BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Neal said:

With respect, I think it shows how organised and ambitious Mowbray and his recruitment team have been, or tried to be at least. They've obviously had more ambitious targets higher up the list that they've been priced out of and made their way down the list to Armstrong. I think that shows a well thought out transfer strategy and ambition. 

Well, from TM's own comments last week it appears we've possibly missed out on our main targets and had to resort to one of our back up targets. Not sure how that qualifies as "organised" or "ambitious".

In isolation though I'm quite pleased with the Armstrong signing, I think TM's comments about him were somewhat unfair. I'd have preferred it if he was coming in as the second striker signing as it were but I Don't necessarily see him as an inferior option at this level.

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Interesting

E55CFC9B-4219-4777-A095-DD8DB24664EC.png

Very interesting. Rovers to bid 750k now for him

57 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Very pleased with the Armstrong deal. One of the key priorities this summer. Hope he gets his first start on Saturday with Palmer, Dack and Graham.

Do wonder where Bennett will play most games this season. Unless he ups his attacking output he will struggle to dislodge any of them 4 in games especially at home. Obviously a role for him away, cant see him as first choice at right back and in the middle either, obviously has a big role but shouldnt be guaranteed a start every week.

Now for 3 days to determine our window. Armstrong and Palmer are exciting additions, the other 2 are projects really, neither first teamers. 3 keys now are a target man, a direct winger and a centre back. 

Dreadful signing. Can tell they are under embargo. Can see them going down.

I expect Bennett is one of the 1st names on the team sheet. He will play in most games if not every game either centre midfield or wide role. 

I agree on Mahoney deal for Birmingham. Plus their signing Bogle aswell. Turned Ipswich down to go Birmingham. 

I expect 2 more signings this week and 1 loan after the permanent deadline passing. 

42 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

100%

Just seen on SSN that Nsiala and Nolan having medicals at Ipswich for combined fee of £2m. Add that to Harrison and Edwards signings and looks like Hurst is making £3.5m worth of signings ready for his push on the L1 top 2 again this season.

Like I said yesterday that is their market and a market that Hurst knows well. He is reshaping their squad. Will be interesting to see if he gets Jackson from Stsnley. If they stay up he done his job. 

Just now, TruRover said:

Sharpe has said that the club is hopeful of at least one more perm signing before Thursday. Which doesn't sound too great as I think we need 3 as a minimium. 

Sharpe said Armstrong was unlikely on thursday afternoon.........

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Sharpe has said that the club is hopeful of at least one more perm signing before Thursday. Which doesn't sound too great as I think we need 3 as a minimium. 

Well if we only get Armstrong and one other then we're 2-3 short of Mowbray's announced target. Which would suggest we're delving into the loan market to bring in another couple.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

That may be a sign of what will happen. Furthermore, before Palmer and Armstrong signed, the LT said "at least three additions" before the loan transfer window shuts. So we've already had two of those. "At least one more" would suggest that the recruitment department has hit its target, despite some supporters not deeming it good enough. I'm also fairly certain that Mowbray targeted 5 or 6 additions in the window before it started (or early on), which would also be target hit.

No we're short of the target. On Wednesday or Thursday last week Mowbray (his most recent interview on the subject) said that he expected another 4 or possibly 5 incomings. We've had one which is Armstrong and I think most of us are quite happy and impressed with that piece of business. Nonetheless that leaves at least another 3 to reach Mowbray's target. A CF, CB and winger for me.

One more addition from here and I think the jury would still be out on whether we are any stronger than we were last season, depending on the calibre of that particular arrival. 3 or 4 additions of the calibre of Armstrong and Palmer and we would all agree that we were stronger than last season, as we need to be.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I do wonder if Sharpe keeps his cards close to his chest or is actually in the dark with regards to these matters. 

What do ye reckon? 

I don’t think he knows too much. He was behind Sky Sports, in knowing about Palmer. The truth is, I don’t think many people know about the club’s dealings. 

With regards to the next signing, I think the it will be Chapman. Boro are obviously needing cash, so why not sell one of their reserves? 

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I do wonder if Sharpe keeps his cards close to his chest or is actually in the dark with regards to these matters. 

