BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

I did wonder whether we were back operating on an 'out before in' policy. Someone has to make way before more incomings are authorised. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tomlinson/Wharton head out on loan and then one or two come in the other way shortly afterwards.

We've heard repeated references in the Telegraph (club mouthpiece) about apparently having 25 contracted players which I believe is a conscious attempt to try and convince everyone that our squad is ready or that it is necessary to get rid of people before bringing more in.

Couple of problems there though. That figure of 25 players includes numerous u23s such as Wharton, Travis and Tomlinson who are untested at 1st team level and who spend most of their time in the u23s. On top of that the manager didn't use any of them during our League One season, preferring instead to go with experience. I understand that stance but would also be very surprised if he was going to throw them in now we are a League higher.

Referring to 25 players is well and good if they are all 1st team players but 3-5 of them are not and then we've got the likes of Hart, Caddis and Gladwin who I consider to be surplus to requirements (they were last season so if not this season it is worrying).

So we don't have a squad of 25. We have 25 contracted players but that includes some not good enough and some not tried and tested enough. We also have an obligation to play u23 fixtures. We don't have enough players, certainly not enough who are good enough, but I get the impression that this 25 figure is the threshold for the finance men and they won't want permanent contracts being issued beyond that point.

• Like 2

stating the obvious but:

17/18

attacking options - chapman, Whittingham, Payne, Gladwin, Dack, Bennett, Conway, Graham, Antonson, Samuel, Nuttall, Armstrong

18/19

attacking options - Whittingham, Gladwin, Bennett, Conway, Graham, Samuel, Rothwell, Davenport

Have we really improved on a league 1 squad? Undoubtedly no surely?

Some vast improvement is needed in the transfer market and quickly.

Defence wise, the back four bar Downing has been samey for the past two seasons, and we've conceded 105 goals in 92 games (of which 46 games were against some dire opposition in league 1) - therefore does the back 4 need improving, or is a more settled Lenihan sufficient?

Just now, AAK said:

stating the obvious but:

17/18

attacking options - chapman, Whittingham, Payne, Gladwin, Dack, Bennett, Conway, Graham, Antonson, Samuel, Nuttall, Armstrong

18/19

attacking options - Whittingham, Gladwin, Bennett, Conway, Graham, Samuel, Rothwell, Davenport

Have we really improved on a league 1 squad? Undoubtedly no surely?

Some vast improvement is needed in the transfer market and quickly.

Defence wise, the back four bar Downing has been samey for the past two seasons, and we've conceded 105 goals in 92 games (of which 46 games were against some dire opposition in league 1) - therefore does the back 4 need improving, or is a more settled Lenihan sufficient?

Presumably the majority of those 105 goals conceded where when we were last in the championship?

Since then Mulgrew has played centre back full time rather than in midfield. Lenihan has grown into the centre backs roll and Nyambe has improved also.

We need some attacking options in as a priority minimum 2 wingers and a striker before we go bringing in a centre back imo

I may someone who is pragmatic and patient but I find people want a quick fix of signing a player for the simple tick box exercise of signing a player. We have made 2 signings so far more than most in the championship so far. We have names linked but we knew nothing about rothwell or davenport signing. We could a few hours or days away from a signing no one really knows. We patience is key season and it already seems some patience has already run out before the first kick of the ball. Since when has all journalist articles become the gospel the amount of fake news stories out there created by agents is insane. 

Fundementally none of us know who we will end up with but we have made a start and have also have he loan market open until end of august. Realistically or squad will probably very different than what it is today right now! So breath and chill you may be pleasantly surprised but at least wait until September before panicking!

• Like 1

• Backroom

Smallwoods decent but can’t get too excited about new deals for him and Williams, not players I think we were at risk of losing, Lenihan was a biggy along with Dack 

Edited by Tom

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Experience isnt automatically a good thing. You can be experienced but too old and past your best (see Conway) or you can be experienced enough to have proven yourself as not good enough (for example, Lowe and Akpan have proven themselves to be not good enough for the Championship)

I dont know if McFadzean falls into either of them categories, he might have been Burtons best player, and even if he did join it would be as back up youd think.

Key word in all of that is maybe. Lets hope the signings we make are of a higher calibre than those linked. Im sure they will be. Probably agents putting their players names out to get them a club.

McFadzean played in 42 games last season and majority he was a starter in those games. so doesn't sound pass it to me doesn't? If you look at Burton manager comment about Burton transfer policy this summer is one player must leave before one can come in.

Look at who reported the story. wasn't just anyone but some one who worked at Rovers previously and still hold the club and fans in high regarded. don't see him reporting gossip. do you?

Also can you explained this comment "  Lets hope the signings we make are of a higher calibre than those linked" . like who are you expecting us to sign?

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You did when you claimed the signing of Rothwell proved we had money.

This transfer window is going from bad to worse. No sign whatsoever of the players we actually need in priority positions and now for some God unknown reason We're apparently chasing a 4th choice centre back when Wharton should be getting his chance and Williams can fill in in that position anyway.

yes we do have money as we have signed 2 players for cash but no one did I say we had a war chest of money did I? can you prove I said this about us having a war chest

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Signed for the u23s? Davenport sure as hell isn't, he's a first teamer. Rothwell looks to be a like-for-like for Payne.

Our squad last season was an improvement on the relegated squad, one which Mowbray got more out of anyway and would likely have kept up with one more game.

