BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Probably, I'm still trying to treat it as a long shot rumour at this point, albeit the detective work a few pages back is getting me a bit excited.

If true, and along with signing Rothwell and especially Davenport, it looks like Tony is trying to put together a team which really goes out to play on the front foot. Maybe not too dissimilar to how Brentford set up when they were first promoted. Remains to be seen if it actually turns out like that, but I like how it appears that there is some attention being played to how we play, which hasn't seemed to be the case since Sam.

The better & quicker our wingers, the more space we'd expect Dack to get, so hopefully this is sort of player we're looking at, even if it doesn't come off.

Building a team to play that way would be a real treat i'm sick of the sit off and let the other side play approach that has been often the norm at Ewood since relegation from the Prem.

Ok you have to at times but if you can mix it up and have the pressing as your core style then even better. 2 holding mids which manager after manager here has seemed to prefer is fine if they are good enough to break play deep and if you have two sharp wingers to get the ball to and counter.

TM mixed it up a bit last season to be fair but not enough for my liking although the people available often dictated it I think, i'e strikers on the wings etc. Time for a proper change.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

Just now, tomphil said:

Building a team to play that way would be a real treat i'm sick of the sit off and let the other side play approach that has been often the norm at Ewood since relegation.

Ok you have to at times but if you can mix it up and have the pressing as your core style then even better. 2 holding mids which manager after manager here has seemed to prefer is fine if they are good enough to break play deep and if you have two sharp wingers to get the ball to and counter.

TM mixed it up a bit last season to be fair but not enough for my liking although the people available often dictated it I think, i'e strikers on the wings etc. Time for a proper change.

Agree, but to be fair I'm all for a pragmatically direct/defensive approach, just so long as it's coherent, planned and part of a blueprint of 'this is how we play'.

I mentioned Brentford, but there are so many clubs that have succeeded way beyond their 'natural level' for parts of the last decade or so. Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Hull, Reading, Swansea, Brighton, B*rnley, Blackpool, Wigan, Cardiff, probably others that I've missed all with spells in the bigtime. There might be the odd cash injection here and there, but it shows what you can do with proper recruitment fitting into a specific culture and way of playing which gets the most out of what you have. As much as I loved Bowyer, I never got the sense that we had an 'identity' beyond being hard working & organised. The less said about anyone else who graced the managerial hot-seat in the meantime the better.

If our days of being big spenders behind us for now, then it's encouraging that we at least are looking as though we're trying to be a bit cleverer in recruitment. If we can do that whilst playing attacking football, then so much the better!

Just now, JHRover said:

West Brom are shelling out 4 million on Kyle Bartley from Swansea. If they are in for Maddison I doubt they'd be haggling over installments.

Plus they bid 9 mill for that Reid from Bristol who went to Cardiff.

I'd be buzzing if we brought in Maddison could see him having a similar impact to Dack.He is more than capable of performing in the Championship.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So it would seem our main targets on permanent deals are ;Chapman, Bauer, Armstrong, Maddison and Roofe. I can't see us signing all of them, so if I had to pick 3 I would go for

Armstrong, Bauer and Maddison. 

Apart from wishful thinking, is there any evidence whatsoever that We're in for any of the above?

(Apart from Bauer, who we 've no chance of landing unless we get part way realistic with our offer)

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

300k doesn't even get you on the negotiating table. It isn't what he is worth at all.

Agreed. Hence my comparison which people laughed at a few weeks ago of offering 1m for Messi.

If Charlton want £2m for the player you'd imagine our opening gambit would have to be in the order of £1m with a view to hopefully landing him for maybe something like £1.25m plus some add ons.

Otherwise We're just wasting ours and Charlton's time instead of pursuing targets we might have a chance of landing.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

2 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Patrick Bauer 300k bid is exceptionally disrespectful, if I was Charlton I’d be livid.

Why? Just because they've valued him irrationally high? I wonder if a League One CH has ever moved for 2 million, let alone with 12 months left on their deal.

