Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Stalker returns

Just a bit of banter Chaddy, like I said I follow you on twitter not on the streets. (Anymore) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the LT article TM clearly blaming player wage demands for hold-ups/lack of success.

Greedy players or inadequate budget?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope I'm wrong but pretty sure we aren't the club in for Maddison, feels like loans are the main focus atm which is concerning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

No point signing players If they aren't going to improve what we ave.  Under 23s can plug gaps.  

If they weren't aware of the expected fees and wages of players they were interested in, then clearly the scouting system isn't working.

Do you really think it's as simple as knowing the fee and wages before going for a player? Wow. It's so simple. Why does practically every transfer drag on I just don't know. You should be our Head of negotiations :) before you inevitably get poached by Madrid of course :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 47er said:

Reading the LT article TM clearly blaming player wage demands for hold-ups/lack of success.

Greedy players or inadequate budget?

Every team has an inequadequte budget when it comes to dealing with players agents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a random name throw but looking at that Man City squad list, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jack Harrison. Signed from New York City F.C. in January and was loaned out to boro straight away. Lad grew up around Darwen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 47er said:

Reading the LT article TM clearly blaming player wage demands for hold-ups/lack of success.

Greedy players or inadequate budget?

There are clubs in the championship who are spending crazy money this summer, some with parachute payments some without.  Unfortunately for us this has had a trickle down effect in that what we thought would be a reasonable budget is now being stretched.  The hope is that as we get closer to the deadline it will focus people's minds and deals with get done and a more realistic level.  

Priority has to be to get permanent deals done first as window closes 5pm on 9th August.  Loans we can worry about later as that window is open until 31st August.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kamy100 said:

There are clubs in the championship who are spending crazy money this summer, some with parachute payments some without.  Unfortunately for us this has had a trickle down effect in that what we thought would be a reasonable budget is now being stretched.  The hope is that as we get closer to the deadline it will focus people's minds and deals with get done and a more realistic level.  

 

But isn't what was a 'realistic level' 3, 4 years ago, now something else entirely? The Championship has moved on and if we are not careful we will be left well behind (if we haven't already).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16363040.rovers-season-ticket-update-as-liverpool-sales-top-10000/?ref=mac

Waggott talks about season tickets and transfers

“I think we’re up to circa 9,000 and I am aiming for 10,500,” Waggott said of season ticket sales.

“The statistics are quite interesting in terms of new supporters coming back and returning ones from the 2011/12 season. I look at all the trends of how we’re doing and I think with a few more to renew, we can hit that target.

“I’m hoping we can add to that with the announcements we’re going to make and with the targets Tony has got, which are very exciting, but the market is very competitive.

“We’ve been working hard, but players not yet coming back, the World Cup has added more complexities but as I’ve said to Tony, we’ve got to hold firm.”

Seems to me from reading that they are hopeful of some signings to attract more season ticket sales which in turn would lead to thinking we are still hopeful of getting some good players in and that leaves me more optimistic.  The 'hold firm' line though might mean we have to be patient.

 

Edited by Blueandwhitemike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

But isn't what was a 'realistic level' 3, 4 years ago, now something else entirely? The Championship has moved on and if we are not careful we will be left well behind (if we haven't already).

Absolutely Matt but it does seem that this summer in particular the level has gone up much faster than previously.  We had Wolves last year paying crazy money but the rest of the league was fairly sensible so things remained relatively controlled.

Personally I would rather they carry on doing what we are doing in that we only spend what we can realistic afford to do so, it might not be very exciting but hopefully it will lead to the debt being slowly being reduced and our medium term future being a little bit more secure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BG1492 said:

Bit of a random name throw but looking at that Man City squad list, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jack Harrison. Signed from New York City F.C. in January and was loaned out to boro straight away. Lad grew up around Darwen.

This makes sense. Attacking quick winger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have patience. TM is the most sensible manager at Rovers since Allardyce. He wants hungry players who wants to succed at Rovers. Davenport and Rothwell are fine examples. He also wants to shift some players out. Wait and see. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Player transfer values and wages have been on the up in the Championship for quite a few years. Refer back to QPR and Leicester.

With increasingly wealthy clubs being relegated from the PL, with increasing money in the Championship from media rights and by natural progression the up trend will continue until and unless an overall implosion occurs by media money input falling - unlikely and forcast to rise.

