BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

For those wondering what business other clubs have done, this is a pretty comprehensive list.

Surprising amount of clubs that haven't spent anything, at a glance, although where a fee was undisclosed they are counting it as 0. Ours says no expenditure too, but we have spent somewhere from 800k - 1 mill we believe.

4 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Do you think that means a deal between the clubs is agreed and it is now down to Maddison agreeing his pay?

It sounds as though a club activated his release clause quite some time ago, and he was granted permission to speak to a club last week which is why he wasn't on the plane to Portugal. It also sounded as though the club who had met the asking price were still sorting out what sort instalments there would be.

It's been rumbling on for a while, which is a trait associated with Rovers, as is trying to agree cash buys spread over a number of years rather than in one go.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am fully aware of Mowbray's comments about signings and recruitment. I agree we dont want loads of loan players like we had under Coyle. I think 2 loans out 6 signings is fine and nothing to worry about..

Mowbray has a budget and I'm looking he is looking to spend most of it on a striker like Armstrong as a potential target. Im sure they will be others aswell. Plus possibly Chapman permanently if terms are right for us or cheap backup centre back if Wharton leaves on loan. 

Then sign 2 loan players. Kent and Gallagher being those 2. 

So our summer transfer business would be. 

Permanent signings - Rothwell, Davenport, Armstrong(my choice), Chapman or cheap centre back. 

Loan signings - Kent and Gallagher

For me thats would be good transfer window

For me if Kent came in on loan and  Chapman came in permanently or on loan with a view that would give us decent options in the wide positions.

We would then need at least one and ideally 2 quality strikers.  Armstrong and Maddison permanently would probably represent decent business. Gallagher isn't good enough imo.

However this is all pie in the sky at the moment. We haven't got any of them yet and if Kent comes in in isolation then that would mean we've made 3 signings, all of whom would probably come into the "providing competition for places" category as opposed to being obvious first team starters.

We badly need quality acquisitions who will improve the first eleven not just pad out the squad. Particularly in the striking positions.

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

For me if Kent came in on loan and  Chapman came in permanently or on loan with a view that would give us decent options in the wide positions.

We would then need at least one and ideally 2 quality strikers.  Armstrong and Maddison permanently would probably represent decent business. Gallagher isn't good enough imo.

However this is all pie in the sky at the moment. We haven't got any of them yet and if Kent comes in in isolation then that would mean we've made 3 signings, all of whom would probably come into the "providing competition for places" category as opposed to being obvious first team starters.

We badly need quality acquisitions who will improve the first eleven not just pad out the squad. Particularly in the striking positions.

Maddison isn't a striker 

4 hours ago, TruRover said:

Why Maddison? 23 assists and 11 goals last season ( or something like that) which is more goal contributions than dack.  He also spent a couple of months injured at the end I think. Are u really telling me u would prefer Kent or loan to signing Maddison? I think singing 2 out and out wingers is more important than signing two strikers. Fair enough Kent probably  has potential to do well, but young loan players always take a while to get going and his Bristol city reviews which are from his most recent performances are not so encouraging. I would be very dissapoionted if we only signed Armstrong permanently with two loan signings. 

I have already said I would prefer Kent to Maddison. He brings experience of this league in 2 different spells and was Barnsley young player of the year in 2016/17 season. 

After speaking to some Liverpool fans who attend some under 23's games and watch pre season on LFC tv have nothing but good things to say. 

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Wonder if Ivan Toney or Devante Cole would be considered as the backup striker option, think both are available, id take Toney if the price was right.

Mention Toney weeks ago on here. 

Wigan are rumoured to want rid of Cole after 6 months of buying him. Don't think he played much tbh

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Think Carlton Morris would be a good backup striker

not a bad shout tbf. Target man. Not sure if he is still injured

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Why Chapman or a cheap centre back? 2 totally different positions. 

Isnt that more that you dont think that we have that much to spend full stop? Its not much in the scheme of things but could make the difference between being in the thick of a relegation battle and looking upwards.

I am fully aware that they are different positions but all depends on whether Armstrong signs, where Rothwell and Bennett plays, Kent signing here and what formation we used mainly. 

I don't think we have loads of money to spend. Plus @J*B mention what he heard about the budget. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

And you really think we have funds for both Armstrong and Maddison? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I have already said I would prefer Kent to Maddison. He brings experience of this league in 2 different spells and was Barnsley young player of the year in 2016/17 season. 

