Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Yeh, just having a look and there is just him and Lewis Grabban who have been sold for around the £7 million mark, so must be one of them two you would think, as you would think it would be a player who's in the championship.

Was looking at Bolton's transfers, they don't seem to have done to bad to say they have no money, Magennis irish international, Donadlson an established decent champ striker not overly exciting but a decent player, Oztumer good signing, Hobbs is a good centre back, Pritchard plenty of potential from Spurs and Wilson, if he can stay injury free would be an astute signing and Olkowski a Polish international with 13 caps.

 
27 Northern Ireland Centre-Forward   Charlton Athletic England  Charlton 225 Th. €
 
28 Poland Right-Back   1. FC Köln Germany  1. FC Köln Free Transfer
 
26 England Defensive Midfield   Birmingham City England  Birmingham Free Transfer
 
34 Jamaica
England
Centre-Forward   Sheffield United England  Sheffield Utd. Free Transfer
 
17 England
Ireland
Right Midfield - Everton FC U18 England  Everton U18 Free Transfer
 
27 England
Turkey
Attacking Midfield   Walsall FC England  Walsall FC Free Transfer
 
29 England Centre-Back   Nottingham Forest England  Nottm Forest Free Transfer
 
20 England Right-Back - Arsenal FC U23 England  Arsenal U23 Free Transfer
 
21 England Central Midfield - Tottenham Hotspur U23 England  Tottenham U23 Free Transfer
 
30 Ireland
Northern Ireland
Centre-Back   Sunderland AFC England  Sunderland Free Transfer

Magennis, Donaldson and Lowe are all pony but the rest of those signings look interesting. Hobbs looked like he could be a real player when he was younger but is still only 29 so could be an astute signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I agree we need a niggly, Speedie/Dickov type.

Re the chicken dance, somebody I know says that in the days before that Rovers game, Garner was in the De Lacy, going on about how he was going to celebrate in that way, if he scored at Ewood....

I had no idea that it was something he did every time he scored throughout his career...

If he does sign for Rovers and starts to do that every time he scores, I guess we will be calling it post irony!

We need somebody with size and presence up front more than we need a Garner type. Speedie wasn't playing up there on his own. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DE. said:

The problem is that if Mowbray was referring to Chapman and Armstrong as "D" signings, then it's going to make it a bit underwhelming if we do end up signing them as the thought will now be that we could have gotten better but for whatever reason didn't. It might also make it harder to sign either Chapman or Armstrong if they don't think Mowbray rates them and know they'd be coming in as "last resort" signings. Not sure it's necessary to put stuff like this out in public, unless Mowbray is very confident we will get better.

A gamble for sure.  Two players that offer directness and pace.  Both with young England honours and integrated very well with the rest of the squad but unproven at champ level.  I doubt they are deals that we would ever lose money on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange and poor interview from Mowbray in my opinion, don’t understand what he has to gain from it. It seems like he has trouble to not try to explain himself when he’s getting a bit of stick, he’s too honest.

The only thing he could gain from saying something like this is to reduce the price of Armstrong/Chapman but then I’m not sure how they’d take being the D choice (unless he’s telling the two of them something different in private).

I’d rather he just keep his mouth shut if I’m honest, the top managers don’t tell the press what their A, B, C, and D choices are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I agree we need a niggly, Speedie/Dickov type.

Re the chicken dance, somebody I know says that in the days before that Rovers game, Garner was in the De Lacy, going on about how he was going to celebrate in that way, if he scored at Ewood....

I had no idea that it was something he did every time he scored throughout his career...

If he does sign for Rovers and starts to do that every time he scores, I guess we will be calling it post irony!

Garner is what's commonly known as a shithouse Len.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Magennis, Donaldson and Lowe are all pony but the rest of those signings look interesting. Hobbs looked like he could be a real player when he was younger but is still only 29 so could be an astute signing.

That list of signings looks very similar to the Coyle summer list when we went down. Some might turn out ok like Mulgrew. They have a better manager then Coyle, and they will probably have more fight than quality.  Magennis is an awkward customer, though never prolific. Otzumer has quality, but I'm not sure how he fits in in Parkinson's tactics. He couldn't get the best out of Armstrong so I have my doubts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Igloo5090 said:

Is Abel Hernandez still available?

