BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

9 minutes ago, Al said:

It will only become a "decent" if we get another centre forward to share the position with Danny Graham. We can't go on with Nuttall or Samuel up front for the last half hour of every match or when Graham is not available. Ideally we could do with at least one proper winger too instead of the "make do and mend" wide forwards that we are employing at the moment and the "way past his sell by date" Conway. Right back is also a problem with "pub team player" Caddis the only fall back if anything happens to Nyambe, who also needs to continue to improve.

These weaknesses are obvious to me and probably to everybody who watched the team last season and urgently need to be addressed.

To be fair, I think between Bennett and Travis, we have enough cover for Nyambe.

Winger and forward essential for me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Given the fact we no longer play with wingers that's always going to happen. My point is a real winger would get there more often and the crosses would be more meaningful. I was watching some old film of Scott Sellars murdering a team from out wide on the left the other day. It was like watching somebody playing another game to what we play.

One of my favourite all time Rovers is Scott Sellars I always thought of him as a winger but had a good debate with a mate who said he wasn't really an out and out winger. He pointed to Dalglish pretty quickly moving Sellars about then out the team in favour of very traditional up and down byline type wingers on both sides in Wilcox and Ripley.

Superb player though Sellars pity he was so tiny.

45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

One of my favourite all time Rovers is Scott Sellars I always thought of him as a winger but had a good debate with a mate who said he wasn't really an out and out winger. He pointed to Dalglish pretty quickly moving Sellars about then out the team in favour of very traditional up and down byline type wingers on both sides in Wilcox and Ripley.

Superb player though Sellars pity he was so tiny.

Yeah, wouldn't he be great to have in today's team. I was brought up on the two Mikes, Ferguson and Harrison. One a tricky mercurial dribbler and the other a very direct hard running player. We were spoiled in those days.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

It's not like every time we will score.

But if someone would like to keep a tab on every time Nyambe, Williams, Bell or whoever is playing there gets right up near the by-line then that would be useful! I think you'd be surprised how often they do tbh.

You'll need the back of a fag box, one pencil and no sharpener.

1 minute ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

there was an instance when Nyambe went right up to the byeline and poked a cross in that was helped on by Dack, caused mayhem.

That was a good move, just seen it again on highlights.

I think the score is now 2 ..... Any advance? 

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, wouldn't he be great to have in today's team. I was brought up on the two Mikes, Ferguson and Harrison. One a tricky mercurial dribbler and the other a very direct hard running player. We were spoiled in those days.

What is the average height of our squad I wonder.  I kind of celebrated at Rothwell being 6'1". 

You and I were indeed fortunate to see the two Mikes in their pomp and a shame no film to show the 'youngsters', like you it's imprinted in my memory banks. 

Sellars was class and hit a lot of  balls into the box from a deep inside left position, could put it on a sixpence. 

2 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

if it's of any consolation, same here. from memory, it was a left footer so we are probably too harsh on poor Corry

I'm 66 and can still hit a 25 yard shot hard and on target with either foot,  he's a bloody well paid pro! My 13 year old lad can too,  mind you he's a tad taller than our Corry! 

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I'm 66 and can still hit a 25 yard shot hard and on target with either foot,  he's a bloody well paid pro! My 13 year old lad can too,  mind you he's a tad taller than our Corry! 

let's see what other excuses I can come up with...

Corry's a defensive midfielder and he's more used to clearing the ball,

or...he's just not that good ?

ps: you have a tall laddie there

3 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

let's see what other excuses I can come up with...

Corry's a defensive midfielder and he's more used to clearing the ball,

or...he's just not that good ?

ps: you have a tall laddie there

OK let's settle on praising Corry for getting into such a forward attacking position and his bad luck on the scoring chance coming to a foot he uses normally just to stand on.  Lol. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Most impressive to me about this is that he's doing well even though he hasn't got a ton of creative support or service. He's always had the potential for this just never the consistency. I think most Rovers fans would have been happy if he had upped it to 1 in 3 instead of his previous 1 in 10 but it feels like of late he's doing much better than even that. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

His purple patches previously showed he had the potential, but he really seems to be realising it now. Had some stinkers earlier in the season which got him a bit of stick, but fair play to the lad he's buckled down and has shown a huge improvement as of late. Unquestionably our most important player with Dack and Holtby out injured. I hope that we'll see a similar surge in consinstent form from Rothwell before the season ends.

• Like 1

Every time a player hits a bit of form at Rovers it doesn't mean they should be slapped with a new contract. He's probably about halfway through a very good one right now.

However i can see there being a bit of interest in him by summer i mentioned early doors i thought he was this seasons 'project' to try and push on. If he carries on the same way till summer they've got to be putting ten million on his head to keep the vultures away.

• Like 3

Although I can see the temptation of playing Armstrong right on the defender's shoulder to utilise his pace in behind, I don't see it as his best position. Having now had the chance to assess his strengths and weaknesses properly, I believe he is best employed behind the main striker(s). He played there late on in both of the last two games and looked good there, with time to get on the ball and run centrally with it. This led to his goal last night and he looked such a threat from deeper. 

In fact, I think you could try Brereton centrally with Armstrong playing slightly deeper off him. If you throw Rothwell into that attacking mix it could look very exciting. 

• Like 4

Looks a genuine promotion quality player. Even when he was perceived to be playing poorly he creates chances for himself and others.

Reckon that makes 5 players in the squad good enough to go up - Dack, Lenihan, Travis, Downing, Armstrong. Nyambe and Tosin look on the cusp of that category too. 

Need 2 or 3 more and we will really be in the mix. Hope we can hold onto the ones we do have.