K-Hod

Thursday deadline.

Bristol city selling two of their best players with Flint  joining Boro and Bobby Reid close to joining Cardiff.If they don't bring in the right replacements they'll struggle next season 

Just now, islander200 said:

Bristol city selling two of their best players with Flint  joining Boro and Bobby Reid close to joining Cardiff.If they don't bring in the right replacements they'll struggle next season 

Thing is I can see them using that £15 million to go out and sign some real quality, what they won't do is trouser it all and then moan about FFP rules.

Meanwhile how much is that now for Middlesbrough since they were relegated? £50-60 million with Flint and McNair arriving this week? Alright for some, lets see if an embargo ever gets put on them.

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Doubt they’ll struggle, they’ve got a top manager. 

Just now, Tormund said:

Doubt they’ll struggle, they’ve got a top manager. 

He did well last season but I think your being very generous to be calling Lee Johnson a top manager.

He was close to getting the sack the previous season and some Bristol fans are still unhappy with him.

Just now, islander200 said:

He did well last season but I think your being very generous to be calling Lee Johnson a top manager.

He was close to getting the sack the previous season and some Bristol fans are still unhappy with him.

He seems to lurch from one extreme to the other. Last season for the first half they were top 6 pushing the top 2 and knocked Man Utd out of the cup. Then they fell away significantly and only just made a top half finish. Season before they started off reasonably well but fell away and ended up in a relegation battle and he was arguably lucky to keep his job.

Not that Bristol City fans have any reason to complain, the Championship is the top end of the scale for them.

Krapan and Lowe will have two storming games only next season if they are paired in the centre for Horwich FC.

Guess which games they'll be ........

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Chapman tweeted a pic of his passport with the comment "Austria bound". Got excited there, but turns out Boro are off there this weekend 

I have heard that Chapman was due to have a meeting with Mowbray a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason it didn't happen.

17 hours ago, JHRover said:

I look at our forward line, which is the area causing me concern at present. As it stands we've Danny Graham, who does a job yet will be a year older, then we've Dack who we were possibly too reliant on last season who is unproven at Championship level, and then Samuel and Nuttall with question marks over whether they were even good enough for League One. Having waved goodbye to Antonsson, Armstrong and Payne, we're in I would say quite urgent need of work in that area.

This is an area where decent players are in short supply and who generally cost more money than other areas. We need pace and presence up the top end of the pitch, and like it or loathe it they will cost substantial money, unless the plan is to rely on a couple of loans again, which goes against the steady building job talk we've heard because after 6-12 months the loans will need replacing, as we're finding now with last season's gone and seemingly out of reach this time.

Of course there are one or two gems out there like Gestede was for us but in the main even proven League One forwards cost millions - Rhodes, Marriott etc. 

For those saying that the season hasn't started yet and there's plenty of time - I know this. But I'd remind you of our own manager's comments not too long since where he clearly wanted most of his business done by now so they could travel to Austria and 'bed in' with the squad. Listening to managers one of the big things with foreign training camps is the chance for the players, old and new, to go away for a week together, effectively live together, eat together, get used to each other, train together. 

Every season in the last 4-5 years we have started slowly looking disorganised and short in key areas. I want to avoid that this year.

Nailed it with that post. I'd also like to see quality reinforcements all over the pitch who can perform at Championship level but as a first priority I'd agree with you and say we need two strikers who can find the net at Championship level and at least one pacey wide man none of whom will be cheap.

We all know there's still plenty of time of the transfer window left yada yada and TM may be about to pull a number of rabbits out of hats we Don't yet know about but as an outsider looking in the indications from what has transpired to date do not point to enough funding being available or the right calibre of player being brought in.

Conway being retained, Rothwell being signed, apparently we can't afford 2m for the young Charlton centre back or to pursue any serious interest in Armstrong and we Don't appear to have any real interest in either in bringing Chapman back.

I'm not saying the likes of Bauer and Armstrong are necessarily worth £2m and £3m respectively but if those are the players the manager really wants he sbould be backed and for me it does all rather point to us trying to cobble together a side out of 2 and 6, a packet of pork scratchings, a half eaten mars bar and a bunch of loanees like we unsuccessfully tried to do under Coyle.

could have course be completely wrong. Very much hope I am.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

We have relegation fodder written all over us without,at least 4 quality first team signings. Not panicking yet though 

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Nailed it with that post. I'd also like to see quality reinforcements all over the pitch who can perform at Championship level but as a first priority I'd agree with you and say we need two strikers who can find the net at Championship level and at least one pacey wide man none of whom will be cheap.

We all know there's still plenty of time of the transfer window left yada yada and TM may be about to pull a number of rabbits out of hats we Don't yet know about but as an outsider looking in the indications from what has transpired to date do not point to enough funding being available or the right calibre of player being brought in.

Conway being retained, Rothwell being signed, apparently we can't afford 2m for the young Charlton centre back or to pursue any serious interest in Armstrong and we Don't appear to have any real interest in either in bringing Chapman back.

I'm not saying the likes of Bauer and Armstrong are necessarily worth £2m and £3m respectively but if those are the players the manager really wants he sbould be backed and for me it does all rather point to us trying to cobble together a side out of 2 and 6, a packet of pork scratchings, a half eaten mars bar and a bunch of loanees like we unsuccessfully tried to do under Coyle.

could have course be completely wrong. Very much hope I am.

most of the championship clubs haven't made many moves. expect the next couple of weeks to get very busy and some daft rumours in media. 

