BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

23 minutes ago, oozy_brfc said:

As for the above poster RE Adelukan being a winger in a 3-5-2, interesting point - probably not possible. I just feel Mowbray may be looking at the 3-5-2 given the Bell signing and his insistence on trialling it earlier in the season. 

I agree Mowbray will go back to the 3-5-2 that’s what he prefers, only this time he has the summer to bring in the players that fit the system. 

Raya

Lenihan - New - Mulgrew

Travis/Nyambe/Bennett——————Bell

Smallwood——New

Dack

Graham/New—-Armstrong

So really your looking at a:

Starting Big Centre half,

Quality Centre Midfielder,

Armstrong

New large Striker.

Armstong has floundered a wee bit recently but his pace is something we badly need. Need a back up left wing back. Williams can play in the three at the back. Evans probably sticks around, and I want to see if Gladwin can come good. We don’t have any real wingers anyway, maybe that’s by design.

Not too much to ask for.

Edited by Fraserkirky

• Backroom

Mowbray has mentioned new contracts in the Telegraph, great news as long as it doesn’t open the floodgates 

“Does Bradley Dack deserve a new deal? In my opinion, yes. Did he deserve a new deal three or four months ago? Yes. But I wasn’t prepared to do it because I knew that Richie Smallwood would need one.

“These players aren’t earning big money, they deserve better deals, better contracts.

“They haven’t had them because we were stuck in League One”

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

One thing I will say, people are suggesting Caddis and Whittingham (who id keep around) should go, whose going to buy them off us, both are under contract, and I imagine the latter is on a decent contract. Same with Gladwin to be fair, one who Id look to get rid of straight away.

Really hope we dont recruit towards a 3 at the back. I know it can be a good system and a couple of our players, notably Bell would potentially benefit but theres alot that wouldnt.

When we played it last time we had Mulgrew stepping out from the left, last time we used it it looked all wrong because Mulgrew was in the middle to accomodate Williams.

Nyambe is seemingly a big part of our defence, hes a defensive full back hes certainly never a right wing back.

And if you play that formation it would break up the Dack and Graham partnership, most likely leaving Dack as one of 2 number 10s, reducing his influence.

Hopefully Mowbray wont see fit to change a winning system. Just add to it.

And @chaddyrovers why do you see a player that has got nowhere near the Sheffield United team to be a good potential signing? Yes we were linked last season but hes literally not played all year. And Gladwins a donkey ive seen that with my own eyes and if he never plays again for us itll be too soon.

nobody has o buy them, we can agree to release them if they find a new club willing to sign them. not rocket science is it? 

at Portsmouth away it was Lenihan, Downing and Mulgrew at the back 3. Back 3 would be useful at this level and give us a plan B like this season and not be too predictable

Yet again Downing and Gestede weren't near their first team at their clubs but Gestede went on to be good player here and Downing came in and did a fairly good job. so lets not right anybody off just yet again

7 hours ago, oozy_brfc said:

I think Mowbray might opt for a 3-5-2 next year, we've looked fantastic on the counter and attacking spaces. The underdog title in most game may benefit us and allow us to play to our strengths. 

Priority for me has to be 

-an experienced keeper as a backup

- Towering centre-half. Mulgrew's set pieces are fantastic and it's criminal we don't have someone really attacking them. Quite like Sonny Bradley from Plymouth.

- Technical/Energetic CM. Evans is hit and miss, Whittingham isn't good enough. Bennet plays well there but I'd love an established player

- Pace/Power on the wings. Cardiff have shown this season  Mendez Laing/Hoilett can cause damage. Adelakun from Scunthorpe has impressed in periods this year 

- Target Man/ Pacey Striker. Graham deserves to start but injury concerns. A younger, more mobile target man alongside Armstrong on loan would be great. 

We looked a bit slow/weak last time around in the Championship. If the recruitment is right, we may surprise a few next season. Mowbray seems to have added resiliance to this whole club. Here's hoping, we're on our way back 

Think you are right about maybe Mowbray will opt for this. I think we will see 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 used at different points of the season. 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Where would a winger like Adelakun fit in a 3-5-2 though?

right wing back?

7 hours ago, islander200 said:

We will agree to disagree.I don't see Rovers being interested in Henegan.We did have an interest Last summer..a year is a long time with this new scouting system Mowbray has been talking up I'd hope we can do better than a Sheffield United reserve.

Downing did do well but he won't be starting  next season and we have no idea wether he will be good enough at championship level

You want us to sign two new wingers.Sign Armstrong and Payne.So can I ask where Conway and Gladwin fit in?I take tomphils point about his experience but if we do bring in wingers then Conway has rarely started this season so if we sign players in the position you suggest then he will be further away from the first team.The same with Gladwin who has done nothing of note since his Swindon days.You also want the youth to be given a chance which I agree with but everyone can't get a game chaddy so no point giving a new deal to Conway of being going to contribute on the field and not a chance in hell of Gladwin becoming a regular in my opinion

I'm looking forward to the summer and who we are linked with and sign. Full trust and faith in Mowbray. 