What do ye reckon? 

I reckon Sharpe is deliberately conservative in his predictions, whether that is because he is told to give that impression by Rovers or because he genuinely has no idea and doesn't want to go out on a limb and predict something that doesn't happen which may come back to bite him.

The Armstrong one was a clue as to where Sharpe and the Telegraph are in the food chain as Nixon (credit where due) was the one who broke the Armstrong deal on Thursday and the default Telegraph response was to downplay the subject until word came through from the club that it was happening.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No we're short of the target. On Wednesday or Thursday last week Mowbray (his most recent interview on the subject) said that he expected another 4 or possibly 5 incomings. We've had one which is Armstrong and I think most of us are quite happy and impressed with that piece of business. Nonetheless that leaves at least another 3 to reach Mowbray's target. A CF, CB and winger for me.

One more addition from here and I think the jury would still be out on whether we are any stronger than we were last season, depending on the calibre of that particular arrival. 3 or 4 additions of the calibre of Armstrong and Palmer and we would all agree that we were stronger than last season, as we need to be.

I agree those are the 3 positions I would bring in. However “at least one more” implies to me the club are trying to do 2 more permanent buys and 1 loan. But if 1 of those permanents doesn’t come off then we’ll do a loan with a view to buy. This leaves Sharpe in the dark a bit I suppose.

• Backroom
Just now, Swanson said:

Has he signed ?

Yep although the tweet I saw said loan with an option of 2 year deal but may be lost in translation 

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

On 8th June, the LT reported that Mowbray was after signing around five players to complement the existing squad. One more signing would make that five signings in total. Yesterday, before Arma signed, Mowbray said he thinks three more might sign, so that would then mean that he reckons two more signings will come in before the loan window shuts.

I suppose the target will always move, but where Mowbray has suggest no more than six signings at any one time, it seems like some are expecting eight or more.

I think what Mowbray said last week is more relevant than what he said 2 months ago.

Where is the link to Mowbray saying yesterday that he only wanted 3 more?

The most recent interview I have seen/heard was Mowbrays to Radio Lancashire before the Ipswich game when he said another 4 maybe 5.

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What do ye reckon? 

Exactly. I think he is playing ball with Mowbray and doesn't leak stuff. He was a Rovers fan , when he lived in Rotherham, long before he became a journalist!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Exactly. I think he is playing ball with Mowbray and doesn't leak stuff. He was a Rovers fan , when he lived in Rotherham, long before he became a journalist!

I agree. As much as I enjoy the transfer window it can't be a bad thing for our club to be more watertight. You would think it would protect would be deals. I seem to remember a few years ago we were getting all sorts of information leaked around this time of year. 

8 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

it was leaked on the Newcastle end and Nixon has got some good connections up there, so for once he got one right. 

Rich Sharpe was either not told anything or was told to play it down - hence saying there was interest but he did not get the feeling anything was imminent.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very interesting. Rovers to bid 750k now for him

I expect Bennett is one of the 1st names on the team sheet. He will play in most games if not every game either centre midfield or wide role. 

I agree on Mahoney deal for Birmingham. Plus their signing Bogle aswell. Turned Ipswich down to go Birmingham. 

I expect 2 more signings this week and 1 loan after the permanent deadline passing. 

Like I said yesterday that is their market and a market that Hurst knows well. He is reshaping their squad. Will be interesting to see if he gets Jackson from Stsnley. If they stay up he done his job. 

Bennett is an important and versatile member of the squad. But not one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Not for every game, anyway.

Wide, depends on the game. Millwall at home, organised, resolute but ultimately a game we can try and target a win in. Would hope to unleash Palmer and Armstrong with Dack and Graham. Other winnable games, especially at home, for me Bennett's industry will not always be needed, UNLESS he can add goals/assists to his game, as he wasnt good enough in this area in League 1, for a player with good technique.

Central midfield, can't see him getting much game time there, not convinced he has the ball retention in a higher league. Right back, can do a solid job as a stop gap but no more.

I'm not underestimating his importance, I just think that to get a guaranteed place in the attacking positions in the easier games (relatively speaking) this season, he needs to do far more than he did last season, specifically goals and assists. 

• Like 1