BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-armstrong-waggott-newcastle-19304432

Lancs Live but with direct quotes from Waggott.

Basically a ‘come and get me’ for Arma to Leeds for £30m.

On the one hand says Venkys wouldn't push a sale but one the other that it would cover operating losses - if he, Mowbray and Venus decided.

• Like 1

Very strange and quite unprofessional for a Chief Executive to be speculating publicly about the sort of bids he could attract and naming potential clubs who might be interested.

I get the impression that a sale of Armstrong would actually be welcomed by Waggott and Mowbray. A massive profit and windfall for the owners right now would vindicate Mowbray's management and recruitment and bolster his position whilst Waggott will want to use the funds to improve the balance sheet.

I'm not stupid and know that if a huge bid comes in from the division above it might suit all concerned for us to take it. I would hope however that this is secondary to trying to get promotion and only happens if a huge bid comes in - compare to Watkins when Brentford got £30 million- that is what I'm talking about - not £8-9 million to a rival club.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Stuart said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-armstrong-waggott-newcastle-19304432

Lancs Live but with direct quotes from Waggott.

Basically a ‘come and get me’ for Arma to Leeds for £30m.

On the one hand says Venkys wouldn't push a sale but one the other that it would cover operating losses - if he, Mowbray and Venus decided.

"Goalscorers keep you in jobs, don't they? They keep managers in jobs, they keep the fans happy and Blackburn had another decent Geordie striker when they won the Premier League way back, didn't they?

"If he can get anywhere near him he'd have had a decent career."

Makes me cringe when someone at the club refers to Rovers as 'Blackburn'.

• Like 5

I was just thinking that. The bloke’s a carpetbagger.

John Williams was from nowhere near East Lancs, but he still always referred to ‘Rrrovers’ in his Hampshire burr.

But then more fool me for comparing JW with that spiv.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I was just thinking that. The bloke’s a carpetbagger.

John Williams was from nowhere near East Lancs, but he still always referred to ‘Rrrovers’ in his Hampshire burr.

But then more fool me for comparing JW with that spiv.

I remember seeing an interview with Harvey Elliot and he was referring to us as 'Rovers'.

It's not a difficult thing to understand the fans. Not sure why our CEO doesn't grasp the concept.

• Backroom

Odd one when there isn’t any speculation as such but let’s be honest buying ‘cheap’ and selling high is a dream for CEO’s

I imagine it’s their ideal scenario, sell at a premium in January as it validates the work they are doing from a commercial standpoint

They will be pointing to Ollie Watkins and hoping for the same story here 

Problem being Brentford have a decent track record of replacing with similar prospects, would we?

Edited by Tom

Odd that they are touting this before January. I would wager with Arma only having 18 months left on his contract there has maybe been some hesitation on his part to be resigning. January is going to be the time he is at his premium in that case. Prices are usually inflated. 

On the one hand we have missed the boat previously in terms of selling players when they were at their premium. But say we do put a run together between now and January. We're in the hunt for those playoff places. Selling Arma would be quite representative of where the club, Waggot and Mowbray see their priorities. 

Just now, philipl said:

I have read the article.

The balance is not represented by the reaction in the posts.

Ah here comes captain contradiction. If you think our CEO should be actively touting Armstrong's value in the local paper 2 days before a game and just before a transfer window then more fool you

Rovers have sold just one player for a large fee during Waggott's tenure when David Raya departed for Brentford in a £3m deal. Given Premier League clubs may potentially be itching at the prospect of testing Rovers' resolve over their star striker, a questioned lingered over whether Venky's would force Waggott's hand on a potential sale given the eye-watering losses that they were making by running the club.

But the Rovers CEO insisted that the Venky's would not push any sale, and any decision over bids for valuable assets will be decided by himself, Mowbray and Mark Venus with the clubs best interests in mind.

"I think first we'd need to get an official offer from the club and if say for example Leeds United phoned us up in late December, early January saying we have £25m-£30m for Adam Armstrong then I would say to the owners here's an offer we need to consider," Waggott told Lancs Live.

"But the key is, who is coming in for Adam Amrstrong if you sell him? How are you going to use the £30m? Yes you could use some towards operational losses but how are you going to build out from losing a player of that magnitude?

"At the moment, if you took him out you'd probably say our promotion prospects would be vastly diminished. With Adam Armstrong, this is the third occasion we've bought him on the third time of asking, really. We brought him in to Coventry from Newcastle and he scored 20 in 40 games there, he was absolutely unbelievable.

That is the offending bit in the LT.

1) It sets the marker that we haven't been a selling club in his time

2) It is realistic about financial pressures and the mechanisms by which decisions are taken

3) Again, of course he is going to inform the majority shareholders if an offer is received

4) Effectively he is setting the price at £30m for Rovers even considering an offer

5) He highlights the difficulty of maintaining a promotion challenge when selling your leading scorer. £30m for Arma (net of perhaps £10m for Newcastle and another £3m for other possible leakages if the agent cut himself into the Rovers' side of the deal) or a guaranteed £150m from winning promotion is a no brainer.

6) PL clubs don't make bids out of the ether- they have players watched and in Leeds' case they rent a back bedroom at Brockhall.. This is smoking Leeds out into the open

Edited by philipl

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

"Goalscorers keep you in jobs, don't they? They keep managers in jobs, they keep the fans happy and Blackburn had another decent Geordie striker when they won the Premier League way back, didn't they?

"If he can get anywhere near him he'd have had a decent career."

Makes me cringe when someone at the club refers to Rovers as 'Blackburn'.

Never mind 'Rovers', surely, that should be "WE had another decent Geordie Striker when WE won the Premier League" !!

Whilst I work, I refer to our company as 'We' whether I was involved at the time or not. eg "yes, it's a project we did back in 2015" (I started in 2017)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, windymiller7 said:

Never mind 'Rovers', surely, that should be "WE had another decent Geordie Striker when WE won the Premier League" !!

Whilst I work, I refer to our company as 'We' whether I was involved at the time or not. eg "yes, it's a project we did back in 2015" (I started in 2017)

Agreed. He's talking like a complete outsider with no connection with the club.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, toogs said:

Considering we have a manager that gives us no hope of promotion to the premier league, we might as well take 30m if that size of offer is received.

And it really pains me to say that.

Yeah, Waggott's assertion that losing AA would harm our chances of promotion is a strange one. What chances?

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

We'd take £30m. Would be daft if we didn't tbh.

Who we replace him with is another matter.

It depends where we are in the league come January.

If we've managed to be in and around the top 6 - you might as well hang on to him until summer and hope he can get us promoted. If we're in the top 6 in January and sell Armstrong, you can kiss goodbye to any promotions hope. 

If we're bobbing around in mid-table and going nowhere, it's a different question if he's only got 18 months left on his contract.

Nobody is paying 30 million for Armstrong like no one is paying 10 million for Lenihan and JRC isn’t going to Madrid so can we get to the end of the season in 12th and then let him leave at the price he will leave for which will be about 8 million to another championship club. Probably brentford

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Seems like everyone has had a happy international break! Why is the mood on here so pessimistic?

8-10m?? No chance. He's absolutely lighting up the league!

He won’t get sold in January and will have 12 months left on a deal . He is nowhere near as good as Watkins and £30 million is fantasy

• Like 1