BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

30 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Just about every Championship club looking for a striker will try for Abraham end of August. Big risk.

Sam Gallagher seems like a sensible option. We know what he stands for, will chip in with a few goals and can play as on the flank as well. Not a dream signing, but we're not looking to replace Graham...yet.

Don't really understand the sudden love in for Gallagher tbh. He's not good enough imo, you know what You're going to get off him, plenty of honest endeavour but no real presence, either in the air or as a target man, plenty of missed chances and a modest return of around 5 -10 League goals.

I d hope we had someone better in our sights.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't really understand the sudden love in for Gallagher tbh. He's not good enough imo, you know what You're going to get off him, plenty of honest endeavour but no real presence, either in the air or as a target man, plenty of missed chances and a modest return of around 5 -10 League goals.

He's got nothing that really stands out in his game, I agree with you on that. Doesn't utilise his physique enough, but as second fiddle to DG I think he'd be good enough. Loan with a view if he exceeds our expectations would be the sensible move here in my opinion.

Edited by Torgeir

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Freeman had the 3rd highest number of assists in the Championship last year apparently. 

45 games played in the Football League Championship, 5 goals scored and 13 assists.

Only Barry Douglas (Wolves) 14 and Robert Snodgrass (Aston Villa) 14 had a better assists record.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

did he not get 12 for us in an owen coyle team where he was often forced to play on the wing? Tall, strong, powerful runner and can produce something from nothing (wolves at home), im sure mowbray, if given the opportunity, could get the best out of him. He has a lot to learn don't get me wrong, but mowbray seems to like that type of player.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I reckon a good manager will get a tune out of him. To be fair to Mowbray he only had him for a few months. If he saw enough to think there's a player in there then that's ok with me. I also think playing the big fella up top is a hard one to learn. I think Gallagher has probably grown up thinking he can be that archetypal number 9. Running in behind and getting the glory for the goals. When you get a bit older you are able to see what you are good at and you'd like to think he's approaching that now. It's also no coincidence that he's been linked with some good clubs and decent managers. Even in his early days at Southampton he was well thought of by Pochettino. He's a bright lad with his head screwed on. If Mowbray thinks he can teach him when to shoot, when to pass, when to hold the ball up, when to bulldoze through the centre half etc.. then I would be happy to see him come back.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Abso-bleedin-lutely!

Cue however a load of people saying that if we have 4m to spend on Freeman that must mean we have 18m available to spend on a striker. Lol.

Cue you massively backtracking on the fact we are spending money whilst simultaneously trying to move the goalposts to a different continent. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Cue you massively backtracking on the fact we are spending money whilst simultaneously trying to move the goalposts to a different continent. 

Ooo you bitch......

Perhaps we should revisit this conversation when we've spent another £5m or so!

• Like 1

Just now, patrickvalery said:

I reckon a good manager will get a tune out of him. To be fair to Mowbray he only had him for a few months. If he saw enough to think there's a player in there then that's ok with me. I also think playing the big fella up top is a hard one to learn. I think Gallagher has probably grown up thinking he can be that archetypal number 9. Running in behind and getting the glory for the goals. When you get a bit older you are able to see what you are good at and you'd like to think he's approaching that now. It's also no coincidence that he's been linked with some good clubs and decent managers. Even in his early days at Southampton he was well thought of by Pochettino. He's a bright lad with his head screwed on. If Mowbray thinks he can teach him when to shoot, when to pass, when to hold the ball up, when to bulldoze through the centre half etc.. then I would be happy to see him come back.

Good post. Even at £4m, or whatever it is he will cost, we are buying potential. It is then up to Mowbray and his coaching team to make him a player. it's the same with Armstrong, we are just buying potential there too, just like we did with Dack. What all three have in common is that they have good qualities. Dack and Armstrong are both excellent finishers and very good footballers. Gallagher has lots of attributes that made him highly thought of Southampton. All this 'he can't head the ball', 'he can't hold it up' etc is just nonsense. He's a big, quick lad who can play, just like Rudy was a big lad who was devastating in the air but had done the square root of f all before he came to Rovers. Even JAL likes him. 

• Like 2

Can we all just sit back and cast judgement in another 17 hours. If we do indeed spend some money and I dearly hope we do then the fans will be much more positive. Let’s hope for a good deadline day. COYB.

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

The Freeman article made me laugh:

Apparently QPR have a reputation of buying cheap and selling for big profit, they signed Les Ferdinand for £30k and sold him for £6m don't you know....

Yeah, 20+ years ago ?

See Niko Kalinic is now Atletico Madrids new £13m signing and gets to partner Diego Costa and have service from Griezmann, Lemar, Koke, Saul etc. Who saw that coming, honestly.