I don't think we're going down with the current squad, but we need signings to push us into or past midtable.

correct both Rothwell and Davenport will be 1st team squad. 

some people must have thought we were going to spend millions of pounds

On Smallwood, very pleased he signed a new contract and deserved after last season and his performances

I keep seeing this  'we are a League One squad' being banded about. We were way too good for League One; that's why we amassed nearly 100 points.  Chapman (who I want) barely started and then didn't feature for months. Antonsson was generally poor but had a purple patch of goalscoring before long-term injury and losing his place. Armstrong (who took over from Antonsson) made a heck of a difference before his form tailed off at the end of the season (I would like to add him though).  There's plenty of time to get the Chapman and Armstrong deals signed and I have absolutely no doubt that we will add quality via loans.  Regardless, the squad, the attitude and everything Blackburn Rovers is in much better shape than when we were relegated.  I see any additions as pushing us towards the play offs, rather than just keeping us out of the relegation places.

• Like 2

Just now, Pedro said:

I keep seeing this  'we are a League One squad' being banded about. We were way too good for League One; that's why we amassed nearly 100 points.  Chapman (who I want) barely started and then didn't feature for months. Antonsson was generally poor but had a purple patch of goalscoring before long-term injury and losing his place. Armstrong (who took over from Antonsson) made a heck of a difference before his form tailed off at the end of the season (I would like to add him though).  There's plenty of time to get the Chapman and Armstrong deals signed and I have absolutely no doubt that we will add quality via loans.  Regardless, the squad, the attitude and everything Blackburn Rovers is in much better shape than when we were relegated.  I see any additions as pushing us towards the play offs, rather than just keeping us out of the relegation places.

Fair point. I think back to 16/17 and think that squad was poor and wasn't good enough, think that's why a few of us are thinking negatively, but I suppose after Mowbray took over, the last 14 games, if we'd have had that form all season, we would have finished 9th, so that bad season, was very much down to a poor manager in Coyle.

Also I think some of us, myself included had the little bit of excitement (blind probably, but nevertheless) that with momentum and some good additions, we could maybe have a real good season, but the lack of signings I think has put a dampner on that.

• Like 1

Peterborough chairman said the following just now, could it be us?

"The disappointing news today is Gwion has asked for a move & didn't want to come on pre season tour due to Championship club who want to buy him. A fee has been agreed with them & has permission to speak to them. Myself and Manager gutted, did our best to talk him round but - He is adamant about wanting to leave & play in the championship as has been obvious for last couple weeks. He is a great lad but made things clear about this & left me/the club with no choice but to do best deal we can with 10 months left on his contract. Sorry Posh fans. "

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

Just now, AAK said:

Peterborough chairman said the following just now, could it be us?

"The disappointing news today is Gwion has asked for a move & didn't want to come on pre season tour due to Championship club who want to buy him. A fee has been agreed with them & has permission to speak to them. Myself and Manager gutted, did our best to talk him round but - He is adamant about wanting to leave & play in the championship as has been obvious for last couple weeks. He is a great lad but made things clear about this & left me/the club with no choice but to do best deal we can with 10 months left on his contract. Sorry Posh fans. "

Has anyone asked him if it's Rovers? 

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

McFadzean played in 42 games last season and majority he was a starter in those games. so doesn't sound pass it to me doesn't? If you look at Burton manager comment about Burton transfer policy this summer is one player must leave before one can come in.

Look at who reported the story. wasn't just anyone but some one who worked at Rovers previously and still hold the club and fans in high regarded. don't see him reporting gossip. do you?

Also can you explained this comment "  Lets hope the signings we make are of a higher calibre than those linked" . like who are you expecting us to sign?

yes we do have money as we have signed 2 players for cash but no one did I say we had a war chest of money did I? can you prove I said this about us having a war chest

correct both Rothwell and Davenport will be 1st team squad. 

some people must have thought we were going to spend millions of pounds

On Smallwood, very pleased he signed a new contract and deserved after last season and his performances

"so doesn't sound pass it to me doesn't" - Chaddy can you please read what I put before misquoting me. Youve missed my point again, I was saying that in general, experience is not always necessarily advantageous, and gave 2 examples as to when that could be the case, in response to you saying "Experience centre back" 

I then clearly stated "I dont know if McFadzean falls into either of them categories" and showed that  even though his CV is underwhelming, ive not seen enough of him. I never said he is past it, I was replying to a comment that didnt directly related to McFadzean.

"Lets hope the signings we make are of a higher calibre than those linked" - Yep no problem, players like Harrison (a rumour that has been rubbished) dosent have the calibres to suggest that he would improve us, compared to Armstrong, Chapman and Payne who we have lost from last year. 31 year old relegated centre backs dont scream improvement either. Of course id back them and they may do well, but on the face of it, id hope that Mowbray signs players of a higher standard than the likes of those and I have faith that he will.

As you say, Rothwell and Davenport are in the first team squad. We need a few ready made starters, especially wide to improve the 11. Not back ups.

Just now, AdamRochina said:

Hopefully TM has something lined up. . not the Burton defender who is pants according to a few burton fans on Facebook ..

Starting to feel a little worried right now. Hopefully I'm wrong 

Thats what MK.dons said about Downing. And look how that turn out

Obviously plan B after Bauer, seems that ain't happening. Doubtful you'll see Rovers spend a million on a player for a long time. Sounds like we're chucking around change at clubs hoping they're desperate enough to need it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats what MK.dons said about Downing. And look how that turn out

That cant be the barometer for everything. He turned into a good squad player. Just as Whittingham was seen as too good for us and look how that turned out. Judge everything on its own merits.

A promoted squad tends to need to improve just to survive and then consolidate and prosper in the division above. First we need to at least match the quality of the squad we had last year. Davenport gives us more depth in central midfield so thats good. Youd probably say Rothwell is a replacement for Payne, on paper thats Oxfords star man for half of last season for someone who was in and out but at least hes ours to develop. So we still need to replace Armstrong, Chapman and Antonsson with at least equal quality. We lack excitement, flair and pace and its up to Mowbray to get that.

• Like 1