BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

My thoughts as soon as I saw Armstrong clutching his hamstring midway during the first half on Saturday was get him off. They also went back to similar thoughts with Chapman at Bury I think or possibly Oldham. The point being Mowbray didn't haul either off and we know the results with Chapman. Hopefully Arma won't have similar lasting damage. Ludicrous management on both counts.

I feel like he does this quite a bit. Seems very reluctant to take players off (or even drop them) when they are clearly carrying a problem. Rarely ends well. Happy to do all his subs by the 60th minute or so in a lot of games though (god have we been lucky with that not biting us in the ass until a couple of games ago).

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

My thoughts as soon as I saw Armstrong clutching his hamstring midway during the first half on Saturday was get him off. They also went back to similar thoughts with Chapman at Bury I think or possibly Oldham. The point being Mowbray didn't haul either off and we know the results with Chapman. Hopefully Arma won't have similar lasting damage. Ludicrous management on both counts.

Armstrong did the injury before the 10th minute according to what I have read. 

Armstrong staying on the pitch was vital to getting owt from the game on Saturday

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong staying on the pitch was vital to getting owt from the game on Saturday

But we didnt get anything.

Surely we should play him tomorrow again risking serious injury because he is just as crucial to us getting anything then?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

But we didnt get anything.

Surely we should play him tomorrow again risking serious injury because he is just as crucial to us getting anything then?

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing

Armstrong is very crucial to us as he is best striker and finisher at the club. Time for Gallagher to step up and prove his worth

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong is very crucial to us as he is best striker and finisher at the club

In which case you would have thought it a priority to protect your prized asset when clearly injured

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong is very crucial to us as he is best striker and finisher at the club. Time for Gallagher to step up and prove his worth

Its not, I was saying at the time that we needed to take him off, he didnt look right and I spent the game worrying that he was going to get seriously injured. It was a stupid risk because if he is out long term, we are fucked.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not, I was saying at the time that we needed to take him off, he didnt look right and I spent the game worrying that he was going to get seriously injured. It was a stupid risk because if he is out long term, we are fucked.

Like I said hindsight is a wonderful thing with you. If he scores at Swansea and got us a point or 3 points you would be praising Mowbray wouldnt you. If Armstrong says he is fine then you take his word. 

He not out long term tho..

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said hindsight is a wonderful thing with you. If he scores at Swansea and got us a point or 3 points you would be praising Mowbray wouldnt you. If Armstrong says he is fine then you take his word. 

No it is not based on hindsight, I said at the time that I wanted him to come off. Not only would a serious injury be catastrophic but he was clearly hindered by it and wasnt his usual self.

I presume you want him to play tomorrow and to take the risk again? Or is that a different situation because Mowbray wont be playing him?

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I presume you want him to play tomorrow and to take the risk again? Or is that a different situation because Mowbray wont be playing him?

That's depend on how and what the player wants, what my physio/club doctor says and what the scan shows

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well we didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He should have been off after 10 minutes - you simply do not risk hamstrings.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

It was OBVIOUS he wasn't moving freely and was uncomfortable.

Should have been taken off after 10 minutes.  IMO, absolutely no excuses.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well, you have more confidence in Rovers' medics than I do.

Ayala - Mowbray said day before Coventry game that Ayala could play if needed.  Has now missed 3 matches and likely 4 after tomorrow.

Kaminski - 'nothing to be concerned, tweaked his groin' - now likely to miss his third game tomorrow.

IMO, club is 3rd rate from top to bottom.  I think we've dumbed down from top to bottom over the years and now paying a very heavy price.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hindsight wonder thing

You don't mess around with hamstrings - playing on when you feel a twinge is madness and turns a 2-week layoff into 6 weeks or in may cases alot longer.

He should have come off immediately or Mowbray ordered him off

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

I think that "hindsight is a wonderful thing" has seemingly lost its literal meaning. I know that I was not alone in willing Mowbray to sub Armstrong as soon as I saw him clutch his hamstring, not as something I only became wise to after the game, indeed Armstrong DIDNT tear his hamstring so it didnt go as badly as it could have done.

It was not the same situation but Travis got a serious injury after continuing having taken a knock on an area of pre existing injury.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Well, you have more confidence in Rovers' medics than I do.

Ayala - Mowbray said day before Coventry game that Ayala could play if needed.  Has now missed 3 matches and likely 4 after tomorrow.

Kaminski - 'nothing to be concerned, tweaked his groin' - now likely to miss his third game tomorrow.

IMO, club is 3rd rate from top to bottom.  I think we've dumbed down from top to bottom over the years and now paying a very heavy price.

I give him the benefit of the doubt in that the opposition is the intended audience...

But I agree. Armstrong should have been subbed after 10 minutes. 

It shows how little faith Mowbray has in his £5m forward signing.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

I blame the  player more than anyone ..he knows his body and what a hamstring feels like. He should have been straight over to the touch line and telling the physio thats me finished ..im off .

If hes stupidly carried on after being asked ..Arma yes..no .?? ..then he should shoulder the blame. 

On 03/11/2020 at 20:38, ben_the_beast said:

Perfect opportunity for Gallagher to show what he can do centrally. He's never really been given much of a chance there. If Mowbray plays him out on the wing or has someone attempting a false 9 it will be unbelievable (yet believable at the same time)

He played centre when he first came on loan to us and scored 12 goals (I think)---the most productive time of his career in terms of what strikers are supposed to do.

Didn't play on the wing then as I recall. We are ruining him. He's not great but he's not as bad as he is currently showing.