BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Not remotely similar in terms of style of play and without AA's pace up front the opposition would be able to defend a lot higher up the pitch.

I never said they where similar players. The question was who would take AA's place if he left. My opinion is that it would be Dack. My first choice forward line would be, BB, Dack, Elliot .I seem to remember Dack being a fairly successful forward

Edited by rigger

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Seems like everyone has had a happy international break! Why is the mood on here so pessimistic?

8-10m?? No chance. He's absolutely lighting up the league!

Going off experience. We let Cairney, Duffy, Raya all leave for less than their worth when keeping them for another couple of years would have seen us land much much more.

We should be offering him a bumper deal to keep him here, protect our asset and ensure we are protected. Yet he's still on the same terms as when we came from League One and only 18 months left to go. Not a good position to be in really. These sort should always have at least a couple of years on their deals so the club is safe from poachers.

I agree that on current form and market value Armstrong is worth a lot more than £10 million. He's going at over a goal a game for a midtable side and has been doing for the last 6 months. He's 23 and English and has pace. Name your price territory if a Premier League club takes an interest (apart from Burnley who we don't sell to even if it costs us).

My pessimism comes from the fact that we've got the top scorer in the league in Armstrong, the highest scoring team in the league and the best or joint best goal difference and yet here we are in familiar mid-table territory rather than up there challenging. It tells me that we are wasting a glorious opportunity here due to poor management. These runs like Armstrong's don't last forever - he'll either lose form or end up moving on - and then we are back to square one. Now is the time to make the most of it.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Maybe 2-3 mill extra for both transfers but I get your point. Cairney was worth double at least

Agree on Cairney. 

Raya I think with another season could have doubled in price. Certainly wouldn't have depreciated. 

Also talking about an extra 2 or 3 million, even if solely that, makes a huge difference to Rovers finances, so it's not much of an only in our context. 

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Maybe 2-3 mill extra for both transfers but I get your point. Cairney was worth double at least

Cairney fee was crazy. 

Duffy I felt was fair to be honest. 

Raya I was pleased when we sold him as I felt he made far too mistakes and errors for me. 

No one is denying raya was error prone at times but year upon year he got better and better . The potential was there to see. That’s what gets people frustrated. He has made a few but costly mistakes at Brentford but like here I’m sure he has won games with superb reflex saves. Sticking with him would of paid off on the pitch and financially and any decision to sell him for the fee he went for was a ludicrous sale IMO. When he was sold I assumed Tony couldn’t wait for him to develop and had a ready made keeper in mind for a promotion push. Maybe the kaminski deal was a year later than expected and on current evidence I would understand the sale if it was backed up with us sitting pretty up the league , however all likelihood is we have sold an asset to a rival for peanuts why we continue to dodder around mid table.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know that controversial or underperforming players attract more discussion than players who do the business consistently, but I'm amazed that we've reached a total of 16 pages on Arma in just over two years.

By himself he's managed to at least equal the number of goals scored by a third of all the clubs in the league. He's scored double the number of goals of Derby County. Amazing given about 12 months ago there was a decent argument that he'd struggle to start as a number 9 with no strike partner. 

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

Happy to hold my hands up that when Dack was injured against Wigan, I was incredibly concerned about where the goals were going to come from. I wasn’t sure that Armstrong would fill the void. 
I’ll be honest, I’ve not just got egg on my face, I’ve got a week’s worth of my daily omelettes all over it and long may that continue!

• Like 1

My favourite part about Armstrong is last season when he started banging them in so many of them were from outside the area or what I call (wonder goals) as in usually they don’t go in, and I worry they can dry up.

Then so far this season I think I saw that all his goals have come from inside the box.

Knowing that he’s capable of either inside or out, I have so much confidence in him we just got to keep him on the pitch and he will score.

• Backroom

If a Premier League came in for Armstrong in January, how much would you be happy to sell him for? 

I strongly believe that if we are ever going back up then this is our year and Armstrong is absolutely pivotal. 

It would need to be an offer of £25 million + to even consider it!

On 19/11/2020 at 15:47, philipl said:

If we average two points per game in the 11 games from now to the final whistle v Birmingham on 2 January, I am pretty certain Adam Armstrong will still be our player in February.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised, if someone was making that sort of calculation. A poor festive season and they might well be inclined to accept a good offer.

I suddenly remembered Rovers being 2nd in the table in December '69.

Then Everton came calling!

• Like 1