BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11464392/blackburn-rovers-tony-mowbray-delighted-with-bargain-signing-of-newcastles-adam-armstrong

Another mention of Mowbray wanting another 4 or 5 incomings, though it seems part of that may be loans from the Premier League.

An interesting quote from the article. I hope to see Armstrong get more opportunities centrally this season. 

"The challenge for Adam is to first of all get into our team in his preferred position, which is down the middle, but I've got great belief in him.

"I know he can score goals, I know the attributes he has, so we just have to provide the ammunition for him and I'm sure he'll finish it off."

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would suggest the recruitment department have been doing some scouting. At the fee mentioned, sounds like a good deal. He is their captain and a full international 

Just watched a YouTube video - he's better than Pirlo. Fantastic.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

I was curious about the net spend of Championship clubs so far given a lot of attention is being paid to the big fees being paid out for merely decent Championship players, yet a lot of these same clubs have taken in quite a large share of transfer fees themselves (e.g. Middlesbrough reportedly getting £18m for Traore today), so they're bound to be spending some of that.

Link: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2018

Note transfermarkt will obviously be incomplete, imperfect, and not 100% up-to-date. So they don't have AV getting £30m+ for Grealish just yet, they won't be counting Norwich paying a couple million in Rhodes' loan fee, etc... As always, wages should be a bigger consideration. Nevertheless...

Parachute payment recipients for some added context: ***£40m, **£25m, *£14m (I think). Ordered by net income.

Swansea*** +£33m

Norwich* +£30m

Aston Villa* +£14m

Middlesbrough** +£13m

Bristol City +£10m

Sheffield United +£6m

QPR +£4m

Brentford +£3m

PNE +£3m

Ipswich +£2m

Sheffield Wednesday +1.5m

Rotherham £0

Bolton -£200k

Millwall -£1m

Wigan -£1m

Blackburn -£2m

Hull** -£2m

Birmingham -£2m

West Brom*** -£3m

Leeds -£4m

Derby -£4m

Reading -£5m

Stoke*** -£7m

Nottingham Forest -£23m

Forest is the only ridiculous net spender so far this window (and they had a net transfer income of £10m last year).

The Championship is generally a selling league, and that's still true this transfer window (to the tune of +£60m net income so far this window)

Interesting however most of the big fees will be split out over a few years like the forest sugnings. It’s the wages which remain a killer. 

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Interesting however most of the big fees will be split out over a few years like the forest sugnings. It’s the wages which remain a killer. 

Yup, definitely. Wages (along with "onerous contracts", as we're well acquainted with!) tend to be the major expense for any club.

Though they can also book most of the profits of a transfer this year, while amortising expenditure over multiple years, which is quite important for FFP purposes...

I was just getting a little irked by the multitude of "they're spending £8m??? HOW?" posts, whilst that team has also sold a bunch of players...

Don't know Wil Trapp well, but Columbus have often been a scrappy club that has punched above their weight wage-wise, so poaching their captain could be a decent move if so! He's also captained the USMNT. Sounds like a legit source that we've made a bid if it's coming from Crew's coach, which does make you think what exactly Mowbray has in mind for our midfield!

• Like 2

• Backroom

Interesting:

"Wil Trapp was outstanding today. I know Higuaín usually gets all the [credit], and their striker Schoenfeld will get credit because he scored two goals. But Wil Trapp was the key…Wil Trapp does his job. He brings the ball out for them and it's difficult to stop...He has, hopefully for him, a good future. He's American, you guys should be happy, but today I thought he was the difference."

—New York Red Bulls striker Thierry Henry after a Columbus victory in October 2014.

• Like 1

Just now, JeffRover said:

Surely we must be offloading a couple of CM’s?

Looking increasingly like Whittingham isn't going to get a sniff. Other than that I'm not sure what else we can do. Smallwood is clearly staying, and first choice to begin with. Whilst I don't get the feeling that Mowbray is that enamoured with Evans, I can't see anyone offering the money which would make it worth our while getting rid. 

4 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Yup, definitely. Wages (along with "onerous contracts", as we're well acquainted with!) tend to be the major expense for any club.

Though they can also book most of the profits of a transfer this year, while amortising expenditure over multiple years, which is quite important for FFP purposes...

I was just getting a little irked by the multitude of "they're spending £8m??? HOW?" posts, whilst that team has also sold a bunch of players...

Don't know Wil Trapp well, but Columbus have often been a scrappy club that has punched above their weight wage-wise, so poaching their captain could be a decent move if so! He's also captained the USMNT. Sounds like a legit source that we've made a bid if it's coming from Crew's coach, which does make you think what exactly Mowbray has in mind for our midfield!

Very much true. The hidden costs can be sell on fees too. 

Traore transfer will see Villa bag a sell on.

Sheff Utd must be licking their lips if Maguire goes. 

Can't imagine this Trapp one is going to happen, sounds like a cheeky offer made that won't be accepted. Being over in the States, needs needs a medical and to sort out a contract all within the space of 2 days... Be cutting it close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Weird.  He's effectively ended his career as a first choice keeper.  Although you would assume Heaton or Pope may go to one of the big guns within the next 12 months.

Both goalkeepers are injured one of them maybe for the season the other a few months which is why they have had to look at Hart.

13 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I always thought deals could be finalised after the deadline as long as a fee was agreed before it? Have I been talking shite?

Paperwork has to be in .Silva at Leicester couldn't play until January last season as his paperwork didn't go through on time so yeah talking shite?