BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Sky say Mccgin is at Villa for talks but no fee has been agreed. It also says the player and hibs want him to move to the championship. 

So still seems we could sneak in there if we wanted but there doesn't seem to be any urgency from us to do so. If we really wanted him we would of made our move by now so think it's time to leave that one. Anyone have any idea who might actually be coming in?

Just now, TruRover said:

Sky say Mccgin is at Villa for talks but no fee has been agreed. It also says the player and hibs want him to move to the championship. 

So still seems we could sneak in there if we wanted but there doesn't seem to be any urgency from us to do so. If we really wanted him we would of made our move by now so think it's time to leave that one. Anyone have any idea who might actually be coming in?

Agreed.  If he was a high priority, can't see why this couldn't have been done before Villa's interest.  Will be interesting to see how he does at Villa.  Could be one that we regret. Or not lol. 

• Like 1

35 mil is mad but I guess in this market. Watched him play last night against Hull and although I don't like him much due to his past demeanors I have to say I think he can step up. Think he would slot in with spurs play style very well as part of the 3 behind kane though only as a bit part player. Doubt he will dislodge eriksson, son or dele anytime soon (until son goes to the Asian games). 

Let's be honest if you were Mcginn you'd always choose villa over rovers at this current time especially if grealish was leaving a gap in the starting 11 for you. 

As long as we prioritise a CF and a CB in the next few weeks I'll be happy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TruRover said:

I don't know how we could "sneak in". He probably sees Villa as a better option for him. They lost the play-off final last year while we came 2nd in League 1. 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have watched a fair bit of Grealish and I think Dack is a better player. 

Discuss :) 

Id rather have Dack at 750k than Grealish at 35 million put it that way.

Who the better player is? - Well Grealish has performed at a higher level for sure but there are question marks abouts his attitude and consistency. Surely he would have featured more often for England otherwise.

Ultimately, would anyone pay 35 million for Dack right now? Not a chance - who knows in a couple of seasons though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Id rather have Dack at 750k than Grealish at 35 million put it that way.

Who the better player is? - Well Grealish has performed at a higher level for sure but there are question marks abouts his attitude and consistency. Surely he would have featured more often for England otherwise.

Ultimately, would anyone pay 35 million for Dack right now? Not a chance - who knows in a couple of seasons though.

True. It just shows what a good season or 2 in the Championship can do for a lads price tag. As you say Grealish is nowhere near even being an international as things stand. He hasn't been called up to the senior team since declaring for England I don't think. Seems huge money to me. 

Would you swap Dack for Grealish right now if offered it? No other fees involved... :) 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have watched a fair bit of Grealish and I think Dack is a better player. 

Discuss :) 

I love Dack as much as anyone, but come on now....

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

I love Dack as much as anyone, but come on now....

I have watched plenty of Grealish and I don't think there is much between them. Both have strengths and weaknesses.... 

The only thing I can see that he has on Dack is that he has done it for a season in the Championship and Dack is 2 years older...

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

True. It just shows what a good season or 2 in the Championship can do for a lads price tag. As you say Grealish is nowhere near even being an international as things stand. He hasn't been called up to the senior team since declaring for England I don't think. Seems huge money to me. 

Would you swap Dack for Grealish right now if offered it? No other fees involved... :) 

You would have to say yes due to their valuations. Id then sell Grealish to Spurs for 35 million and offer 15 to Villa for Dack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

You would have to say yes due to their valuations. Id then sell Grealish to Spurs for 35 million and offer 15 to Villa for Dack.

SHUSH

What if Bruce is on here???

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Are you related to Ken Furphy by any chance?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Joe Hart signs for the dingles, where you would expect him to be on the bench (at best) when Pope and Heaton are back fit.

What a come down for the bloke.

Weird.  He's effectively ended his career as a first choice keeper.  Although you would assume Heaton or Pope may go to one of the big guns within the next 12 months.

Never really rated Hart all along and certainly not for England, he had a little purple patch when he was young but never grew into what he looked like he might. Pulls off the saves for the camera but really struggles with basics and his concentration levels were shocking at times.