Not so sure about that at all.

But there is an argument to be made for Kent over Chapman, similar tricky, nippy players (of similar ability at least, I am led to believe) but with less risk re: injuries. I expect it will be one or the other.

Can't just sign for nostalgia all the time!

6 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

He has played at times as a striker, but it is not his primary role.

When did he play as a striker? I see no mention of this online. It names his position as a winger, attacking midfielder and even left back, but no mention of being  a striker. 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

After speaking to some Liverpool fans who attend some under 23's games and watch pre season on LFC tv have nothing but good things to say. 

Chaddy usually enjoy reading your posts. 

However this one is absolutely rubbish. 

Kent hasn't banged within a league. Under 23 is completely different to senior football.

Maddison has effectively completed league 1. 

Whereas Ryan hasn't done anything.

• Like 2

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Chaddy usually enjoy reading your posts. 

However this one is absolutely rubbish. 

Kent hasn't banged within a league. Under 23 is completely different to senior football.

Maddison has effectively completed league 1. 

Whereas Ryan hasn't done anything.

He had a good season in the championship with Barnsley season before last.Played 40 times in all comps and got their young player of the year.

But like you I think it's madness to prefer to sign Kent on loan rather than Maddison on a permanent deal. 

Maddisons stats are much better albeit playing in league one

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Any reason why not? Differing quotes on Maddison ranging up to £2.5 million at the most. Can't see wages being a problem given he's at Peterborough at present.

Armstrong got 2 years left at Newcastle, surplus to requirements, never had a crack at the first team. I don't see how or why Newcastle would demand big money for him given he's never been in their first team plans.

Lets say it would cost £3 million for the pair of them. I've no idea what wages Armstrong is on but again he's a reserve player at Newcastle who has been shipped out on loan for the 3 years so is Mike Ashley going to be paying him mega money?

There's a difference between what we think will happen and what could/should/ought to happen.

Those sort of deals are there to be done and if we're not in that ball park then it is concerning, especially if this is the owners being excited or happy with promotion last season.

I think we ought to be in the market for these sort of players and I think if we can't stretch to the £3 million needed to do it then we're struggling, especially when we look at what rivals are shelling out and factor in Mowbray reckons to be holding money back from January. I also think avoiding such a market and focusing on loans is not only concerning in terms of our future funding prospects but also likely to prevent long term growth and development as it is like building on quicksand.

Just now, islander200 said:

He had a good season in the championship with Barnsley season before last.Played 40 times in all comps and got their young player of the year.

But like you I think it's madness to prefer to sign Kent on loan rather than Maddison on a permanent deal. 

Maddisons stats are much better albeit playing in league one

Kent played 47 times for Barnsley that season including 44 league games scoring 3 goals and 3 assists. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ryan-kent/leistungsdaten/spieler/279457/plus/0?saison=2016

I have explained this before but I will do it again. I like Kent as a player and I have seen him a few times and I like what I see. Plus with the budget we have I would rather spend the most of the money on a striker. I have been clear on this a number of times

• Backroom

Chaddy always knows fans of other clubs that watch reserve football to back up his arguments, you have to admire his connections.

If Kent does come in I’ll hope for the best he’s obviously got some talent it just sounds like it’s not always used.

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Kent played 47 times for Barnsley that season including 44 league games scoring 3 goals and 3 assists. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ryan-kent/leistungsdaten/spieler/279457/plus/0?saison=2016

I have explained this before but I will do it again. I like Kent as a player and I have seen him a few times and I like what I see. Plus with the budget we have I would rather spend the most of the money on a striker. I have been clear on this a number of times

I didn't quote you?I just said in my opinion it's madness to want a loan in Kent rather than a perm in maddison 

You think 3 goals and 3 assists in 47 games is Good?

Do you know the budget?

Btw I have not said I would be unhappy with Kent coming in would just prefer the better player at this moment in time in Maddison 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

• Backroom

Rich Sharpe thinks Kent may not be the first target:

‘believe there's someone ahead of Kent atm, should be bit of info tomorrow’

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Feeney and Ward are off the wage-bill.