Mowbray has said he happy with the budget and the way he wants to build the squad and club. 

I wouldn't paid 2 million for Charlton centre back with 12 months left on his contract. 

why has the 3 million pounds come from for Armstrong? I expect we sign him on loan after the permanent signing transfer window. 

Mowbray has said he has spoken with Chapman last week

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

We have relegation fodder written all over us without,at least 4 quality first team signings. Not panicking yet though 

disagree there. 

Millwall didn't make loads of signings last summer but add some good players to there squad and finish top half. I would be very happy with that

Down the years the goalposts have often moved where signings are concerned once the majority of ST's have been sold.

However I still think this season it's mostly down to waiting for the freebie market to kick in.

Have to disagree. This is a better team to the one that was relegated, that’s before any signings- imo obviously.

Id understand that many would disagree but from the performances I’ve watched, and Tony’s influence - even statistically when he inherited a rock bottom broken team from Coyle - even with only a couple of loan replacements, we are a better “team” than that imo.

A lot of that comes from spirit, character and organisation, and obviously id like to see us further up than just merely surviving but I think we are in a better starting point than a few others might.

Just now, Biz said:

Have to disagree. This is a better team to the one that was relegated, that’s before any signings- imo obviously.

Id understand that many would disagree but from the performances I’ve watched, and Tony’s influence - even statistically when he inherited a rock bottom broken team from Coyle - even with only a couple of loan replacements, we are a better “team” than that imo.

A lot of that comes from spirit, character and organisation, and obviously id like to see us further up than just merely surviving but I think we are in a better starting point than a few others might.

Damn right!

Guys are good with Conway and Samuel on the wings and Graham and er Nutall up front?

Guys are good with Conway and Samuel on the wings and Graham and er Nutall up front?

😆

🤤

13 minutes ago, pomster said:

Damn right!

That’s not to say I don’t think the division has moved on a bit in two years, but I’d be quite happy to predict we’d stay up easily if we sign a couple more for key positions, and blood a few more talented youth players into the squad, I think it could be a big year for Travis, Tomlinson, Nuttall, maybe even Platt and Hardcastle.

Improvements in Darragh, Nyambe, Raya - we’ve a real bag of potential quality to add to - even a few key players like Dack and Smallwood are a decent age to develop further.

2 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I think we’d likely start 4231 or a variation with 3 CB’s, which means Conway and Samuel are likely to be the attacking width at current, with Graham, Dack and backup of Gladwin (maybe also Rothwell?) as the other two attackers (number 9 and 10.)

Those positions are the most in need of recruitment for me. Antonsson, Chapman and (mainly) Armstrong played in those wide attacking roles, and they’ve all left.

Id like to see us add at least one more winger who can play left or right, instead of a striker out wide. Listening to sounds from the club, Chapman looks potentially setup and I’d not bet against Armstrong returning later in the window if he isn’t signed by someone else or given more opportunity at NUFC

Back to Rothwell, there may be legs in the stuff from Oxford, about him potentially suiting a more attacking role. The article below suggests he could suit an “modern inside forward from the left” or withdrawn striker, so potentially he would be a wideman in our setup? 

https://eflreference.wordpress.com/2018/06/18/joe-rothwell/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Biz

1 hour ago, lraC said:

I have heard that Chapman was due to have a meeting with Mowbray a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason it didn't happen.

Mowbray said he is desperate to sign, so maybe they did meet 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Thing is I can see them using that £15 million to go out and sign some real quality, what they won't do is trouser it all and then moan about FFP rules.

Meanwhile how much is that now for Middlesbrough since they were relegated? £50-60 million with Flint and McNair arriving this week? Alright for some, lets see if an embargo ever gets put on them.

They’re in massive trouble if they don’t go up this time. They’re already in financial trouble for failing to go up this season, according to Boro fans. 

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Bobby Reid is a terrible buy for a premiership club. 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Yeah I started off saying the 'we are better than the squad we got relegated with' claptrap too, but now I'm starting to get more worried, and the statement carries less and less weight.

The team your comparing it too, was two years ago to the day, and money has been pissing into the division since then, the division has gotten stronger. It's not a fair comparison.

As pleasing as last season was, our performances most of the time were quite poor, but for a solid back line and Raya, and touches of quality we were poor for most of the season. After what happened last time in the championship, along with people like Conway getting retained, I am fearful that we are not going to be good enough.

Yeah I started off saying the 'we are better than the squad we got relegated with' claptrap too, but now I'm starting to get more worried, and the statement carries less and less weight.

The team your comparing it too, was two years ago to the day, and money has been pissing into the division since then, the division has gotten stronger. It's not a fair comparison.

As pleasing as last season was, our performances most of the time were quite poor, but for a solid back line and Raya, and touches of quality we were poor for most of the season. After what happened last time in the championship, along with people like Conway getting retained, I am fearful that we are not going to be good enough.

Your post was reasonable enough until the last paragraph. Performances most of the time were poor? We wouldn't have been promoted if that was the case. Plain and simple. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Your post was reasonable enough until the last paragraph. Performances most of the time were poor? We wouldn't have been promoted if that was the case. Plain and simple. 

Thought the entire post was reasonable. We looked a pretty ordinary side carried by Dack most of the rime imo, even at L1 level.

14 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Spot on especially the money paragraph look at the signings cost 2 years ago to now. Crickey  Forest have just spent 13m on one player. 2 years ago they purchased assambalonga for 5.

Edited by Scotland1