BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

• Backroom

Chad - have you changed your view on Armstrong since first time we signed him.

Recall you saying he wouldn’t play out wide and only play up front.

Personally I think he’s a good option in both positions

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

As a mod, why do you always get involved in this? You never comment to anyone with a more, cautious(negative) outlook picking up on their discussion point. One sided moderation is a slippery slope! 

There is a lot of unreasonable moaning and negativity on here. If a poster points it out you jump in "oh you can't be saying that, they are just being reasonable". Well no, not everyone is reasonble. Some posters are just negative moaners. 98% are not.

Some fans were saying all summer we wouldn't sign anyone for more than we spent on Dack. They said we couldn't afford Armstrong and would be "scurrying around" "begging"  for loans from Premier league clubs. In fact the window so far had been decent, with more to come it would seem. 

Is the world gone so politically correct that those who got it wrong can't be called out on that for fear of upsetting them? Nobody is insulting anyone, nobody is swearing. You would think we are 5 year old children with what can and can't be said sometimes. Seriously. 

As a troll, why do you always have to cast aspersions on other posters?...On, wait...

• Like 1

Good signing - I was at MK away last season when he scored a cracker. Went from us defending to a long ball over the top for Armstrong -  serious pace took him away from the defender and he finished clinically. A great counter attacking goal. No reason why this won't work in the Championship especially with teams being more likely to push on against us. He gives us a real outlet.

50 minutes ago, Tom said:

Chad - have you changed your view on Armstrong since first time we signed him.

Recall you saying he wouldn’t play out wide and only play up front.

Personally I think he’s a good option in both positions

Different league now. Our squad now and with signings already made it suggest to me 4-2-3-1 should be main formation. No reason why you play Armstrong for the last 10/15 mins of games tho. He played this wide forward role excellent and with finishing, pace and movement. No reason why he cant do it again

Plus Dack is the main man. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

As a mod, why do you always get involved in this? You never comment to anyone with a more, cautious(negative) outlook picking up on their discussion point. One sided moderation is a slippery slope! 

There is a lot of unreasonable moaning and negativity on here. If a poster points it out you jump in "oh you can't be saying that, they are just being reasonable". Well no, not everyone is reasonble. Some posters are just negative moaners. 98% are not.

Some fans were saying all summer we wouldn't sign anyone for more than we spent on Dack. They said we couldn't afford Armstrong and would be "scurrying around" "begging"  for loans from Premier league clubs. In fact the window so far had been decent, with more to come it would seem. 

Is the world gone so politically correct that those who got it wrong can't be called out on that for fear of upsetting them? Nobody is insulting anyone, nobody is swearing. You would think we are 5 year old children with what can and can't be said sometimes. Seriously. 

To hazard a guess, his main role as moderator is to promote healthy debate. 

Shooting people down by calling them negative is at no point going to do this. People seem intent on spreading myths, I've had a flick through this thread, bar jim almost everyone else is in unanimous agreement that Armstrong is a good signing, yet you say "There is a lot of unreasonable moaning and negativity on here." and there are quotes like the one below that I highlighted earlier:

3 hours ago, JeffRover said:

The lad hasn’t kicked a Championship football in blue and white and people are saying he isn’t good enough! Can we just give people a chance please.

.Posts like stop moaning, stop being negative, are not healthy debate, in fact they are boring and factually incorrect.

Some fans were saying all summer we wouldn't sign anyone for more than we spent on Dack. They said we couldn't afford Armstrong and would be "scurrying around" "begging"  for loans from Premier league clubs. - This was an assumption based on more than one Mowbray article suggesting that business was slow due to waiting for Prem teams to come back from pre-season tours so we could loan players from them. Couple that in with Mowbray playing it cool on Armstrong, and key to it all, an undercurrent of distrust from the supporters to the owners and it was a fair assumption to make. Now we have spent on Armstrong, people are almost 100% happy with the deal.

As I said to @JeffRover please feel free to show me all of this negativity im missing and I'll hold up my hands and say im wrong.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Good signing - I was at MK away last season when he scored a cracker. Went from us defending to a long ball over the top for Armstrong -  serious pace took him away from the defender and he finished clinically. A great counter attacking goal. No reason why this won't work in the Championship especially with teams being more likely to push on against us. He gives us a real outlet.

