I get it’s a wind up.

You never answered Tom though... what changed from this to now?

C12DF1CE-FB32-44C3-B6E8-4CD727A73D33.jpeg

And who who do you recommend we sign now?

I know its @#/? friday ..friday where everyone makes a @#/? of themselves  but JAL does it seven days a week ..cmon Mods flex your muscles and get rid of this first grade wind up merchant ..its gone on long enough .

• Like 2

Started reading the thread off the back of the Armstrong links. Soon got fed up. So I apologise if this has been raised already.

Looks like a good signing at a decent price to me. If nothing else, a strong season and reasonable amount of goals and we've got ourselves an English prospect at a very good age. And if recent history is anything to go by, those two things tend to mean an extra few quid when selling up. Although I can't say that's the outcome I'm looking for. 

The way I see it is this lad is dynamite in the penalty box. A proper instinctive finisher. I also seem to recall we had another deadly finisher at the club not so long ago and he was lamented for having no pace, no hold up play and no work rate. The way I see it, at least Armstrong has pace. So pace + finishing + £5m cheaper than we paid last time = decent business. 

My only concern is in effect (assuming Armstrong is signed, sealed and delivered) we are as strong as we were when we went up last year. I believe that's enough to stay up and consolidate. But the undertones from some of the press releases and player interviews suggest there is a quiet confidence amongst the players and staff that we might just be a surprise package. Not saying that's impossible, but it's a big ask. Not least because I thought we looked suspect at the back last year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dack would be wasted tieing him down to a more structured role. You don't want him running back marking people.

Take Dack out of the equation!  4-4-2 is still a useful way to play two up top.  Providing the wide players are decent.  Like when Conway was firing them over for Gestede and Rhodes back in the day.  As I said earlier, not advocating playing the system...as we have no wingers ?.  But, it is a system that still has merits with the correct personnel and allows 2 up top - without the dreaded 3 at the back....which was the topic. ?

51 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Disagree. The manager’s job is to get the best people for the job and to ensure that unity and team spirit. It won’t be a happy group for long if we keep losing games.

One you pay for, one is free.

Armstrong will be the second best finisher at the club behind Dack. I'd like to see him get stuck in a little bit more than last season, he's Scottish after all so needs a little bit of grittiness. 

patrickvalery: It's easy to forget our terrible last season. We looked pretty damn solid, especially after Christmas. Mowbray will tweak the squad and we will stay up, I have no doubt about that. But if Dack emulates his form from last season he'll be a goner next summer, along with Mulgrew and Armstrong too if he continues to progress. It's going to be an almost impossible task to gain promotion from the Championship and I'm starting to wonder whether this season will be our best chance in a while...

8 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Take Dack out of the equation!  4-4-2 is still a useful way to play two up top.  Providing the wide players are decent.  Like when Conway was firing them over for Gestede and Rhodes back in the day.  As I said earlier, not advocating playing the system...as we have no wingers ?.  But, it is a system that still has merits with the correct personnel and allows 2 up top - without the dreaded 3 at the back....which was the topic. ?

I like 4-4-2 matey, it's probably my preferred system of play  but like any system you need the player to fit the roles. Dack can't be left out of the equation because he's our match winner. For me he's the first name on the team sheet. He needs to play behind two strikers in a diamond midfield or behind a single striker in a 4-4-1-1. You need  to have him on the ball as much as possible and running at teams, anything else is a waste of our best asset.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Torgeir said:

Armstrong will be the second best finisher at the club behind Dack. I'd like to see him get stuck in a little bit more than last season, he's Scottish after all so needs a little bit of grittiness. 

patrickvalery: It's easy to forget our terrible last season. We looked pretty damn solid, especially after Christmas. Mowbray will tweak the squad and we will stay up, I have no doubt about that. But if Dack emulates his form from last season he'll be a goner next summer, along with Mulgrew and Armstrong too if he continues to progress. It's going to be an almost impossible task to gain promotion from the Championship and I'm starting to wonder whether this season will be our best chance in a while...

Hmmmm. Not sure I'd agree with that. I thought we often looked like we could concede. But I put that down to the system we played and the lack of protection our back four had at times. It's a fine balancing act though I suppose. And I'm not complaining about having a Rovers side who's first thought is to attack.

Scottish? Who Armstrong?

4 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

He's not Scottish. He is however proper  northern so the rest of that still stands 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

It doesn't take long for team spirit to go out of the window if you're getting dicked every week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It doesn't take long for team spirit to go out of the window if you're getting dicked every week.

Is that why WAGs generally don't seem to get along too well??

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

But if Dack emulates his form from last season he'll be a goner next summer, along with Mulgrew and Armstrong too if he continues to progress.

Very possible Dack will move on if he has another good season. Mulgrew's age and injury proneness will make him less likely to move on, imo. Will be interesting to see how he handles this season. Last time we were in the Championship Mulgrew struggled for fitness, so we'll see whether last season was a one off due to lesser demands or whether he genuinely is holding up better. I'd be surprised if Armstrong has such a good season that he'll be ready to move on by next season. I imagine he'll be here for a couple of years at least, he still has a lot to prove at this level, let alone any higher.