If I can see that so can the likes of Waggot. It has not caught anyone by suprise.

Final judgement on Rovers performance in this window is reserved until it closes, and I don't mean the loan window!

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The article in the Telegraph is concerning, mention that we want to add at least 2 attacking players. Truth is we need 4!

A lot of focus on loans when Tony was on record saying he didn’t want that.

Really concerning, we could start the season with Conway in line for a starting spot which would be disastrous really.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom said:

The article in the Telegraph is concerning, mention that we want to add at least 2 attacking players. Truth is we need 4!

A lot of focus on loans when Tony was on record saying he didn’t want that.

Really concerning, we could start the season with Conway in line for a starting spot which would be disastrous really.

Do the telegraph and Sharp know that much though?Yeah they hear names or whatever but it's been many years since the telegraph had a genuine exclusive. 

I found the article a bit pointless today,no names mentioned. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, neophox said:

Also look at the ridiculous spending by Nottingham, £25m spent this window. 

Its not ridiculous if they get promoted off the back of it. Its a calculated gamble. If it pays off the rewards are vast, if they fail then they 'might' get into trouble with the authorities, or more likely they'll just have to sell a couple and carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Player transfer values and wages have been on the up in the Championship for quite a few years. Refer back to QPR and Leicester.

With increasingly wealthy clubs being relegated from the PL, with increasing money in the Championship from media rights and by natural progression the up trend will continue until and unless an overall implosion occurs by media money input falling - unlikely and forcast to rise.

If I can see that so can the likes of Waggot. It has not caught anyone by suprise.

Final judgement on Rovers performance in this window is reserved until it closes, and I don't mean the loan window!

Our signing of Rhodes was one of the first 'mega' signings for a Championship club. Most clubs haven't reached that level yet but spend a few million here and there on players.

We can plead poverty and come high and mighty about 'holding firm' in a difficult market. Reality is we've had 2 massive advantages over most clubs in the last 5-6 years. One being we had parachute cash but wasted most of it, the other being we had £30 million+ of players which we sold and banked the dosh.

Most clubs haven't had both of those luxuries and yet have ended up in a stronger state than we are in. The benefits of sensible management!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Do the telegraph and Sharp know that much though?Yeah they hear names or whatever but it's been many years since the telegraph had a genuine exclusive. 

I found the article a bit pointless today,no names mentioned. 

Whether exclusive articles or not I find Rich Sharpe to be one of the better ones covering Rovers from the LT in recent years, he still has copy to write , you get pieces like this with no names, on the other hand because of his relationship with the club maybe they have asked for the name to be withheld in case others start sniffing around the player.

I rather that than another riddle from the gatekeeper of the transfers which if questioned, he uses his mighty hack powers to send you to fudsville

Edited by perthblue02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, perthblue02 said:

Whether exclusive articles or not I find Rich Sharpe to be one of the better ones covering Rovers from the LT in recent years, he still has copy to write , you get pieces like this with no names, on the other hand because of his relationship with the club maybe they have asked for the name to be withheld in case others start sniffing around the player.

I rather that than another riddle from the gatekeeper of the transfers which if questioned, he uses his mighty hack powers to send you to fudsville

Don't get me wrong I like Sharp but the let is not a paper for exclusives.And to be fair the let is the same old stories rehashed over and over again.

I mean come on at least give us a name in that article today.I could understand if it was a perm deal and they where trying to keep it under wraps but it's a loan move and I'm sure most clubs will already know what players city are willing to loan out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need 2 wide players and 1 striker minimum. At least 2 of those need to have pace and preferably be permanent signings. Fingers crossed that we can pull something out of the bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can understand why people are so underwhelmed and frustrated.

I do agree with @chaddyrovers (minus the irony) that the article is a bit pointless without a name but whoever this supposed player is, its going to be a really raw untested one, almost certainly on loan.

The quotes in the article from Mowbray are the biggest take out in that he seems to be getring frustrated. It seems we are not shopping in a competitive market, the 2 signings weve made, whilst Davenport im quite happy with neither will improve the first team loads and I would expect both to be subs maybe initially.

As mentioned we need more than 2 attacking players. If we dont sign some quality it will be a long season at the bottom and the momentum will soon be lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.