Yes I was at that game too. MK left back was one of the worst I've seen in professional football. 

What you need to understand is not everybody has the same opinion as you . I wasn't at Saturday's game but lots of people said Nyambe was our best player. Some people said he was pretty poor and a weak link. One or two said he was our worst player. Those three groups can't all be right. That's what happens in football . It's a game of opinions. It's a Rovers Message board not the North Korean Central Committee. If Jim or any one else wants a moan this is the place to come.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A moderator, moderating content- whatever next?....

You’re Just perceiving it as being one-sided, which it isn’t, to be fair, far from it. More warnings and bans have been dished out to those on the ‘cautious’ side of the debate recently, I can guarantee you that. I’ll not name names, but think about who is currently not posting and you’ll not be far wrong....

Of course, we could just go straight to warnings and bans, but we would rather not do that. Everyone’s voice on here is equal and everyone contributes differently. Differing viewpoints are vital to any platform such as this and long may that continue. 

Anyway, Arma- happy with the signing, me.

Edited by K-Hod

“As a mod”! Ha, as though it precludes being a poster and having an opinion.

These guys are volunteers who don’t even get the kudos or feeling of altruism that normally comes with volunteering!

Maybe the site should be on a paid subscription basis so that those who do their best to keep the place at least polite get paid.

Unbelievable.

• Backroom

I can assure you from my own year as mod that it was bloody hard work and most of the effort goes unseen.

I'd guess that if you feel mods are targeting you, the mods aren't the issue but either the perceived intent of your posts, or the content.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I can assure you from my own year as mod that it was bloody hard work and most of the effort goes unseen.

I'd guess that if you feel mods are targeting you, the mods aren't the issue but either the perceived intent of your posts, or the content.

That's not true. I have been on many boards where mods have focused on personal agendas. Don't pretend it's any different here. 

Anyway, I don't think they are targeting me. Just targeting specific content that doesn't make sense to me, anyways. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

“As a mod”! Ha, as though it precludes being a poster and having an opinion.

These guys are volunteers who don’t even get the kudos or feeling of altruism that normally comes with volunteering!

Maybe the site should be on a paid subscription basis so that those who do their best to keep the place at least polite get paid.

Unbelievable.

Paid with balanced moderation. Sounds great. Ya, I don't think moderators should be wading in with their own views. From my experience, boards where people are one thing or the other works beast

Is the view nice from up there Stuart? Who said anything about them keeping the place polite. That wasn't what we were discussing. The mods do a decent job here by and large. I just think they are hyper sensitive to posters who say others are negative. Anyway, I couldn't be bothered saying anymore on it. Great window so far 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's not true. I have been on many boards where mods have focused on personal agendas. Don't pretend it's any different here. 

Anyway, I don't think they are targeting me. Just targeting specific content that doesn't make sense to me, anyways. 

I can tell you it's different. I started going all 'agenda' at one point and it went to shit. Ended up quitting because of the hassle it caused.

This site relies a lot more on self-moderation than most, hence the 'gentleman' nature of this mb.

I've not been on any mb as well nodded as this one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

A moderator, moderating content- whatever next?....

You’re Just perceiving it as being one-sided, which it isn’t, to be fair, far from it. More warnings and bans have been dished out to those on the ‘cautious’ side of the debate recently, I can guarantee you that. I’ll not name names, but think about who is currently not posting and you’ll not be far wrong....

Of course, we could just go straight to warnings and bans, but we would rather not do that. Everyone’s voice on here is equal and everyone contributes differently. Differing viewpoints are vital to any platform such as this and long may that continue. 

Anyway, Arma- happy with the signing, me.

There is moderating content and there is being involved in public discussions, not because they are breaking rules, but because you disagree with them. 

Anyway, I think the mods do a great job. Just seems they have a hyper sensitivity to negativity being called out or highlighted. 

Personally, I’m hyper sensitive about people being negative about the mods.

I enjoy your posts usually mate, but a bit tedious this.

Anyway, Armstrong is a great “wide forward” with the pace and intelligence to run in behind or run the channels and the ability to cut inside and create or unleash a banger. Pretty clinical finisher too.

Born for 4-2-3-1 and pretty much as you were from last season.

