BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

Arma showed his class against Rotherham.

A real team performance at a time everyone else was falling apart.

He had three on target powerful shots blocked or saved across the 90 minutes, dropped deep to help out then laid on Elliott's goal before right place right time at the death. Worth noting with the winner he had to react instantly and get it between two blocking Rotherham defenders- it wasn't the automatic gimme he made it look.

Toney is good but not that good. Could easily be a one season wonder.

Edited by philipl

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From Nixon in the S*n:-

BLACKBURN ROVERS want a stunning £25million for striker Adam Armstrong — in a shock for West Ham and his other admirers.

The 20-goal Ewood Park hotshot, 24, may move to the Premier League this summer and Hammers boss David Moyes leads the hunt.

Rovers think they can justify the price due to Championship goalscorers previously moving for similar sky-high numbers — like £28m Ollie Watkins, who left Brentford for Aston Villa back in September.

But Armstrong’s value is affected by the fact he is a FREE agent in 2022.

Blackburn need to demand a huge sum as Newcastle United are due a hefty 40 per cent of the profit.

Moyes has been doing personal checks on Armstrong as he steps up his chase — but his West Ham will not get him for the £10m they had hoped to shell out.

He'll end up going to a Championship rival. There will be no new contract and no buyers at big money from the PL.

Expect a sale of £8-10 million.

To be honest I couldn't blame him in the slightest leaving the club. Devoid of ambition and prioritising preservation of the status quo over a real push for promotion.

• Like 1

Maximum they could expect in the final year of his contract (another piece of excellent management by our owners but funnily enough it's always the player's fault not theirs) is £12 million. 

Maximum value imo he would be worth is about £20-£25 million under a decent length contract which must halve in the last year or so. So £10-£12 million is all we can expect. So if it is 40 percent of profit I reckon that leaves us with £8.4 million to replace him with. 

The good news is I think Toney at Brentford cost £9 million so replacing in and around that budget is doable. The bad news is that our last two big money strikers were Gally and Bereton, so I'm none too optimistic on a strong replacement. 

If we are going to sell Armstrong this summer due to him wanting PL football and Rovers needed to cash up then I hope we have been scouting replacements for him. 

Here is a few players I would look at to replace him

1.  Luke Jephcott from Plymouth. Luke Jephcott 20/21 Highlights - YouTube

2. Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley CAULEY WOODROW - ALL 15 GOALS 2019/2020 SEASON - YouTube

3. Jordan Hugill from Norwich JORDAN HUGILL - ALL 15 GOALS 19/20 SEASON - YouTube

4. Lawrence Shankland from Dundee United (460) Lawrence Shankland | The Film | Season 2019/20 - YouTube

A couple of foreign strikers. This is just based on their goals record and clips on Youtube

1. Thomas Henry who plays for Belgian club OH Leuven in the Belgian First Division A (460) THOMAS HENRY | 15 Goals - YouTube

2. Mohamed Bayo who plays as a forward for Ligue 2 club Clermont Foot. Mohamed Bayo (Clermont Foot) 19/20 highlights - YouTube

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

All ifs and buts but Kieffer Moore would have been perfect for us. Dack would have bloody loved him.

That's the problem though. He wants Armstrong to be the leading striker so he has to play up front. He won't play with two strikers so Armstrong would have to be back out on the wing again we're he's not as effective. I'm not sure where Dack fits into the picture at the moment. People say good players can play anywhere but to get the most out of them they need a system that plays to their strengths. At the moment we don't have a workable system.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

I would have thought you could fit Arma and Dack in the same team but surprised how reliant Dack seems to be on a target man striker. Although in fairness coming back from injury into several positions and a team playing poorly can't have helped. 

With Armstrong off in the summer it makes sense we replace him with a target man to get the best out of Dack. Although if we want to go 4-2-3-1 am not sure how many of the other players that suits. 

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I would have thought you could fit Arma and Dack in the same team but surprised how reliant Dack seems to be on a target man striker. Although in fairness coming back from injury into several positions and a team playing poorly can't have helped. 

With Armstrong off in the summer it makes sense we replace him with a target man to get the best out of Dack. Although if we want to go 4-2-3-1 am not sure how many of the other players that suits. 

That's why it's all such a mess. Loads of random signings without any clear thinking as to how they're going to be used.

I thought he struck lucky with the Graham- Dack tandem. How many games did it take him to come up with that one ?  If you have a plan that you've been working on pre-season you unveil it in game one.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's why it's all such a mess. Loads of random signings without any clear thinking as to how they're going to be used.

I thought he struck lucky with the Graham- Dack tandem. How many games did it take him to come up with that one ?  If you have a plan that you've been working on pre-season you unveil it in game one.

Couldn't agree more. Build a team and buy what you need for the team, simple isn't it. 

Problem is all the team seem suited to different formations. The front line to 4-3-3 apart from Dack and Gally who may be suited to 4-2-3-1 assuming Gally is suited to anything. 

Rothwell and Travis could do the 4-3-3 but many of the others don't have the legs for it.

Our full backs aren't suited to 4-3-3 although you can see Nayambe adjusting. Our centre backs need a more simple system too. 

It's a lack of thought that annoys me so much. 

On 28/02/2021 at 12:19, Blue blood said:

Thing is I don't think we have any kind of evidence that Dack needs a target man strike partner. I think Arma actually isn't too bad at being a bit of a pest. He can judge the flight of the ball, pick his spot and back in a bit. Granted he will never win a header but Graham just used to let it hit him or he was making sure the defender could only get half a boot or head on it. Dack then picked up the scraps and bobbling ball as Graham would make sure it was falling within 5 yards of him. 

Arma is far from the best at it but he can actually do it. And just letting it hit you is actually far more effective than Gallagher hurtling through the air like he's been shot out of a cannon to bonce the ball all the way through to the opposition keeper. 

We've not actually really played Dack in the 10 as part of a 4-2-3-1 behind Arma. Dack is terrible in a 4-3-3. He was a quaterback/right back when coming on against Coventry. The two players who I'd say actually don't fit into a system is Dack and Rothwell. Rothwell needs the 433 to thrive, Dack needs the 4231. I like Rothwell. But given our contrasting fortunes with the two formations I know which one I'd be going with. 

Edited by ben_the_beast