BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, yellowsubmarine said:

Like Armstrong but 3 mil seems abit too much for us.

I'm there as well. Good player, but £3 Million is steep for him.

Just now, K-Hod said:

I'm there as well. Good player, but £3 Million is steep for him.

I'm not sure it is in todays market.

Even if he only just about hit double figures for us in each of the next couple of seasons, at his age and with his pure pace you could easily see us making three times that amount on him in 12/24  months.

Minimum requirement is a Striker and a Winger, both who are able to go straight into the team if needs be, then i'm confident we will stay up. Ideal would be 2 Wingers a striker and someone like Armstrong who you could use out wide and up top and also has raw pace.

I had been more concerned about getting Pace out wide but actually the striker issue is more pressing. We can't guarantee Graham being in top form and being able to play 75 mins every game from now until January. Just won't happen, he's got a bad record with injuries, it takes him a while to get going (get fit enough) at the start of the season, He's not getting any younger and his lack of mobility is going to be more of an issue for us in this league. That means we'd be relying on Samuel whose couldn't score in League 1 and the manager doesn't trust up front. Nuttall who isn't ready for this level yet. Dack plays like a second striker at times so you need someone who can bring him into play.

I know a few on here have been quite negative about Resigning Sam Gallagher on loan but I'd be all over a loan to buy deal for him. Hes got the raw tools to be a good striker, he had decent pace, he's tall, he can head (albeit when he's unchallenged) and he's got the right attitude. He's got a lot improving to do but I think he'd a be a more mobile target man option.

Wingers - I'd take Chapman back at the right price. I was led to believe that Armstrong hold up is his wage. Maddison would be great if its within budget.

• Like 3

I think a lot of people underestimate that our biggest problem might not be the transfer fee, but wages. A player like Armstrong is probably on double of our highest earner which won't work. We're not paying the Leon Best's of this world 30k a week anymore and need to keep a sustainable model which is also fair to the rest of the group. I think a major problem Mowbray is facing is that the agent's demands are too rich at the moment. Some of his comments are proof of that.

Given that we probably have a wage structure that is at best mid championship it's not realistic to buy established higher earning players. Trying to find the next Bradley Dack is probably gambling on a League One/Two player or going abroad. You can probably buy almost anyone here in Norway for less than a million including seasoned internationals, although I reckon only a handful have the potential to make an impact.

• Like 3

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Minimum requirement is a Striker and a Winger, both who are able to go straight into the team if needs be, then i'm confident we will stay up. Ideal would be 2 Wingers a striker and someone like Armstrong who you could use out wide and up top and also has raw pace.

I had been more concerned about getting Pace out wide but actually the striker issue is more pressing. We can't guarantee Graham being in top form and being able to play 75 mins every game from now until January. Just won't happen, he's got a bad record with injuries, it takes him a while to get going (get fit enough) at the start of the season, He's not getting any younger and his lack of mobility is going to be more of an issue for us in this league. That means we'd be relying on Samuel whose couldn't score in League 1 and the manager doesn't trust up front. Nuttall who isn't ready for this level yet. Dack plays like a second striker at times so you need someone who can bring him into play.

I know a few on here have been quite negative about Resigning Sam Gallagher on loan but I'd be all over a loan to buy deal for him. Hes got the raw tools to be a good striker, he had decent pace, he's tall, he can head (albeit when he's unchallenged) and he's got the right attitude. He's got a lot improving to do but I think he'd a be a more mobile target man option.

Wingers - I'd take Chapman back at the right price. I was led to believe that Armstrong hold up is his wage. Maddison would be great if its within budget.

Gallagher for me would be a no-brainer if possible. Got double digits last time here and there are very few if any other options that can say the same. He's got pace, is mobile and decent header. Had good time here, would fit the dressing room and knows the manager.

I can see why people wants us to be more ambitious in our spending, but so does my wife. Sometimes you need to set the expectations to a realistic level of your resources.

• Like 1

Just now, AAK said:

Sounds like it's Derby in for Maddison and not us. I really do worry then, I don't know what our plans are.

Where did you get Derby from?

Derby would be a bit strange given that they've already signed or loaned Harry Wilson, that off mid from Chelsea and just bought that winger from Brentford.

Edited by briansol

32 minutes ago, Biz said:

I think that’s a bit of assumptious, if I’m honest. I don’t think that the owners will have much interest/say in the transfers of the club anymore, and I’m quite sure they wouldn’t have preference for permenant or loan.

If they did, surely they’d be more likely to stretch the permenant? Chance for regaining fees? As opposed to a nominal loan fee and wages that can’t be recouped?

Im now in the camp that believes the owners input is barely more than signing quarterly cheques. I also think this will work if they’re happy to keep the top facilities and academy running and still allow a modest “building” budget.

I can live without us spending more than 1m in fees or big wages IF we can find young, hungry and potential improving options. That takes time, hence why I’m still relaxed.

I still think this squad will go into the season in a better place than the one that was 3-0 down to Norwich in our previous championship opener! 