We also have the collective loan bill of Harry Chapman, Marcus Antonsson, Rekeem Harper, Adam Armstrong and Jack Payne off the wage structure with only two brought in who won't be on huge wages.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Any reason why not? Differing quotes on Maddison ranging up to £2.5 million at the most. Can't see wages being a problem given he's at Peterborough at present.

Armstrong got 2 years left at Newcastle, surplus to requirements, never had a crack at the first team. I don't see how or why Newcastle would demand big money for him given he's never been in their first team plans.

Lets say it would cost £3 million for the pair of them. I've no idea what wages Armstrong is on but again he's a reserve player at Newcastle who has been shipped out on loan for the 3 years so is Mike Ashley going to be paying him mega money?

There's a difference between what we think will happen and what could/should/ought to happen.

Those sort of deals are there to be done and if we're not in that ball park then it is concerning, especially if this is the owners being excited or happy with promotion last season.

I think we ought to be in the market for these sort of players and I think if we can't stretch to the £3 million needed to do it then we're struggling, especially when we look at what rivals are shelling out and factor in Mowbray reckons to be holding money back from January. I also think avoiding such a market and focusing on loans is not only concerning in terms of our future funding prospects but also likely to prevent long term growth and development as it is like building on quicksand.

We are looking at 2 loans deal and 2 more permanent signings so I don't see the problem or your negativity towards have 2 good loans if these are Kent and Gallagher. Newcastle need to sell before they buy so I would look to strike a deal for Armstrong as soon as possible. around 1 to 1.5 million pounds bid so be enough to secure a deal. But I don't know what his wages are either. 

would I say 2.5 million pounds is a good deal for Maddison? not really for me. No Championship experience. 

Long time reader, rare poster here,

I had to sign in to ask especially. Is 'chaddy' ACTUALLY saying he prefers the prospect of signing Kent on loan above the permanent signing of Maddison? This has to be a wind up. Almost like he has to stick to his story because he is in too deep.

Secondly, just to throw my two cents in - Poor window so far but I haven't quite reached panic mode yet. Agree with most of you on here who agree that we need 2 strikers, 2 wingers and a back up CB. and I echo most in here that suggest Armstrong, Maddison and Chapman. However, I am yet to be sold on having Gallagher back again and at the same time I don't know too much about Bauer. £2mil seems like a lot but having done some research, wouldn't be opposed to a cheaper deal.

• Like 5

At the end of the day the argument is simple: if Kent arrives instead of Maddison then it is obvious we missed out on plan a and went to the plan b. Although, seemingly, Kent isn't even plan b now but is plan c based on Sharpe's tweet.

Ryan Kent may have/may do turn out to be a good player but there is absolutely no logic in the world whatsoever that dictates he would be a better acquisition than a player that has proven over the space of 3 years he can set up and score goals. I don't care who watches LFCTV or watches U23 matches the records speak for themselves.

This has to be the end of it. If we end up with Kent then ok, we've got a decent player and I hope he does well but he's by no means our first choice. That in itself speaks volumes.

• Like 1

Just now, Ruaney said:

Long time reader, rare poster here,

I had to sign in to ask especially. Is 'chaddy' ACTUALLY saying he prefers the prospect of signing Kent on loan above the permanent signing of Maddison? This has to be a wind up. Almost like he has to stick to his story because he is in too deep.

No its not a wind up. I am open and honest person who posted what he thinks. 

I want Kent here. But I have explained my view and not going over again

Just now, Tom said:

Chaddy always knows fans of other clubs that watch reserve football to back up his arguments, you have to admire his connections.

If Kent does come in I’ll hope for the best he’s obviously got some talent it just sounds like it’s not always used.

I worked in Haydock, Merseyside and there is quite a lot of Liverpool fans who work for the company. So you get talking about football and discussing things

I didn't quote you?I just said in my opinion it's madness to want a loan in Kent rather than a perm in maddison 

You think 3 goals and 3 assists in 47 games is Good?

Do you know the budget?

Btw I have not said I would be unhappy with Kent coming in would just prefer the better player at this moment in time in Maddison 

my apologises. 

Stats can be very misleading. I don't rate Ozil at all and think he is lazy but his goals and assists stats are very good. 

J*B posted what he had heard about the budget and I have no reason not to believe him

Wharton has signed a new 3 year deal

good news. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Given we've been looking at Bauer I would expect him to go out on loan to League One or Two this season.

I hope we keep him in the squad and not loan him out again.