Think so, but we could never afford those wages which was the reason he couldn't agree a new contract. Far too good for Championship so I reckon he will have a payday in China or somewhere exotic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, briansol said:

Think so, but we could never afford those wages which was the reason he couldn't agree a new contract. Far too good for Championship so I reckon he will have a payday in China or somewhere exotic.

He’s only 26 though would he go to China now? Be a great signing that but obviously very doubtful 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Strange and poor interview from Mowbray in my opinion, don’t understand what he has to gain from it. It seems like he has trouble to not try to explain himself when he’s getting a bit of stick, he’s too honest.

The only thing he could gain from saying something like this is to reduce the price of Armstrong/Chapman but then I’m not sure how they’d take being the D choice (unless he’s telling the two of them something different in private).

I’d rather he just keep his mouth shut if I’m honest, the top managers don’t tell the press what their A, B, C, and D choices are.

I didn't read it as they being on the D list. Appearantly they where very much in the mix so they could be anywhere from lower on the B list all the way to D. It was clear that he was aiming higher which is interesting as those two are highly rated among the supporters. He does set himself up for a bit of failure if we don't land them or someone better though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Strange and poor interview from Mowbray in my opinion, don’t understand what he has to gain from it. It seems like he has trouble to not try to explain himself when he’s getting a bit of stick, he’s too honest.

The only thing he could gain from saying something like this is to reduce the price of Armstrong/Chapman but then I’m not sure how they’d take being the D choice (unless he’s telling the two of them something different in private).

I’d rather he just keep his mouth shut if I’m honest, the top managers don’t tell the press what their A, B, C, and D choices are.

The man can’t win can he. Some fans are on twitter begging Rich Sharpe to see if Mowbray has said anything about signings. Other fans would rather him keep his mouth shut. And contrary to what you say, Mowbray does not mention the names of any players at all in his quotes either today or in previous interviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Strange and poor interview from Mowbray in my opinion, don’t understand what he has to gain from it. It seems like he has trouble to not try to explain himself when he’s getting a bit of stick, he’s too honest.

The only thing he could gain from saying something like this is to reduce the price of Armstrong/Chapman but then I’m not sure how they’d take being the D choice (unless he’s telling the two of them something different in private).

I’d rather he just keep his mouth shut if I’m honest, the top managers don’t tell the press what their A, B, C, and D choices are.

Agreed. I'd be happy to have Armstrong and Chapman here as I think the pair of them would bolster the squad nicely, but I'm not sure there needs to be any suggestion we're aiming higher. Obviously if we are then that's great, but there's just no need to say it publicly. We just need to do as we usually do under Mowbray and get our business done under the radar. Should we make a couple of even better signings then that's fantastic, if we do end up with Armstrong and Chapman then most of us would be perfectly happy with that. The only frustration would be if we ended up with nobody, or more loaned youngsters as in the 16/17 season who either aren't able or aren't willing to contribute enough.

As it stands I trust Mowbray to ultimately get it right. I'll be anxious until the end of the window, though, as the owners have screwed us and other managers over so many times in the recent past. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Agreed. I'd be happy to have Armstrong and Chapman here as I think the pair of them would bolster the squad nicely, but I'm not sure there needs to be any suggestion we're aiming higher. Obviously if we are then that's great, but there's just no need to say it publicly. We just need to do as we usually do under Mowbray and get our business done under the radar. Should we make a couple of even better signings then that's fantastic, if we do end up with Armstrong and Chapman then most of us would be perfectly happy with that. The only frustration would be if we ended up with nobody, or more loaned youngsters as in the 16/17 season who either aren't able or aren't willing to contribute enough.

As it stands I trust Mowbray to ultimately get it right. I'll be anxious until the end of the window, though, as the owners have screwed us and other managers over so many times in the recent past. 

There is no evidence that we are going to end up with nobody or loan 4 more players into the club. Mowbray said "we know we can get our D targets" in a permanent signing context so while we'd all like to get the best players possible, the chances of signing nobody are remotely slim and not worth the discussion really.

Edited by JeffRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JeffRover said:

There is no evidence that we are going to end up with nobody or loan 4 more players into the club. Mowbray said "we know we can get our D targets" so while we'd all like to get the best players possible, the chances of signing nobody are remotely slim and not worth the discussion really.