I still wonder whether he has an identical, more talented, twin

• Like 1

People are talking about Gallagher like he's the finished article... He's 22, he has a lot to learn yet but for someone at that age to bag 11 goals in a Owen Coyle side is good going. If he learns to use his size and starts bagging then all of a sudden he's worth god knows what. 

Be a great signing for us at the right price. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Good post. Even at £4m, or whatever it is he will cost, we are buying potential. It is then up to Mowbray and his coaching team to make him a player. it's the same with Armstrong, we are just buying potential there too, just like we did with Dack. What all three have in common is that they have good qualities. Dack and Armstrong are both excellent finishers and very good footballers. Gallagher has lots of attributes that made him highly thought of Southampton. All this 'he can't head the ball', 'he can't hold it up' etc is just nonsense. He's a big, quick lad who can play, just like Rudy was a big lad who was devastating in the air but had done the square root of f all before he came to Rovers. Even JAL likes him. 

What I meant but written more better!!

We aren't talking about a Chris Brown here. The lad can play. Last time I saw him (with us to be fair), he was very raw. But he looked like he could be a real handful. Not saying he's got the attributes to be a Drogba. But in terms of an investment, it's pretty low risk.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Ooo you bitch......

Perhaps we should revisit this conversation when we've spent another £5m or so!

We've already spent more than you said we would so we can have that chat now if you like. ? Must say though if we splash out £4m on a midfielder and another few million elsewhere I think everyone will be pleasantly amazed. 

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure what the problem is with the window finishing early, everyone knew when the window closed so there's absoluteiy no excuse to be scurrying about at the last minute. If it closed on 31st of August as normal Clubs would still be panicking  at the last minute having tried and failed to play silly buggers with each other. I'd go a bit further and close the window before the season starts so that anyone signed is eligible to play in the opening game. It doesn't matter if the window in Europe closes later, just Don't sell anyone after a certain point.

As for us, we'll have to wait and see if anything happens tomorrow but for me it's a pretty disappointing window if we Don't get at least one wide man and one striker in as we will have overloaded with players in what I regarded as non priority positions and not really addressed the priority areas wide and up front.

Your doubts are easily resolved Rev, you just have to trust Mowbray!   He said he's happy with his budget so it must be so.

If you doubt this you are calling Mowbray a liar which is verboten.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

We've already spent more than you said we would so we can have that chat now if you like. ? Must say though if we splash out £4m on a midfielder and another few million elsewhere I think everyone will be pleasantly amazed. 

If we do splash out, its the least we are owed IMO. Sick to my back teeth of FFP excuses, when other clubs spend every season.

Edited by Bepeja43

Just on the midfield, if we were thinking of maybe playing a 3-5-2 then arguably we'd have

Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Rothwell, Davenport, Palmer, Bennett, Conway, Bell, Travis, Tomlinson, Gladwin Hart and any new signings competing for a midfield slot!

Way overstocked in that area already. Whether the quality is there is another matter entirely and we'll only find that out as the season unfolds.

• Like 1

Unless Saints have someone lined up, I'm surprised they'd let Gally go on loan. It leaves them with Austin, Long and Gabbiadini. Austin is perennially unfit, Gabbiadini and Long far from prolific.

If Gally is going to make it, you'd think they'd be keeping him. Hughesy is a good judge of a forward (Bellamy, Benni Mc, Santa Cruz).

Personally I like the lad, think he's got good potential, but he's getting to the age where he should be the top centre forward, leading the line somewhere.

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

We've spent around £2.5m so far. £1.75m on Armstrong up front and small fees for Rothwell and Davenport.

I wasn't sure we were going to bring in Armstrong granted but at the start of the summer I'd have said we probably needed to lay out about £6m primarily in the forward and wide positions to make us competitive.

Maybe we will by 5p.m. tomorrow.

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Also, not saying it means anything, but Harry Chapman has just uploaded a photo of Danny Graham (who he’s sitting opposite) onto his Instagram story...

That's got to be a deliberate "hint" surely?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just on the midfield, if we were thinking of maybe playing a 3-5-2 then arguably we'd have

Smallwood, Evans, Whittingham, Rothwell, Davenport, Palmer, Bennett, Conway, Bell, Travis, Tomlinson, Gladwin Hart and any new signings competing for a midfield slot!

Way overstocked in that area already. Whether the quality is there is another matter entirely and we'll only find that out as the season unfolds.

Expect Whittingham, Tomlinson, Gladwin and Hart to leave on loan by end of August

Some of the players this club has picked out of obscurity in the last (not so recent) few years. You've got to think between dack, Armstrong, Chapman (if) and Gallagher (if) there's at least one future big player there.

I'm all pro this new transfer policy both on a gambling on success on the pitch front and an investment front. 

One worry with all these bids. Can all these newcomers have been vetted in the personality dept. Ie are they appropriate for the squad dynamic and the happy dressing room that took us so far last season?