Confident he can step up.

Edited by S8 & Blue

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

There is moderating content and there is being involved in public discussions, not because they are breaking rules, but because you disagree with them. 

Anyway, I think the mods do a great job. Just seems they have a hyper sensitivity to negativity being called out or highlighted. 

Overall we just try to keep it on the straight and narrow, depending where your own viewpoint falls you may think we are being too lenient or too harsh to people of a certain viewpoint whilst others will see the opposite.

In the past before a period when a few prominent posters were banned many thought we were too lenient on their posting style whilst they felt we were singling them out for unfair punishment.

At times I personally hide comments when I feel there’s no value to having the post there, mainly when it’s purely sarcastic and just negatively impacts the ‘signal to noise’ ratio.

I also personally think @K-Hod is as neutral as they come and his actions back that up.

Maybe there’s some sensitivity from our side to try and stop trends forming (the happy clapper / Trembler days were pretty awful for all) but there’s probably also a level of hyper sensitivity when your own posts fall foul of any clean up.

Having said that I only offered to help Glenn and Ste and co as I was browsing so often it made sense, more than happy to step back as and when there are better options :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have a feeling its going to be a chaotic few days coming up. I wonder will we get any cheeky bids in for Dack? If I was Warnock I would lob in an 8 million bid, no bother 

Trying hard not to be negative but a bid for Dack wouldn't come as a shock. I think we've covered all the bases with him though hopefully. He's not ready for the Prem but one of our more wealthy rivals might be interested.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Trying hard not to be negative but a bid for Dack wouldn't come as a shock. I think we've covered all the bases with him though hopefully. He's not ready for the Prem but one of our more wealthy rivals might be interested.

I don't think saying we may get a bit for him is negative at all, it's pretty realistic. I wouldn't be surprised if Stoke or WBA bid either. I don't think we would accept less than 10ish, but it would be distracting. I can see a 6ish million bid coming in.. It would be soul destroying to accept a bid late in the window for him. Mowbray definitely wouldn't want to accept it anyway as it would leave us weaker, with no time to spend the money. I think things are being done differently at the club with Mowbray here, so fingers crossed. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I don't think saying we may get a bit for him is negative at all, it's pretty realistic. I wouldn't be surprised if Stoke or WBA bid either. I don't think we would accept less than 10ish, but it would be distracting. I can see a 6ish million bid coming in.. It would be soul destroying to accept a bid late in the window for him. Mowbray definitely wouldn't want to accept it anyway as it would leave us weaker, with no time to spend the money. I think things are being done differently at the club with Mowbray here, so fingers crossed. 

I was thinking West Brom, especially seeing they lost at home to Bolton on Saturday. As I said earlier we've done all we can to keep him. I can't complain there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Overall we just try to keep it on the straight and narrow, depending where your own viewpoint falls you may think we are being too lenient or too harsh to people of a certain viewpoint whilst others will see the opposite.

In the past before a period when a few prominent posters were banned many thought we were too lenient on their posting style whilst they felt we were singling them out for unfair punishment.

At times I personally hide comments when I feel there’s no value to having the post there, mainly when it’s purely sarcastic and just negatively impacts the ‘signal to noise’ ratio.

I also personally think @K-Hod is as neutral as they come and his actions back that up.

Maybe there’s some sensitivity from our side to try and stop trends forming (the happy clapper / Trembler days were pretty awful for all) but there’s probably also a level of hyper sensitivity when your own posts fall foul of any clean up.

Having said that I only offered to help Glenn and Ste and co as I was browsing so often it made sense, more than happy to step back as and when there are better options :)

You're not going anywhere!

I remember when I used to enjoy reading the forum. Now I just go through the reported content ticking things off, reply to messages and try and find ways to give people more chances. It's not as fun as it sounds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's only your opinion and not a matter of fact that the window so far has been "decent". I'd say that very much depends on the impact that Armstrong makes at Championship level. If he fails to make the step up and no-one else comes in I'd hazard a guess we'll probably be looking back at it as a poor window.

Conversely if he scores 20 goals I Don't suppose anyone will care if Rothwell Davenport and Palmer don't do anything much.

Still three days to go as well so things might look considerably different by tea time Thursday.

• Like 1