I have already said Conway would be a sub player to bring on for his experience and knowledge of the championship when defending a lead. 

I think Gladwin has talent but over his career at QPR he never show it. But I think someone like Mowbray could get it out of him. 

4 hours ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Were we linked with Marquis before? The little I saw of him in our match the other night was alright. He looked game despite not really getting a sniff. He put himself about a bit more than say, Marriott, who we also shut down chances-wise.

Good player but he would be plan B if we cant get Armstrong back. 

Feel we need a target man striker in aswell

9 hours ago, oozy_brfc said:

Thanks for the warm welcome, 

I was a big fan of Billy Bodin, it's a shame PNE signed him. I have a feeling Mowbray may look abroad for this one. He's been implementing a new scouting network recently so i think we may explore that 

As for the above poster RE Adelukan being a winger in a 3-5-2, interesting point - probably not possible. I just feel Mowbray may be looking at the 3-5-2 given the Bell signing and his insistence on trialling it earlier in the season. 

It's a shame we don't have a Gestede, Rhodes, Marshall, Cairney, Dann, Spurr, Dunn, King, Olsson to select for the above positions. Still scratching my head as to how we didn't even make the playoffs with those players 

I do agree that Adelukan could be a really good signing. Unless hes signed a new deal I get the feeling his contract will expire soon too.

I do agree that Mowbray might try 3 at the back, more likely with 1 central striker and 2 playing off him. I hope he sticks with the formation that has served us so well and for me gets the best out of our 2 main partnerships, Mulgrew and Lenihan, and Dack and Graham.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

nobody has o buy them, we can agree to release them if they find a new club willing to sign them. not rocket science is it? 

at Portsmouth away it was Lenihan, Downing and Mulgrew at the back 3. Back 3 would be useful at this level and give us a plan B like this season and not be too predictable

Yet again Downing and Gestede weren't near their first team at their clubs but Gestede went on to be good player here and Downing came in and did a fairly good job. so lets not right anybody off just yet again

Think you are right about maybe Mowbray will opt for this. I think we will see 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 used at different points of the season. 

right wing back?

I'm looking forward to the summer and who we are linked with and sign. Full trust and faith in Mowbray. 

I have already said Conway would be a sub player to bring on for his experience and knowledge of the championship when defending a lead. 

I think Gladwin has talent but over his career at QPR he never show it. But I think someone like Mowbray could get it out of him. 

Good player but he would be plan B if we cant get Armstrong back. 

Feel we need a target man striker in aswell

No but I cant see a massive queue of teams wanting them. 

No but both of them did well for us practicaly from the start. I am not the only one who feels that after seeing him play a few times earlier this season, hes not only terrible but his attitude seemed likewise. Mowbray might have done a good job but you cant polish a turd. Again though, a difficult one to offload.

Re Adelakun, so you are suggesting we sign a right winger and shoehorn him into an unfamiliar position? Surely just sign an actual right wing back.

For a striker, I feel that we need someone with legs for when Graham needs a rest/rotating. What Samuel should have done and has failed at.

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why? Unless he has improved substantially I thought Gallagher was some way short of the standard required at that level when he was here. Started well but faded very badly.

I was asking the question rather than making a pronouncement, I genuinely have no idea how or whether he's come on this season with Birmingham or not.

If you look purely at goals, he hasn't-----6 in 31 appearances for Big Club.

• Like 1

We have a solid base of good players to build on; Raya, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bennett, Smallwood, Dack and Graham could all start next season and I would have no complaints. Thats a solid 7 players who will perform most weeks and give at least a 7 out of 10 performance. 

Outside of them then we have good squad players in; Nyambe, Williams, Bell, Leutwiler, Conway, Samuel, Downing and Evans 

So after the loans go back, I wouldn't be too sad if Whittingham, Caddis and Gladwin left as well.

This will leave us needing 4 strong and athletic players who can come in and start week in week out and give a minimum of 7 out of 10 performances. Teams don't get promoted without that. Squad wise, I would promote some of the under 23s. That leaves us requiring strong signings for the following roles; centre midfielder , 2 wingers and a striker. 

If we get those 4 signings right, we will have a strong team. Big summer ahead, but I have confidence in Tony 

We've been there and done that with Gallacher. He did look decent in spells but not sure he is what we need.

Quite like the look of that 3-5-2, Armstrong upfront with Grahams and Dack behind could be quite lethal.

• Like 1

Just now, Mozzer said:

We should try sign Hakeem Adelakun from Scunthorpe.  Pace for the wings , and assists 

Yup, think we should pluck a few from 'down there in L1' (great to be able to say that again). Hungry players that want to progress. Do not think picking up out of contract Championship players is the way to go - if they are not good enough for their clubs, then they are not really good enough for us. There might be some exceptions though - so lets see.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I do agree that Adelukan could be a really good signing. Unless hes signed a new deal I get the feeling his contract will expire soon too.