I sincerely hope you're right. Fingers crossed we start the season with Armstrong, Chapman and a few other players of genuine quality to really give this squad competition for places and a bit of much needed depth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

If we signed Armstrong and Chapman I’d suggest most Rovers fans would be happy.

So them being our D options means that either way we should end up being very happy by Aug 9th

Happy Rovers fans?? I've heard it all now 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Happy Rovers fans?? I've heard it all now 😁

Just trying to spread some love pal 😊🤣🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Strange and poor interview from Mowbray in my opinion, don’t understand what he has to gain from it. It seems like he has trouble to not try to explain himself when he’s getting a bit of stick, he’s too honest.

The only thing he could gain from saying something like this is to reduce the price of Armstrong/Chapman but then I’m not sure how they’d take being the D choice (unless he’s telling the two of them something different in private).

I’d rather he just keep his mouth shut if I’m honest, the top managers don’t tell the press what their A, B, C, and D choices are.

Would it not be daft to publically say they were top of our list if we are trying to get both for reasonable fees. I am sure both players and their agents know whether Mowbray is interested irrespective of what he says in the paper. Both players are risks - one is injury prone while the other has never quite made it in the Championship. I like both - but totally agree if he is refusing to pay daft money for either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, briansol said:

Think so, but we could never afford those wages which was the reason he couldn't agree a new contract. Far too good for Championship so I reckon he will have a payday in China or somewhere exotic.

Wants 85k per week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone seen that we now have a back of shirt sponsor. Be like rugby league soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But Stoke wanting to buy him tho. Mowbray wanted him

Has there been a solid link to Gallagher?

I know Nixon linked us but the 3 players we have brought in he wasn’t close to breaking instead insisting we were going for Kent etc 

Anyway still would have loved us to bring in Chapman and Armstrong but have to agree it’s exciting if he’s after players a level or two above them

Big couple of weeks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I agree we need a niggly, Speedie/Dickov type.

Re the chicken dance, somebody I know says that in the days before that Rovers game, Garner was in the De Lacy, going on about how he was going to celebrate in that way, if he scored at Ewood....

I had no idea that it was something he did every time he scored throughout his career...

If he does sign for Rovers and starts to do that every time he scores, I guess we will be calling it post irony!

He does that celebration and did from 2014 until he left PNE because John Welsh got a christ the redeemer tattoo that looks more like a bird whilst they had a pre season holiday to New York

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find this concept of 'A', 'B', 'C' and 'D' lists as a load of illogical nonsense.

I can accept there are positional lists - Bauer (A), Beavers (B) Elliot Ward (Z) - but if he buys Bauer for 5x the price of Beavers, will the money be available for the 'A' player on the Winger and Striker lists (Maddison or Armstrong)

Basically if (overall #1) player 'A' is someone like Marcus Maddison, TM knows he can't afford his top 2/3 options for CB (Bauer) and striker (Luca Toni).

There is probably zero chance we can get every player from his A list... we probably can't even afford all from B. 

The question is does he go and sign one 'A' player (Dack, 2017) if it therefore means all we can afford are scraps from list 'D'... a la Caddis, Hart, Gladwin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I find this concept of 'A', 'B', 'C' and 'D' lists as a load of illogical nonsense.

I can accept there are positional lists - Bauer (A), Beavers (B) Elliot Ward (Z) - but if he buys Bauer for 5x the price of Beavers, will the money be available for the 'A' player on the Winger and Striker lists (Maddison or Armstrong)

Basically if (overall #1) player 'A' is someone like Marcus Maddison, TM knows he can't afford his top 2/3 options for CB (Bauer) and striker (Luca Toni).

There is probably zero chance we can get every player from his A list... we probably can't even afford all from B. 

The question is does he go and sign one 'A' player (Dack, 2017) if it therefore means all we can afford are scraps from list 'D'... a la Caddis, Hart, Gladwin.

That's the entire point... looking at it objectively. You don't buy players from the A lists throughout, you work out which combination of A,B,C and D gives you the best team. Is it A, C, C, D? Is it B, B, B, C? Is it A, B, C, D?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.