Complacency personified.

Just now, briansol said:

Where did you get Derby from?

his latest interview (boro chairman) says they've rejected 3 Derby bids and talks still ongoing (apparently, the full interview not viewable yet)

Just now, Biz said:

Good, because you shouldn’t...!

Fair point, it's just usually by now we have an idea of who we are looking for in terms of calibre and how that would fit in to how we would play, but I am just hearing cheap inexperienced loans. Hopefully that is not the case.

Just now, AAK said:

his latest interview (boro chairman) says they've rejected 3 Derby bids and talks still ongoing (apparently, the full interview not viewable yet)

Ah, thanks. All our speculation for nothing I guess. 

25 minutes ago, Biz said:

I think that’s a bit of assumptious, if I’m honest. I don’t think that the owners will have much interest/say in the transfers of the club anymore, and I’m quite sure they wouldn’t have preference for permenant or loan.

If they did, surely they’d be more likely to stretch the permenant? Chance for regaining fees? As opposed to a nominal loan fee and wages that can’t be recouped?

Im now in the camp that believes the owners input is barely more than signing quarterly cheques. I also think this will work if they’re happy to keep the top facilities and academy running and still allow a modest “building” budget.

I can live without us spending more than 1m in fees or big wages IF we can find young, hungry and potential improving options. That takes time, hence why I’m still relaxed.

I still think this squad will go into the season in a better place than the one that was 3-0 down to Norwich in our previous championship opener! 

Not sure it's assumptious when it's based on hard evidence there's plenty examples all down the years of them okaying wages of not so cheap loan signings but being asked to sign off maybe 3/400k in one go as down payment on guys maybe costing upwards of a million not so much Dack aside in recent times, certainly not after the parachutes dried up.

One signing like that per season would do me as in a regular decent investment which might have a return in time then other incomings made up the usual way. Slow steady build within a sensible budget but it's a fine balancing act, carry on as started last season and dip the hand in the pocket a little deeper for at least one player with a bit of quality or quickly revert to type and spread a few hundred grand across a few bodies because you are desperate for numbers.

I'm sure Waggot is now staring this problem in the face.

Funny how some fans are saying we shouldn't spend 3 million on Armstrong, yet are complaining we don't pay over the odds to sign other players quickly, like the centre half from Charlton. You would swear some fans would never be happy. 

In today's market 3 million for Armstrong is a no brainer. No sell on clauses on top of that though. If they want a 20/25% sell on clause, the fee should be 1.5 million max 

• Like 1

Just now, AAK said:

Bollocks. I'd got excited. He led us up the garden path then, unless we did bid at some point.

Agree 3 million is not much in todays inflated market. Young player that will only increase in value and if we dont snap him up, can see somebody else having no problem shelling out that amount. Only issue as others have said is his wages - anyone know what he would be on at Newcastle?

Just now, AAK said:

He said Maddison was discussing personal terms with a club last week. If they have rejected 3 bids from Derby, it wouldn't make sense it was them. 

Just now, AAK said:

He has done an interview. Full.interview out this afternoon.

But I didnt see anyone mention Derby in for Maddison tho.

Can someone tell me who has seen him alot what Maddison's strengths and weaknesses are please? Thanks in advance

Putting Maddison to one side. We cannot compete with the likes of Derby and Norwich (!!!) in the transfer market these  days. Crowds of 25,000 every season and thay consistently spend millions of pounds and pay big wages. The second tier has tranformed itself into a city league, much different than it was 15-20 years ago.

Doesn't mean we can't compete at this level, look at PNE and Brentford as two examples, but we aren't going to be winning bidding wars with a good number of Championship clubs

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He said Maddison was discussing personal terms with a club last week. If they have rejected 3 bids from Derby, it wouldn't make sense it was them. 

He would probably be allowed to discuss terms if the deal is close. I'm led to believe Maddison had a release clause and Derby hasn't offered enough upfront yet.

18 minutes ago, briansol said:

I think a lot of people underestimate that our biggest problem might not be the transfer fee, but wages. A player like Armstrong is probably on double of our highest earner which won't work. We're not paying the Leon Best's of this world 30k a week anymore and need to keep a sustainable model which is also fair to the rest of the group. I think a major problem Mowbray is facing is that the agent's demands are too rich at the moment. Some of his comments are proof of that.

Given that we probably have a wage structure that is at best mid championship it's not realistic to buy established higher earning players. Trying to find the next Bradley Dack is probably gambling on a League One/Two player or going abroad. You can probably buy almost anyone here in Norway for less than a million including seasoned internationals, although I reckon only a handful have the potential to make an impact.

sort of agree but I also do think that it's complicated by not wanting to pay more for incoming (and younger) players than the established pros already here. When the pros think of themselves of a standard as better or on par with what's incoming (whippersnappers). It might all be Mowbray's philosophy.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The player in question was Marriott now Maddison. Here that bit

?

Watch the full interview with @DMAC102 later today ...

#PoshInPortugal?? https://t.co/CjQUQcm2dQ