I do agree that Mowbray might try 3 at the back, more likely with 1 central striker and 2 playing off him. I hope he sticks with the formation that has served us so well and for me gets the best out of our 2 main partnerships, Mulgrew and Lenihan, and Dack and Graham.

No but I cant see a massive queue of teams wanting them. 

No but both of them did well for us practicaly from the start. I am not the only one who feels that after seeing him play a few times earlier this season, hes not only terrible but his attitude seemed likewise. Mowbray might have done a good job but you cant polish a turd. Again though, a difficult one to offload.

Re Adelakun, so you are suggesting we sign a right winger and shoehorn him into an unfamiliar position? Surely just sign an actual right wing back.

For a striker, I feel that we need someone with legs for when Graham needs a rest/rotating. What Samuel should have done and has failed at.

There is nothing wrong with having 2 different formations and players being use to both. give you a fixable approach and the ability to change during a game and less predictable. 

Did I ever say they would be massive queue for Caddis and Whittingham from Clubs? 

Do you mean Downing is terrible and attitude? really?

didn't Adelakun play right wing back against us at Ewood Park? according to this he did http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/2984819 , so you point is irrelevant. 

A younger target man should be target. People have mention Taylor from AFC Wimbledon but he is 28 years old, 

Samuel did replace Graham when he came off but Graham form meant he didn't need dropping

2 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Can take or leave Gallagher. 

Not too dissimilar to Gestede in that he's a good goalscorer who should probably have a better all round game, given his size.

Anyway, as is mentioned, will probably get his chance at Southampton next year. Good luck to him.

Gallagher hasn't kick on this season and I would hope we look for a better all round target man

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/2984819

What a depressing subs bench that is?? 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

There is nothing wrong with having 2 different formations and players being use to both. give you a fixable approach and the ability to change during a game and less predictable. 

Did I ever say they would be massive queue for Caddis and Whittingham from Clubs? 

didn't Adelakun play right wing back against us at Ewood Park? according to this he did http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/2984819 , so you point is irrelevant. 

A younger target man should be target. People have mention Taylor from AFC Wimbledon but he is 28 years old, 

Samuel did replace Graham when he came off but Graham form meant he didn't need dropping

Gallagher hasn't kick on this season and I would hope we look for a better all round target man

No to Gallagher for me. He was good in glimpses but certainly hasn't looked like the type of striker that will add anything to our game. 

I would take Gestede back in a heart beat. Would have to be a loan deal as I think his wages will be far too high. Let's hope Boro get promoted and they feel they don't need Chapman or Gestede 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Mowbray has mentioned new contracts in the Telegraph, great news as long as it doesn’t open the floodgates 

“Does Bradley Dack deserve a new deal? In my opinion, yes. Did he deserve a new deal three or four months ago? Yes. But I wasn’t prepared to do it because I knew that Richie Smallwood would need one.

“These players aren’t earning big money, they deserve better deals, better contracts.

“They haven’t had them because we were stuck in League One”

The proper way to do it at last.

To think of the crocks and never has been free signings a few years ago on Championship wages :wacko:

Under embargo of course but still throwing 10k pwk at the Delfonso's, Browns and Akpans of this world I don't know why the hell they didn't look into league 1 back then for some potential on half the money. Most of those donkeys ended up there anyway after they'd got lucky at Rovers for a while........and so did the club.

Rotten stuff thank god it's gone, hopefully forever.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I agree Mowbray will go back to the 3-5-2 that’s what he prefers, only this time he has the summer to bring in the players that fit the system. 

Raya

Lenihan - New - Mulgrew

Travis/Nyambe/Bennett——————Bell

Smallwood——New

Dack

Graham/New—-Armstrong

So really your looking at a:

Starting Big Centre half,

Quality Centre Midfielder,

Armstrong

New large Striker.

Armstong has floundered a wee bit recently but his pace is something we badly need. Need a back up left wing back. Williams can play in the three at the back. Evans probably sticks around, and I want to see if Gladwin can come good. We don’t have any real wingers anyway, maybe that’s by design.

Not too much to ask for.

How large are you talking? 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No no, Gladwin is terrible and lazy, and a donkey. Not Downing.

Im sure they played with him and Holmes wide, Morris central, but the point is, if you want a right wing back, get a right wing back, not a winger.

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No no, Gladwin is terrible and lazy, and a donkey. Not Downing.

Im sure they played with him and Holmes wide, Morris central, but the point is, if you want a right wing back, get a right wing back, not a winger.

Scunthorpe played 3 at the back that day. I remember that. Cos Ive seen them playing 4-4-2 on tv before. 

He can play the wing back role. So its no problem. Seems like you are complaining for complaining sake