BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

Just now, JacknOry said:

Was hoping it would be done quickly today as said on the other thread. Good signing this, young, hungry, has pace and is a great finisher. A good season int he Championship and he will double/triple his value.

He needs to play in his best position to be effective. Hopefully Mowbray him in a front 2  because I don't think he'll get much change out of Championship defenders playing out wide - he just isn't good enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

He needs to play in his best position to be effective. Hopefully Mowbray him in a front 2  because I don't think he'll get much change out of Championship defenders playing out wide - he just isn't good enough. 

He's not a winger Jim, right or left. He's better running after the ball than with it. Normally his first natural movement is away from the ball not towards it. He's a striker pure and simple.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Did pretty well last season with his goal return - sure it was a league lower but I am confident TM can get the best out of him. Has always done well for TM and just having his pace is a big plus for us as we were lacking this massively.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

We ain't going to be playing with 2 up top though?Where are you playing Dack if Armstrong plays up front?

Very pleased with this one. Adds a different dimension.

Will be interesting to see how Armstrong and Palmer fit into a side that also features Dack. Once they are both match fit they could be devastating. Especially with Graham holding the ball up and being that clinical finisher.

How do you get all four of those into the side? Palmer may be limited to impact sub status.

CB cover and a deep lying play maker now. Being very greedy an understudy for Graham too.

Delighted with this signing. More happy that Venkys have given Tony some cash to spend on an actual transfer fee. It must be a while since the club spent on a real fee. 

21 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Very pleased with this one. Adds a different dimension.

Will be interesting to see how Armstrong and Palmer fit into a side that also features Dack. Once they are both match fit they could be devastating. Especially with Graham holding the ball up and being that clinical finisher.

How do you get all four of those into the side? Palmer may be limited to impact sub status.

CB cover and a deep lying play maker now. Being very greedy an understudy for Graham too.

Last time we played 4-2-4 was in the mid 1960's , we were awesome, a team chock full of goals. Ask anybody who saw that team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Great signing. Welcome back

And how do we fit Dack and Palmer into 4-4-2?

Armstronng mostly will play as a wide forward

We could take a leaf out of England's tactic book?

--------------------------------Raya

------------Lenihan----Mulgrew----Williams

Bennett-----Dack-----Smallwood---Palmer----Bell

----------------------Graham------Armstong

Edited by joey_big_nose

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There in lies the problem. The dreaded 3-5-2 looms again. If that's not the case I don't see how we're going to get the best out of Armstrong.

I think he played well from as part of the 3 behind Graham last season.9 goals in 21 matches was a good return too.

We all know he isn't a winger and we won't see him hugging the touchline and whipping crosses in but from the position he played last season you don't need to be an out and out winger.Good signing and I would be playing him in the position he played for us last season

59 minutes ago, den said:

Well you guys on here have seen far more of Armstrong than me, but from what I have seen I wasn’t impressed at all really. Not sure what function he serves in the team and seemed to disappear for long periods. Hopefully you’ll tell me that I’ve got that wrong. 

I saw a lot Den...he has bags of pace and a good finisher. 

Down to Mowbray to get the most from those attributes. 

I like him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There in lies the problem. The dreaded 3-5-2 looms again. If that's not the case I don't see how we're going to get the best out of Armstrong.

I don't know. Probably suits us with the players we have. 

I can't see how we play Williams, Dack, Palmer, Armstrong and Bell unless we go 352/532.

To be honest leaving out the likes of Evans and Samuel can only help us. And I think Dack and Palmer both have the physicality to be effective from deeper positions.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Whatever formation we play Dack simply must have that free role behind the striker. He is our key man and can make somthing happen on a consistent basis. He presses aswell and works really hard off the ball. He offers too much in that role to be dropped deeper or less centrally. 

• Like 2

Started the first two with 3 at the back and it was a complete disaster, think we started with it at Charlton too at the end of the season.

Then in a couple of games, Portsmouth away and Oldham at home we changed to it mid match when we were pushing for equalisers/winners and it worked quite well.

I'd personally be horrified if we went back to starting with it though, although I do still think that formation is in Mowbrays long term thinking.

On paper we do arguably have the players to use this system more so than our current formation. He has never seemingly liked out and out wingers and the Bell signing last season seems to be a bit odd unless it was for use in a system like 3 at the back. 

Not saying he will use it as our starting formation but he does like to have it as an option.

15 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

We could take a leaf out of England's tactic book?

--------------------------------Raya

------------Lenihan----Mulgrew----Williams

Bennett-----Dack-----Smallwood---Palmer----Bell

----------------------Graham------Armstong

Looks good on paper, you can bet it would be a complete disaster if it was put on the pitch though.

1 minute ago, TruRover said:

Whatever formation we play Dack simply must have that free role behind the striker. He is our key man and can make somthing happen on a consistent basis. He presses aswell and works really hard off the ball. He offers too much in that role to be dropped deeper or less centrally. 

I don't know, he's a superb allround player, and I think he could offer more if played deeper with the licence to get forward. He can drive the whole team.

Only way to accommodate a true free role for him is to play Armstrong and Palmer wide which I think really under uses their strengths.