Probably turn out world class now under a solid defensive unit and manager .....

• Like 1

I was curious about the net spend of Championship clubs so far given a lot of attention is being paid to the big fees being paid out for merely decent Championship players, yet a lot of these same clubs have taken in quite a large share of transfer fees themselves (e.g. Middlesbrough reportedly getting £18m for Traore today), so they're bound to be spending some of that.

Link: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2018

Note transfermarkt will obviously be incomplete, imperfect, and not 100% up-to-date. So they don't have AV getting £30m+ for Grealish just yet, they won't be counting Norwich paying a couple million in Rhodes' loan fee, etc... As always, wages should be a bigger consideration. Nevertheless...

Parachute payment recipients for some added context: ***£40m, **£25m, *£14m (I think). Ordered by net income.

Swansea*** +£33m

Norwich* +£30m

Aston Villa* +£14m

Middlesbrough** +£13m

Bristol City +£10m

Sheffield United +£6m

QPR +£4m

Brentford +£3m

PNE +£3m

Ipswich +£2m

Sheffield Wednesday +1.5m

Rotherham £0

Bolton -£200k

Millwall -£1m

Wigan -£1m

Blackburn -£2m

Hull** -£2m

Birmingham -£2m

West Brom*** -£3m

Leeds -£4m

Derby -£4m

Reading -£5m

Stoke*** -£7m

Nottingham Forest -£23m

Forest is the only ridiculous net spender so far this window (and they had a net transfer income of £10m last year).

The Championship is generally a selling league, and that's still true this transfer window (to the tune of +£60m net income so far this window)

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Joe Hart signs for the dingles, where you would expect him to be on the bench (at best) when Pope and Heaton are back fit.

Having to travel to Burnley on a regular basis will be the biggest come down...

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Fair play to Hart, he could go to a club where he is guaranteed games and a big salary. The fact he is going to somewhere were there is loads of competition and a lesser salary level shows he is still keen to test himself IMO.

Hasn't he just taken the closest and easiest option due to him living in the North West? 

Burnley is basically just the next nearest club geographically that would have him.

Don't blame him for it, he's in twilight of his career so why not. 

But don't see it as some bold move myself.  More like a no brainer comfort option. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

I was curious about the net spend of Championship clubs so far given a lot of attention is being paid to the big fees being paid out for merely decent Championship players, yet a lot of these same clubs have taken in quite a large share of transfer fees themselves (e.g. Middlesbrough reportedly getting £18m for Traore today), so they're bound to be spending some of that.

Link: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2018

Note transfermarkt will obviously be incomplete, imperfect, and not 100% up-to-date. So they don't have AV getting £30m+ for Grealish just yet, they won't be counting Norwich paying a couple million in Rhodes' loan fee, etc... As always, wages should be a bigger consideration. Nevertheless...

Parachute payment recipients for some added context: ***£40m, **£25m, *£14m (I think). Ordered by net income.

Swansea*** +£33m

Norwich* +£30m

Aston Villa* +£14m

Middlesbrough** +£13m

Bristol City +£10m

Sheffield United +£6m

QPR +£4m

Brentford +£3m

PNE +£3m

Ipswich +£2m

Sheffield Wednesday +1.5m

Rotherham £0

Bolton -£200k

Millwall -£1m

Wigan -£1m

Blackburn -£2m

Hull** -£2m

Birmingham -£2m

West Brom*** -£3m

Leeds -£4m

Derby -£4m

Reading -£5m

Stoke*** -£7m

Nottingham Forest -£23m

Forest is the only ridiculous net spender so far this window (and they had a net transfer income of £10m last year).

The Championship is generally a selling league, and that's still true this transfer window (to the tune of +£60m net income so far this window)

Really interesting, thanks for this. 

I think this puts to bed that teams are spending shed loads more than us without having to sell first. Apart from Forrest, big roll of the dice there it would seem. 

Annoys me how we squandered our parachute money though....

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Doubt that , got a feeling Pope maybe on his way out when fit ...Cannot see Hart on the bench there ..

Edited by Waggy76