BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

It changes all the time but i think this week we will sign Gallagher (4m), Armstrong (2m), a winger on loan (probably from City) and a back up centre back (still want Bauer).

No way should we be paying good money for a 'duck egg' like Gallagher.

56 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I am surprised Mowbray didnt try to offload more of our deadwood. Maybe no clubs were interested in the likes of Wittingham, Gladwin etc 

I understand TM likes to give players a chance but he's a lot of wages that could be put to better use tied up in those two and they'll never offer anything other than maybe a token cameo here and there.

Pointless really.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Nixon’s attempt at covering his tracks after saying we’d only be getting loans:

‘BLACKBURN. Venkys have had some profitable months ... so boosted Mowbray spending fund enough to do Armstrong deal’

He really is painful he's obviously been trawling this site again.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J*B said:

It changes all the time but i think this week we will sign Gallagher (4m), Armstrong (2m), a winger on loan (probably from City) and a back up centre back (still want Bauer).

More likely that if we signed Gallagher it will be on loan (with fee paid) with a view to sign him permanently at the end of the season.

Edited by RovingRover
Autocorrect whoopsie

Just hope we sign square pegs for square holes this week. Not players who "can play there."

We need a striker in the Graham mould, someone who plays with his back to goal. Look at Grahams role in our second goal yesterday, proper strike play. Grahams only problem is age/fitness. 

Gallagher is NOT that type of striker, and I think links to him are lazy ones based on him being here in the past. He would not be fit for purpose.

We also need a proper pacy winger. 

McGinn would be an interesting signing, but like others have said weve already signed a lot of midfielders. Evans gets a raw deal because our fans have a preset opinion of him, he was pretty good yesterday and excellent towards the end of last season, that said I wouldnt turn down an upgrade especially with Evans injury record. I'd loan Travis out.

Another centre back, and a goalkeeper to push Raya who is still too error prone and erratic, also needed.

Do need to reduce the size of the squad, Leutwiler, Caddis, Hart, Gladwin, Nuttall on loan, if we got Armstrong and a striker and winger then id sell Samuel too.

If we can buy Armstrong for 3 million, then McGinn doesn't seem like a player who would be out of our budget, especially as he will be on much lower wages than Armstrong. McGinn, Armstrong, Maddison, Bauer? that would be a very very good window. Just hope some things materialise in the next couple of days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

100% agree with other areas being a priority but at the same time McGinn would undoubtedly improve our first 11.

Il be honest I have my doubts about Smallwood and Evans.At times yesterday they couldn't get a hold on the game at all 

Some of Mowbray's deals have been a bit odd though.Downing wasn't in the 18 yesterday and Mowbray wants to bring in another centre half, that suggests to me Mowbray doesn't think Downing is good enough so then why did he sign him on a permanent deal?He should have been thanked for his service and been sent back after his loan ended 

Davenport is another strange enough one if the McGinn rumours are true, no doubt is he highly rated and I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the signing but we already have a highly thought of youngster in Travis on the bench for that role do you really need two?

Maybe we have more money than I expected and we will strengthen all areas but hopefully we will see the like of caddis and Gladwin depart before the window closes too 

I wouldnt buy McGinn. We are well cover there. We bought our centre midfielder now. Unless Whittingham or Evans leaves. 

Yes Downing is ok signing. Signing him wasnt odd at all. He played well there last season. The reason why he wasnt on the bench is clear. Bell and Travis can play 2 positions, Nuttall, Rothwell, Palmer and Conway all attacking options. 

We need 4 centre backs at least this season. He play his part

42 minutes ago, J*B said:

Thanks JB. I would be very happy with that. 

Would be pleased with Gallagher back here permanent. 4 mil is decent price. 

40 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

On what evidence do you base your opinion that Travis can play box to box?

High energy levels, can get up and down the pitch, movement decent, techique decent. 

I wouldnt be surprise if our 1st choice centre midfield is Travis and Davenport by end of the season. 

And I deffo wouldnt be loaning him out either

Edited by chaddyrovers

40 minutes ago, JAL said:

No way should we be paying good money for a 'duck egg' like Gallagher.

I'm not a fan either and I hope we can do better but if he does come in he's an improvement on Nuttall and probably on Samuel. I know I'm not saying much there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldnt buy McGinn. We are well cover there. We bought our centre midfielder now. Unless Whittingham or Evans leaves. 

Yes Downing is ok signing. Signing him wasnt odd at all. He played well there last season. The reason why he wasnt on the bench is clear. Bell and Travis can play 2 positions, Nuttall, Rothwell, Palmer and Conway all attacking options. 

High energy levels, can get up and down the pitch, movement decent, techique decent. 

I wouldnt be surprise if our 1st choice centre midfield is Travis and Davenport by end of the season. 

Exactly so we sign another centre back then Downing will never play so was a bit of a pointless permanent signing 

People who actually went yesterday are pointing out that the Evans and Smallwood centre midfield pairing wasn't too impressive. I've come to the conclusion that at this level you need more from midfield than they've got to offer. The two of them aren't going to contribute much going forward and if Dack has an off day we're struggling to create much.  I know it's  early days yet but we seem to have plenty of water carriers in midfield but no game changers. If this Scots lad is a game changer we should be looking at him. With a bit of luck we can loan some of our surplus water carriers out. Having said that there doesn't appear to be a queue forming to take them off our hands.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And I deffo wouldnt be loaning him out either

Has he played that role for the under 23s?  What's his goals/assists ratio.  Hard to assess his energy levels as he only makes cameo appearances.  If anything he looks like a Smallwood type.

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If McGinn is definitely better than what's we have then it makes sense to bring hIm in. You don't make progress being loyal all the time. Sometimes you have to make though decisions and he sounds like he could be a significantly better genuine midfielder than what we have. 

Agree on Downing. He did a great job last year and will give us an option of a 4th CB in the squad but we do need to get another in ASAP. The first Ipswich goal yesterday was another of those that a big ugly centre half, rather than the more cultured variety which we currently have, may have got his head on and cleared.

Edited by Hasta

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

People who actually went yesterday are pointing out that the Evans and Smallwood centre midfield pairing wasn't too impressive. I've come to the conclusion that at this level you need more from midfield than they've got to offer. The two of them aren't going to contribute much going forward and if Dack has an off day we're struggling to create much.  I know it's  early days yet but we seem to have plenty of water carriers in midfield but no game changers. If this Scots lad is a game changer we should be looking at him. With a bit of luck we can loan some of our surplus water carriers out. Having said that there doesn't appear to be a queue forming to take them off our hands.

Amazed that Travis didn't get on. Youthful enthusiasm does wonders for a team that was flagging.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Exactly so we sign another centre back then Downing will never play so was a bit of a pointless permanent signing 

You need 4.Especially when Mulgrew and Lenihan have injury histories.

1 minute ago, 47er said:

You need 4.Especially when Mulgrew and Lenihan have injury histories.

Williams will be ahead of Downing as an option along with the new centre back.Downing wasn't even in the 18 yesterday new centre back just puts him further back 

28 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

If we can buy Armstrong for 3 million, then McGinn doesn't seem like a player who would be out of our budget, especially as he will be on much lower wages than Armstrong. McGinn, Armstrong, Maddison, Bauer? that would be a very very good window. Just hope some things materialise in the next couple of days.

Agree.

I only hope we don't end up with  the feeling of "would have, could have, should have..didn't"

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You always need 4 centre backs in a squad for a season. 

You mention Williams as centre back but happens if Bell is out injury along with Mulgrew and new Centre back out injury. Injuries with happen. We need 24/25 man squad this season

Edited by chaddyrovers