BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Agreed, but think with the lack of signing proper wingers, and the need to utilise Bell we are heading in that direction.

It's all baseless speculation. I can't see a formation change just out of the blue this season. We may switch during games, but we will start with 4-2-3-1, as last season 

Lots of positives on this one, but still a bit of a gamble. He's not cut it at this level, (I believe he struggled for Bolton in the Championship before coming to us on loan.) Looked great in League 1, which indicates he should have the potential to make the step up. 

He also gives us much needed pace, knows the club, and should hit the ground running. A calculated gamble imo. 

• Like 2

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Because it has every other time we have started with it. It's not suddenly going to click now because we have Armstrong and Palmer in the team.

It wouldn't "suddenly click" but they could be working on it in training. I wouldn't be surprised to see it used during a game. I would be surprised to see us start with it 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It wouldn't "suddenly click" but they could be working on it in training. I wouldn't be surprised to see it used during a game. I would be surprised to see us start with it 

Yeah i said in a previous post that we switched to it in a couple of games last season and it appeared to work quite well, no issue with that as you have to have another plan up your sleeve.

I just hope we don't start with it again.

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah i said in a previous post that we switched to it in a couple of games last season and it appeared to work quite well, no issue with that as you have to have another plan up your sleeve.

I just hope we don't start with it again.

If we started with it and won I wouldn't care. If he starts it and we don't perform, the daggers will be out! 

Good signing but not enough in isolation.

Still need another striker and one or preferably two wide men as a matter of urgency imo.

Plus ideally  a back up centre half given we made the pointless decision to loan out Wharton which means we now have to spend money bringing someone else in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Is Palmer going to start ? 

Armstrong offers little threat as a wide forward

Well I would have thought so considering you signed him from Chelsea on loan for the season..

Armstrong offer little threat as a wide forward? ???

Didnt he scored 9 goals from 21 games from mainly wide? 

Mowbray will build his formation around Dack and rightly so. Armstrong will start from wide position but makes lots of runs in behind the defence/between their full back and centre defender. 

I guess someone has to be negative about this signing

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Is it a 3-2-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1? 

Its obvious which one it is of course but depends which way up you look at it!

4-2-3-1

23 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

We could take a leaf out of England's tactic book?

--------------------------------Raya

------------Lenihan----Mulgrew----Williams

Bennett-----Dack-----Smallwood---Palmer----Bell

----------------------Graham------Armstong

Would leave us wide open in centre midfield for. But Mowbray has to decide how to get the best out of this squad now..

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good signing but not enough in isolation.

Still need another striker and one or preferably two wide men as a matter of urgency imo.

Plus ideally  a back up centre half given we made the pointless decision to loan out Wharton which means we now have to spend money bringing someone else in.

What's pointless about giving the young lad an opportunity to play week in week out? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I guess someone has to be negative about this signing

I'm not alone in not rating him that highly.  From what I've seen I don't think he's good enough for the Championship. Hope I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I'm not alone in not rating him that highly.  From what I've seen I don't think he's good enough for the Championship. Hope I'm wrong.

I hope you are wrong Jim. 

Why he not good enough Jim? 

For me, more than good enough and he plays his best football under Mowbray. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Very pleased with this one. Adds a different dimension.

Will be interesting to see how Armstrong and Palmer fit into a side that also features Dack. Once they are both match fit they could be devastating. Especially with Graham holding the ball up and being that clinical finisher.

How do you get all four of those into the side? Palmer may be limited to impact sub status.

CB cover and a deep lying play maker now. Being very greedy an understudy for Graham too.

I think that Armstrong will be the impact sub for first part of the season.  Great to have someone with pace!

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

• Backroom

A touch of revisionism going on regarding Armstrong's impact last season. He had an incredible purple patch initially but faded away quite significantly towards the end. He has talent but whether he has enough for this level remains to be seen. I don't see the need to jump on others for expressing a cautious view. Considering Armstrong's previous form in this division it seems smart to take a balanced view of this signing. The potential is there for it to be a fantastic piece of business, but it could also be a largely ineffective transfer which keeps us at lower-end Championship/League 1 level. Either way we need more reinforcements before the deadline ends.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

The lad hasn’t kicked a Championship football in blue and white and people are saying he isn’t good enough! Can we just give people a chance please.

Please can we have some proof of this allegation, aside from jims comments. Vast majority of reaction has been positive so I would like some proof of people saying he isnt good enough. Too easy to spread myths like that.

Why the signing of a player we had to great success last year has evoked mass debate about new formations to fit him in. A 4-2-3-1 with Graham holding it up and Dack and Armstrong exploiting the space in behind was lethal. Add Palmer instead of Antonsson/Payne/Conway (or Bennett against better teams) and youve got a proven front 4.

And @chaddyrovers i though you was very pro 3 at the back? Would you stick to 4-2-3-1 for now?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Please can we have some proof of this allegation, aside from jims comments. Vast majority of reaction has been positive so I would like some proof of people saying he isnt good enough. Too easy to spread myths like that.

Why the signing of a player we had to great success last year has evoked mass debate about new formations to fit him in. A 4-2-3-1 with Graham holding it up and Dack and Armstrong exploiting the space in behind was lethal. Add Palmer instead of Antonsson/Payne/Conway (or Bennett against better teams) and youve got a proven front 4.

And @chaddyrovers i though you was very pro 3 at the back? Would you stick to 4-2-3-1 for now?

My reaction is one of caution. Players sometimes make systems work and sometimes the right system makes players look great. He could turn out to be the new David Bentley ( slightly different in style, I know )  or he could turn out to be the new Matt Derbyshire.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, JeffRover said:

Isn’t it strange how the people who shit on signings are also usually the first to say “oh well we’re going to lose him next summer” when proven wrong!

You’re just making stuff up now. You’ve no way of knowing if that’s true or not...

• Like 2

Thing is with this signing it represents huge money for us going off recent times but in the grand scheme of things it's peanuts even for Championship football. I don't think they'll lose out on the initial fee before add ons.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Thing is with this signing it represents huge money for us going off recent times but in the grand scheme of things it's peanuts even for Championship football. I don't think they'll lose out on the initial fee before add ons.

I'd agree with you there. We've got him quite cheaply. If he's a roaring success we'll be able to ask a good fee for him and if he isn't we won't lose out financially.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You’re just making stuff up now. You’ve no way of knowing if that’s true or not...

As a mod, why do you always get involved in this? You never comment to anyone with a more, cautious(negative) outlook picking up on their discussion point. One sided moderation is a slippery slope! 

There is a lot of unreasonable moaning and negativity on here. If a poster points it out you jump in "oh you can't be saying that, they are just being reasonable". Well no, not everyone is reasonble. Some posters are just negative moaners. 98% are not.

Some fans were saying all summer we wouldn't sign anyone for more than we spent on Dack. They said we couldn't afford Armstrong and would be "scurrying around" "begging"  for loans from Premier league clubs. In fact the window so far had been decent, with more to come it would seem. 

Is the world gone so politically correct that those who got it wrong can't be called out on that for fear of upsetting them? Nobody is insulting anyone, nobody is swearing. You would think we are 5 year old children with what can and can't be said sometimes. Seriously. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The current squad would suggest 4-2-3-1 in most games depending on form and injuries. 

• Like 1