BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

5 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Not seen it anywhere, but has anyone picked up on this Lithuanian lad?

Capture.thumb.PNG.5da26ac13b993ec57625b6e154e5dd69.PNG

Is folk taking the pee with this, every page has a comment about what about this Lithuania lad, isn’t a first team signing so enough already. Like a bad running joke

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm on about Leeds chaos in terms of going bust and ending up in League One which some people seemed to think was about to happen to Villa.

We were also told that due to a toxic combination of their owner running out of cash and FFP rules they would be crippled and forced to sell everyone worth anything to raise funds. That hasn't happened, they're now owned by an Egyptian billionaire and are talking about keeping their best players (rejecting large bids for Grealish and Chester) and as expected the spectre of FFP punishment hasn't materialised.

True, a lot of Villa's supposed difficulties were because their owner couldn't get any more money together and he's ended up selling them to someone else, but FFP was supposedly another massive problem for them - countless newspaper stories about them needing to raise £30 million+ to achieve compliance etc. Hasn't happened. Looks like they're getting a 3rd crack of the whip of massive spending to try and get up. Eventually they will succeed with that sort of money and I've no confidence at all they will be appropriately sanctioned.

Ya, but you are saying clubs don't get punished enough, so why were Leeds punished and not other clubs?

I don't think you can make any claims about Villa being out of the hot water until at least the window is closed. 

Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham are both under sanctions. I would say it's a safe enough bet neither of those 2 will be in the promotion mix. I reckon Hull are too, even though it hasn't been stated. Is that not punishment working? 

If we do go into the season with this squad I think it's incredibly hard to predict how things will go. We've got maybe five top half championship players (Mulgrew, Dack, Lenihan, Graham, Palmer). One or two others who have quality but have struggled in the Championship when they've played (Raya, Armstrong). Rest of the squad is bottom half Championship or relegation standard. 

A few injuries and a bad run of form and we will be struggling. But then again with little cash it's hard to see how we could have done much better.

What we can hold onto is the Championship has shown repeatedly even with mediocre players you can make the playoffs if the team spirit is right and you have luck with injuries. So we can always dream.

Every club seems to be struggling with this early window closure for permanent transfers. 

Don't be surprised to see some highly creative loan deals after tomorrow.

Still think Rovers will be doing business on a permanent basis in the next 26 hours.

I wasn't referring to Leeds being 'punished', I was referring to Leeds plummeting through the Championship and into League One due to financial chaos , something many felt would never happen because they have a lot of supporters. Some were predicting similar for Villa this summer after the gamble failed to pay off.

Correct me if I am wrong on this but I am not aware of a single announcement from The League, Sheffield Wednesday or Birmingham City to say that transfer embargoes are in place for either of those clubs for breaching FFP rules. Birmingham made a statement confirming that they were 'restricted' in what they could do, yet are still allowed to add 5 players and register their £2 million summer signing, so I'm not sure that qualifies as an embargo. Sheffield Wednesday are rumoured to be, heard someone say their Chairman admitted it in a fans meeting this week, but its all Chinese whispers. How come it hasn't been announced on websites etc?

Pretty sure Hull can't be under an embargo given their business this summer. They've spent an estimated £2.5 million on Reece Burke and that winger from Genoa.

Anyone know how binding loan deals can be. As in can the selling club make it 100% that a player will be bought in Jan or could the buying club always wiggle their way out of it or try to change the terms if they underperform? 

Not something I know much about. 

The trapp offer reminded me that I haven't logged in here for a few years.  Since I have seen him play live a few times, I thought I'd give some info.  As a yank, I would love to have an American in the blue and white again.

I rate Trapp somewhat highly, just not sure he is what Rovers need.  He is the classic deep lying center mid type.  Good positioning, breaks up attacks while the opposition has the ball.  Slides deep when we have the ball to allow others to get forward, sprays the occasional long ball well.  To use the US football term, he is a quarterback.

Won't get goals, but won't give possession cheaply.

He is in an odd spot for the US Men's team, as he is kind of in between generations.  They have a great swell of talent in the 19 to 22 yo range, which includes some other D mids.  So, if he meshes well with them, he might even be the National Team captain if they make Qatar.  Or, he could just get bypassed completely, and be the "B-team's" old reliable steady hand in the middle.

Edited by USRoverME
Typos
  • Like 5

Just now, Drover said:

Anyone know how binding loan deals can be. As in can the selling club make it 100% that a player will be bought in Jan or could the buying club always wiggle their way out of it or try to change the terms if they underperform? 

Not something I know much about. 

I cant imagine that is allowed after the deadline, as in essence that is a permanent signing

11 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

I cant imagine that is allowed after the deadline, as in essence that is a permanent signing

But if they are technically on loan until Jan.....

Its like a future performance clause except you could put something like 'play one game and clause activated in january' 

I think it depends on how reliant Mowbray feels he can be on the emergency loan market which will probably be driven by how much is left in the kitty.

For me we should only be willing to get 1 more loan, 2 max, and even then I'm not comfortable with waiting for them until the end of the month when we are 5 games in. I get that we shouldnt panic and bring in someone of inferior quality, but Id like to think Mowbray has all of his targets lined up by now and hes not waiting for something unexpected.

The key deal at the moment is a target man/focal point and I would be dissapointed if that wasnt done by the weekend.

I do feel people expecting 3 or 4 signings by tomorrow may be disapointed, thats my gut feeling. As we are like any team under a budget, I feel like striker, winger and centre back are the main 3 we need, goalkeeper and central midfield less so.

29 minutes ago, neophox said:

Have everyone forgot we got Davenport?

No, I think it's just the fact he's young and unproven that people don't see him as a reliable choice right now and an apparent poor performance against Accrington Stanley seemed to temper expectations. 

• Like 1