Indications around the time our interest was first reported suggested to me that Charlton hugely upped their price suddenly. Just the impression I got reading between the lines.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Why? Just because they've valued him irrationally high? I wonder if a League One CH has ever moved for 2 million, let alone with 12 months left on their deal.

Indications around the time our interest was first reported suggested to me that Charlton hugely upped their price suddenly. Just the impression I got reading between the lines.

Harry Maguire ? Sheff Utd to Hull

There was a also a Bolton player that went to Arsenal for over 2 million (not sure if this was just after they went down to L1)

Slightly stretching it but one just moved this month (so officially league 1) from Sunderland to Boro , Paddy (something) for about 5 million

But yes you are right not many CH's have moved from L1 for more than 2 million, compared to other positions

Edit: List of transfers from League 1 in transfer fee order (going back about 10 years or so it seems) Link

Edited by perthblue02

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Rhodes to Norwich on loan confirmed. Joins up with Hanley and Marshall.

Each and every one of them thought they were going on to much bigger and better things.  They can't be happy with how their careers have panned out.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed. Hence my comparison which people laughed at a few weeks ago of offering 1m for Messi.

If Charlton want £2m for the player you'd imagine our opening gambit would have to be in the order of £1m with a view to hopefully landing him for maybe something like £1.25m plus some add ons.

Otherwise We're just wasting ours and Charlton's time instead of pursuing targets we might have a chance of landing.

A laughable bid was when shef wednesday offered 100k for mulgrew last year!

My opinion is 5-600k is right for a CB with 12 months left in league one, 300k isn't a bad starting point.

If Charlton won't play ball we'll just play the long game like we did with Rothwell and maybe just loan a cb this year.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

All 3 left Rovers and the careers have gone nowhere. 

Will Norwich be top 6 this season we will see. 

Rhodes has won promotion to the Premier League in that time, as did Hanley before going to a solid Championship club and I believe winning player of the year there.

Marshall was a key component in a Millwall team that very nearly got into the play offs.

We have been relegated (and obviously since promoted) to League 1 in that time.

All 3 would get into our team if they were still here.

But yeah, nowhere.

• Like 4

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Rhodes has won promotion to the Premier League in that time, as did Hanley before going to a solid Championship club and I believe winning player of the year there.

Marshall was a key component in a Millwall team that very nearly got into the play offs.

But yeah, nowhere.

The stats and facts say Rhodes' goals dried up and he's been unwanted at his last two clubs. Hanley played a few games for Newcastle and was dropped. Marshall was on loan at Millwall whilst his parent club got promoted. 

King and Cairney on the other hand...

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But yeah, nowhere.

In fairness Rhodes has spent most his time on the bench since he left.

Hanley wasn't a regular at Newcastle but seemed to do ok at Norwich.

Marshall starts off well at clubs but then it goes down hill. 

Will be interesting to see how Norwich do next season and seeing if Rhodes can rediscover his goalscoring form.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Apart from wishful thinking, is there any evidence whatsoever that We're in for any of the above?

(Apart from Bauer, who we 've no chance of landing unless we get part way realistic with our offer)

Linked on Twitter. If we didn't go off what we have got to go off, there would be no discussion 

You seem to want to just throw a million at Bauer to get the move done quickly. In reality we need to be patient and try to get the best deal. That's football and that's business. Not like football manager unfortunately. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked on Twitter. If we didn't go off what we have got to go off, there would be no discussion 

You seem to want to just throw a million at Bauer to get the move done quickly. In reality we need to be patient and try to get the best deal. That's football and that's business. Not like football manager unfortunately. 

I paid 950k on FIFA with 15% sell on clause ..so he's no far off ? wink 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Following on from my Davenport exclusive I bring you this developing story.

Steve Waggott is currently on my train from London, off peak in standard class, what a man, look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves 

#trainbae

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Just now, Tom said:

Following on from my Davenport exclusive I bring you this developing story.

Steve Waggott is currently asleep on my train from London, off peak in standard class, what a man, look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves 

#trainbae

Hope he's got enough for a taxi home when he gets back because no way will Northern Fail turn up ?

• Like 1