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would say he has been signed for left wing more so, the bonus being that he can also play upfront. Maddison doesn't play up front as well. 

Some fans are never happy :) 

and some are never happy unless they are trolling.....:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Midfield will be interesting this year.  We have an abundance of players there.   Wewill no doubt start of with Evans and Smallwood as the '2'. If Davenport is as good as rumoured, he should be able to force his way in.  If not, great opportunity for Travis.  Also the (admittedly unlikely) scenario that Whittingham has a swansong.

Not convinced about Evans/Smallwood as the 2. As you say plenty of competition in those positions.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Ignoring your naivety in terms of implying that you know how Rovers transfers work behind the scenes now, in terms of Venkys involvement. Venkys have plenty of history at pulling the plug at any moment. 

Your point makes absolutely no sense. You seem to have totally missed the point. Regardless of how the internal system works in terms of transfers, the important bit is the amount that Mowbray has to play with. He has no impact in that. The money isnt coming from Mowbray or Waggotts pocket. If Venkys decided to give Mowbray no money, then it wouldnt be Mowbrays fault just because he had the money last, it would be Venkys fault. Whether its Venkys or Mowbray having the final say is irrelevant. People dont trust VENKYS. People do trust Mowbray. Please get your head around that.

And it was, the smugness was needless. No one is implying that they dont trust Mowbray so please stop saying it. And everyone is happier if we spend more money.

No I didn't missed the point roversfan99 so stop saying it. 

Mowbray has been given a budget already by the owners in May, as himself and Waggott  have said many times, so why would they(owners) reduced the budget now. Mowbray has been clever and smart in the transfer window and not allow the club to over pay for players and played waiting game. Mowbray has always maintain he had money to spend so we will see him buying players at the right prices. Now we will see the benefits. 1.75 mil plus adds ons is a great deal for the club.

Do you know what involvement the owners even have in transfer matters or even confirming transfers? Or can Waggott authorise these deals as he has been given a budget to spend this season? 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I think we have enough players who provide the same kind of qualities as Gallagher. I'd much rather we look at backup to Graham (a hold up type striker), a wide man and a centre back. Hell, I'd prioritise both right and left back over bringing in Sam Gallagher. Still think we're a bit weak in both areas should Nyambe or Williams/Bell pick up an injury. 

That's not to say I'd be disappointed if Gallagher was brought in, I just think we should be looking at other areas first.

Tall, which is a attribute we need, but sadly not good in the air. So I hope we would sign better.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No I didn't missed the point roversfan99 so stop saying it. 

Mowbray has been given a budget already by the owners in May, as himself and Waggott  have said many times, so why would they(owners) reduced the budget now. Mowbray has been clever and smart in the transfer window and not allow the club to over pay for players and played waiting game. Mowbray has always maintain he had money to spend so we will see him buying players at the right prices. Now we will see the benefits. 1.75 mil plus adds ons is a great deal for the club.

Do you know what involvement the owners even have in transfer matters or even confirming transfers? Or can Waggott authorise these deals as he has been given a budget to spend this season? 

You have, and the involvement of Waggott in the process is not only irrelevant but im not particularly interested. When exactly the owners get involved, again, not bothered. Do I trust them to spend any money? Not at all.

why would they(owners) reduced the budget now. - and the award for the most naive comment ever goes to! Have you been in a cave during the last 8 years? 

My point is, you keep saying that we need to trust Mowbray to get the right players for the right prices. No one has suggested otherwise.

You say Mowbray has said he has money, he might think he has but Venkys have history of whipping the carpet out from under a managers feet.

Even if you have trust in Venkys not reducing the budget all of a sudden, after everything thats happened, surely you appreciate why others are skeptical, are dubious of what the owners will do next

Please stop confusing this with not trusting Mowbray.

13 hours ago, david brent said:

This is rather contradictory to what Rich Sharpe has just tweeted. 

I’d have no issue if you had said that you had heard he was on the verge of signing. I encourage transfer rumour and gossip on here as it adds to the fun.

However you stated it as FACT that he signed last night and it was to be announced this morning???

As a result I told numerous people last night and I look a bit of a?end now!

So fee might have been slightly out and not fully offical but can I have an a small you were right and I no longer look a ?end

Edited by ewoodnews
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Butty said:

You tell me JAL? You were the one saying we should bring him back a couple of months ago. Just seen you post that you doubt the owners would bring Kalinic back. Yeah no shit, no championship club would be able too afford him! What is wrong with you man? Please go back to Clarets Mad, you're a sad dingle wind up merchant and I can't be bothered seeing your rubbish on here anymore it's getting boring now :lol: 

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

I know its @#/? friday ..friday where everyone makes a @#/? of themselves  but JAL does it seven days a week ..cmon Mods flex your muscles and get rid of this first grade wind up merchant ..its gone on long enough .

Are you really Rovers fans or daft young kids ?